Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wall Hack out already for Star Marine

124»

Comments

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    DrunkWolf said:
    MaxBacon said:
    I saw this today lol, work on hacks for one alpha? No idea why, there's no win from it at all, side of annoying other people. >.>

But end of the day is good exploiting to start at earlier stages, so this can be dealt with in due time so when the game is out and stuff is for real they won't be much of a problem. 

Until then, let them exploit the hell of the game xD
    Name one game that was hacked in beta/alpha and was able to deal with the problem when the game was launched.

If its already hacked now then it will only get worse.
    That is the exact opposite mentality that I would expect from anyone with a head on their shoulders. Exploits and third party apps give developers real-world fodder for anti-exploit implementation. It is a good thing for the health of the game that people are exploiting the program now. That is one of the purposes of Alpha/Beta testing. If exploits were not being implemented at this stage of development, but were later implemented at a later stage (possibly post-launch), the repercussions would be far worse (both financially and gameplay-wise).
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited January 2017
    @Kefo Remember some of this can be considered illegal activities so I don't think you would easily claim your legal rights by committing something that can be borderline-illegal.

On Japan (and South Korea), you can even get arrested for cheating on online games, ofc on the areas we live (unless you're Japanese) it's taken far more lightly. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    MaxBacon said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    Name one game that was hacked in beta/alpha and was able to deal with the problem when the game was launched.

If its already hacked now then it will only get worse.
    Black Desert Online, The Division, etc... Darn even GTA V had massive issues with hacks.
    On all of those titles hacking was a big complaint and drama before, not anymore.

Or the FPS front, you could find the same hacks for Battlefield 1 during its beta:
    [mod edit]

Now this hacks will always exist, different devs take different approaches to them.
    It only gets worse within devs who don't care.
    Stop clouding the argument with facts, we have to believe Star Citizen is doomed in order to be happy.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If you're a "hacker", you wouldn't use a hack until official release if you're trying to embarrass or mark out a dev/publisher. This person is doing a service to the game. This will get patched out before release (whenever that is). Good job.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:
    @Kefo Remember some of this can be considered illegal activities so I don't think you would easily claim your legal rights by committing something that can be borderline-illegal.

On Japan (and South Korea), you can even get arrested for cheating on online games, ofc on the areas we live (unless you're Japanese) it's taken far more lightly. 
    1. To be arrested they have to break the law of the country, civil law cannot arrest you
    2. Japan has no law against cheating so something different must have happened (like fraud in the webshop)
    3. South Korea has a law when cheating in an official Tournament (eSports is taken seriously there)
    3. In Europe you can not refuse a refund cause of a TOS if the product has not been delivered 100%
    4. Client cheats are hard to trace, if done wrong they will get false positives on Virus scanners.
    5. Wallhacks (see through) can't be avoided.

If you buy a cheat and let it run without hiding it in a high stake tournament then you deserve what you will get.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2017
    Mostly not SC specific:

ToS's are potential legal minefields even for a game that is released; and not only isn't SC released its KS funded. Could be interesting.

Changing IDs or whatever to make it harder - with a dedicated team to implement - sounds impractical on cost grounds but realistically this would only need to happen for, say, 6 months after launch. The time when the game is most popular and when bots are most likely to be in demand - aim being to make it less financially attractive. Is this done currently in recently released games?

Having some - variable - time between detection and action seems sensible. I say variable time because if it is always 7 days say then it will simple become a matter of statistics. Mixing the consequences would be something else that could be done as well - background "discouragement" in some cases (meteor strikes!), a ban for a period of time in other cases.

Maybe the detected players could be shunted into a parallel prison colony universe. Or rather their sensors fail to report "non flagged" ships but in turn are invisible themselves. so same universe but they only ever get to fight other bot users. A matter of ship IDs and art assets. 

As also mentioned the fact that a lot of hacks are engine related makes it difficult as well. Which, of course, will bring Amazon into the loop. (So SC may have access to tools in the same way that Respawn use EA's detection tools.) And if Amazon are going to develop tools - going forward - then it won't make sense for CiG to replicate that work.

It will be an issue closer to release. The confirmation they are aware is "good" but - as some pointed out you didn't need an alpha to know this will be a problem. Just a case of deciding how much to do at this stage when you still have the game to finish.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    MaxBacon said:
    Prediction:
    - "I was banned because I hacked, I WANT A REFUND!"
    As someone that dealt with issues like that, it usually goes like this:

SUPPORT: You are banned for hacking.
    PLAYER: I didn't hack
    SUPPORT: We have evidence
    PLAYER: Show me the details!
    SUPPORT: We can't show exact details of the detection systems but we have logs.
    PLAYER: Those logs don't show you that I wasn't hacking, I just checked if that wallhack works!
    SUPPORT: That's hacking.
    PLAYER: No it's not.
    SUPPORT: *closes the conversation*

PLAYER then goes onto the forums saying that he didn't hack but was banned and that the mods are nazis and that he quits the game forever.
    PLAYER then flames the game on an external site like MMORPG.com .
    PLAYER buys a new account immediately or continues to play the said game right after the ban is over.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited January 2017
    As someone that dealt with issues like that, it usually goes like this:
    Yeah it's usually as that. It's also very hard to prove from the game's side that the person is indeed hacking due the nature of false positives.

There's really no other way on the game's side but to stop responding to support requests about it. I've saw that several times, but these people also take revenge on them by doing stuff as chargebacks afterward.