Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game newbie friendly?

MorningLightComethMorningLightCometh Member UncommonPosts: 7
Hello,

A few questions:
  1. Is it difficult to progress as a new player?
  2. Does it require a lot of time to progress?
  3. Is it possible to solo to end game as a newbie within a reasonable amount of time (100 hours, 200 hours, 300 hours)?
  4. Is it possible to explore as a solo player?
Thanks!

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    no
    yes
    hmm possible but i doubt it
    yes
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    First of all this is an old school grind your but off game. The learning curve is high compared to modern mmo's. You can solo or do team missions. If your in a hurry to get to max lvl gamer then don't play this game. And its buggy as hell since the so called graphics update. Random ctd's are your friend here. The game seems to run better on older systems. As a new player you will be gimped because things cost alot of credits. Find i high level player or guild to have mercy on you.
  • MorningLightComethMorningLightCometh Member UncommonPosts: 7
    @Scorchien: Thank you.

@Hariken: I'm not really after end-game as such but rather the ability to explore the game and its locations, lore, etc. I assume you have to be high level to enjoy everything. To rely on high level players is not really my thing and it sounds like the ingame economy makes it difficult for new players to progress unless you spend a huge amount of time on activities not directly related to enjoying the game including doing repetitive tasks that makes no sense except numbers.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2016
    @Scorchien: Thank you.

@Hariken: I'm not really after end-game as such but rather the ability to explore the game and its locations, lore, etc. I assume you have to be high level to enjoy everything. To rely on high level players is not really my thing and it sounds like the ingame economy makes it difficult for new players to progress unless you spend a huge amount of time on activities not directly related to enjoying the game including doing repetitive tasks that makes no sense except numbers.
    There is a ton of enjoyment there if you dont mind the graphics , honeslty if you are new you will really enjoy the 1-100 exp and at that point you are still a noob , Amazing depth in build out your class with gear , impants ,skills , Look up some implant  guides have some fun .... learn the Woompahs ....Subway is great fun and great drops for a new player

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14&pid=122

http://wiki.aodb.us/wiki/Main_Page

have fun
  • PorvalshPorvalsh Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Hello,

A few questions:
    1. Is it difficult to progress as a new player? NO
    2. Does it require a lot of time to progress?  NO/YES
    3. Is it possible to solo to end game as a newbie within a reasonable amount of time (100 hours, 200 hours, 300 hours)?  Difficult
    4. Is it possible to explore as a solo player?  YES
    Thanks!
    Notes:

1.) It is not difficult to progress from 1 to 100 levels.  It is not difficult to be average or mediocre at the game.  Later game is more difficult.

2.) You can get to level 100 solo in a relatively short period of time if you know where to level.  If you want to go even faster you can find groups and grind hecklers or other tougher content.  Even just sticking to RK dungeons will allow you to level pretty quickly.  The higher you get in level the more grindy it gets.  Level 200+ is pretty time consuming.

The better your character the quicker the leveling is.

3.)  There is, or used to be a guide for solo players all the way to end game.  Certain toons are better at this than others.  A lot of the AI content is not what I would say, soloable unless you have really good toons.  Keep in mind that in this game solo=even more grindy.

4.)  Yes, especially with a yalm you can explore all of RK as a lower level toon.  In SL you are restricted by your own capabilities.  The mobs hit hard, and higher level zones will one shot you to death.

Overall, I would say it is a great solo game.  A big part of this game is character development.  If you take the time to progress your LE and AI levels at the same rate as your character level and you take time upgrading gear then you will be very strong and capable solo player in the game.  Your gear should always be higher level than your character.  Weapon should be 2x your level, 3x if you really work hard. 

1-100 is a great experience. Once you get to 100 if you find you're enjoying the game then you can hopefully find some friends to play with.  150+ gets even more fun.  Your character has more utility.  You start laying down serious dmg.

The game is so big that you can't do it all in one go.  You could level almost entirely in RK dungeons, or you can level almost entirely in Shadowlands and not even step into RK dungeons.  There's just a lot to do.

Would love to hear your feedback.
  • MorningLightComethMorningLightCometh Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Porvalsh said:
    Hello,

A few questions:
    1. Is it difficult to progress as a new player? NO
    2. Does it require a lot of time to progress?  NO/YES
    3. Is it possible to solo to end game as a newbie within a reasonable amount of time (100 hours, 200 hours, 300 hours)?  Difficult
    4. Is it possible to explore as a solo player?  YES
    Thanks!
    Notes:

1.) It is not difficult to progress from 1 to 100 levels.  It is not difficult to be average or mediocre at the game.  Later game is more difficult.

2.) You can get to level 100 solo in a relatively short period of time if you know where to level.  If you want to go even faster you can find groups and grind hecklers or other tougher content.  Even just sticking to RK dungeons will allow you to level pretty quickly.  The higher you get in level the more grindy it gets.  Level 200+ is pretty time consuming.

The better your character the quicker the leveling is.

3.)  There is, or used to be a guide for solo players all the way to end game.  Certain toons are better at this than others.  A lot of the AI content is not what I would say, soloable unless you have really good toons.  Keep in mind that in this game solo=even more grindy.

4.)  Yes, especially with a yalm you can explore all of RK as a lower level toon.  In SL you are restricted by your own capabilities.  The mobs hit hard, and higher level zones will one shot you to death.

Overall, I would say it is a great solo game.  A big part of this game is character development.  If you take the time to progress your LE and AI levels at the same rate as your character level and you take time upgrading gear then you will be very strong and capable solo player in the game.  Your gear should always be higher level than your character.  Weapon should be 2x your level, 3x if you really work hard. 

1-100 is a great experience. Once you get to 100 if you find you're enjoying the game then you can hopefully find some friends to play with.  150+ gets even more fun.  Your character has more utility.  You start laying down serious dmg.

The game is so big that you can't do it all in one go.  You could level almost entirely in RK dungeons, or you can level almost entirely in Shadowlands and not even step into RK dungeons.  There's just a lot to do.

Would love to hear your feedback.
    Thanks Porvalsh! Awesome info!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I betaed and played this with my son and husband at one point....gaming as a family best thing ever. My husband had a metaphysicist and if anyone has seen me say this before he is very much into looks and costumes and when he played city of heroes he had you guessed it a bikini hero so clichéd and I told him so but boys will be boys.

Anyway I digress but I recall I used to solo a bit with a trader not the best class to solo engineer I think would have been better but I would buy from the shops you know the had them in the towns that would change their inventory every now and then and I would go out drain some poor leet or bird of paradise and then equip it. I found soloing missions not that bad and I did team up but then the game was more populated I doubt it is populated now so I think if you are patient you can solo missions just don't be greedy about trying hard ones. Pet class probably would be better. I also played the class with the bat I don't recall what it was the melee one and she was fun too my son played a fixer I think.
    Chamber of Chains