Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship of Heroes Wants to Be Your Hero, Baby a Interviews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageShip of Heroes Wants to Be Your Hero, Baby a Interviews at MMORPG.com

Ship of Heroes is a new, but quickly progressing indie MMO from
Heroic Games, a studio founded on the idea that City of Heroes needs a true successor to fill its void in the MMORPG market. We spoke with CEO Casey McGeever about Ship of Heroes, what it's all about, and how progress on development is being made.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    edited January 2017
    I am glad to see I wasn't the only one that felt like a part of their life was missing when COH stopped running :) Excited to see someone working on something like it..
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2017
    It's the powers and the way they blended and the different ways you could play in a group. You could play support buffer or crowd control and be a healer too and various roles and groups could be full of  7 shielders with a debuffer and you could do content like that very interestingly. The game allowed 8 Masterminds to stomp their way through missions in utter chaos. This is why we loved City of X for me it was not about the super hero thing.

For me this is why DCUO and Champions never filled that void.
    Chamber of Chains
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I could be wrong but I have no faith in another Super hero game that will not allow a user to freely switch and combine /respec their powers on a single characters this is where DCUO could have been great but was ruined because they put in housing but you couldn't freely swap powers / weapon sets.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well... As much as i would like a new CoH... This release is way to long in to the future for me to be hyped.

This have been a good conversation

• davezordavezor Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited January 2017
    Showing off screenshots and a video that are full of Unreal 4 starter assets is not a good way to build hype. Someone could've thrown all this together in an afternoon.
    Don't be a dum dum.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    davezor said:
    Showing off screenshots that have Unreal 4 starter assets in them is not a good way to build hype.
    at this point in development.... It is that or grey box.... 

This have been a good conversation

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    What about City of Titans? How is development on that going? The market can only handle so much. There may not be the customers to support two more superhero MMOs unless DCO and/or CO shut down first, the new games may not have a chance to get their footing.
  • xIRLxxIRLx Member CommonPosts: 7
    edited January 2017

davezor said:

Showing off screenshots and a video that are full of Unreal 4 starter assets is not a good way to build hype. Someone could've thrown all this together in an afternoon.

Uh... wuh???... having played with UE4 quite a bit myself (it's a hobby) I definitely have to disagree. The only thing I see in any of the screenshots that comes with UE4 is that robot. The rest of the stuff is either custom made or purchased assets. If I had to guess I'd say they've been working on it for longer then they're letting on.

Looks promising. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Seems like they got a ways to go but the idea is interesting. What would top it off is if you could also explore planets since it is a ship traveling in space. That would be cool.
  • BlueProteusBlueProteus Member UncommonPosts: 85

davezor said:

Lol, as the environment artist working on the project, I can assure you it's not "full of Unreal 4 starter assets"! As for throwing it all together in an afternoon, if you're capable of that my hat is off to you, and I look forward to seeing your results! 8)

Playing: Various Stuff
    Played: AC, AoC, ArcheAge, BDO, CoX, EQ2, Eve, GW, LotRO, Ryzom, SWG, SWtOR, Vanguard, WoW, Etc.

• VodunVodun Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Glad to see it will not be Free to Play, I really miss COH/V and look forward to this.
  • TobrukTobruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Costume contest starting in 5 min under the Arch.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Alverant said:

What about City of Titans? How is development on that going? The market can only handle so much. There may not be the customers to support two more superhero MMOs unless DCO and/or CO shut down first, the new games may not have a chance to get their footing.

City of Titans is still coming along. May be a way's away but far as I know the released date will be sometime in 2018? Of course City of Titan's website can give you more information than what I can. I'll gladly take more superhero mmo's. I wish Ship of Heroes (Even though I dislike the name :P) the best and hopefully a successful kickstarter. :) I'm keeping my eye on both these games.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    There are actually four CoX spiritual successors in the pipeline. City of Titans seems like a DCUO'y CoH; Valiance online seems like a Champions'y CoH; the other two seem the most sold on being true spiritual successors, Ship of Heroes and Heroes and Villains. Of the two, SoH seems to be trying to combine CoH combat and mission types in an EQ2 type world. That ain't a bad idea. The other, Heroes & Villains, is trying to be the most like CoH was without inciting legal action. My money will be behind H&V, but that does not mean I am ignoring the others.

CoH was great, and my favorite game of all time. Does that mean it was perfect? Uh, if it was perfect it would still be running. Somebody has the right combo, or at least a better combo, to make an even better CoH. So keep an eye on all of them. Really, there is only enough player base to support at most two of them well, unless all four of them do so well that CO and DCUO shut down (long shot on that; DCUO has the HUGE advantage of being on both major consoles).

I did a rather extensive breakdown on all four in this thread. http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/459433/the-current-upcoming-state-of-superhero-games#latest All of this is based on conjecture, since there is not enough info an any of the new titles to be absolutely yes or no on anything.

I am hoping the very best for all four titles, along with existing titles. I will be playing the IMO two best exclusively once we have them all on the table. Right now I am playing DCUO and enjoying it enough that I subbed, but it is lacking in a few areas that CoH supplied in spades.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A breathe of fresh air to see daylight instead of dungeons and instances.However way too early to say but it looks low budget,ok for a low budget game but so far,not good enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

A breathe of fresh air to see daylight instead of dungeons and instances.However way too early to say but it looks low budget,ok for a low budget game but so far,not good enough.

How much of a budget can we expect given the current state of MMOs? Are we willing to accept lower quality graphics in our game? We're not talking AAA games here, sorry. What made the CoH designer so great was that it was versatile and if you crank up the graphics you're going to lose that versatility.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    It is also stated that they'll be running a Kickstarter event this year to help fund the game. For Heroes and Villains I've yet to see any actual gameplay or footage of the game just talk. With CoT & SoH using the UE4 I'm looking forward for these two the most. But I bet you that in either game.. Batman, Hulk or Superman will be the among the first you'll see people make :P

How is the lantern powerset in DCUO by the way?
    "You won't lose your carefully-built appearance when you equip a special armor piece or upgrade. That would be disappointing."
    Bout time someone figured that out.

I'm also curious about how resource gathering and crafting are going to work in a superhero game.

And will there be magic? This sounds more sci-fi. I love sci-fi but one of the great things about the superhero genre is that you can incorporate anything into your character.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have not played around in the Unreal engines in a while but i would say some of those textures definitely look like freeware assets.None the less i still would need to hear about the MOST important part of a game like this.
    IS it simply a bunch of players stand out in the middle and spam their abilities at each other,or is there going to be a really good combat structure?

I played Unreal Tournament for a long time,i actually love pvp but i have not seen anything since that i want to play.Well early COD of course was great,millions got into that until it turned into a cheat fest and a rpg wannabe.

The artwork does look nice but is it playable,does it offer anything to pvp or is it just there to look good?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    It is also stated that they'll be running a Kickstarter event this year to help fund the game. For Heroes and Villains I've yet to see any actual gameplay or footage of the game just talk. With CoT & SoH using the UE4 I'm looking forward for these two the most. But I bet you that in either game.. Batman, Hulk or Superman will be the among the first you'll see people make :P

How is the lantern powerset in DCUO by the way?
    H&V has done some short animation videos, but they are working with a game engine that is still under development, HeroEngine 2, so it may be a bit before they release any gameplay.  H&V has said they won't have a Kickstarter until the game is 80% done, which should mean that people are playing it.

I'm also excited to see a UE4 hero game.  UE4 has some incredible visuals.

And I am expecting for any of these games that just like in CoH, lots of people made 'Superman', but no one could call him that...

They have multiple Lantern sets in DCUO.  The Green/Yellow Lanterns (controllers, although I have yet to see anyone play one in anything but DPS mode) seems to be some of the best DPSers in the game.  I just started a Red Lantern to make into a tank, but the DPS on this character is crazy.  I will reevaluate the role this character will play once I get the chance to tank in a team.  And I am expecting another Lantern set sometime soon (blue maybe?) that is a healer.  Might as well have Lanterns in every role!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    As much as I enjoyed CoH back in the day, it would have been much better for the studio to make a modern successor with modern features like action combat instead of making something that looks like a xpac from the 90s using tab targeting. I will be passing on this game if they stay this course.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Big no to action combat
    Chamber of Chains
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I wish them luck, never did understand the decision to deep six COH.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i just want to teleport around like in COH , that awesome teleportation system , it could be improved like using the wheel to choose the distance but still on of the best

and like every1 said it wasnt the hero theme (it helped no doubt) it was that 8 anything could work , even 8 supports could finish content (slowly but no1 died or was even in risk of dying) , hell i remember 8 ice controllers :o was awesoooome lol , 8 scrapper was a bit risky but doable :D

/sigh i miss COH a lot
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

champions online was supposed to be the successor in away and ncsoft didn't want 2 super hero games.
    No connection to that, CO and CoH lived alongside well for years, before the closure, both as p2p and as f2p games. CoH was closed by the penny pinching of Nc, and not by anything with CO.

Warlyx said:
    i just want to teleport around like in COH , that awesome teleportation system , it could be improved like using the wheel to choose the distance but still on of the best
    Yep, in most cases CO has better travel powers, but teleport in CoH was really great, and better than CO's. (and speed is better in DCUO than in CO :wink:  )