Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want the feeling of pure danger

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
I want to have that old feeling of danger, possibly worst than ever before.  Not all the time, I hope VR Realms can strike that perfect balance.

By perfect balance, I'm talking about times where you feel safe too, where you can do stuff by yourself (get your shit together), or solo that one level so you can even up with your friends.  But more often times where you have to make a decision to leave that safe haven and do the unthinkable if we as a group decide to venture.

I'm a little unclear how quest work.  Guessing from the Stream footage, they may not be kill 10 pigs in a farmers field.  But more Skyrim like where you have to cross great lands to get to the objective.  It's hard to say, VR Reams may have decided to mess around getting to different points just to display how groups work together in the footage we had......Quest may be robust, or we could still have the 10 pigs too.  I'm hoping for more robust !

What ever they decide, I PRAY THEIR NOT CHAIN QUEST.  Chain quest make it hard to get players together.  Who is on part 4?........Looking for others on part 4, anyone?.....You get the drift !

Like in Skyrim, I want unknown surprises, like that chest behind that tree or a great sward hidden in a craves after falling down a secret hole hidden in the tall grass. 

Like in the footage, I want anomalies to overcome.  Not just an Orc camp, but one guarded by nasty archers, or have a group stumble on a strange object that could weaken an unsuspecting party for an hour, or take a chance and have everyone cross a weaken bridge over looking a deep gorge.  All this with great music.

All this in trying to accomplish a single quest ! 

I day dream a lot, I could make great stories in my head.   I just hope it becomes a reality :)

Comments

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    They're taking the singularity approach, where as many classes will be useless without a group, just like in EQ 1
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    They should add huge death penalties to the game, like losing a day's worth of exp at higher levels as well as needing to go back to your corpse naked in order to get all your gear back!
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Well you could take your laptop and play this game outside at night in Chicago...that would be pure danger I guess...
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    DMKano said:
    The best way to add a feeling of pure danger for most Pantheon fans is:

Every time any player dies, the game does an RNG roll to add a cash shop to Pantheon.

I cant think of anything else that would terrify OP more.

I can confirm that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    The best way to add a feeling of pure danger for most Pantheon fans is:wwll

Every time any player dies, the game does an RNG roll to add a cash shop to Pantheon.

Besides making it solo friendly and adding a dungeon finder? ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    DMKano said:
    Well you could take your laptop and play this game outside at night in Chicago...that would be pure danger I guess...

Or parts of St. Louis, or Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston... any large city in US that has a major poverty and crime problems.
    This is true..I mentioned Chicago because they have the highest murder rate...he wants pure danger.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    The best way to add a feeling of pure danger for most Pantheon fans is:

I'm sitting here thinking of a good come back but I can't........You got me good :)
  • Hokanu99Hokanu99 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Agree with all your post @delete5230  I think we will be pleasantly surprised! :)
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    This will be tough no matter how good the game is.  Your first MMO has the allure of the unknown.  Once you have played several you get jaded.  Hopefully I am mistaken, but only my first MMO gave me that feeling of danger.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Try wrestling a bear.
    That should get you going.

• tatertoadtatertoad Member UncommonPosts: 26
    It's going to be 'yuge AND dangerous!  Deadly even, as in  your actual character may actually die and there will be actual consequences.

Hey they said it's not for everybody.  Remember that when you lose connection / power / etc on a boatride!  
  • CaseyxCaseyx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    All I remember is how freaked out I was the first time I fell into that trap in the tree on the top level of Blackburrow. I made it out without dying and considered it a huge accomplishment.

Then there was that time Choon and Froon aggroed my RL friends group and we panicked and ran in multiple directions. The screams of terror over the phone was the best part and how we all laughed at our panic later was the best.

My first trip into Unrest...and hearing a Hag on the other side of the hedge scared me enough I ran back to the tunnel exit. I wasn't aggroed, it was just the that creepy sound and the real fear of what in the hell was over there...

I haven't played much of anything in the last few years, hardly any MMO's really, but a few open world games like Dying Light did a good job of making me fear the consequences of my actions. I hope that's proof to myself that I'm not too jaded to get deeply immersed back into a real replacement for what I always felt EQ was.

Just like how I remember EQ looking way better than it actually does in my screenshot archive, I hope I am not hyping it up to much.

Caseyx

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    DMKano said:

I can. A cash shop you access from a saddlebag on a pink unicorn mount followed by a blue kitten pet. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:

I can. A cash shop you access from a saddlebag on a pink unicorn mount followed by a blue kitten pet. 
    This cash shop garbage should offend any self respecting gamer. Sadly that isn't the case these days.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Yeah sure danger. Just don't repeat the mistakes of old eq, where death in certain places means it is impossible to recover corpses from (for example zones that prevent summon corpse, locked doors, see invis mobs). Personally I enjoyed old eq zones a hell lot more when guild hall summoning was possible, because it made me actually interested in going deep into dangerous places, knowing if I wipe down there it is if everything else fails, possible to recover my gear at least - the price can be discussed, a guildhall summon should cost much more than it did, for example unrezzable char would be a hefty price. Risk vs reward curve that does not end in impossible like eq did - that is still "danger".
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:

Uh oh, should we remove things like this from the game? ;)
    Kilsin said:
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:

As long as you leave the cat/rabbit ears costumes in, sure.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Kilsin said:
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:

As long as you leave the cat/rabbit ears costumes in, sure.

I guess its not worth getting pumped up for a game that not releasing for a long time :(
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you want to add real danger to your MMO, simply release some vipers in you gaming area.  That should get your blood pumping.  At least, you'll have some incentive to get your asp out of bed in the morning.

Harsh death penalties don't scare me.  I am far more disappointed when I die, frustrated about the lack of ways my character had to deal with the issue.  I am annoyed with the often insane time penalties / requirements an 'old-school' death imposed, the only thing worse is a recovery timer that guarantees you have to stay in the game longer than intended.  I would feel dumb when I did something dumb that I could have prevented.  Fear doesn't enter the equation.  Never did.

I have no real interest in games that want to punish me excessively for a character's death.  I might have simply lost my internet connection, or the power to the house may have gone out -- why am I facing the same penalty as if I had done something stupid?  I've done that all before.  I'd rather have new things to try.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kilsin said:
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:

Hell no.
    And please make sure there is a Mankini available with a Mana Buff, make it available in different colors please.

httpiebayimgcomimagesg6qsAAOSweW5U2YKPs-l400jpg

ste2000 said:
    Kilsin said:
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:

Hell no.
    And please make sure there is a Mankini available with a Mana Buff, make it available in different colors please.

httpiebayimgcomimagesg6qsAAOSweW5U2YKPs-l400jpg

I will never be able to "unsee" this image. O.o

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    play elite dangerous

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • MaveinMavein Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I used to play on Mith Mar server in EQ1 and danger of losing your corpse made the game a lot of fun haha.

I remember hearing that even the GMs wouldn't be able to get your corpse back from under Vox....so after a wipe we had to wait for Afterlife to go in and kill her so we could retrieve our corpses.

Then there were the Plane of Hate corpse recovery's that could take all weekend....so yea...there was no dicking around during raid time or you could, in fact, loose your corpse with all your gear.

Good times.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Mavein said:
    I used to play on Mith Mar server in EQ1 and danger of losing your corpse made the game a lot of fun haha.

I remember hearing that even the GMs wouldn't be able to get your corpse back from under Vox....so after a wipe we had to wait for Afterlife to go in and kill her so we could retrieve our corpses.

Then there were the Plane of Hate corpse recovery's that could take all weekend....so yea...there was no dicking around during raid time or you could, in fact, loose your corpse with all your gear.

Good times.

That doesn't sound fun in the least.  I get that Pantheon is going to cater to more oldschool minded players but nobody is going to play it with EQ1 penalties, even the vets like me who think they might lol.