Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer has no objection to allowing high donating players have GM accounts. Not P2W... LOL

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    ozerinx said:
    Iselin said:

All that being said? If I invested 40K into a game, I'd want some serious benefits and not BS swag.

Yeah... and that would be the problem right there: games where you CAN spend $40K. It boggles my mind that people don't see how that immediately compromises the integrity of the game.

"But people aren't equal in RL"... who gives a shit. Games are not real life and part of the appeal is precisely that you do have an even shot.

Or at least that was the case before money grubbing, wannabe developers started selling more and more privilege to the fools that don't even realize that their very own high-roller contribution is dooming the project to be a laughable POS.
     lol no you don't have a real shot. For people that play 20 hours a day, for people that bot the game to get currency. For the people that are the "Elites" if you are here bitching I am 99% sure this is not you. All games are created unequal without the same shot. Or everyone will clear the same content in the exact same amount of time. 
    Maybe it's because of a language barrier but what you just said makes no sense.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ozerinx said:
    Iselin said:

All that being said? If I invested 40K into a game, I'd want some serious benefits and not BS swag.

Yeah... and that would be the problem right there: games where you CAN spend $40K. It boggles my mind that people don't see how that immediately compromises the integrity of the game.

"But people aren't equal in RL"... who gives a shit. Games are not real life and part of the appeal is precisely that you do have an even shot.

Or at least that was the case before money grubbing, wannabe developers started selling more and more privilege to the fools that don't even realize that their very own high-roller contribution is dooming the project to be a laughable POS.
     lol no you don't have a real shot. For people that play 20 hours a day, for people that bot the game to get currency. For the people that are the "Elites" if you are here bitching I am 99% sure this is not you. All games are created unequal without the same shot. Or everyone will clear the same content in the exact same amount of time. 
    Yeah good point bringing up botting. I'd go further and bring up hacks and cheat engines... same shit as buying advantage as far as I'm concerned: they ALL compromise the game's integrity.

Only difference is that one type of advantage has the developer's seal of approval and the others don't.

But you're missing the point bringing up the 20 hours a day players and the "elites." They started at the same spot as the 20 hour a month casual and the klutzes. I have no problem with that and it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Players differentiating themselves through commitment or ability? That's exactly how games should be.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

CrazKanuk said:

So, apparently, they get to design their own crest, and crown and also an event, boss and/or castle. Plus they get their name in the credits as a Design Advisor. So I guess that's a pretty cool perk. Would I do it if I was a Billionaire? Fuck yeah! A Millionaire? meh.... Maybe? As a Thousandaire? Not bloody likely. Although I'm sure there are some thousandaires who would got for it, for sure. I think it's these types of perks that bring out the whales. It's all about seeing their name in the lights!!! Let's not forget that there were 5 $10k packages of Pillars of Eternity sold through their KS and it's a single player game. So there's no advantage other than you got to help design some shit for the game.

So you're saying they're doing it for swag? I could have sworn the guy I responded to said he would want more than swag before you butted in.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

So, apparently, they get to design their own crest, and crown and also an event, boss and/or castle. Plus they get their name in the credits as a Design Advisor. So I guess that's a pretty cool perk. Would I do it if I was a Billionaire? Fuck yeah! A Millionaire? meh.... Maybe? As a Thousandaire? Not bloody likely. Although I'm sure there are some thousandaires who would got for it, for sure. I think it's these types of perks that bring out the whales. It's all about seeing their name in the lights!!! Let's not forget that there were 5 $10k packages of Pillars of Eternity sold through their KS and it's a single player game. So there's no advantage other than you got to help design some shit for the game.

So you're saying they're doing it for swag? I could have sworn the guy I responded to said he would want more than swag before you butted in.

You're assuming that if they gave him some sort of godly powers he would hand over the money. His comment is as much in jest as is our discussion because there is nobody on here who has given them $40k. So there is nobody here who can actually say what the reasoning is, it's all just a bunch of speculation. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited December 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

You're assuming that if they gave him some sort of godly powers he would hand over the money. His comment is as much in jest as is our discussion because there is nobody on here who has given them $40k. So there is nobody here who can actually say what the reasoning is, it's all just a bunch of speculation. 
    So it's unknowable. One motivation is just as likely as any other and any outcome just as likely as any other. Educated guesses don't exist. OK. I think I got where you're coming from... reminds me of this guy:

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Iselin said:
    ozerinx said:
    Iselin said:

Yeah good point bringing up botting. I'd go further and bring up hacks and cheat engines... same shit as buying advantage as far as I'm concerned: they ALL compromise the game's integrity.

Only difference is that one type of advantage has the developer's seal of approval and the others don't.

But you're missing the point bringing up the 20 hours a day players and the "elites." They started at the same spot as the 20 hour a month casual and the klutzes. I have no problem with that and it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Players differentiating themselves through commitment or ability? That's exactly how games should be.
    Some people like to equate time to money in regards to resources spent, but as Iselin denotes here, it's not at all the same.

No one is born with a "silver watch on their wrist" and gets 26 hours a day.  Folks are born with silver spoons and have much more money available to them than others through no fault or effort (or lack thereof) of their own.  Money does not accrue uniformly for everyone, time does.  I cannot sit down at my desk and browse the ESO shop and go "Okay, I'll pay you 2 days for that mount!"

That difference is key.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    To me it's more about just being upfront and OWNING the P2W stuff.  Saying crap like "It's not P2W, but just like real life some people start in a better place than others" is the lamest of cop outs.

Just come out and say "Yeah we allow Pay to King" and "buy yourself a 3 month head start".  I'd disagree with it, but I'd respect it.

PS: In case anybody missed their latest update they once again delayed the store where you can spend all the IP/EP that you previously bought.   Wonder if it was for technical reasons or if it was to make it more/less P2W.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    To me it's more about just being upfront and OWNING the P2W stuff.  Saying crap like "It's not P2W, but just like real life some people start in a better place than others" is the lamest of cop outs.

Yep, having rich people walking all over me like in real life, is exactly what I look for when I play a video-game.
    If people don't have time to play a game they should no play them.
    Games are time sinks, they shouldn't be another opportunity to show your wealth and privileged social status.

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    It doesnt really matter if its p2w anyways. This game and its players defy all reasonable expectations and previous mmo experience. Yes, it's that god damn special and the developers are that smug When people log into CoE they are instantly transported to a magical land of perpetual roleplay, this is due to our Soulwtf engine, it works people 4 reals. In our game, a guy with mid 6 figure income who bought the ability and the god given right to be one of our elite dragons isnt viewed with envy and hatred for subjugating gameplay with irl income potential. Come watch as our servile player base cheers with glee as said dragon demigod visits their village and burns it to the ground and tea bags their dead bodies. Likewise, see our massive in game group nuthug as 300 of our vapid players band together to take down the obnoxious alpha dragon who decides "fuck that" and uses our patented GM teleport ability, available on the cash shop for $290.95. You can taste the roleplay feels and old school MMO nostalgia as Jeromy Walsh himself logs in to reveal that it was he who allowed the rebels to know the location of the 'hidden' sheild generator and he has a weird fetish for your friend Asuka being restrained in toilet paper bondage.

Or you can pretend to be a blacksmith. Anything is possible with our Soulfap engine, it's all about the story.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2016
    Iselin said:

Or at least that was the case before money grubbing, wannabe developers started selling more and more privilege to the fools that don't even realize that their very own high-roller cont ribution is dooming the project to be a laughable POS.
    Totally agree! It's like people forget the RPG in the mmorpg and what that it means "role playing game".

Generally speaking you "role play" things you cannot or would not in real life so the whole concept is asinine and simply an excuse for money grabbing IMO.

I just don't see how you can effectively "role play" and really get immersed if you real life station/circumstance has such a huge impact as we are seeing here!

Being a king/duke etc etc should have been something you earned in game with the head start etc not something you outright bought into.

It's like the surname thing either your a ward of the state with surname being that of  from that specific ward or having to choose a list of existing surnames.

I mean why can't I make my own house when I start?  I can understand having a strict naming policy so there's no bigbooty69's running around but ...this system really blows nuggets

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    It doesnt really matter if its p2w anyways. This game and its players defy all reasonable expectations and previous mmo experience. Yes, it's that god damn special and the developers are that smug When people log into CoE they are instantly transported to a magical land of perpetual roleplay, this is due to our Soulwtf engine, it works people 4 reals. In our game, a guy with mid 6 figure income who bought the ability and the god given right to be one of our elite dragons isnt viewed with envy and hatred for subjugating gameplay with irl income potential. Come watch as our servile player base cheers with glee as said dragon demigod visits their village and burns it to the ground and tea bags their dead bodies. Likewise, see our massive in game group nuthug as 300 of our vapid players band together to take down the obnoxious alpha dragon who decides "fuck that" and uses our patented GM teleport ability, available on the cash shop for $290.95. You can taste the roleplay feels and old school MMO nostalgia as Jeromy Walsh himself logs in to reveal that it was he who allowed the rebels to know the location of the 'hidden' sheild generator and he has a weird fetish for your friend Asuka being restrained in toilet paper bondage.

Or you can pretend to be a blacksmith. Anything is possible with our Soulfap engine, it's all about the story.
    You were drunk when you wrote this right? Last line in that ongoing paragraph kind of gives it away. It's a game dude. People like it. End of story.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    whilan said:
     It's a game dude. People like it. 
    Where is this enjoyable game?

You are making it sound so nice and simple, I am burning to play immediately.
    Harbinger of Fools
    whilan said:
     It's a game dude. People like it. End of story.
    You have played CoE?  Please tell us how it ran on your system!   How was the combat?  What did you spend your EP on?  Did you get a magical talent?  What's your favorite part so far?

Oh... you didn't actually play the game because the game doesn't exist yet.  That's right.  Reality called.

Though I hope your prognostication is correct and it launches with all the promised features in a fairly bug free environment and folks love it.   I'll be happy to play a good game that actually exists!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2017
    /head desk, good job on taking that to a literal extreme. No where did it say I actually played it. It's a game, it's not finished yet though. People enjoy following this and talking about it (that's why there was a period there). They don't worship it like the poster was saying. Didn't think I had to literally spell it out to you two.

Edit: Actually I forgot, people did play it, you can find it at this link. It's just the pvp portion but they looked like they were enjoying it.
    Post edited by whilan on

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I am completely fine with the developers doing that as we all have to choice of what games to play.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I see a GM account as more of a job than something that simply allows me to cheat the game. You will be required to respond to situations in game which means you will be having to give up your own agenda at times. 

Because they have a very pen & paper mentality I think they are looking for co-GMs in some cases. The only thing that makes me worry about this would be if those Player GMs get to sign off on naming for Towns/Etc. If there is a server that has the most robust naming policies, that are enforced, that is where I will go. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Archlyte said:
    I see a GM account as more of a job than something that simply allows me to cheat the game. You will be required to respond to situations in game which means you will be having to give up your own agenda at times. 

Because they have a very pen & paper mentality I think they are looking for co-GMs in some cases. The only thing that makes me worry about this would be if those Player GMs get to sign off on naming for Towns/Etc. If there is a server that has the most robust naming policies, that are enforced, that is where I will go. 
    As long as it remains a "job" where they have bosses and supervisors to make sure all the rules are being followed. I'm okay with it. Certainly will be something I'm watching closely to see how it's handled.

whilan said:
    People enjoy following this and talking about it (that's why there was a period there). They don't worship it like the poster was saying. Didn't think I had to literally spell it out to you two
    The CEO just used the phrase "Preaching the gospel of COE" a day or two ago...

True story.

• tatertoadtatertoad Member UncommonPosts: 26
    They better send that guy a cloth map of the game world or a vial that contains REAL BLOOD from the developers or something.  Wow.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I see a poster above is still naive and young i guess.To keep it simple,you cannot trust ANYONE,every single person would cut the throat of their best friend to save their own ass/job whatever.We use a term at work because of a few a-holes,we like to call it "throwing someone under the bus".

Point being poster above  says as long as the rules are taken care of,well a lot of times,it is those people in charge breaking the very rules they are suppose to enforce.
    How would you know if some at the top or in charge are breaking the rules or  turning a blind eye to friends they have cheating?

I like that phrase "i have seen things" because i certainly have,a lot of corrupt bs people out there.
    I'll end this by saying ..."Hi my name is Donald Trump,i don't need to pay taxes like the rest of you scrubs".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Wizardry said:
    I see a poster above is still naive and young i guess.To keep it simple,you cannot trust ANYONE,every single person would cut the throat of their best friend to save their own ass/job whatever.We use a term at work because of a few a-holes,we like to call it "throwing someone under the bus".

Point being poster above  says as long as the rules are taken care of,well a lot of times,it is those people in charge breaking the very rules they are suppose to enforce.
    How would you know if some at the top or in charge are breaking the rules or  turning a blind eye to friends they have cheating?

I like that phrase "i have seen things" because i certainly have,a lot of corrupt bs people out there.
    I'll end this by saying ..."Hi my name is Donald Trump,i don't need to pay taxes like the rest of you scrubs".

You must be great at parties.
    MaxBacon
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I think if you go into this game looking to check off things that are not as good for you as they appear to be for others you should just hang it up now. Fair does not live in Elyria I'm thinking. I plan on working for everything I have in game, and I may fail at being anything spectacular. I won't be spending a lot of time being envious of other players no matter what their situation may be.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Wizardry said:
    It is truly sickening to witness what is happening to morals and gaming and the world in general.
    People have no problem at all lying or deceiving customers to fill their greedy pockets with money.
    Then we see petty,pitiful things like "your banned because you said something bad' or don't talk about political but it is ok to lie and steal from your fellow man/women,morals of people are way off in left field somewhere.
    There should be a definitive number set by LAW,that number like all things in life should have leeway to cover unexpected overhead and costs like idk maybe 10-15%.

You have to file for a license to start crowd funding,determine said cost and that is it,no more taking free money from naive gamer's to simply fill your greedy pocket.

I said it years ago that when Smedley started cash shop gaming in EQ2,it was a dark path leading to far worse times in gaming.You open that door and it never closes and then you can NEVER trust that developer/publisher,things can change at any moment and ruin your entire game.

There are legal government offices you can complain to,file complaints based on misrepresentation and deceitful marketing.The FTC for example like many offices are lazy ass hats ,however if they see a large lawsuit,they will jump in,although the end result is usually a monetary settlement which proves how crooked the entire world is.Just like drug pharmacies being sued,they NEVER get closed down,it is just a $$$ settlement then carry on as usual.

How about when a so called Eve employee was found corrupt,lmao >>>cover up,how naive of people to think it was only one person taking the fall?No different than the HAsbro lawsuit where one guy took the fall and a nice tidy settlement was made with the government.The world is a VERY crooked place and i sadly feel MOST do not know how bad it really is.

Well its more like people want to be part of something they simply don't have the money to be a part of but that doesn't stop them, I'm talking about non-financed developers with ideas bigger than their pocket books. They refuse to start small and build their company with great little games that sell and make money and grow their business traditionally, they want to develop the mega game right here and right now, without the hard work of proving yourself as a company.

So they will literally do anything to find away to be in the industry, anything.  They will do anything or sell anything or cut any deal out there to get cash flowing now so they can be an instant MMO game developer.  It has completely changed the content and base game mechanics away from developers being fully funded and just sitting in an office and building the game of your dreams. To sitting in an office and building a game that will make money while your building a game that some what resembles the game of your dreams through cash shops and crowd funding, etc.

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Caspien " While I have no plan to do so... I have no objection to allowing the highly influential players to log off of their primary accounts and log in under a GM account to RP a Vice/Virtue."

Note: Influence points (IP) can be purchased for cash.  

As a reference this came about because of a Discord uproar over his intention to allow a certain player to purchase multiple Kingdoms on the same server (at $10k a pop).  Apparently according to Caspien in the thread the guy donated over $40,000.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14989/equity-vs-fairness?page=2#post156511

Keep in mind this is a full PvP game of territory control.  I'm sure you can trust a guy who paid $40,000 for your game not to take advantage of having GM access to the same game... 

Maybe you should post the entire statement he made instead of cutting/pasting to suit your agenda.

For those of you who didn't care to read the beginning of the thread, this is the FULL quote which the OP decided to dissect

"Whoah, slow down a bit. Let's be clear, the conversation was whether or not I'd cap him at 2 Kingdoms purchased/merged, or allow him to go for three. At which point, the topic of adding a tier for emperor, with other Kings answerable to him was raised. And if so, what the design experience would be for the Emperor tier. There were several suggestions jokingly thrown out. There wasn't a serious offer made to make him one of the Vices or Virtues, Ancients, Guardians, or anything else...

That all said, my reason for posting this topic had nothing to do with what you were referring to as 'context' of the topic. I posted it simply because I felt like it nicely captured my philosophy on fairness vs. equity and wanted to make sure it was communicated to a larger audience. it had nothing to do with Adam or the conversation around it.

And again, that being said, with respect to the 'pay to win' conversation, of making someone a Virtue or Vice. While I have no plan to do so... I have no objection to allowing the highly influential players to log off of their primary accounts and log in under a GM account to RP a Vice/Virtue.

It's not P2W, it's pay to create a compelling story for the rest of the server. Anything another player does which adds value to your experience is for your benefit. And really, what difference does it make who DM's the role of Vices or Virtues if they exist? Does it need to be Soulbound Studios employees? And if not, what harm is there in allowing the roles to be filled by influential players?"

People also need to take into account that YOU CAN LOSE YOUR TITLE/LANDS. Another player, or group of players can overthrow a kingdom, and take the King/Queen title/role from another player.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    MrTuggles said:

People also need to take into account that YOU CAN LOSE YOUR TITLE/LANDS. Another player, or group of players can overthrow a kingdom, and take the King/Queen title/role from another player.

Sure it is "possible". It is also "possible" for any of us to become president of the United States. It doesn't mean it is likely. 

We have yet to experience the mechanics of how easy it will be for a king to lose his title. Until then, I don't think you can say this is factual proof that the game is not pay to win.

With the exposition being a safe period for the first few months, my impressions so far is that it is going to take a King royally screwing up in order for him to lose his title. 
    --------------------------------------------