Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan Exiles AMA

nusquamnusquam FuncomMember, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 62
Hi all, my name is Joel Bylos and I am the Creative Director at Funcom.

Please start posting your questions and I will start the AMA in about 40mins or so. I will update this post when I begin.

Comments

• AkeemaAkeema Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I know there will be mounts in the game, but have you guys considered animal husbandry of anykind yet? I would love the possibility of breeding animals for food/mounts/companions one day as it is often my chosen role in games as it is in real life!

To ask a similar question: Will it be a possibility to have animals for combat like you do thralls? I would love to have big cats or other animals guarding my rooms inside or out on a hunt with me.

I know it is still early in development to know for sure, but I'd love to know if these are something you guys are thinking about for the future. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to answer our questions! You guys have impressed me at every turn with your open discussions, videos, and engagement! I can't wait to hop in Conan at the end of the month!
  • MajuntaMajunta Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited January 2017
    1. We know that the weapon and equipment degrades from use (even the brutal air takes it toll on the weapons!), will we be able to repair the items or is it just a use and replace system? Also, does the effectiveness of the item degrade as well?

2. In the future updates, will there be some version of enchantment/imbue system for the items we craft? And if so, please give some consideration to having rare materials drop throughout the world that will need to be gathered for this mechanic.

3. Could we see a special trainer that would randomly spawn in the world to unlock new skill? Random so we can not just go to some website and find where to unlock say, whirlwind strike...also make it so when he teaches someone he then either moves and/or not appear for X amount of days. Keep things rare and interesting out in the world.

4. In one of the videos we saw target practice with a bow, will this also increase your skill in the ability?

Thanks @nusquam for your time!
  • QueenSkadiQueenSkadi Member CommonPosts: 6
    How Does the religion system work? Will it be a simple tribute for favor type system or something more complex like requiring worshipers of a particular god to behave in a certain way (for instance Yog followers being forbidden from eating plants and only being allowed to eat meat)? Do all members of the tribe need to follow the same religion?
  • tashalorentashaloren Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Can you tell us more about the magic user's in the game? More specifically would I be able make a "crazy-wizard woman" very much like the The Wizard from the Conan the Barbarian that was played by Mako?
  • ktommo10ktommo10 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Hi Joel With the guild/Clan system you have inplace does this mean that all your guildies need to be the same race/religion or will you allow multiple races and religions to form a guild 
  • AtydanAtydan Member CommonPosts: 5
    Will there be any kind of currency or will we have to barter? Or - to put it in another way - will there be any crafting-skill that inables a player to convert materials in coins?
  • aheedthegreataheedthegreat Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Hi Joel,

Thanks for doing the AMA, I got two questions:

1. What is the max level currently?

2. Are there any caps on how many points you can put into certain stats?
  • AtydanAtydan Member CommonPosts: 5
    Is there any chance of an AoC-like combat-system? Pretty please!  :3

• John_RekkerJohn_Rekker Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Hi there Joel 

I firstly want to thank you for this "Ask me anything" opportunity and letting us get some big questions out the way. 
    Well here Goes

1.) Joel some of us have played a lot of online Sandbox survival games where building your base and getting powerful has become second nature to some of us and I would like to know what is Conan Exiles looking to maybe do in the future that will make us the Exiles play this over maybe other survivals ? 

2.) The character customization looks quiet cool already, everyone has their own way of wanting their heroes to look which I am a big fan of, I would like to ask do you plan on giving any of the races maybe special abilities or tributes towards maybe what their tribes where good at in historical times, that would maybe change the way multiplayer is played for example if we were to find friends online of different tribes Maybe they could cook faster or move faster or even have maybe abilities to make special items in the future of the Game ? 

3.) Conan Exiles to me seems like the new age of sandbox survival which I am excited to play, The map looks amazing as well, do you plan on allowing Modding at a later stage of development ? and are you planning on bringing Expansions to the game at all ? 

4.) What Anti Cheat software are you planning on releasing with your game to avoid the hacker and exploiting type of guys who make it unpleasant to play the game which could ruin our experience of Conan Exiles?  

5.) Will servers be Capped to a certain amount of players or will server providers be able to change that in their server management ?  

6.) How long very Roughly is Conan Exiles planning on being in development? Have you guys made a deadline in the years to come ?  

7.) What has been your guys biggest challenge in the development so far Joel ?

8.) Last one Joel I would like to know what games have you played in this field of Sandbox survival that give you your experience in the development of your awesome game to come ?

Thank you ! 
    Regards
    John Rekker 
    Goodluck with this amazing Game ! 

• CimmerianZugCimmerianZug Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited January 2017
    1)  Will you guys share a road map with the community?
    Like sharing all the ETA's on patches and its contents.

2) How long will be the Early Access phase?

3) How many servers there will be and where will they be located?

Post edited by CimmerianZug on
  • WoodyK20WoodyK20 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Good evening :)

"Will there be publicly available server files, if so, have the recommended server specs been determined yet?"
  • HeavypointHeavypoint Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited January 2017
    How exactly will the religions work? Will each religion have a different way to direct their Avatar?
  • XessiahXessiah Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Hi Joel!
    I have 2 questions:
    1. We already know about thralls, but what about fauna? Can we tame beasts or something else (like dino's in ARK)?
    2. Sorcery. What about it? We can cast "fireball" or what?

• tumyuetumyue Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited January 2017
    Hi Joe,
    Will have the characters talents tree?
  • TanoramaTanorama Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Do foundations block resource spawns? if so in theory could somebody build foundation all across the map and block all the resources? 

• HallskarHallskar Member UncommonPosts: 15

Hey Joel!

1. Will a character’s appearance and size affect player Hitboxes during Combat? Will a character’s limb/extremity appearance determine what distance/length a player’s swing will be? (Example: A very long armed character has more reach with his weapons. The larger the character, the larger the Hitbox area is)

2. The Avatar System looks incredible. Jens stated that “You control the avatar”. Does that mean we will be in First Person/Third Person when controlling the Avatar, and able to move around with similar movements like our regular character? What does the Set Avatar (Serpent) do? Does it protect an area when activated?

3. Why are there separate color coded bars for the Encumbrance Icon? When you are in the yellow, does that mean your movement speed is affected? Does Encumbrance affect a player’s movement and sprint speed?

4. Can you just give us one detail or hint about the “Physique” system and how that affects us players? You and Jens did say it was going to be a surprise, and some “Cool shit” to come.

Wanted to say thank you for doing the Livestreams every two weeks! Just hope you and Jens do a few more than regular before EA launches.

• AriellynAriellyn Member CommonPosts: 3
    Will there be different/separate servers for pvp and pve?  And how many players can be on a server?

• VyperUKVyperUK Member CommonPosts: 1
    Will there be opportunities for users to develop custom modifications for the game to e.g. add new items?

Many thanks :)
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited January 2017
    Good Morning Joel,

What time line is this set in, will Age of Conan players see similarities or locations from AoC?
  • Flipflop115Flipflop115 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hey Joel,

I was wondering if there would ever be a way to change your characters appearance after your character has already been created? Maybe through a mind wipe or something similar. Thanks for all of your hard work!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Thanks for doing this Joel ...

First off, I'm very excited for this. Love the combat system as well as the art design.

My question is if there will be tombs, dungeons, caves, essentially places to explore, to discover. And what size are we talking about? Will they just be one or two rooms or perhaps something more involved with many passages/rooms?

If so, how many will be included at Early Access as well as release (keeping in mind that obviously things can change over the course of development).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rickswirickswi Member CommonPosts: 4
    Hi Joel,
    Can you go ever the stats and give us a brief explanation of what each stat is applied in the game and how it effects game play
  • lordgraalordgraa Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Hey Joel,

wish you all the best in 2017!

Q: Will you use community translations for CE like others did (ARK or LIF for example) - https://crowdin.com/ We are eager to translate CE into our native language (Czech) to share the love and blood among our tribe!

Thanks for your time and answer.

LG
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Hiya Joel :waving:

I know it is mandatory for the Early Access, but maybe after release there's a chance for a version not clutched in Gabe's hands? I know on the TSW forums there was a fairly long (and heated / steamy) debate on the topic for both The Park and for Hide&Shriek. For The Park it took a year to the release on gog.com, that timeframe sounds reasonable...
    So, in short, the question would be: Is there a non-steam version of Exiles in the plans, for later?

Bonus question, since it bugs me quite a while now :wink:
    TSW, Issue#6, the City before us mission (as I remember you were out of the bunker already by that time).
    The language there, is it just gibberish on some made-up tongue, or I simply need to upgrade my google-fu skills and find the right language? :lol:
    (yep, bugs me since years, every time I replay that mission I'm like: "damn, still no clue on what he says..." )
  • NativKaeNativKae Member UncommonPosts: 4

Hello to you Joel! I introduce myself Kael, I am French and my English is not perfect and I apologize :( a question I would have for you is: At the level of the slaves in Conan exiles the function will be available at the exit of the games, and the number of slaves per players will have a limit? And how did you get this idea that is great? And what impact this will have on the games has long therme.
This discussion has been closed.