Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I quit while ahead?

MexenlivesMexenlives Member UncommonPosts: 42
Been playing AA for the past week or so.  Really like the combat!  I've gotten to lvl 24 and made my weapons after sitting afk for two days to get enough labor points. 

Is this how the rest of the game will go?  Hop hub to hub (which isn't a big deal) and waiting on labor points for crafting?

Combat aside, from what I've seen there isn't much difference from the other MMO's out there.

Comments

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Stay until the grind gradually and subtlely gets so bad that you one day finally stop and say to yourself, "Actually, in retrospect, this really sucks."

Think of it as a coming-of-age journey.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2017
    Been playing AA for the past week or so.  Really like the combat!  I've gotten to lvl 24 and made my weapons after sitting afk for two days to get enough labor points. 

Is this how the rest of the game will go?  Hop hub to hub (which isn't a big deal) and waiting on labor points for crafting?

Combat aside, from what I've seen there isn't much difference from the other MMO's out there.
    Well let me tell you what my experience was...

When I started Arche Age, it was after the Auroria disaster everyone talks about I really liked the game a lot...

Within 6 months I had (Several Accounts) over 20 24x24 farms, I had 1 of every tree house, Mansion, and Multiple Upgraded Farm Houses (EVERYTHING) as well as all 3 crafting houses...

But here is why I quit Arche Age, I was spending around $500-$600 just in patron subscriptions every 6 months, on top of buying Gems from the cash shop at around $100-$300 per month, but here is why I quit...

. Trion releases a new patch that completely breaks game-play by allowing (Lords) or (Faction Leadership) in general this sounds like a fun idea okay, but some people are Dic* Heads by nature, the guy on my server was a jerk and wanted to control every guild and everything went PKing anyone who didn't follow their way even when not part of their raids and groups...

. Trion also made it so PVP could be enabled at an instant on any guild who doesn't pop a peace treaty even same faction Combat, (NO Count Down Timer) so it wasn't any longer East vs West the way it had always been... (No longer just faction based.) No don't get me wrong I like PVP (I don't like same faction griefing which is how War worked.) Instead of giving a countdown timer of at least 1 hour before it starts like EVE Online war decks.)

. On top of this Trion got really greedy offering (Exclusive Items) in $50, and $100 packs, Not a bad idea, but Trion gave the finger to me just because you spend $100 the day before instead of sticking items in the cash shop for everyone they got too greedy and another reason I quit...

. Oh wait No wardrobe either for all your costumes if you horde them like me, no Material Storage either like Guild Wars 2.

To give you an idea about how much property I had in this game, It was massive we are talking about enough to generate over 30k gold a week before Trion changed archeum trees, even then, You could spend all day farming, and not have enough labor to do everything you pretty much needed a guild to run it all, and at least 20 people to manage it all due to labor Of course the guild I was in ended up having little children for being leaders, and started drama, because of the guy who wanted sole leadership over the entire server and kicked me instead of standing up to him so pretty much all my land was managed only by myself, a few alts, and friends, even the last guild I was in before the server went down hill the land was too small...

So what happened with everything lol?

I just handed it all down to a random guild I met too much drama, thousands of dollars worth of apex, and land collected over a years time...

Great Game, But Trion, and XL games are the worst decision makers ever I quit !  wasn't worth me spending that $500-$600 again on a game I wasn't enjoying a game where developers did not listen to the consumers even the whales...

Over All if you were on my server, I had my property I could power level you to 50 just for doing like nothing in a week lol. (So no I wouldn't recommend you to keep playing this game.) Don't get me wrong it looks tempting I do love the concept, but the developers are awful..

If I was a developer on this, and had management to say how things go on this game I would make it fun again, add a lot of the improvements I complain about to the game, and get rid of the (Greed) in which Trion has done.
  • MexenlivesMexenlives Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Tiamat64 said:
    Stay until the grind gradually and subtlely gets so bad that you one day finally stop and say to yourself, "Actually, in retrospect, this really sucks."

I've been playing MMO's long enough to hopefully avoid that!  I mean, we eventually learn.....right?
    Tiamat64 said:

I've been playing MMO's long enough to hopefully avoid that!  I mean, we eventually learn.....right?
    I dunno... I still wake up on days to play my current MMO, stop and say, "What the hell am I doing?" and finally quit way after quitting was long overdue.  It's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks. :(
    Thanks for the insight Ren. 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Archeage is built around Labor Points.
    If you are not willing to buy the Labor Pots from the Cash Shop, it's better you quit now.

Though I disagree, Archeage is quite different than anything else on the Market, in a good way.
    Shame it's built around its awful Cash Shop, it could have been a great MMO.

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Once you hit 55 then you start the bigger boring grind of gold to pay for all those upgrades to weapons and armor all the while knowing you will never be able to compete with those spend up big in the cash shop. skill matters a bit but not as much as what you spend unfortunately. was having fun me self for the last few weeks but already seeing a big gap between those that pay big and those that are not. Already played all the content so im thinking its time to go though good luck finding something else new to play. Black desert also has this problem but then all eastern mmos are made this way.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Ask Rhonda Rousey if she should have quit while ahead...seems to be a thought passed down over the years and not many heed it's warnings.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Terrible cash shop designed to make you spend as much as possible, my gear was always behind the wallet warriors and people with no real job who have 16 hours a day to devote to the game plus every time land is up for grabs the servers crash and everyone gets in but me.  The first castle grabs were so terrible half my guild quit over it.

You should try BDO instead.  It has a lot of the same things that AA does, boats, farms and trading plus PvP is totally optional.  At level 49 you can simply choose NOT to do the level-50 quest and you will never hit 50 and not be PvP-able.  And best of all, you can not buy charms and regrade scrolls in the cash shop.  I have a PvP toon and a PvE toon so I can play the way I want, when I want.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    Terrible cash shop designed to make you spend as much as possible, my gear was always behind the wallet warriors and people with no real job who have 16 hours a day to devote to the game plus every time land is up for grabs the servers crash and everyone gets in but me.  The first castle grabs were so terrible half my guild quit over it.

You should try BDO instead.  It has a lot of the same things that AA does, boats, farms and trading plus PvP is totally optional.  At level 49 you can simply choose NOT to do the level-50 quest and you will never hit 50 and not be PvP-able.  And best of all, you can not buy charms and regrade scrolls in the cash shop.  I have a PvP toon and a PvE toon so I can play the way I want, when I want.

I've tried BDO and BSO.  Not quite what I'm after.  Think I may go back and finish The Witcher 2
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Talonsin said:

I've tried BDO and BSO.  Not quite what I'm after.  Think I may go back and finish The Witcher 2
    Black Desert comes with XIngCode3, still doesn't diclose to the user it installs this not as malicious as it once was though, but still, and the developers wont increase the pearl inventory past 192 so I can buy more stuff ); so I  quit, as for the weekly repeat scroll runs over and over again get boring...

Blade & Soul I played it, but wont install Game Guard so as long as they leave this here I can't play.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

If you're playing on the fresh start servers, its pretty easy to make money to buy patron via in game gold. Also, you don't need to craft your own stuff till about level 50 if you're questing to level. Just save your labor and money to buy an auction house license if you want to make money faster until you get patron. After you get patron, then you'll be able to own land, making money passively easier off of stuff like cotton or something (its at 10s:1labor ratio atm). Just focus on getting 50 and doing your merit quests daily, some people are desperate enough to pay for mentees(low levels) to do dungeons with since it brings in decent gilda stars. You can also sell your gilda stars(buy certain blue prints for people) but I'd recommend saving them so you can get your first clipper (boat) and make even more money with minimal effort. AA is one of those games that if you get the systems down, you'll become quite enthralled by it. Right now on FS, its still pretty even with some people around 4k GS or close (most being way under). Also making alts and a secondary account to run for dailies helps too if you want to speed up the process.
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I haven't had the pull factor of an mmorpg for years, since DAoC but I picked this up around 20th December 2016 and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not taking it too seriously and I've had a number of sea battles which were fun. 

I enjoy crafting and this game offers a good playground for that. 

I think that that it is without a doubt you need patron and a decent in game income to have fun but like all good things it takes a little bit of effort. 

If if you are enjoying it then keep playing, when you get bored move on... it's a game there for fun if you are looking for something more fulfilling and long lasting then maybe you should avoid games and work on something real :)

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I did play until I reached max level.  I had fun with my house and garden, I had fun talking with my neightbors. I did some guild stuff. Some raids, some battles. I helped on killing the kraken a few times, it was cool and fun. It was fun for 3 months. My recomendation is to play the way you find it fun, until it is no longer fun. Then leave it, it comes to a point the game ia grind, it is fun until then.

Already uninstalled.  I like to craft while leveling up and labor point regen killed me.  It was odd for immersion too.  Having the villages and then player made ones severely contrasting put me off as well.
    Congratulations!
    Tiamat64 said:
    Congratulations!
    Still debating on giving BDO a proper chance.  Reinstalled GW2, couldn't get into it.  TESO, same, even after logging in my old toons.  Reinstalled LoTRO, couldn't find my old toons and didn't hold interest. 

Really can't wait for Pantheon!