Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Before the Patch - Breaking the Ice - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - Before the Patch - Breaking the Ice - MMORPG.com

As we head in to another exciting chapter of the Living World Season 3, it’s time to look at what we can expect from November 21st update, A Crack in the Ice. As most Guild Wars 2 players are already aware, this release will come with the next instalment of Tyria’s war against the Elder Dragons, and is expected to take us deep in to the frozen northlands where the icy breath of Jormag awaits us.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited November 2016
    thank you, but no thank you.
    Post edited by exile01 on
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    At least they are trying, more than I can say for most companies.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited November 2016
    Is that fishbowl shield one of the legendary items mentioned in another thread (1000 hours to make a legendary) ? Who is in charge of art direction for this game, an 11-year old girl? Those legendaries are super hard to get are they not? wtf is wrong with people
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Archlyte said:

Is that fishbowl shield one of the legendary items mentioned in another thread (1000 hours to make a legendary) ? Who is in charge of art direction for this game, an 11-year old girl? Those legendaries are super hard to get are they not? wtf is wrong with people

Yeah, not the coolest shield I've seen.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

More than likely NOT a legendary but something from the new zone you can get.

Archlyte said:

Well, legendaries have to be made from items fm various stories in the game and has different levels for crafting - they take A long time to build. It takes time, perserverence, and lots of farming for a legendary and they have to fit in the storyline as well as other things.

if you think all they do is line draw it and drop it in, you totally clueless. This is why games cost so much to make.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    edited November 2016
    The fun of GW2 is that it takes the story seriously, but the art direction and skins not-so-much. There are wonderful armor sets and costumes that are uniquely playful in this online VIDEO GAME that doesn't strive for 24/7 seriousness. Even in the story there are going to be quips here and there to point to the fact that this is just a game for the enjoyment and fun (i.e. the giant banana monkey in the defective holographic training simulator during the last story chapter).

As for the Legendary weapons taking a while....yep, but worth it to some.  They don't have to have a wide appeal across the entire game's population (and judging by the comments here, the non-playing peanut gallery).  That is why they're trying to make each weapon type have more than one Legendary so that players can choose from a selection of them instead of just a singular one.  It also adds variety in the player base running around with said Legendary weapons so as to not all looking the same.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It's kinda more of the same, but the Living Story gives a sense of things changing over time what helps to give oxygen to PvE side of farming for stuff at the end-game.

As the pre-sequel for an expansion of course.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    botrytis said:
    More than likely NOT a legendary but something from the new zone you can get.
    Pretty sure it's a legendary. We've seen a pretty wide range of movement from the quaggan inside.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    That dude was on a ton of acid when he came up with that.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Theres already a "serious" looking legendary shield called "The Flameseeker Prophecies." It took me a month to craft it. Same with crafting "Bolt," and "Astralaria." I've crafted the pre of "The Juggernaut" and "Kamohoali'i Kotaki." I am currently very close to finishing "Nevermore." All of which are serious looking weapons.

So I don't see the problem with adding a funny looking legendary as a second choice to its other serious looking weapon. If anything, this new legendary is gonna be the only legendary with the most unique animation in the game. The Quaggan living inside it.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    APThug said:

So I don't see the problem with adding a funny looking legendary as a second choice to its other serious looking weapon. If anything, this new legendary is gonna be the only legendary with the most unique animation in the game. The Quaggan living inside it.
    This is true. Plus the Quaggan are a well-loved race in GW2. On par with say, Murlocs of WoW.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• arbi15arbi15 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    they should stop making new legendaries out of weapon types bearely anyone uses or are used the least. a shortbow,2 classes can use it, 1 mainly use it for faster movement, the other one only as dmg over time, which isnt that common.
    mace, bearly used by anone.
    shield, same.
    Longbow should be the first new legendary, the existing one is not appealing for the most players.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    lame shield lol , and legendary noneless , who will farm hours to no end to look stupid :/

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543

arbi15 said:

they should stop making new legendaries out of weapon types bearely anyone uses or are used the least. a shortbow,2 classes can use it, 1 mainly use it for faster movement, the other one only as dmg over time, which isnt that common.

shield, same.

Longbow should be the first new legendary, the existing one is not appealing for the most players.

Condi ranger shortbow is one of the highest condi damage rotations in the game. (It was buffed) And yes, thief uses shortbow all the time. As for the shield, mesmers, warriors, rev, and sometimes guardians use it all the time. Shield mesmer is a must have, pvp warrior with mace and shield is meta for spvp and wvw. Shield Guardian is meta in wvw frontlining (This was slightly buffed to make the user survive longer)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

botrytis said:

Archlyte said:

Well, legendaries have to be made from items fm various stories in the game and has different levels for crafting - they take A long time to build. It takes time, perserverence, and lots of farming for a legendary and they have to fit in the storyline as well as other things.

if you think all they do is line draw it and drop it in, you totally clueless. This is why games cost so much to make.

Or, if you're making good gold, you can buy a legendary from the auction house.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Living story I try and if I like it I do it none stop on every alt. If I don't like it I try it once and never touch it after the first story.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mezhumezhu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited November 2016
    Not sure if advertisement or article. Not convincing, whichever the case.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2016
    Living story I try and if I like it I do it none stop on every alt. If I don't like it I try it once and never touch it after the first story.
    If ya want the stuff for It we really need to repeat it, constantly. haha

I did stop playing it though but I unlock the EP; I can't motivate myself to play any MMO available today. #GameDepression
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I picked up HoT on the sale finally.  I am enjoying it.  I think as long as you dont go into it thinking it is a game to stay and play all the time, it's good for the time you spend in it.

I still hope for the day they will give more freedom and viability in weapons, skills, and builds across all classes.  They just change things too slow.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    arbi15 said:
    shield, same.
    Or they could do the opposite and give these weapons to more classes with elite specializations. Just food for thought, you know.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Archlyte said:

Yeah, not the coolest shield I've seen.

Nice pic Bill! lol
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • stuart45stuart45 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    edited November 2016
    I recently gave GW2 a try and was surprised how much i liked it, for all the critics id say give it i try before you judge it..you may be like me and love it or not..ppl either love it or hate it..the ones that love it are loyal tho :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2016
    That could have been a nice housing ornament, or even a backpack skin. I'm not sure i want to face Jormag with that shield.

EDIT: just to clarify people complaining about art direction, the art direction in GW2 is some of the best in mmos. The decision of making this design into a weapon is what's f**ed up. Maybe i need to learn what art direction is.

• HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    The legendary back piece is part of the "silly art" collection.

They have more than 1-2 serious legendaries for each weapon already so they're going to make some silly ones, one for each possible weapon, and they already have a ton out.