Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now Built with Lumberyard & 2.6 with Star Marine Launches - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNow Built with Lumberyard & 2.6 with Star Marine Launches - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen News - Star Citizen is now being built using the Amazon Lumberyard engine after several years in development. Lumberyard is a free AAA cross-platform 3D engine. Both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will use the engine from now forward.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Good news, i guess. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    what? lol so they decided the one they butchered and pushed to the max wont handle the job :D
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It's ok to change engine after few years of "development" if you have no intention to finish it.

Thank you for your time!

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    They couldn't get it working with what they had.....does this mean DS was right?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    So is this actual news? I have never heard anyone saying anything baout this so was it a secret? If so then why? I guess that shits all over the supposed 'most open development ever'. It was OK for them to use the issues with the 'old' completely rebuilt one as an excuse to why everything was delayed. But this one is the third (at least). So all that money they spent on redoing the old one and hiring all those people....

And what is going to happen when this one cant get the job done either?

Remember all the arguments about 64 bit and the old engine and how they had to rewrite everything?

Oh and what about those fake videos they showed around last summer and fall what engine were those on? I guess it doesnt matter since they were movies and not actual game play.

You seriously cant make this shit up. For the past how many months or years have they said it was X when in fact for the past year they have been working on Z.

Either way LY is simply better for 'interfacing' I still highly doubt its foundation will do what they have been claiming they have been able to do for months (with no actual evidence where people could actually play it). But theyll be able to have Twitch guys and yourtubers make better quality rhetoric streams so thats probably the most important thing.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    Hmm this makes absolutely no sense. They must have made some crazy compatibility tools pulling their stuff from cryengine and using lumberyard. This really makes no sense at all. Here come the white knights defending the decision and yet another excuse to drag the game development out another 10 years. So far we got an open development game here. They been switching over to a new engine for almost a year and are now finally telling the backers?

Derek Smart was very adamant about how Cryengine wasn't able to do what they wanted. Sorry I'm a little mad right now I was hoping CIG was done with the bullshit.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016
    wyldmagik said:
    what? lol so they decided the one they butchered and pushed to the max wont handle the job :D
    Maybe but I can think of other reasons they would switch:
    • Big reason: Lumberyard is free
    • Possible reason: it is cross platform
    • bonus reasons: Twitch integration, Amazon are rolling out new features, publicity, etc.
    And - clearly - the Lumberyard engine has been designed to accept stuff done in the Cry engine - no surprise really given Lumberyard is simply CryEngine plus some stuff.

When they started none of the available engines offered a complete solution; in-house work was going to be needed. Which meant recruiting skilled staff. I believe that one of the reasons they went with Cry is that there was a pool of ex-Crysis staff available for hire in one place. And setting up a German office facilitated this. I don't know this but I do know that recruiting staff can be expensive and time consuming.

Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Makes sense it would not work, especially on the Cryengine. The Cryengine is very poorly optimized and really isn't good outside of first person shooters as a middle-ware engine. The network code would be a nightmare. Lumberyard is a bit better tool for going with what they want, however with all that money... They shouldn't have bothered with a middle-ware engine in the first place. They spent more trying to get Cryengine to work than they would have building an engine from scratch.
    edited December 2016
    They couldn't get it working with what they had.....does this mean DS was right?
    Don't see that. 

Lumberyard is simply CryEngine plus some "additions, fixes and improvements". 996 of them currently. That's according to Amazon.

So maybe the move will help but fundamentally if they "couldn't get it working" in Cry I don't really see this helping. Conversely if they get it working in "Lumberyard Cry" I would assume that they could get it working in (non-Lumberyard) Cry.

Now if Lumberyard was based on Unity ... now that would be odd but going from one version of CryEngine to an "enhanced" version of CryEngine - why wouldn't you?

Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    So tell us again how good and amazing StarEngine is..?
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Interesting, do whatever is best for the game long term.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    HUH? It's Christmas not April 1st....

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I personally think it's a great idea. No one wants to release a groundbreaking game on five-year-old technology. I wish them much success with this transition to lumberyard
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited December 2016
    Dunno what the big hoopla is all about Lumberyard is just a renamed cryengine really with some tweaks I would guess that amazon made.

When it comes to switching over it shouldn't be huge task considering the above also.  This also means the game will be using amazon aws rather than google cloud services which might be a good thing.  Hopefully it will also mean better twitching.

Lets hope amazon has been working on some of the backend netcode issues, basicly I think the game is still using starengine but also now gains any modules amazon has been working on for "Lumberyard".

I can say this for sure my download speed for the update are blazing fast compared to before.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    Dunno what the big hoopla is all about Lumberyard is just a renamed cryengine really with some tweaks I would guess that amazon made. <snip>
    My thoughts as well.

If you can move from CryEngine to enhanced CryEngine, do so quickly and painlessly and the Amazon licence agreement allows you to carry on doing your own stuff (which it does) why wouldn't you?
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    For me, it's a "wait and see" situation.  I am no game developer so I can't say for sure if this was a wise decision or not.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    gervaise1 said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Dunno what the big hoopla is all about Lumberyard is just a renamed cryengine really with some tweaks I would guess that amazon made. <snip>
    My thoughts as well.

If you can move from CryEngine to enhanced CryEngine, do so quickly and painlessly and the Amazon licence agreement allows you to carry on doing your own stuff (which it does) why wouldn't you?
    This means they are tied to Amazon service provider as well I believe and any distribution needs to be through them as well, unless another agreement was made.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    It's ok if the game is delayed, it only means we'll have more ships for release!
    It's ok if the game is delayed, it only means we'll have more ships for release!
    Since 2.6 is out right now on the "new engine" I don't see how this is relevant?  

I mean it's running on "lumberyard" right right now so if there's any delays it probably won't have to do with this change,  I wouldn't be surprised if this helps them speed things up as they probably wont have to work on w/e amazon added to cryengine.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Asm0deus said:
    Since 2.6 is out right now on the "new engine" I don't see how this is relevant?  

I mean it's running on "lumberyard" right right now so if there's any delays it probably won't have to do with this change,  I wouldn't be surprised if this helps them speed things up as they probably wont have to work on w/e amazon added to cryengine.
    But they been saying for the past 3 years how they have done great things with cryengine.  nevermind...
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Asm0deus said:

Lumberjack is Cryengine or a revamped version of it. Much like the version CiG CLAIMED to have built. Like i said I doubt Amazons version is good enough to run the game either, at least the way they (CiG/Chris Roberts) want it to run. 

So if they REALLY rebuilt Cryengine specifically for Star Citizen why the change? Thats what I was trying to get at with my original comment. I highly doubt the Amazon version is as good as the claimed version these guys had and showed those fake movies on last summer at the conventions. I am sure people will go back and see if Roberts mentioned the version of Cryengine they were on but I think he was asked that and from what I remember he claimed it was their (CiG) rebuilt one.

Regardless its another version, but at least this one can actually be verified as an actual change from the original one they said wouldnt work. But like I said above I don think this one will work any better because I doubt highly Amazon has had the time to redo that core aspect. Especially since they have had it for about a year and CR supposedly has had it for much ,longer AND he supposedly had the original designers working for him. Which also begs the question how are they working for him and not Amazon?

This whole thing stinks but what else is new. But they have ZERO excuses now. If the game wont work then what? They throw Amazon under the bus and claim to go back to 'their' version? Which I dont think exists either, or the very least doesnt work, because if it did and it worked why switch?

Time will tell I suppose 2.6 whatever that actually means is out I suppose people will point out any major changes good or bad. But I suspect there wont be any significant differences other than, as I said above people with Twitch and youtube running the game and streaming much faster. Which for most people is a m,oot issue.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Tekaelon said:
    No one wants to release a groundbreaking game on five-year-old technology.
    Make sure you save this line. You can easily repost it again in five years.

rodarin said:
    ...snip.... for space
    Time will tell I suppose 2.6 whatever that actually means is out I suppose people will point out any major changes good or bad. But I suspect there wont be any significant differences other than, as I said above people with Twitch and youtube running the game and streaming much faster. Which for most people is a m,oot issue.
    Are you still chewing on the same bone?  Go take a look at the twitch link instead of talking out your backside and while you're at it take off the tin foil hat.

I have had my share of issues with SC and still do but this is just sad.

gervaise1 said:
    Asm0deus said:
    My thoughts as well.

This means they are tied to Amazon service provider as well I believe and any distribution needs to be through them as well, unless another agreement was made.
    If they are going to use a Cloud provider yes. If they are going to run there own servers no.

From what I have read - and don't follow SC that closely - they were planning to use Google so this will mean they use Amazon. According to the licence agreement though they don't have to.
    rodarin said:
    Asm0deus said:

Lumberjack is Cryengine or a revamped version of it. Much like the version CiG CLAIMED to have built. Like i said I doubt Amazons version is good enough to run the game either, at least the way they (CiG/Chris Roberts) want it to run. 

So if they REALLY rebuilt Cryengine specifically for Star Citizen why the change? Thats what I was trying to get at with my original comment. I highly doubt the Amazon version is as good as the claimed version these guys had and showed those fake movies on last summer at the conventions. I am sure people will go back and see if Roberts mentioned the version of Cryengine they were on but I think he was asked that and from what I remember he claimed it was their (CiG) rebuilt one.

Regardless its another version, but at least this one can actually be verified as an actual change from the original one they said wouldnt work. But like I said above I don think this one will work any better because I doubt highly Amazon has had the time to redo that core aspect. Especially since they have had it for about a year and CR supposedly has had it for much ,longer AND he supposedly had the original designers working for him. Which also begs the question how are they working for him and not Amazon?

This whole thing stinks but what else is new. But they have ZERO excuses now. If the game wont work then what? They throw Amazon under the bus and claim to go back to 'their' version? Which I dont think exists either, or the very least doesnt work, because if it did and it worked why switch?

As I said in the other thread free is good; long term engine support; some enhancements but for me the cross-platform option could potentially be huge imo.