Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO aspect would you like to see forever removed never to return?

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:
    Combat-Centric. That has to go, needs to be more diverse and more social aspects to the game by showing respect to those who want to contribute to the world without ever having to fight a mob or player. Every mmo imo should have a couple non-combat skills/classes. Theres no reason to not have that. Thats my opinion though.

Can you give 10 unique examples of what you want?

Also, are you saying the swordsman should get better without swinging his sword?  Ex:  By cooking or going to social events.
    I kind of hope that is not what Apex meant. I think that you could get better at being a swordsman by practice and by use. Maybe you could get some benefits from reading a book or treatise.

I think that combat-centrism isn't a bad thing if it doesn't completely dominate the design of the game. In many games the characters are so completely devoted to combat that they can do nothing else. I like weapons, but a character should be able to be more than just a weapon with bag slots. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Questing as the primary means of gaining XP (this basically applies to 'R'PGs in general).

I don't mind if games have quests, and I (generally) like those that tell a story, but being lead around by pointless fetch quests just so I can get XP in a timely manner, just so I can level up in a timely manner, just so I can finally do something interesting and fun (in a timely manner) is boring to say the least.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    H0urg1ass said:
    Kyleran said:

Even EVE has started increasing the number of "for a limited time only" events which I can't stand, giving you a few weeks only to hunt some pirate faction for items with a rapid expiry timer.
    Oh this.  I really dislike this new trend in EVE.  I often take 2-3 month breaks from EVE and I really hate feeling like I have to come back in order to reap the rewards of some limited time event.  In fact, I've skipped almost all of them so far.

I didn't know they added that.  Wow.  Daily quests are a curse to how I want to play an mmoRPG.  It is like a break in the character's story.  Like the hobbits I mentioned in a previous post.

Quests should be important to the character and story.  The quest for the holy grail or even a paladin's quest for his warhorse is good.  Kill 10 fox is a job unless you are really creative about it.

Perhaps not the only way to have story I would add.  How about jobs to earn money?  Too many foxes killing the farmers chickens?  I will give you 10 copper for each one you bring me in the next 60 minutes.

Want to earn faction with the rogues guild?  Here is a mission to sneak into someplace and do something. Earn X faction points with the rogues guild.

Although I am not against special events.  You destroy that bridge and it is gone until rebuilt.  If you were on a 2-3 month break you missed out on it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CodeBluCodeBlu Member UncommonPosts: 30
    The aspects inside any MMORPG that I would like to disappear without a trace and never come back ever again........... Well I guess everyone will agree with me that in every online game we have encountered so far there is always someone selling in-game items for real cash and these guys are destroying the economy and eventually the game itself. Like in MU Origin there are a lot of bots running around and ad spammers. The game is great especially after the Magic knight patch. I hope they could find a way to mass ban these bots. 
  • g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited December 2016
    Quests, the current way they are implemented. I also dislike how every character becomes the major hero in every event. Cant i just be a dude in the world doing what i do...
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited December 2016
    Mob grinding which includes kill x monsters, gather y items from monsters style questing as the main way to progress through the game. Daily quests that copy the formula of kill x monsters, gather y items from monsters.

If your lead content designer can't come up with a more interesting fashion to play the game replace them.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited December 2016
    Paid DLC. Not because the of the hoary "greedy devs!" reason (wanting to make a living isn't greedy) but because each paid DLC fractures the community a little more and shortens the life of the game. The good news is that I've been reading that companies are exploring better ways to de!Iver fresh content while keeping community continuity (say that three times fast) and still make money.

The ability to kick players can certainly be abused, but it remains a vital tool and thankfully no company afaik are seriously entertaining it.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Torval said:
    GladDog said:
    kitarad said:
    Forced PvP.

Dungeon kicking if it is removed you are going to be with people who do not want to have anything to do with you. Although you say it prevents you from learning the dungeon slowly but it begs the question why you expect people to teach you. If you want a group to teach you the dungeon then go with your guild.

Random strangers do not want to have to spend time sometimes playing with people who do not know what they are doing. Their money, their time, their prerogative so by forcing them to be in a group with you is not really improving neither your dungeon experience nor theirs. Join a group and inform them that you are new and if they mind instead of forcing them to deal with you.
    This type of elitist attitude is part of the reason I quit playing WoW and will never go back again.  I was one of the dungeon runner/raiders that was quite knowledgeable in what to do, but if I was in a group that someone was kicked for not 'understanding the dungeon', I quit playing with that group.   Heck even though I knew the dungeons, I was occasionally kicked because I may not have been 'DPSy' or 'Healy' enough for their standards.

Bah.  There are plenty of much friendlier games out there, I don't need that shit.
    I see both ends of the annoyance, or rather I've been on both ends of the situation. This is pretty much why I don't do pugs anymore. I like to play with friends or guildies or just solo. For pug play I like public dungeons like in ESO or games with overland public events (GW2, Rift, etc).
    I will clarify this a bit.  For PUGs, you get what you get.  If, however, you get a player that is not contributing, but is the first one there for loot, that is different.  They should be kicked.  A player that is unknowledgable but trying, and listening to the leader, is different.  Anyone that refuses to run with someone like that is IMO borderline elitist.  A leader that would kick such a person has A) forgotten what it was like when he was a rookie, & B) should be running in guild groups.

That said, if you are in an unworkable group, you always have the option of quitting the team.  I play games for fun, and if my fun threshold is not being met, I can look elsewhere.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Singleplayer mainstory, everyone is leader/commander/high general whatever. Make a singleplayer game or an mmo.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:
    Combat-Centric. That has to go, needs to be more diverse and more social aspects to the game by showing respect to those who want to contribute to the world without ever having to fight a mob or player. Every mmo imo should have a couple non-combat skills/classes. Theres no reason to not have that. Thats my opinion though.

Also, are you saying the swordsman should get better without swinging his sword?  Ex:  By cooking or going to social events.
    I don't think he's saying you should get better at combat by not being in combat, just that combat shouldn't be the only option to gain XP and become a good player that contributes to the game as a whole. I think asking for 10 examples is a bit much considering how combat has just one example, "kill things". How about:

Crafting
    Diplomancy
    Mediator
    City Planning

Thing is, most games don't implement social skills very well. It's more exciting to hack your enemies than to negotiate a truce and most game mechanics reflect that. I haven't heard of a system where instead of HP you have Social Points you have to whittle down using non-combat skills until someone gets to 0. Yes, it sounds silly but how would you implement a way to use social skills in a game that's exciting?
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Battlegrounds / E-Sports.

I like PvP, but instanced and structured combat is pretty non-immersive.
  • TzavokTzavok Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited December 2016
    Stats, quests as main source of progress, levels and map.

By stats i mean the classic ones, agility, stamina, blah blah.

Gear should have effects and durability, for example a shield shouldn't look like this:

Shield of Uber Tanking

+ 1000 armor,
    + 50 defense
    + 10% block rating
    + 200 stamina

To me it should look more like this:

Shield That May Keep me Alive

Material: Wood
    Durability: Not very good
    Current Status: Almost Broken (Should Repair)

So, every time you block with it, it breaks and when it gets destroyed, you would have to repair it to be useful again.

Armor should reduce the dmg received for a certain amount, but with every durability point lost, it should reduce it less, Chain Mails and Plate Armor should make you very tanky, but have very weak effects or none at all, Clothing and Leather should have lots of cool effects, but make you fragile in combat, and have lower durability.

Now for effects, you could have Active Skills, Procs, Permanent buffs, etc. These could be found more frequently and stronger in Cloth and Leather Armor, which would make these classes more versatile, but very fragile too.

I've always liked the idea of gloves that gives you a Grappling Hook instead of just plain stats.

Levels should be eliminated and make a different kind of progress, like class proficiency or something more interesting than just levels.

Quests of course should exist, but not be the only source of progress and just be an option like everything else.

And the map, maybe not completely remove it, but don't give the exact location of EVERYTHING, it makes the world that most times is already small, EVEN SMALLER! If you insist in a map, at least give a not very detailed map, just a general idea of the world.
    Post edited by Tzavok on

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150

For me, that is a simple one.

I would love to see exponential player level, stat increase, item strength and content level be removed forever.

I think increasing in level, stats, finding better items, and going to harder places in the game should not be exponential to where endgame content completely destroys the entire original mass majority (what, 95%? 98%?) of the actual game before the endgame.

Being 3x stronger at level 70 than level 60 seems insane. A sick dying child could still kill an ultimate warrior because that ultimate warrior is mortal and has skin and organs and bleeds, so why is it a level 1 would have laughably zero percent chance to kill a level 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 player character even if given forever to do it?

I think exponential advancement destroys MMOs. Given proper attention to detail and content calculation, small increases of player levels, stats and items can still be made challenging to the current level and increasingly harder to lower levels. All it would take is actually caring about making the small changes to the content to make it that way.

Any new content that makes the 99% of content before it completely useless and sadly comparable with an ant and a shoe, is, well, a terrible idea.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

edited December 2016
    waynejr2 said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Kyleran said:

Even EVE has started increasing the number of "for a limited time only" events which I can't stand, giving you a few weeks only to hunt some pirate faction for items with a rapid expiry timer.
    Oh this.  I really dislike this new trend in EVE.  I often take 2-3 month breaks from EVE and I really hate feeling like I have to come back in order to reap the rewards of some limited time event.  In fact, I've skipped almost all of them so far.

I didn't know they added that.  Wow.  Daily quests are a curse to how I want to play an mmoRPG.  It is like a break in the character's story.  Like the hobbits I mentioned in a previous post.

Quests should be important to the character and story.  The quest for the holy grail or even a paladin's quest for his warhorse is good.  Kill 10 fox is a job unless you are really creative about it.

Perhaps not the only way to have story I would add.  How about jobs to earn money?  Too many foxes killing the farmers chickens?  I will give you 10 copper for each one you bring me in the next 60 minutes.

Want to earn faction with the rogues guild?  Here is a mission to sneak into someplace and do something. Earn X faction points with the rogues guild.

Although I am not against special events.  You destroy that bridge and it is gone until rebuilt.  If you were on a 2-3 month break you missed out on it.
    Sir, I'll have you know that in LOTRO being tasked with rescuing Filbert's handkerchief from bandits while the Fellowship went off on some silly quest to save the world from evil or some rubbish, was the most epic adventure of my young hobbit hero's life. I'll ask you not to make mock of it.

Funny!

At least you weren't tasked with rescuing Filbert's Nuts.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Alverant said:
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:

I don't think he's saying you should get better at combat by not being in combat, just that combat shouldn't be the only option to gain XP and become a good player that contributes to the game as a whole. I think asking for 10 examples is a bit much considering how combat has just one example, "kill things". How about:

Crafting
    Diplomancy
    Mediator
    City Planning

Thing is, most games don't implement social skills very well. It's more exciting to hack your enemies than to negotiate a truce and most game mechanics reflect that. I haven't heard of a system where instead of HP you have Social Points you have to whittle down using non-combat skills until someone gets to 0. Yes, it sounds silly but how would you implement a way to use social skills in a game that's exciting?

I like details. If someone said I want non-combat in my mmoRPG it would be useful to hear what they specially want.  Or if they simply have no idea what they want beyond "non-combat" and expect the devs to just figure out what that means and hope they get it right.  It is a tough sell.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Carrot on a stick as the only reason to play.
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited December 2016
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:

No I'm not saying that.

I'm looking for stuff like crafting focused skills/classes, entertainers, musicians, dancers, singers, mayors, city council, medic, blacksmith, tradesman stuff like that. Thats what the game needs to make the game more lively, yes I'm somewhat suggesting some RP roles but they don't necessarily have to be in character all the time. It would be like a player who has their title visible to other players as mayor and builds the city with their exclusive abilities or manages he/she can say "Whats up guys just got home from making a visit to a museum" doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the character.

It gets stale to see everyone in the game wield their weapons and be a hero to whatever journey your taking which is probably the same journey. Like I said this is what we need to make the game more alive and for people to be more immersed because AI can only get you immersed to a certain point, when players help other players get immersed its just different and unique.

Entertainer type classes can be responsible to provide buffs to people and people who cook food can provide other buffs to people stims/potions etc.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
    waynejr2 said:
    Alverant said:
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:

Crafting
    Diplomancy
    Mediator
    City Planning

I like details. If someone said I want non-combat in my mmoRPG it would be useful to hear what they specially want.  Or if they simply have no idea what they want beyond "non-combat" and expect the devs to just figure out what that means and hope they get it right.  It is a tough sell.

The vanilla Ultima Online (I mean real vanilla, before the changes that came before T2A) it was 100% skills based. Don't want to fight with swords? Don't use swords, your swords skill will stay low or go lower from lack of use. Want to mine and blacksmith? Have at it, the more you do the higher your skill goes, very, very slowly. Making decent money mining and blacksmithing but tired of running from mobs since you don't use any attack skills? No problem, hire somebody that does. If it was a skill, you could make money off of it. Spirit Speak used to earn a decent sum of money for people to hear what their red and dead ghost friends were saying. Mages used to make money inscripting one-time-use scrolls with spells for weaker people, then they'd use the money to afford more spell reagents to practice casting spells.

Your stats, Strength(melee attack damage modifier, exact max health amount, max carry weight modifier), Stamina(attack speed modifier, ability to push through people/mobs) and Intelligence(exact max spell mana) (I am sure I forgot some affects or even called dexterity stamina, its been 20 years...), were specifically affected by the skills you practiced. Mining, blacksmithing, swordsmanship, macing, were mainly strength skills and somewhat stamina skills, so they raised those stats accordingly based on how much you performed those actions. Spirit speak, inscription, magery, all were intelligence skills and raised that stat according to how much you performed those actions.

No need to grind mobs if you didn't want to, or to ever fight at all. Save up, buy a bakery shop, and enjoy your days as a baker.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Talonsin said:
    Dailies - I dont need a second job.  Just put meaningful content in the game and stop hiding the good stuff behind daily repetition.

Lootboxes - Dont make me pay extra to get loot from mobs

RNG Crafting - Why have crafting levels if it has no effect on how successful you will be when making something?  When I fail 50 times and my guildmate gets it on his first try, it makes me want to leave the game.
    One reason I quickly stopped playing GW2 at launch was the presentation of daily quests that made me feel like I was missing out if I didnt do them.

I enjoy logging into a MMORPG and doing my own thing, so I am loath for "forced" schedule activities including raiding, CTAs, holiday events (complete them before they end) along with dailies.

Don't you remember the hobbits in the lord of the rings having to run back to the shire to do daily quests?
    There daily quests were more about eating throughout the day.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Talonsin said:
    Dailies - I dont need a second job.  Just put meaningful content in the game and stop hiding the good stuff behind daily repetition.

RNG Crafting - Why have crafting levels if it has no effect on how successful you will be when making something?  When I fail 50 times and my guildmate gets it on his first try, it makes me want to leave the game.
    One reason I quickly stopped playing GW2 at launch was the presentation of daily quests that made me feel like I was missing out if I didnt do them.

I enjoy logging into a MMORPG and doing my own thing, so I am loath for "forced" schedule activities including raiding, CTAs, holiday events (complete them before they end) along with dailies.

GW2 is one of the few games that you can enjoy the content you want for the most part.  I don't do daily's, fractiles, dungeons, raids, and barely PvP but always manage to login and have fun with dynamic events, exploration still, public boss fights.  ESO crafting isn't necessary or having gear sets in PvE which is why I still play that game.   
    You can't present a progression focused, efficiency fanatic a list pf activities that appear to be the most efficient way to progress and then say, nevermind. ;)
    It's more about fun then efficiency to me.  Seldom will I suffer through content because it's the best way to progress.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Level Scaling
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Talonsin said:

Don't you remember the hobbits in the lord of the rings having to run back to the shire to do daily quests?
    There daily quests were more about eating throughout the day.

All those meals they ate every day and not once did JRRT mention hobbits pooping.  This lead to the thought that hobbits never pooped.

waynejr2 said:
    Alverant said:
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:

Crafting
    Diplomancy
    Mediator
    City Planning

The vanilla Ultima Online (I mean real vanilla, before the changes that came before T2A) it was 100% skills based. Don't want to fight with swords? Don't use swords, your swords skill will stay low or go lower from lack of use. Want to mine and blacksmith? Have at it, the more you do the higher your skill goes, very, very slowly. Making decent money mining and blacksmithing but tired of running from mobs since you don't use any attack skills? No problem, hire somebody that does. If it was a skill, you could make money off of it. Spirit Speak used to earn a decent sum of money for people to hear what their red and dead ghost friends were saying. Mages used to make money inscripting one-time-use scrolls with spells for weaker people, then they'd use the money to afford more spell reagents to practice casting spells.

Your stats, Strength(melee attack damage modifier, exact max health amount, max carry weight modifier), Stamina(attack speed modifier, ability to push through people/mobs) and Intelligence(exact max spell mana) (I am sure I forgot some affects or even called dexterity stamina, its been 20 years...), were specifically affected by the skills you practiced. Mining, blacksmithing, swordsmanship, macing, were mainly strength skills and somewhat stamina skills, so they raised those stats accordingly based on how much you performed those actions. Spirit speak, inscription, magery, all were intelligence skills and raised that stat according to how much you performed those actions.

No need to grind mobs if you didn't want to, or to ever fight at all. Save up, buy a bakery shop, and enjoy your days as a baker.

I was asking ApexTKM what he meant not you. That is why he was quoted.  Your answer doesn't match what he meant.

waynejr2 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Alverant said:
    waynejr2 said:
    ApexTKM said:

Crafting
    Diplomancy
    Mediator
    City Planning

I was asking ApexTKM what he meant not you. That is why he was quoted.  Your answer doesn't match what he meant.
    And now we never have to see each other's posts =)))

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    For me this is a easy question to answer.  Games that try and do it all to get more players.   Pick something an stick to it.  If you want to make a PVE only game do it.  If you want to make a open world PVP game do it.  Not saying that there can't be a game with both server types either.  Just saying if you are going to do something do it, don't released something that is half ass because you want a bigger player base.   Another example is crafting, if you are going to have crafting and gathering have it be meaningful, don't let them get to max level to just find out they are wanted or needed in the game at all.