Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think i don't enjoy gaming anymore.

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    It is more that games are made to make a maximum of money these days. 

It the old days it was make a good game, and a good game will get us money.

FTP models showed everyone that getting a maximum amount of money does not mean giving the best gameplay. 
  • TzavokTzavok Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Gorwe said:
    Tzavok said:
    waynejr2 said:
    In a book I was looked at there was a bit about having a more full life.  If you have one thing in your life and you lose it, you will be depressed and go through what you are going through. Plus there is a good chance you will be obsessed with that one thing. 

Now imagine if you had twenty things in your life and you lose one of them.  Sure you would be sad about that one thing but you have so much more going on.  I recommend not putting gaming as the only thing in your basket of life.  Take a long bread from gaming.

That's why i said Gaming depression, because i don't have real depression haha, it was just a way to say it, i have a daughter, my girlfriend, a job, social life, which make me really happy, this is more about my hobby not being interesting anymore, i am (was?) really passionate about gaming, it was that thing i was really good at and i enjoyed a lot, but now i can't seem to enjoy it anymore and i don't know why.
    You've a kid with 23 years? Excuse me, but what's the rush?
    I always wanted to have a kid, met the right person, why not? my life is pretty successful anyways, not like it's such a difficult thing to do.

• MorningLightComethMorningLightCometh Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Tzavok said:
    I'm in a really depressing gaming period of my life (GAMING, not real life depression), i've tried way too many games, PC, Consoles and Android, in the last 2 years i've tried over 2 or 3k games, at most i've "enjoyed" 3 or 4, for a couple of hours.

I don't know what to think, shit just isn't fun anymore, i can't remember the amount of times i have installed a game, launch it, get asked to do the same shit i've done a million times and just uninstall it right away, even worse when i'm fucking handheld for an hour into the game, just so i don't get lost in the fucking tutorial.

All games seem the same to me now and the story most of the times sucks, games now worry more about graphics instead of gameplay and lore.

I don't think i don't like games tho, i mean, i have played games since i was 5, i'm 23 now and i still think about games in a daily basis, i do play League of Legends with friends, which isn't a game i love but it's fun enough when i play it with friends, i wouldn't play it alone tho.

Is it my fault? is it the business' fault? have i played for far too long that nothing is interesting anymore?

I've been thinking that maybe, when new tech is developed, some VR or AR game may make me feel that same thing that i felt when i was a little kid, in a lil stool, because i was too short for the controls in these big Arcade Machines.

Your thoughts? do you feel the same or similar?
    Try to do something else for a while. Go cold turkey and come back in 6 months. Travel, read, spend time with people you love. Come back to gaming next year and see how you feel about it then.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tzavok said:
    I'm in a really depressing gaming period of my life (GAMING, not real life depression), i've tried way too many games, PC, Consoles and Android, in the last 2 years i've tried over 2 or 3k games, at most i've "enjoyed" 3 or 4, for a couple of hours.

Holy crap... you've tried 2-3K games in 2 years? Even though I know that has to be an exaggeration, it sure sounds like you need to be more selective especially since, unless you're really wealthy, more than likely most of those "2-3K" were F2P that are just after you to open your wallet.

If you play too many they're bound to all blend into a sameness stew. Read up on just one you're considering and when you play it enjoy what's new and different about it - don't dwell on how they're similar to others: if you look for it, you'll always see similarities.

Sounds like you've burnt yourself out.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Tzavok said:
    Loke666 said:
    Sounds like you need a break. Try some other type of gaming, like pen and paper roleplaying, boardgames, miniature games, paintball, airsoft or something. 
    Now that you mention Airsoft, i was invited to an Airsoft Event last year and i had a blast, i was able to participate in a 5v5 match and it was amazing!

Thanks for reminding me of that, i may start saving for some gear for it.
    The larger games are even better, it is amazing to have a few hundred people in a large wood with specific mission. I used to be team leader of a gang, we had 1967 green berets as theme and RPed it (the gear, the lingo, the tactics). 

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

A great hobby, no FPS game give that kind of kick. :D
  • TzavokTzavok Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Loke666 said:
    Tzavok said:
    Loke666 said:
    Sounds like you need a break. Try some other type of gaming, like pen and paper roleplaying, boardgames, miniature games, paintball, airsoft or something. 
    Now that you mention Airsoft, i was invited to an Airsoft Event last year and i had a blast, i was able to participate in a 5v5 match and it was amazing!

Thanks for reminding me of that, i may start saving for some gear for it.
    The larger games are even better, it is amazing to have a few hundred people in a large wood with specific mission. I used to be team leader of a gang, we had 1967 green berets as theme and RPed it (the gear, the lingo, the tactics). 

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

A great hobby, no FPS game give that kind of kick. :D

That sounds pretty cool, i'm really considering it now, i was actually looking for some Airsoft groups now, there's a few around my area, hopefully in a month or so i may be playing Airsoft.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    There are games of all kinds of genres, styles, pay methods, platforms, and anything else.  If you don't like to play anymore, nobody on this forum is gonna be able to convince you otherwise.  That is a totally personal thing and something you'll have to work out internally.

I self identify as a monkey.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I find myself losing interest in online games and turning towards single player games more in recent years and that's pretty much down to the general toxicity of game communities, if you can call it a community any more.

I know some will come out with the obligatory rose tinted goggle comments but games like EQ, DAoC and SWG had better communities than any of todays games. Yes, there was the occasional dick but they were the exception rather than the rule. Your reputation on your server followed you and bad behaviour had consequences.

With the cross server dungeon finder in Lich King that all changed. Ninja looting, constant snide comments and insults became the new standard. I was never happy with PUG's before this happened and now it's enough to make me want to avoid them completely.

Even before this we had general chat channels full of idiots, like "Barrens chat". I doubt that the percentage of good to bad players has changed much over the years but there's just so many of them now that the chances of running into bad ones seems to have gone up. It's a sad side effect of the increased popularity of online games that we're all exposed to more of the "bad" (behaviour, not skill) players than we used to be.

Of course you can always turn off all the chat channels and never group with anyone but that seems to be missing the whole point of MMO's in my eyes.

I've met some absolutely awesome people over the years in online games and MMO's and it's a shame that a few bad apples, this toxic minority, have just sucked all the fun out of online games.

On the bright side: ME Andromeda :)
  • freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    You could still enjoy watching games without actually playing, which is one of the reasons the streaming community is huge, that and the personalities. One could figure out many tips and tricks in games, though a simple web search could be similiar, but seeing it happen is different. Since you mentioned that you enjoyed shows just check out streams once in a while. Maybe podcasts are your thing just tune in while, you do other stuff.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Tzavok said:

I don't know what to think, shit just isn't fun anymore, i can't remember the amount of times i have installed a game, launch it, get asked to do the same shit i've done a million times and just uninstall it right away, even worse when i'm fucking handheld for an hour into the game, just so i don't get lost in the fucking tutorial.

All games seem the same to me now and the story most of the times sucks, games now worry more about graphics instead of gameplay and lore.

I don't think i don't like games tho, i mean, i have played games since i was 5, i'm 23 now and i still think about games in a daily basis, i do play League of Legends with friends, which isn't a game i love but it's fun enough when i play it with friends, i wouldn't play it alone tho.

Is it my fault? is it the business' fault? have i played for far too long that nothing is interesting anymore?

I've been thinking that maybe, when new tech is developed, some VR or AR game may make me feel that same thing that i felt when i was a little kid, in a lil stool, because i was too short for the controls in these big Arcade Machines.

Your thoughts? do you feel the same or similar?
    From personal experience, VR has the potential to breathe fresh life into gaming; I believe we are on the cusp of a major revolution in the way interactive media is developed and consumed. It won't happen overnight, though.

Logging in to a game I've played for over a decade in VR made it feel like a brand new game. 

I recommend taking a break from gaming, then maybe trying a budget VR set to see if you like it. If Android is your thing, Gear VR has my hearty endorsement.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gaming has definitely got a lot worse.

I see only two things right now,games asking for money or crappy games paying money to get biased advertising.
    Neither scenario is good for gaming or for us the gamer's.
    Look over at the hyped list,most or all those games are funded by gamer's,so the developers are NOT risking themselves,their own money and they obviously have no money of their own to afford the games,so you are guaranteed to get second rate gaming.
    Well good thing we have movies and sports and a plethora of other activities that gaming is not needed in our lives.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Some years ago i also noticed that i got tired of gaming altogether and no game really excited me for a longer period of time anymore.
    I looked for other things that would immerse and and drag me in and found.... books! Finding me some good books and audiobooks to listen to, i (re-)learned to follow a story again, to care for characters and how to immerse myself into a fantasy setting and let my mind go on it.

I took a different approach on games after that and went back to the point where i once started. Instead of hopping through games and quick check what they offer to me, i rather looked what i can make of them on my terms and with my own imagination. Just like when i started my first character in some game aeons ago to make it my own story instead of looking to get a blueprint handed by the game.

I now sort of play games like i read a book...as far as that makes sense. Both provide me a setting, some protagonists and some rules and from there i go on with my own imagination. Away with spreadsheets, theorycrafting, studying class forums etc... back to what gaming was about when i started. My whole gaming experience got more depth and while i previously literally wasted time on games and got angry about them, my time spent on games got back it's value and quality of experience.
    All along this i also discovered some great games that otherwise i wouldn't have taken into consideration at all.

But just like not every fantasy literature works for everyone, you have to find a game that works for you in that way. Good luck with that!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Iselin said:
    Tzavok said:

Holy crap... you've tried 2-3K games in 2 years? Even though I know that has to be an exaggeration, it sure sounds like you need to be more selective especially since, unless you're really wealthy, more than likely most of those "2-3K" were F2P that are just after you to open your wallet.

If you play too many they're bound to all blend into a sameness stew. Read up on just one you're considering and when you play it enjoy what's new and different about it - don't dwell on how they're similar to others: if you look for it, you'll always see similarities.

Sounds like you've burnt yourself out.
    Just wanted to add, in case my previous comment seemed insensitive to OP's wellbeing, that on second thought something is indeed very wrong with this number. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Looks like you may be chasing the dragon if you've tried 2-3k games trying to find that new feeling and they only kept your attention for 3-4 hours.

It is easy for nostalgia to sometimes take over and as crazy as it sounds sometimes I get a really strong urge to play either Superman or Bad Dudes the arcade games and sometimes even Terminator 2(the gun one).

For me what helped to satisfy the urge was not trying to find the same experience but figure what features/details in games I really enjoy. These features may not all be in a single game so I have to play a few to fully feel it lol.

I also try to find the features I enjoy in games that haven't been released yet to have something to look forward to because with any hobby looking forward to stuff is a good thing and with that this site helps a lot.

Ok so here is my list of game features I enjoy and games I play to satisfy what at times seems like an unquenchable hunger. Some of these may seem ludicris but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Classic sandbox PVE feel - Stash, WoW(past expacs and current only for crafting purposes and earning the monthly sub(25k)+ some dungeon farming for pets to sell), Trove(Only weekly contests, daily log in and ultra mode runs on either Monday/Sunday for Emp Gem Boxes). Leave room to try new games - currently trying Hero's Song.

Balanced PVP - Heroes of the Storm(When events are going and if I get the urge to play a certain hero like Thrall or Stitches), Overwatch(Quick play when I get the urge to play certain character, mostly Torb), Atlas Reactor(to complete Seasons only for the rewards and maybe stick around for a couple extra games). Leave room to try out new games - currently trying Eternal Crusade and Battlerite.

This works for me but may not work well for you - I hope you find what does.
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    People get burnt out of games it happens, but there are indie games out there that you can try. 
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    So ... 2500 games +/-   thats 7 games a day for 2 years you tried , and you want us to help you ...........we cant
    Gorwe said:
    That thing looks like my Trooper's Rifle in SWTOR! :o . The bloody hell?
    Star wars would never plagiarize real historical weapon ;) (Han Solo is using a Mauser pistol).

Anyways, it is a M14A1, the rarely used support version of the Springfield M14. Real Walnut stock (from CAW), Tokio Marui AEG inside and a custom flash supressor I modified myself. Got a original Bipod too that I bought from Cranky farmer.com (really, yeah, they are from Texas).

I have a few other guns as well (A Systema PTW, a home built XM116E1 with Systema parts, a M79 thumper with sawed off stock and some other goodies) but this is my favorite, you can't tell that it isn't the real thing without pulling out the magazine.

Just because Airsoft doesn't use real guns doesn't mean I want to have something orange that looks like a paintball gun.
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Personally, I've gone through ups and downs with gaming. There are periods (months even years) where I'm playing and enjoying games and other times nothing is appealing. So I don't think you are alone in these experiences. Just as others have already suggested, I bet it might be time for you to try some new things, and possibly find some new hobbies. Maybe you will come back to gaming after a time and things will be more satisfying, or perhaps you find something else that is even better. 
  • matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Try brazilian jiu jitsu.  It's like a game, with the added benefit of getting in good shape.  You find techniques that really click with you that chain into other techniques kinda like making a build on a skill tree.  Get that optimum rotation going.  There are always more details to learn and ways to become better at it.  And you are always trying to figure out how to handle different situations.  This guy has 100 lbs on you?  Time to use speed and movement and play a floating top game or look for leglocks.  Super fast guy that moves around like a wild spider monkey?  Smash style time, don't let him move unless it's forcing a mistake to capitalize on.  Really though, it's very fun and interesting.
    Have you tried gaming + beer?  That's a shortcut to satisfaction!  ;)
    While that can be amusing it wouldn't be something I replace ordinary gaming with. Besides for it to be fun you need a few more persons to lan with, being drunk and game alone is just sad.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I feel you.

It's getting harder and harder to care about MMO's when developers keep gift wrapping their turds, trying to sell them as gold.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I feel you.

It's getting harder and harder to care about MMO's when developers keep gift wrapping their turds, trying to sell them as gold.
    Naw it's a turd, they just sell you the bedazzling trinkets to make it a sparkly turd in their cash shops.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Honestly I would take a break from games. Start reading more, take up comic books, watch more tv, ect. Moderate games a bit and strike a better life - gaming balance. I have found that in times where I can't find any games fun it is more of my mind set then the games themselves. One other thing I find that helps me is if I can find one game I can latch onto for a long time it helps me a ton in exploring other games a bit. It can help if it is an older game you enjoyed as well. 

I think games have changed significantly over the years and there are so many different kinds of games available to play that it can be overwhelming to find ones you enjoy. 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    "Good" mmos are becoming very scarce nowadays.

Good is subjective obviously, but it's been a while since I played an mmo myself. Last mmo I played was BDO and while the game is good, it's not my type of game for the long term (Pve guy here).

I'm honestly surprised that besides FFXIV, archeage was the last mmo I stayed for over 6 months playing before stopping. My suggestion is to stop mmos all together and play some single player games. Keep in touch with mmo sites like this to see what's coming and if any interest you, give it a try.

Don't limit yourself to only mmos.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited November 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    "Good" mmos are becoming very scarce nowadays.

Good is subjective obviously, but it's been a while since I played an mmo myself. Last mmo I played was BDO and while the game is good, it's not my type of game for the long term (Pve guy here).

I'm honestly surprised that besides FFXIV, archeage was the last mmo I stayed for over 6 months playing before stopping. My suggestion is to stop mmos all together and play some single player games. Keep in touch with mmo sites like this to see what's coming and if any interest you, give it a try.

Don't limit yourself to only mmos.
    I played some BDO, got boring sadly. I tried Riders of Icarus; all the raving up to the point of launch, I knew better but gave it a go.....logged in played a few hours in Beta and a bit after launch..."it's gonna get better, it's gonna get better" then look around and like no one is talking about it and no one here playing it...at that point all I could hear is  "♫ wha wha wha ♪"

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter