Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite Pre-WoW MMO?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited November 2016 in Polls
Let's go back in time a bit with this latest poll. What's your favorite MMO from before the WoW era? Vote and tell us why!

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    voted UO , and Mike , imo games like Shadowbane and CoH that are shutdown partiularly Shadowbane , which only lasted just over 2 years get on a list and UO up and running for 20 doesnt... Seems odd
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Ultima Online

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited November 2016
    This was an extremely tough choice between Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes. SWG was my first MMO and Star Wars is basically my life. I've made lifelong friends through that game and have tons of fond memories, but the same can also be said about City of Heroes.

Being torn between the two, CoH ultimately won out because I played it for longer. I played SWG from launch to the NGE and here and there after that, but CoH lasted much longer for me. The scope of meaningful updates added to the game over time kept what was an already unique game fresh for years and years.

I'll always miss knocking mooks down city blocks, smashing things in Mayhem Missions, and the hail of bullets my personal army of mercenaries would rain down on my enemies.
    Blaze_RockerGladDog
    Aori said:
    Lineage, no idea why you guys have no desire to recognize these games.
    I could only fit 10 choices into the list, so "Other" will unfortunately have to be a catch all for the ones we had to leave out.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Voted DAoC, although AC1 and AC2 are pretty high on my list as well. CoH was really good, but it didn't hold my attention very long. DAoC had the best PvP set up for any mmo, imo.

AC1 introduced me to mmos so it will always have a place in my heart.

AC2 was really the pre-cursor to the more modern mmo. It had a lot of good things going for it, but it was released way too soon. If they had been given the time and released it with the Hero Patch changes, I feel the game would've survived and thrived.
  • crazddogcrazddog Member CommonPosts: 1
    Asheron's Call from 1999-2004/5     back in 2010-12     Havent logged in in 4 years i guess. 
    Scorchien said:
    voted UO , and Mike , imo games like Shadowbane and CoH that are shutdown partiularly Shadowbane , which only lasted just over 2 years get on a list and UO up and running for 20 doesnt... Seems odd
    Sorry! This was actually on the original list, but I navigated away by accident and forgot to add it when I set the poll up again. I'll ask Vanilla if we can get the ability to have more than 10 choices in polls.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Lineage 2
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    MikeB said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sorry! This was actually on the original list, but I navigated away by accident and forgot to add it when I set the poll up again. I'll ask Vanilla if we can get the ability to have more than 10 choices in polls.
    yea seems 10 always is a couple short , an even dozen would be great for alot of these polls..
  • RaZKaLzRaZKaLz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Lineage 2 for me, best time i ever had in a game.
    edited November 2016
    Dark Age of Camelot.  World of Warcraft made it obsolete in everything except the Realm versus Realm combat but, before WoW, DAoC was the only MMORPG I played that I didn't lose interest in after a day or two.
    loved DAoC . but will say that DAoC has now and had then more interesting classes and choices than Wow easily imo
    MrMelGibsonjefftp
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Well it was a tough choice... I played Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Knight Online and Star Wars Galaxies back then. But Dark Age of Camelot takes the lead I guess. Because I continue to play this game on and off until Warhammer Online release.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    For me Anarchy Online is like my first love of MMOs even though I was in EQ1 before it.  AO really was the first one I loved playing.

SWG was probably the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

But I voted for DaoC because I spent more time in it than probably any other MMO ever.  Mid!!!! 

I didn't join CoH until much later.  But had I joined it first I think CoH would have blown away the rest and been my main MMO.  Wish it was still around, like so many others do too.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2016
    FFXI was the king, sorry
    Temp0
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited November 2016
    SWG without a doubt that was my first MMO too and it was well advanced over other MMOs at the time and still did well after WoW came out until NGE hit thats when SWG died.

But I'm suprised that UO isn't listed in the poll.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Surprise:  City of Heroes!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2

Still waiting on a mmo to immerse me like Lineage 2 did. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Best
    !. Everquest
    2. Anarchy Online
    3. DAoC

Worst
    1. FFXI
    2. Lineage
    3. UO pre Trammell
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Star Wars Galaxies still is my best MMO
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited November 2016
    I feel like there is a reason EVE is the only game on this list that still is going strong in 2016. I never got to play DOAC or Shadowbane and I wish it had, but I do really wonder why they got shut down so long ago if they were as good as people say. 

SWG I kind of get. It didn't die, it was murdered.
  • PappabeardkPappabeardk Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Asheron's Call by a mile
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Eldurian said:
    I feel like there is a reason EVE is the only game on this list that still is going strong in 2016. I never got to play DOAC or Shadowbane and I wish it had, but I do really wonder why they got shut down so long ago if they were as good as people say. 

SWG I kind of get. It didn't die, it was murdered.
    Yea and that reason is EVE sticks to their formula and sticks to being themselves instead of trying to be another game. *looks at SWG*
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file