Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about returning ....

PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
edited November 2016 in Rift
I'm looking for a new game and I'm considering Rift. I used to play it years ago and I really liked the warfronts. So I'm hoping it's somewhat similar now.

Can someone explain to me how acquiring pvp gear works now?

Are there gear vendors still? Is the gear just purchased through points earned in warfronts? .. Or is the cash shop somehow intertwined with that where you would also have to purchase something with real money to access the gear? .. like lockboxes or anything?

Are there different ranks of pvp gear that you have to grind through where each rank requires the previous rank in order to purchase it?

Post edited by Phoebes on

Comments

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    And a question about the new expansion ..

I remember a while back I tried the game and was going to buy their expansion, but Trion wouldn't accept just a straight credit card payment. I had to buy their game currency and then purchase the expansion with that.

The problem was, I could only buy game currency in certain blocks and those block amounts were more than what the expansion was selling for. So it really required me to spend more on the expansion that what they had listed. So I just didn't get it.

Does it still work this way? Or can I buy the expansion at their listed price with just a straight credit payment?

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Rift and Trion was a top class combination when I last played.  But that was right around the time that Myrymdon gear launched.  If what you are describing is true then their greed has seeped into this game and that is quite a shame.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    I used to love the game, especially their soul system ... and their warfronts were a lot of fun.

But when I was reading about how the warfronts and pvp system works, I saw some mention of winning a locked box at the end, but I didn't know if those were the ones that required you to purchase keys from the cash shop to open.

It was just a very vague post that I saw and I can't seem to find any real solid info on it. But if that's the case, then there's no way I could play that. I'm not a big fan of cash shops.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I play whenever they have something special going on but lately stuff is really expensive.  You can get a good deal from time to time as they do have some good sales when you can catch them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Phoebes said:
    I'm looking for a new game and I'm considering Rift. I used to play it years ago and I really liked the warfronts. So I'm hoping it's somewhat similar now.

Are there gear vendors still? Is the gear just purchased through points earned in warfronts? .. Or is the cash shop somehow intertwined with that where you would also have to purchase something with real money to access the gear? .. like lockboxes or anything?

Are there different ranks of pvp gear that you have to grind through where each rank requires the previous rank in order to purchase it?

So go try it. It's f2p. You don't need to ask these questions when you can go try it out yourself. 
    Moirae said:
    Phoebes said:

So go try it. It's f2p. You don't need to ask these questions when you can go try it out yourself. 

For many questions that may be true, but I would need to level to max to actually really get in a warfront. From what I hear the queue times can be hours for lower levels. So I figured it would be faster to ask.

Besides I would rather not install all of there software and spend the time downloading something that I may not want to play.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited November 2016
    The feature list is huge on this expansion; multicore support FINALLY, LFR, Sieges, A nod to vanilla Rift which was mostly focused around life and fire elements, Increased difficulty for instant adventures, A free boost to 70 so you can pass the dreaded NT expansion content, which IMO was some of the worst questing ever. IDK may have to check this one out.
    Post edited by JDis25 on
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    You get a boost to 65 not 70 but with IAs it isnt hard leveling anyways.

There are a lot of players back right now. Just a question of how long they last. Its very quick burning through content right now and leveling up. I suppose if you want to gear grind and get ready for raids once they put them in it will give you a few hours.

But as usual there is the rep grind and new sink with planar charges. And of course minions, dimensions and farming (while prices are high) to sink some time into the game.

I am glad they brought back the defending spots from invasions. Those are always fun. One major issue is open world invasions and world events. Invasions cant be soloed (at least not on level) and we had a boss today with over a billion and a half hit points something like 1550 million I think we had 10 people on it since it was right before the servers going down. Obviously we didnt kill it. While those can be OK when you have 3 or 4 raids once the populations goes back to normal they wont be so fun and theyre not scaling like they used to so its unlikely they get too small I think the smallest one I have seen was 300 million hitpoints.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Phoebes said:

I think it is necessary to buy the add-on pack or you will be distanced from most of the new content, and you will not be competetive in terms of gear. Either buy it or avoid the game.

Archeage tho starts with fresh servers soon, try that out.
    I saw they had an essentials pack..That was $50 to catch up to where people are now. Doesn't seem too bad, but then they said it was only for new accounts.  I used to play years ago, so that doesn't apply to me.

I guess I would have to buy the previous packs: storm legion and nightmare tide which comes to about $90. Then there is the ascended soul dlc for $35. That's $125 just to catch up. Then of course the new starfall prophecy for $40.

I suppose I could go without the ascended soul one, but that's still kinda high. Plus the subscription .. I would definitely sub if I play.

All of those are static prices though .. I would know what I am getting for what I am paying. I just wasn't sure what I would need to purchase along the way .. like would I need keys to open boxes for pvp gear ... or is it all purchaseable with in game gold? I don't care about transmog type of stuff or fancy mounts.