Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Let's talk about Rats

ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
Yes you heard it right, Rats.
But that's not limited to our little rodent friends as it applies to flies cockroaches and all type of bugs and pests that populate MMORPGs particularly EQ.

I've been watching the Twitch video again and I noticed the group fighting hordes of flies, snakes and what not during their adventures.
Do we really have to fight flies with our sword, and if we have, can we at least have proper tools like Fly Swatters?
Maybe I am alone in this but it doesn't feel really epic to me.

I actually like the fact that in Pantheon you are not the designed hero, the chosen one, and I am not asking to be able fight Zeus at lvl 1, but can we do away with having to fight bugs and pests as if they were the biggest threat to human kind survival?

If pests and bugs are such a nuisance can I suggest a better and more effective way to get rid of them?

httpsmogbazarfileswordpresscom201201khaleda-ziajpg  httpswwwallmysterydedateienuh609671278348080Raid_Insekten_Sprayjpg

Post edited by ste2000 on

Comments

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Haha, this reminds me of my first days in Ultima Online - went down the sewers and rats eat me alive - walked outside town and couldn't beat up a goat :)

the old mmos seems to like you to feel weak in the beginning and as you get stronger foes feels more epic too...

though my first memory of EQ as I walked out of kaladims gate was to fight skunks but fast enough took on the chessboard and moved towards Unrest..

To me its fine that the few starter levels don't feel epic, but rather feels like a fight to get your footage in the world. Like practice to be a revired warrior of some sort and art ;)
    jimmywolf
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    One platinum rat tails.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    ste2000 said:

I've been watching the Twitch video again and I noticed the group fighting hordes of flies, snakes and what not during their adventures.
    Do we really have to fight flies with our sword, and if we have, can we at least have proper tools like Fly Swatters?
    Maybe I am alone in this but it doesn't feel really epic to me.

I actually like the fact that in Pantheon you are not the designed hero, the chosen one, and I am not asking to be able fight Zeus at lvl 1, but can we do away with having to fight bugs and pests as if they were the biggest threat to human kind survival?

If pests and bugs are such a nuisance can I suggest a better and more effective way to get rid of them?
    Fast forward a few years to the VR MMO:

ste2000 says:

"Do I really have to physically swat these flies with my hands?  Why can't I just use my sword and kill them like any other monster?  That would be epic."
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    ^^^
    Or maybe we can have a mini game instead.......

httpsteamsgamescomwp-contentuploads201611Slap-The-Fly-Free-Download-PC-Gamejpg

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    if i dont kill 10 rats on my 1 quest i will be dissapointed !!!
    DMKano said:
     March 1999 Outside of Freeport gates... noobs fighting vermin 
    I will say, there's something particularly amusing about seeing noobs fleeing from a swarm of rats, desperately running towards the guards.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    what's more ridiculous.......running from rats attacking or the dreaded and vicious deer of EQ2? 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Dullahan said:

lol that rat skipped leg days :lol:
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    DMKano said:
    And being kicked to death by snakes.
    DMKano said:
    And being kicked to death by snakes.
    I hope you can see the irony in your sentence. =)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i would personally like to see more plausible realism in these games.Rats would not pose any threat at all but perhaps you might catch some disease.

I really cringe when i see devs give creature magic casting when no way in hell they should be casting magic.How about Stuns,i do not like seeing some minuscule punk ass creature stunning a fully geared Paladin tank,it is not plausible.I could think of many more ideas like this that just don't make any sense.

Can i please have a game that makes sense 99% of the time?

lmao my brain is always working,just gave me an idea for hate mechanics that i doubt i have seen yet...hmmm

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    I don't object to vermin for the first few levels.  What I object to is they bring out an expansion and what do you see?  Level 50 rats... give me a break (or a level 50 rat trap :) ).
    edited January 2017
    Scott23 said:
    I don't object to vermin for the first few levels.  What I object to is they bring out an expansion and what do you see?  Level 50 rats... give me a break (or a level 50 rat trap :) ).
    Screenshot

King Itkary

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Yeah FFXI was the worst offender. I'll kill low level rats so that one day I might kill giants or dragons, not lv 50 rats.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    EQ trivia: supposedly the first mob they created during development was a rat in Q hills named Scruffy.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My first few min in EQ1 was my rolling a big Ogre. I was walking around the starting city and saw a small little armadillo and thought I was a giant and would squish said armadillo. Had not learned how to con things, had no clue and within a few min of playing was slain by something smaller then my avatars foot. Bring on the rats :) 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The rats are very loud they seem to be shuffling their feet when walking in the beginning area of Qeynos and Freeport in between the click clacking of the fire beetles.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I remember killing sewer rats in Neocron with a knife, because that's why you want to play a Sci-fi futuristic game! They were giant mutant rats, and my knife crapped out after killing a few. You guys can have your good old days! Mine started with CoH.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Yeah FFXI was the worst offender. I'll kill low level rats so that one day I might kill giants or dragons, not lv 50 rats.

We used to joke about having an "Omega Rabbit" in FFXI.  But, it really was the worst, I mean, I remember the first three areas I fought in, the rats all looked identical, were the same size, same color, etc.  Just one was called a "rabbit", next one was "Plains rabbit", then "Highlands Rabbit", or whatever.  Either way you were getting the shit kicked out of you by a rabbit.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Hrimnir said:

We used to joke about having an "Omega Rabbit" in FFXI.  But, it really was the worst, I mean, I remember the first three areas I fought in, the rats all looked identical, were the same size, same color, etc.  Just one was called a "rabbit", next one was "Plains rabbit", then "Highlands Rabbit", or whatever.  Either way you were getting the shit kicked out of you by a rabbit.
    Well, on that note:

Anyone remember the killer snow bunnies in Velious EQ1?  You used to always hear rumors about it, like bigfoot, but you never knew if they were true... unless you saw one yourself.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have it on good authority that there will be ill tempered sea bass as well. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Nanfoodle said:
    My first few min in EQ1 was my rolling a big Ogre. I was walking around the starting city and saw a small little armadillo and thought I was a giant and would squish said armadillo. Had not learned how to con things, had no clue and within a few min of playing was slain by something smaller then my avatars foot. Bring on the rats :) 
    Thats a lot how dragons must feel when players kill them.

• DagimirDagimir Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Everquest level 1 fighting rats. Everquet level 100 fighting epic level rats. What a joke.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Warlyx said:
    Dullahan said:

lol that rat skipped leg days :lol:
    My 22 lbs black cat kind of looks like that lol.