Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So are there still WoW clones being made we could whine about?

2»

Comments

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    JDis25 said:
    Bless and Revelation Online are coming out soon. They contain certain WoW features in many ways.
    I tried Bless on RU server 1 week ago and played only to 10 or 11 level so can't say much. But I didn't like the fact I spent my first 10 levels only in 2 cities if I remember correctly doing very linear generic quests before the game navigated me into more open area (so it gets very probably better as you lvl up but still the questing will be very generic I guess, definitely worse than WoW's questing)...combat is really I wouldn't say bad, maybe uhm slow - yeah slow is the word but even if combat would be quicker it's nothing special. Graphics are nice but the game performed really bad on my machine (but I have old machine i5, 8gm RAM, Radeon 6900 series) - really can't remember any MMO which would perform that bad on this machine, funny was that If i tried to lower settings or even resolution, game started to perfom even worse :-D (had mostly 20-30 fps, sometimes even 15). 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I don't think WoW clones are cheap to keep product after one after another failed .

Personally , i think those i called "failed MMORPG" are pretty good games . But they were failed as MMORPG anyway .
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The last one I played was ASTA....If you didnt know better you would swear it was WoW......Funny thing is it had almost no population and Im not even sure it is still going....I imagine it cost quite a bit to make and the returns were very small.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wildstar was the last. Good reddens. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    ste2000 said:

You're probably right. But the sceptic in me doesnt think any of these indie titles will ever hit it big. 

They don't have to.
    Remember, WoW didn't invent MMORPGs, Blizzard joined the market because a small Company with a tiny budget (SoE) made a game that was a relative success.
    Even if it wasn't this big block buster compared to other mainstream games, at the time EQ success convinced Blizzard to enter the market.
    So yes, small guys can make a big difference.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited December 2016
    ste2000 said:
    ste2000 said:

You're probably right. But the sceptic in me doesnt think any of these indie titles will ever hit it big. 

They don't have to.
    Remember, WoW didn't invent MMORPGs, Blizzard joined the market because a small Company with a tiny budget (SoE) made a game that was a relative success.
    Even if it wasn't this big block buster compared to other mainstream games, at the time EQ success convinced Blizzard to enter the market.
    So yes, small guys can make a big difference.

Yes, but a small company then, I believe, had different motivations for making games. It seems now the formula is Kickstarter + Early Access + Clueless Investor = $ucce$$

You don't even have to deliver a game once you've completed the equation.

The downside is the big boys are learning they can do the same thing.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Muke said:
    It doesn't take a WoW clone to get people to whine on these forums. 

Prerequisite: breathing
    WoW IS a clone itself. It hasn't invented anything.
    Only improved pretty much everything. 
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    ste2000 said:
    Wildstar isn't a WoW clone, as they are quite different one from the other.

Are they?
    In what way?
    Are you fucking blind ? At least combat is VERY different in Wildstar in comparation with WoW. Housing ? Theme? 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    IceAge said:
    ste2000 said:

Are they?
    In what way?
    Are you fucking blind ? At least combat is VERY different in Wildstar in comparation with WoW. Housing ? Theme? 

So basically, same shit different day.
  • UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174
    ste2000 said:

Are they?
    In what way?
    By being an MMO it's automatically a "wow clone."