Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game to Close on February 21, 2017 - Landmark - MMORPG.com

Comments

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I wonder what"They break" will kill next
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I wouldn't trust Daybreak even if they announced an EQ3. I don't trust them not to take my money and close it down in the middle of creating it or after release. Just not a company I will ever trust, seeing how they've ran things already.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Just relaunch eq 1 with new graphics jez
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    And the grand deception of the EverQuest fans finally comes to an end. The purveyors of this deception have been driven into obscurity, and the company is now in collapse. All for the better where the gaming consumers are concerned.

They can talk about EQ 3 all they want. I won't be supporting anything Daybreak does in the gaming industry.
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I'm betting EQ3 announcement sooner or later. Not to mention whatever Myth Warden is.

Yeah I rather them not ruin EQ's name anymore then it already is. Just let it die in memories!

SNIP

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    lahnmir said:
    Aelious said:
    Burntvet said:
    Reizla said:
    /snip
    I feel for all those who fell for the vaporware and paid $100 to support both Landmark and EQNext.
    I don't.

Anyone with a brain knew or should have known by looking at the stuff coming out of SOE/DBG that paying actual money for Landmark was foolish and a waste. It was clear that at best, Landmark was a testbed for EQ3, and not designed as an actual stand alone game.

So the idiots that bought the BS for Landmark/EQ3 and actually paid money, deserve what they got. Being stupid should have consequences.

This is just incorrect. They stated in the PC Gamer article that LM was intended to be a standalone title. That said I did pay the $100 for Landmark (no one paid anything for EQN/3) and felt I got more than enough enjoyment out of it. I think your gross generalization and disrespect for a whole group of people you couldn't possibly know is pretty immature.
    He's not immature, he's a 'vet.' Although judging from his rude post he's just burned and nothing else.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I didn't get burned, I was smart enough to keep my wallet closed.
    It was OBVIOUS, even by looking at the "pre-release" (not that the game ever did release) plans and videos that this was a developmental title.
    It became more obvious, when SOE/DBG made promise after promise about Landmark, and failed to deliver on just about any of them.
    I simply refuse to "feel" for anyone that has more money than sense anymore: such customers are a primary reason developers feel they can keep shoveling out crap and have people buy it.
    Buying bad games, from bad developers, is bad.

• starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    A vet of EQII, I sadly left quietly Halloween of last year...I want to go back but Daybreak has ruined it for a lot of us, many have left and have not returned, the game is practically dead now. Hard to find a group now a days, especially a decent one. I remember the days when I was whispered to because I was a sought after healer on the Everfrost server. I would hear people saying what a good healer the fury "Treasure" was...who was once "Shannella" starting out 3 times over....I loved hearing that I was wanted, needed and that I helped people out and I did my part so much so that I was asked for by name. Those days are long gone....the community is full of bots now...there is no real sense of "family" in guilds anymore. Crafting isn't what it used to be where you had to work for it and you felt a sense of accomplishment...same goes for harvesting and Heritage Quests even....getting things besides point system items are so easy now it's not worth the enjoyment getting. I remember also the days when you would pass by a levl 80 and stare in awe at them, and if they allowed you to look at your gear, you could inspect them for a while, which was a fun part of the game also...when it went F2P a lot of people left also. The economy then also went to hell sorry to say...because not many had access to the broker system then because of all the "free" players...and we were all bombarded with "auction" text messages on our screens that were so annoying. The days of live events are now also long gone...which were quite fun. All the effort put into the game from the devs is long gone. They do not have the spunk anymore to put time and effort into this game sadly. I miss it daily. I miss picking up all the shinies, doing my Stormhold dungeon runs, mentoring lower players for fun showing off my fury-ocious skills and awe-ing them...but the showing off and awe-ing days are gone :( Thanks Sony for leaving your loyal patrons behind as we have all moved on to pretty much those F2P games that will probably die soon too...but now we all have the mentality that we don't wanna stick to just one game as we had because what we once loved so much may be broken and taken away from us. So let's just rule them all I say!! :) Happy MMO'ing! Raptr Gamercard
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    forcelima said:
    This - and other like comments - is why Sony sold SoE; why EA spun off Broadsword (UO, DAoC); why WarnerBros have spin off SSG (DDO, LotR). They want to avoid negative feedback when harsh commercial logic dictates that something has to close.

CN / DBG have not "broken" anything. By cutting costs they have arguably extended the life of the remaining games. 

What CN bought can be likened to a cage of Norwegian Blues. There is some hope for the one that has turned into a zombie but the rest have been declared dead (Landmark, EQN) or have been nailed to their perches to stop them falling off (EQ1, EQ2, PS, DCUO). 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Soon they'll have nothing left but a bad reputation and a drawer full of useless licenses.

"Gamebreak".

• MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133
    This is another FINE example of don't give them your money until the stuff is out and reviewed. I have been playing MMORPGs/PC games since EQ1/DAOC. I have fallen into that hole of "Give us your money and you can play in the betaaaaaaah!" too many times. I know the whole process is tough to create but just stop giving these companies money people! No Man's Sky. Enough said. Haven't done the preorder thing in years.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    gervaise1 said:
    forcelima said:
    This - and other like comments - is why Sony sold SoE; why EA spun off Broadsword (UO, DAoC); why WarnerBros have spin off SSG (DDO, LotR). They want to avoid negative feedback when harsh commercial logic dictates that something has to close.

CN / DBG have not "broken" anything. By cutting costs they have arguably extended the life of the remaining games. 

What CN bought can be likened to a cage of Norwegian Blues. There is some hope for the one that has turned into a zombie but the rest have been declared dead (Landmark, EQN) or have been nailed to their perches to stop them falling off (EQ1, EQ2, PS, DCUO). 
    Pertaining to DBG:

While we all know that all the games on the DBG shelf are "one foot in the grave", I'm not really sure why they get bashes as hard as they do.

Other than the EQN/LM disaster, they haven't really done much of anything.  Yes, their leadership and goals are completely foggy and unknown and they are just milking whatever value is left...

As for SOE:

I'd argue that over the years SOE did just as much good as it did bad.  Someone mentioned games like Matrix and Vanguard.  Those games were disastrous failures before SOE ever touched them.  This is the case with many of the games they ran over the years.

Vanguard, for instance, is lucky it ever made it out of beta, and many fans loved that game.  It seems they should be grateful SOE supported it at all, rather than bashing them for closing it down the road.  This game is the perfect example -- it was a buggy, horribly coded mess from day one, and likely more trouble than it was worth to even bother with, but they kept the lights on for a while.

Certainly, their in-house games(outside of Everquest and Planetside) never lived up to much... but, as a publishing company they kept many games alive for much longer than was deserved.  It seems they should get some credit for even trying to keep games on the market for the fans when they were barely profitable to start with.

They might not have been the greatest development studio, but they are due credit for putting in as much effort as they did to preserve "broken toys" on their island of misfit games.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Absolutely no one is surprised by this.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    The problem is some of you naive players, or/and maybe just young, ignored the fact Daybreak is not a gaming studio. THEY DO NOT MAKE GAMES. They are owned by an investment firm Columbus Nova - which is an affiliate of an even larger Russian owned investment company, which is owned by the fourth richest man in Russia. They bought SOE to make a make a buck(or millions).

Lots of intelligent people said from the get-go this company would come in and milk the EQ franchise for its last remaining dollar. Hell, I think they've done a great job considering Daybreak has zero history in the gaming world.

In the end, I'm positive they will sell the rights. But not before they've milked it suffiently. And even then, we can only hope someone worthy takes over(doubtful). RIP EQ.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    edited January 2017
    Golelorn said:
    The problem is some of you naive players, or/and maybe just young, ignored the fact Daybreak is not a gaming studio. THEY DO NOT MAKE GAMES. They are owned by an investment firm Columbus Nova - which is an affiliate of an even larger Russian owned investment company, which is owned by the fourth richest man in Russia. They bought SOE to make a make a buck(or millions).

Lots of intelligent people said from the get-go this company would come in and milk the EQ franchise for its last remaining dollar. Hell, I think they've done a great job considering Daybreak has zero history in the gaming world.

In the end, I'm positive they will sell the rights. But not before they've milked it suffiently. And even then, we can only hope someone worthy takes over(doubtful). RIP EQ.

The problem is some of you naive know-it-alls ignore facts that dont fit your narative.
    Daybreak was a re-name from SOE. So its not a brand new company. So yes, they do have a history of making games. A lot of Daybreaks staff actually have decades of experience in the buisness.
    Right now they are employing new staff in various fields and from what people in the know have said, they are currently working on a new project. 
    So both your statements are BS. 
    Considering how much debt SOE was in at the time of the take over, and the general state of their games, what did you expect a worthwhile company to do after taking it over? Spend spend spend?   O.o

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Burntvet said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aelious said:
    Burntvet said:
    Reizla said:
    /snip
    I feel for all those who fell for the vaporware and paid $100 to support both Landmark and EQNext.
    I don't.

Anyone with a brain knew or should have known by looking at the stuff coming out of SOE/DBG that paying actual money for Landmark was foolish and a waste. It was clear that at best, Landmark was a testbed for EQ3, and not designed as an actual stand alone game.

So the idiots that bought the BS for Landmark/EQ3 and actually paid money, deserve what they got. Being stupid should have consequences.

This is just incorrect. They stated in the PC Gamer article that LM was intended to be a standalone title. That said I did pay the $100 for Landmark (no one paid anything for EQN/3) and felt I got more than enough enjoyment out of it. I think your gross generalization and disrespect for a whole group of people you couldn't possibly know is pretty immature.
    He's not immature, he's a 'vet.' Although judging from his rude post he's just burned and nothing else.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I didn't get burned, I was smart enough to keep my wallet closed.
    It was OBVIOUS, even by looking at the "pre-release" (not that the game ever did release) plans and videos that this was a developmental title.
    It became more obvious, when SOE/DBG made promise after promise about Landmark, and failed to deliver on just about any of them.
    I simply refuse to "feel" for anyone that has more money than sense anymore: such customers are a primary reason developers feel they can keep shoveling out crap and have people buy it.
    Buying bad games, from bad developers, is bad.

Ohh that is fine, you really don't have to feel for them. The people you mention might call you bitter in return. Being rude and insulting to those who have a different view then you however is not ok, and that was exactly what you did. If you have zero sympathy expect to get zero in return, I side with the optimistic, hopeful, willing to take a chance side. its all just opinions, you just expressed them in a rude manner.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    @DmKano you keep using this term MMORPG, I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    RPG = role playing game. Has nothing to do with stats. role playing is pretending, playing a role. what amazon described is you playing a role in a massive multiplayer online game. MMORPG
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Burntvet said:
    Reizla said:
    /snip
    I don't.

Great post....COuldnt agree more....SOE had nothing and made alot of money with a minecraft clone....Sad thing is companies are going to keep doing this as the gamers are simply too stupid to stop buying in
  • LumberjackJohnLumberjackJohn Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Thank god i got my key for free.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Took long enough,  I would use this as the last example if needed to never purchase anything from this new company. 

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Golelorn said:

The problem is some of you naive know-it-alls ignore facts that dont fit your narative.
    Daybreak was a re-name from SOE. So its not a brand new company. So yes, they do have a history of making games. A lot of Daybreaks staff actually have decades of experience in the buisness.
    Right now they are employing new staff in various fields and from what people in the know have said, they are currently working on a new project. 
    So both your statements are BS. 
    Considering how much debt SOE was in at the time of the take over, and the general state of their games, what did you expect a worthwhile company to do after taking it over? Spend spend spend?   O.o

SoE had no debt - they were not an independent company. Internal accounts - sure. Sony wrote off $60M against game development though before they were sold so we can safely assume that "Sony Online Entertainment" as they used to be a) were not making money but b) were debt free at the time of the take over.

Obviously the reason that Sony wrote off $60M was that SoE were spending more than they were making - despite multiple re-orgs in the previous 5 years. One of CN's first acts was to slim down the company by - reportedly - about 50%.   

BG have released some new EQ content so production of "stuff" has not totally stopped. However elements of that will have been in production prior to the takeover. 

Whether or not they will make any new games however remains to be seen. Yes there are staff there with experience. Under CN though the fundamental remit will be "run at a profit". If they believe they can release something and make money on it they will, we don't know though either way. Bear in mind that there were a small number of EQN vacancies advertised previously. And they closed EQN.

As for the IP: what is it worth; will anyone want to pay "a lot"; Sony could still have a tie in.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Thank god i got my key for free.
    I got my money back 90 days in. Just a little after Omeed posted a development video stating how scared he was of pvp.

what a waste.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    well, that cash grab is over. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    gervaise1 said:

As for the IP: what is it worth; will anyone want to pay "a lot"; Sony could still have a tie in.
    I just can't see any serious parties stepping up and buying the IP.  It's just not that big.  It wouldn't be like going in and buying Conan or LOTR or either of the Stars.  The EQ name is old and just doesn't have that much influence anymore.  The last real thing they did was what? EQ2 in 2004(?).  The franchise just isn't that popular outside of a small following, imo.
    Plus, let's be honest, EQ is as generic as fantasy can be, to boot.  It wasn't like it was some uniquely original setting or characters.

I could, however, see it ending up in a situation like Darkfall where some small group of fans tries to acquire it and revive it.  But, let's be honest, there isn't going to be much money in that sale.
  • LFGroupLFGroup Member UncommonPosts: 36
     goozmania said:
    I am pretty sure both EQ and EQ2 are still profitable for them. The regularly popping up progression servers, alone, likely fund the entire dev team.
    I think the company cannot expand or sustain itself into the distant future without investing into the EQ IP, though... They need to do EQ3, and they need to get it done fast.

And, as we all know : fast = crap
    Phew, I can't wait to see another failure from the clown company ! Wonder what they'll (day)break next ... :p