Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm playing Archeage.. despite all the hate.

Comments

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited December 2016
    Im trying AA also (only level 21) but I find it pretty themeparkish....Still havent even found a fishing trainer and to me the game steers us towards just doing quests....I keep hearing all these people say its sandbox but Im not seeing it.
    I had a few ppl start with me that got the same impression. A quest based themepark but no where near as good as WoW and FFXIV. And with good reason the quest in AA really are its weakest area.

What is not explained well in AA is you do not have to do quest, they are there but you honestly can get to cap level without doing 1 leveling quest . You can get BIS gear without doing 1 boss or dungeon fight, literally you can grow potatoes and get the best gear in the game... might be 100 billion potatoes but it is doable.

The sandbox in archeage is that you can take any path you want. Level up with quest, farming mobs, farming in general, mining, crafting, diving for sunken treasure, raising and salvaing sunken ships, moving trade good across the continent or the sea. The choice on how you level and make money is completely up to you.

The best gear in AA can be purchased with Gold. So unlike most mmos, Money holds true power. Since this is true all content that generates a profit technically can be used for endgame progression.

Endgame you have the above stuff + Ship Battles, PvP, Pirating, Castle Sieges if you are in a large endgame guild, Nation building if you are in a really higher tier guild, dungeons, mob farming for upgrade parts, guild missions and so on.

So the path you take in AA is up to you. The game is not on rails at all, that is the sandbox. As a new player I would get with a veteran to help you get into it and learn what the game has to offer. Questing is only maby 5-10% of the game.

Words of advice if you are new, not sure if you got patron status. But this is really required to play this game... without it you cannot own land and youget horrible labor regen. Without it archeage really is a subpar game since you cannot do 70% of the what the game offers due to never having labor.

Archeage is not really F2P, it is free to trial with massive restrictions. You have to either buy patron with cash, or spend ~1700 gold a month for it. Much easier to use cash until you get yourself established, then 1700 gold is easy to make every month with alittle effort.

At level 21, focus on getting some land (required patron). Start messing around in commerce. Do a few trade runs, do some fishing, do some farming/crafting, try some sunken chest. Try to find out what you enjoy doing to make money. The work on upgrading your  infrastructure. Get a house, then upgrade it. Work on vehicles. Get larger/upgraded farms. Every thing you do will increase your profit potential and thus allow you to progress faster.

And if you have not, join a guild. Even as a new player it should be easy to find a guild. Not only do you level faster... the game is designed around guilds more or less. Getting into an active one that does things together will make this game tons better then what it is solo or just trying to join in faction events.

Set your goals in AA, and work towards them. And know this game takes time.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    raystantz said:
    Im trying AA also (only level 21) but I find it pretty themeparkish....Still havent even found a fishing trainer and to me the game steers us towards just doing quests....I keep hearing all these people say its sandbox but Im not seeing it.
    I think the entire idea of Sandbox is doing whatever it is you want to do. If you don't want to quest, stop doing quests.
    AA questline is really just a 30+ lvl Tutorial laying out all there systems , it does teach you alot
    There isnt a Fishing Trainer , there is a questline that will teach you how to make your first rod and reel , then a few catch(xfish) for a few more rewards , Or you could just buy rod off AH and bait .. and go fishing
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    raystantz said:
    Then you should keep playing it... don't know why you care what other people thinks. It is personal preference

raystantz said:
    I'm currently level 20, and I seem to be having fun. I'm not paying attention to much, just playing at my own leisure.
    I think probably a fun game to play as a new or casual player because you know you will never own land/housing anyways, so there goes the burden of playing the game.

However from the perspective of a early starter or vet player though it is probably a terrible game because of all the money sink/grind just to remain somewhat competitive... and plus a lot of them will have negative views also because of all the bad launches an the bugs at the start that costed them the competitive edge, and they will most likely never get over it.

I would like to own land/housing. I'm fine with becoming Patron. I'm not fine with spending more than I'd spend in WoW to keep up or be remotely competitive. 
    if thats the case you will be dissapointed ...
    This is wrong. The people telling you this are wrong. I had houses on both Rangora and Morpheus (A really nice water house on Morpheus and a 16x16 house plus two 16x16 farms on Rangora.) after like a month of play while also working a full time job. Yes, land and houses are expensive. No you will likely not be able to afford one of those guild mansions. Yes you can afford land if you're playing fairly actively.

Plus bound tax certs are one of the fastest ways to burn labor. It's a very low value way to burn labor but if you don't have time to play to earn the money to buy tax certs... 

Basically what I'm saying is there is no excuses to not be able to pay your taxes if you're patron.
    No its not , i leveled 2 toons , to max level geared them up as best as possible with out throwing my wallet at AA , And you will not be remotely competitive , You will be 1 shot .. over and over useless cannon fodder for the swipers ......  
    See I spent my first 1500g on a merchant ship and started using it for overseas trades almost immediately. This was on Morpheus while it was still the most active server in the game but long enough after release that I was way behind the equipment points curve. All I ever invested in the game was patron fees and was set up with my own merchant ship, an aqua house (the larger version), and had enough player skill / gear that I could face anyone but the mega swipers and day one guilds.

I will put that one part I'm leaving out is that I founded and ran a fairly successful guild that was really good about coming when people called for help on Teamspeak. That did help make my merchant runs more successful but we very rarely even encountered resistance because of the routes we took. Most the runs we did could have been done with 2-3 people of any gearscore. (Captain, radar, and an extra to help get the boat unloaded faster and bubble potential borders.)
    edited December 2016
    ArcheAge is a themepark from level 1 to somewhere between 30 and Max. Basically when you get the guts to venture out onto the ocean is when you will experience all the sandbox content. That's first practical at level 30 but if you go out there at that point you're basically hoping you won't get seen by anyone who would kill you or else you will die.

At max level with a bit of gear and as a member of a good guild you can have fun fighting anyone but the mega-twinks. Unless you have some mega-twink allies on your side. Then you can fight anyone. Most of the mega-twinks are part of exclusive guilds that only respect members of other guilds that are filled with mega-twinks unfortunately.

The entire premise of the guild I'm running for Fresh Start NA is to get strong enough to be a serious opposition to some of the mega-twink guilds and use our power to help out smaller guilds and less twinked players though. Basically a group for Chaotic-Good PvPers who want to take a chunk out of the generally evil aligned groups that tend to run ArcheAge and win some victories for the little guys. :)
    edited December 2016
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    raystantz said:
    Then you should keep playing it... don't know why you care what other people thinks. It is personal preference

raystantz said:
    I'm currently level 20, and I seem to be having fun. I'm not paying attention to much, just playing at my own leisure.
    I think probably a fun game to play as a new or casual player because you know you will never own land/housing anyways, so there goes the burden of playing the game.

However from the perspective of a early starter or vet player though it is probably a terrible game because of all the money sink/grind just to remain somewhat competitive... and plus a lot of them will have negative views also because of all the bad launches an the bugs at the start that costed them the competitive edge, and they will most likely never get over it.

I would like to own land/housing. I'm fine with becoming Patron. I'm not fine with spending more than I'd spend in WoW to keep up or be remotely competitive. 
    This is wrong. The people telling you this are wrong. I had houses on both Rangora and Morpheus (A really nice water house on Morpheus and a 16x16 house plus two 16x16 farms on Rangora.) after like a month of play while also working a full time job. Yes, land and houses are expensive. No you will likely not be able to afford one of those guild mansions. Yes you can afford land if you're playing fairly actively.

Plus bound tax certs are one of the fastest ways to burn labor. It's a very low value way to burn labor but if you don't have time to play to earn the money to buy tax certs... 

Basically what I'm saying is there is no excuses to not be able to pay your taxes if you're patron.
    No its not , i leveled 2 toons , to max level geared them up as best as possible with out throwing my wallet at AA , And you will not be remotely competitive , You will be 1 shot .. over and over useless cannon fodder for the swipers ......  
    See I spent my first 1500g on a merchant ship and started using it for overseas trades almost immediately. This was on Morpheus while it was still the most active server in the game but long enough after release that I was way behind the equipment points curve. All I ever invested in the game was patron fees and was set up with my own merchant ship, an aqua house (the larger version), and had enough player skill / gear that I could face anyone but the mega swipers and day one guilds.

I will put that one part I'm leaving out is that I founded and ran a fairly successful guild that was really good about coming when people called for help on Teamspeak. That did help make my merchant runs more successful but we very rarely even encountered resistance because of the routes we took. Most the runs we did could have been done with 2-3 people of any gearscore. (Captain, radar, and an extra to help get the boat unloaded faster and bubble potential borders.)
    yea yea yea , i got all that and some, i get that , i also i have 2 toons with 12k gold between them sitting there .. And geared up pretty good on both , But you still will get one shot by the swipers Over and Over again , there is no denying it , avoiding it, or arguing it ... Its what the game was built to be .... And why i dont play ..

Remove the CAsh-Shop and P2W , and i am there .. Great game gone wrong with Cash-Shop Poster Child is what AA is...
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    raystantz said:

raystantz said:

yea yea yea , i got all that and some, i get that , i also i have 2 toons with 12k gold between them sitting there .. And geared up pretty good on both , But you still will get one shot by the swipers Over and Over again , there is no denying it , avoiding it, or arguing it ... Its what the game was built to be .... And why i dont play ..

Remove the CAsh-Shop and P2W , and i am there .. Great game gone wrong with Cash-Shop Poster Child is what AA is...
    That's it in a nutshell. As long as that is an allowed mechanic of the game.. I don't think I can play. 

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    If you ever get bored then just make a trade pack and run into one of the red zones on the map.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    raystantz said:
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    raystantz said:

raystantz said:

That's it in a nutshell. As long as that is an allowed mechanic of the game.. I don't think I can play. 
    This is ultimately the main reason I left as well. The fresh server really does address it for any active player that gets in early though. On Morpheus veterans came in with massive amounts of labor potions and cash shops credits from other characters.

The Fresh start server releases with no labor potions and some of the other game breaking items in the market, and requires an account made December 10th or later. If you make a fresh start server character it won't allow you to make a legacy server character after that.

Obviously people who play the most and make a lot of gold will have the biggest advantage. The difference between the fresh start and legacy though is I'm betting that anyone who spends all their labor each day in a fairly intelligent fashion will end close enough in equipment score to the majority of swipers and no-lifers that they won't get totally wrecked.

On Morpheus I saw swipers take on like 5 skilled PvPers in 3-5k gearscore at a time like it was nothing because they could one-two shot them all. Skill wasn't involved, you just target them and throw off some attacks and the fight is over.

If you're burning you're labor half-way effectively that shouldn't be the case if you join the fresh start on day 1. I think you'll see the swiperiest swipers of them all go down to 2-3 casual day one players if those players know how to roll in the gold.

And like I said, if you are having an issue with lack of confidence in making gold, I'd be glad to tell you in PMs how to get yourself set up right.
    Eldurian said:
    raystantz said:
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    raystantz said:

raystantz said:

This is ultimately the main reason I left as well. The fresh server really does address it for any active player that gets in early though. On Morpheus veterans came in with massive amounts of labor potions and cash shops credits from other characters.

The Fresh start server releases with no labor potions and some of the other game breaking items in the market, and requires an account made December 10th or later. If you make a fresh start server character it won't allow you to make a legacy server character after that.

Obviously people who play the most and make a lot of gold will have the biggest advantage. The difference between the fresh start and legacy though is I'm betting that anyone who spends all their labor each day in a fairly intelligent fashion will end close enough in equipment score to the majority of swipers and no-lifers that they won't get totally wrecked.

On Morpheus I saw swipers take on like 5 skilled PvPers in 3-5k gearscore at a time like it was nothing because they could one-two shot them all. Skill wasn't involved, you just target them and throw off some attacks and the fight is over.

If you're burning you're labor half-way effectively that shouldn't be the case if you join the fresh start on day 1. I think you'll see the swiperiest swipers of them all go down to 2-3 casual day one players if those players know how to roll in the gold.

And like I said, if you are having an issue with lack of confidence in making gold, I'd be glad to tell you in PMs how to get yourself set up right.
    I'm gonna send you a PM. I like the game enough to want to give that a shot.

Currently playing:

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited December 2016
    When does this fresh start server start ? Does this game still have peacetime areas where you can level and get resources without worrying about PvP. Can I play this game and avoid PvP altogether ? I have never tried this game so am interested.

kitarad said:
    When does this fresh start server start ? Does this game still have peacetime areas where you can level and get resources without worrying about PvP. Can I play this game and avoid PvP altogether ? I have never tried this game so am interested.
    The game is based around PVP so I'd say no. The fresh start server opens dec. 10th.

Currently playing:

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    kitarad said:
    The level 1 - 30 zones are in peace full time so you can quest, grind, do trade runs there whenever without ever being attacked. After that, most of the zones follow a conflict/war/peace cycle that is advanced depending on a set number of player kills in that zone. Some zones cycle from war/peace in set time periods, irrespective of player kills/activity in the zone. Then there are other zones that are in conflict full time and you can always kill/be killed there.
    raystantz said:
    kitarad said:
    The game is based around PVP so I'd say no. The fresh start server opens dec. 10th.
    You don't even know this?  You really got no clue what is getting ready to happen to you at all do you?
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Archeage could have been the best MMO out there. Now it's just another MMO pining for your every earned cent. TERA/BDO are the best games for your money, but TERA much more of a themepark. BDO is not time friendly, as a casual, don't expect to win many PvP battles.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    edited December 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    kitarad said:
    The level 1 - 30 zones are in peace full time so you can quest, grind, do trade runs there whenever without ever being attacked. After that, most of the zones follow a conflict/war/peace cycle that is advanced depending on a set number of player kills in that zone. Some zones cycle from war/peace in set time periods, irrespective of player kills/activity in the zone. Then there are other zones that are in conflict full time and you can always kill/be killed there.
    I heard a rumor at some point that you can't attack someone while they are on a farm even during wartime or something weird.  Now I played at launch and remember the cycles of wartimes.  Does anyone know if those cycles changed in how they work or what happens like you no longer get honor for kills?  The straw that broke the camel's back for me was they launched Auroria and you don't even get honor for kills there.

Ok I assume the archeage website is correct.  They really screwed this up.  You only get honor during the 1 hour wartime in a zone.  Meanwhile all the other hostile cycles you don't get any honor.  And then the 2 hour peace well that happens after the war is over.  Its all based on the pkills that take place during the first stages of conflict.

Yea they screwed that up.  Just more proof I don't want to return to this game.  The only real way to get honor is to fight in the arena.  If I wanted an arena game I would play DOTA2.
    filmoret said:
    Forgrimm said:
    kitarad said:
    I heard a rumor at some point that you can't attack someone while they are on a farm even during wartime or something weird.  Now I played at launch and remember the cycles of wartimes.  Does anyone know if those cycles changed in how they work or what happens like you no longer get honor for kills?  The straw that broke the camel's back for me was they launched Auroria and you don't even get honor for kills there.
    Yeah, not long before I left they changed it so that if you were in a housing/farm district in a zone that was in conflict, you couldn't be attacked. Only way you could be attacked on a property is if the zone was in full blown war phase. There was a huge uproar over it when they made the change, not sure if it was reverted or not.
    Can they destroy your home in the wartime ? Can you get a farm in the 1-30 areas ?

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    i enjoyed AA @ start in korea..

Shit was fun as fck.. running around as Death priest doing spell dmg and good healing .. shit was op

kitarad said:
    Can they destroy your home in the wartime ? Can you get a farm in the 1-30 areas ?
    Homes can't be destroyed unless you don't pay your taxes for 2 weeks. Then someone can destroy it and place their own farm/house on that plot of land and your farm/house design gets returned to you via mail. You can place farms and houses in the designated areas in the 1 - 30 zones.
    Great thanks. I will check it out after X'mas as I cannot play during X'mas.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    OK now I see where the p2w aspect of the game comes in.....Im not going patron...I dont find it to be that good of a game and I am not a PVPer.
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    kitarad said:
    You don't even know this?  You really got no clue what is getting ready to happen to you at all do you?
    Okay? Is it not a PVP game? If it isn't then I have no business playing.

Currently playing:

raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    kitarad said:
    Okay? Is it not a PVP game? If it isn't then I have no business playing.
    Its a game that has pvp.  It is not a pvp centric game.  There are safe zones where you cannot be attacked.  Then there are the other zones where they start out as hostile then as people kill each other they start a war.  During the war you can get points for pvp but only during the war.  I'm not sure you can get points for ocean pvp.  But the ocean is always pvp zone.  The war lasts 1 hour then you have 2 hours of peace where noone can attack.  The problem is they do not reward pvp very well at all.
    edited December 2016
    All the interesting stuff happens in PvP zones. You can level from 1-30 and play Farmville in the safezones if desired. If you are playing NA fresh start on Nuian side you're free to roll with us when we do the fun stuff.