Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game to Close on February 21, 2017 - Landmark - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGame to Close on February 21, 2017 - Landmark - MMORPG.com

Landmark News - The Landmark community has been informed that the game will be shutting down on February 21, 2017. The decision was made "after much review" and with a heavy heart. Between now and the closure, Player Studio items will no longer be accepted for listing or for purchase. Everything in the Marketplace will sell for one DBC.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Welp... that took long enough.
    Are they looking back into EQ3 already?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Yay, founder pack for nothing really.... tried to support EQNext and this was all we got. Nice assets but not enough "Game"

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

LrdEtrius said:

More of a chance that they're looking to sunset EQ1 and EQ2 as well.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

Forgrimm said:

LrdEtrius said:

I think you may be correct.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Day Broke another one.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Forgrimm said:

LrdEtrius said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire company was dissolved and sold off piecemeal. IP's auctioned off to the highest bidders.

I'll never give them another dime, they have zero good will and zero faith from me after this.

Play what's left of Daybreak games while you can. It won't be long...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I'm betting EQ3 announcement sooner or later. Not to mention whatever Myth Warden is.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

I'm betting EQ3 announcement sooner or later. Not to mention whatever Myth Warden is.
    More like EQS(urvival)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited January 2017
    I seen this one coming a mile off.  I had a founder's pack for this one as I had hoped it was going to influence EQ Next. But when I seen how hodge-podge the development of Landmark was and how they could never settle on a direction and constantly re-doing things I knew Landmark and EQ Next was going to fail. 

I had dived into the game when they decided to launch Landmark in the off chance I was wrong but the game was a mess. The UI had took a backward step from early beta making building cumbersome, the combat was even worse than it was before by being even more dumbed down. The mobs had vanished from the surface making the world feel void and right away I knew it was launched in the state it was just to make a few bucks before shutting shop. 

After the ineptness they have shown for both Landmark and EQ Next I will never touch a Daybreak game again. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DMKano said:
    long overdue, should have been sunset same day as eqnext
    "Launched" and operated for "a period of time" to protect themselves from pre-order refund claims I assume. 
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    No use kicking a dead horse.

We all knew they gave up on these new Everquest games a long time ago.

Surprised they didn't just shut it down the moment they announced Next was no more.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    gervaise1 said:
    DMKano said:
    long overdue, should have been sunset same day as eqnext
    "Launched" and operated for "a period of time" to protect themselves from pre-order refund claims I assume. 
    They also had an extensive cash shop and it was $10 bucks instead of free to play so I think they wanted to milk it dry as well.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    2017 may be "The Year Of The Sundering" for MMOs.

Condolences to those losing their world.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

edited January 2017
    You seem really out of touch with this. This was EQ3, it failed, hard.

Daybreak has neither the money or talent (let alone the player good will) to make EQ3 happen (or try to happen, again). If they did they wouldn't have cancelled EQNext. Most of which was built by players.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    They should rename themselves to Sunset Studios.
    H0urg1ass said:
    They should rename themselves to Sunset Studios.
    I disagree. I think Theybreak is perfect.
    Powermike

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I am pretty sure both EQ and EQ2 are still profitable for them. The regularly popping up progression servers, alone, likely fund the entire dev team.
    I think the company cannot expand or sustain itself into the distant future without investing into the EQ IP, though... They need to do EQ3, and they need to get it done fast.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527

DMKano said:

EQ3 - unless its a survival game wouldnt make any sense.

MMORPGs have lost almost all popularity, and  on top of that are expensive to develop and take years of dev time.

I dont see any western company unless its an indie effort making another mmorpg for a long time.

Except for Amazon games which is building one right now.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited January 2017
    Remember after Smed told us how great F2P would be for MMOs, how he told us he would make a better minecraft.

0/2

It's a great sign for traditional MMOs, which he also said wouldn't work again.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    MMORPG are built over time - I hope Amazon realizes this
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Should we open a book on EQ1, EQ2 and PS2?
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    MMORPG are built over time - I hope Amazon realizes this
    Dont really understand what you mean by that  O.o
    Are MMO's usually built in a day?

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    edited January 2017
    It died LONG ago. Good riddance! I'm glad I got my founder's pack at a discounted price :-)

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
     I heard they bought Hero's Song...... (Tokken runs away and hides.....)
    Post edited by Tokken on

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Yay, founder pack for nothing really.... tried to support EQNext and this was all we got. Nice assets but not enough "Game"
    Then stop buying that crap.