Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It IS a Survival Game -- It ISN'T an MMORPG - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageIt IS a Survival Game -- It ISN'T an MMORPG - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

Conan Exiles News - In addition to the brand new Conan Exiles trailer, the dev team has posted a new blog that lays out what the game is and isn't for fans looking forward to a new survival title based in the Robert E. Howard universe.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Honestly, with PvE servers, I'm in. :) It's the first survival title I've actually been interested in. Yay!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    SBFord said:
    Honestly, with PvE servers, I'm in. :) It's the first survival title I've actually been interested in. Yay!

Yup if that's the case I going to go buy an Xbox1 S so I can PVE this game on my sofa. 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I think we knew it wasn't an MMORPG but I'm still pretty excited about trying this out.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    They keep stressing its not a MMORPG, yet list features that have been in them previously. (Xyson)

Eating and drinking to survive are trademarks of survival games, but not exclusive to them.

So why not a MMORPG? Likely number of players per server is small, they didn't bother to say in the annoucement.

Eh, another early access title because they want to "share its development" with their audience.

Cough, cough, BS, the comments about being a smaller, different studio reflect they are just another cash starved indie who need the money to deliver a full game.

Can't wait to see a game launched that isn't early access, seems to be quite the rarity these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    No Man's Sky taught some lessons across the industry. While we knew it wasn't an MMORPG, making a blanket statement will probably become the norm.

Good news - We may finally quit seeing the word "MMO" thrown around so loosely.

This is one of the few worlds I've been looking forward to hopping into.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Can't help but feel this is a little late to the survival genre party.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Yeah but the thing is, it's in the Conan universe. I don't normally go for any of the current survival games but this one has me intrigued.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Yeah but the thing is, it's in the Conan universe. I don't normally go for any of the current survival games but this one has me intrigued.
    100% agree with this. I have no real interest in survival games as a genre, but this one, because it's set in Howard's world, gets my attention in ways that none of the others do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited November 2016
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    100% agree with this. I have no real interest in survival games as a genre, but this one, because it's set in Howard's world, gets my attention in ways that none of the others do.

It's not that I like Howard who was a degerate racist and had an suspect relationship with his mother and then went on to top himself.

I do like the the Hyborian setting. 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Pve servers,,,great news! I am in.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I'm a really big fan of the sword & sorcery genre, and I enjoy survival games, now please BE GOOD.
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

It's not that I like Howard who was a degerate racist and had an suspect relationship with his mother and then went on to top himself.

Well....yeah? I didn't say I love Howard, but I do like his universe, hence "Howard's world".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    PVP servers.. I'm in !!
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    SBFord said:
    It's oxygen from the usual PvP Setting, you against other plebs, instead of plebs vs plebby world

So it's to expect the PvE will have a game-loop of its own, especially one endgame. Even if grind it's something still. :pleased:
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Asm0deus said:
    Pve servers,,,great news! I am in.
    Bellomo said:
    PVP servers.. I'm in !!
    Ok, just to complete and finish the sequence:
    Solo mode on local, great news! I'm in!
    (I mean, will be in, right after they announce the non-steamy version)
    :lol:
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited November 2016
    I would agree with you seeing as how all the current survival games out but ALL of them are *still* in Alpha or early access... so...I'd say if they nail things with Conan, it could potentially grab a ton of players from other survival games.  Having a mix of PvP and PvE, that might just shine a lot for people.  I know me and my friends are excited as all hell for it but for me personally, as excited as I am, I am holding judgment on it until I get hands on with it to see how "early access" it is.  1 thing that comes to mind is that since you'll need to subdue and capture slaves to do work in your city, I see those area where you get those slaves as being a huge PvP'fest which will be fun.  The world alone being populated already beats most survival games because most of them aren't all that populated(other than ARK with Dinos) or serve a purpose.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    i think as time goes on the term mmo is going to broaden it already has, cause technically there is no set number for the word massive, this term can differ from opinion to opinion. 
    I for one cant wait for this tittle!!
    I never thought it was an MMO. Who thought that?
    Apparently the devs thought a lot of people did since they took the time to specifically mention it in their blog post. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

Oh geez I guess calling others a "racist" no longer only an ignorant liberal political thing they say when they have no argument...too bad it needs to be brought into video games. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They had me at Conan.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    SBFord said:
    Apparently the devs thought a lot of people did since they took the time to specifically mention it in their blog post. :P
    They had and I remember because I read that interview where they hinted some stuff at the servers being connected and all, what usually leads the MMO vibe; like Ark and its MMO tag.

Furh79 said:

SBFord said:

Sovrath said:

Oh geez I guess calling others a "racist" no longer only an ignorant liberal political thing they say when they have no argument...too bad it needs to be brought into video games. 

Fact is he was a degenerate racist, if you have read any of his books or even done your research you would know this. Now that doesn't mean that his works were not interesting or the world of hyboria is not worth making a game of.

I don't need to have a agruement the fact is he was a rabid racist and also had what some would say an unhealthy relationship with his mother.

Then the degenerate went on to kill himself at the age of 30.

There you go, great ain't it.

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Furh79 said:

SBFord said:

Sovrath said:

Fact is he was a degenerate racist, if you have read any of his books or even done your research you would know this. Now that doesn't mean that his works were not interesting or the world of hyboria is not worth making a game of.

I don't need to have a agruement the fact is he was a rabid racist and also had what some would say an unhealthy relationship with his mother.

Then the degenerate went on to kill himself at the age of 30.

There you go, great ain't it.
    That wasn't my point your reading comprehension is lacking today pal.  We get to hear every lefty here in the US call everyone that disagrees with them a "racist" it doesn't matter if you think Howard was a racist or not there is no need to bring that up when talking about a video game made by funcom...oh they must be racist too since they make video games based on Howard's lore right???