Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was this game a bigger con than No Man's Sky?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
They knew the engine they used wasn't viable. They worked on it a lot, before putting the game for sale. They sold a game, knowing full well the massive limitations of the engine.

Instead, they charged quite a hefty price for people to buy/fund/early access the game. Yet, in as little as 3 months (not sure exact time frame, but the game wasn't up for long at all)...they canned the game for a crappy survival game.

The game was up so little before being cancelled, the devs knew full well the game couldn't last and wanted a quick buck. Sure I can see if problems arise a year after selling the game, and they tried doing their best to get around it. But it was literally not much time at all before the game stopped being worked on.

I kickstarted starforge, and that was a huge con as well. This game is pretty much exactly similar, but at least the devs of starforge made it SORTA playable. You can still play it too. Repopulation? What a waste of money, can't even play it...making it worse than even starforge ever could be.

If these devs ever make another game, just remember they conned everyone with Repopulation

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I know I regret putting money into this game. I was expecting a SWG clone, instead I get ARK survival. Boring..
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I only paid $19.99 on Steam but there were a few people on here that paid in the hundreds I think I remember seeing.

I consider Eternal Crusade to be pretty bad with their bait/switch as well as Infinite Crisis because Turbine didn't give refunds to beta players and the game shut down 3 months after release. I had a friend who dropped money on that game right before the launch to prepare by learning the characters and was told he didn't qualify for a refund because he made his purchase during beta. Dawngate at least was decent enough to give refunds for all beta purchases which says a lot seeing as that was Electronic Arts.

This kinda makes you wonder if other games will do something like this in the future.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Greedmonger. :(

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• JackRubyJackRuby Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I thought this game got set back due to the engine's creator's shutting down and the dev team had to start over with a new engine.  So the best they can do at the moment is put out a bare bones game until they catch back up with the new engine...I liked what they had before they were forced to start over with Fragmented.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Have I missed something and the survival game is all they are delivering now? I thought the survival game was just something they put together while they finish moving the full game to the new engine? I can't find any news on that.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I would say no.  While they definitely delayed it, they are truly upgrading things.  Time will tell, but I think they're legit.... I hope!

I self identify as a monkey.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 271
    supposedly they are going to release info on repop soon, and they have been working on it.  It's being built off all existing fragmented mechanics so the progress you see there is progress you are seeing on repop.  Before it got shut down by Hero engine, the devs were very open and communicative on the forums and were patching constatntly.  
  • snowman22snowman22 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Um , hey OP the game was stopped due to the fact the engine it was made on went bankrupt. cant finish a game on an engine that has no support. it was even hosted on the engine designers servers, per contract. so not like any of the other constarters.. this was just bad planning on engine used. however all those who backed still will get access when or if the new game is fully built.
  • Marvinus8Marvinus8 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Heroengine is still in Business. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Marvinus8 said:
    Heroengine is still in Business. 

Its like my fried eggs, sunny side down and burned, thats why my wife doesn't let me cook :dizzy:
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I was first interested this when the initial news of it hit, then at one point something told me it was going to flop so I bailed on the idea. Mostly because it was taking so long and they didn't really seem confident. I was right about that aspect, though I never predicted it would be due to a terrible game engine.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    People....STOP giving your money away on KS, that is ALL your doing!
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    I've said it many times and i'll say it once more. Never pledge to pipe-dreams, only spend your money on released products that have been reviewed and deemed worthy of spending on.

Or cry later when your money was stolen / miss-used / not worth the end product. :)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2016
    bentrim said:
    I read this and I just am thinking how I 

1. literally threw STALKER into the trash
    2. Gave away Sims 3 even though I am a huge sims 2 fan
    3. Literally threw away GTA 4 in the trash
    4. Played GTA 5 for about 3 hours total

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    SEANMCAD said:
    bentrim said:

Exactly. How about people do what they want with their money.
    I consider supporting some potential project on Kickstarter a better use of money than paying companies like EA or Blizzard anything.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    bentrim said:

So you are saying you have a pattern of buying games you don't like? ;)

I didn't buy any of those, though I did donate to two KSer so far, CU and AO.

No regrets.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    edited November 2016
    When I played Repop, there were a few people playing.

It was in Alpha iirc then it got shut down because the HeroEngine  VOZ servers shut down.  After that, I think the devs believed it was cheaper and beetter to remake in UE4 and theyre doing that now.  For now, all the people who bought Repopulation gets their survival game, Fragmented, for free.  They are currently using fragmented to get more UE4 experience while moving Repop to a new engine. 

The devs of Repop was blindsided by this because they even released a patch 2 days before the shutdown.

Personally, it felt too alpha for my liking.

Edit: I didn't kickstart it.  I just bought it on steam when I couldn't think of anything to play

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    snowman22 said:
    Um , hey OP the game was stopped due to the fact the engine it was made on went bankrupt. cant finish a game on an engine that has no support. it was even hosted on the engine designers servers, per contract. so not like any of the other constarters.. this was just bad planning on engine used. however all those who backed still will get access when or if the new game is fully built.
    Don't worry about it, the OP is totally clueless ! 

Repop was playable for over a year before the problems with HeroEngine's solvency forced them to move to another platform. You can't continue building a game on an engine when the developer shuts down for 3 months because they're bankrupt. 

The survival game serves a dual purpose. It gives Repopulation backers something to play while the original game is ported to the new engine. It also gives the devs the opportunity to test assets and code on the new engine. Everything from Fragmented will be used in Repop once the conversion is complete, so the survival game is not a waste in any way.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    snowman22 said:

Repop was playable for over a year before the problems with HeroEngine's solvency forced them to move to another platform. You can't continue building a game on an engine when the developer shuts down for 3 months because they're bankrupt. 

The survival game serves a dual purpose. It gives Repopulation backers something to play while the original game is ported to the new engine. It also gives the devs the opportunity to test assets and code on the new engine. Everything from Fragmented will be used in Repop once the conversion is complete, so the survival game is not a waste in any way.
    As you say, Repop was playable for a good long time and the devs were never shy to deploy big alpha state patches. What happened to those guys...?

Its been 11-12months and we haven't heard anything from Repop in the new engine... no concept, no pre-pre-alpha, nothing.

The old engine wasn't greatly playable or polished and missed lots of features but was always playable from the earliest point... why does this new engine build need to be far superior that they wont show/demo any of it when the old one was far from a finished/beta state product.

People can blindly follow the devs... but i understand why others don't when the standards the devs set for the development in the old engine are completely shattered when it comes to the new engine. They wont/haven't even talked about the repop in the new engine in 11-12months... i wouldn't have ever associated that behavior to these devs when they were working on the old engine, they have noticeable changed (and/or had to let go most of their staff they had).
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I understand that it was delayed as others have mentioned.  I think I only threw about $25 maybe at it years ago.  I think it was find.  I played for a bit.  Didn't love it.  Wasted $25. . likely but I knew that was very possible.

I honestly don't expect anything out of it but it is WAAAAAY different.  They planned and worked on a game and had something playable that was showing development toward  to what they said they would do.  They had a "features list" like most games that was too high in expectation but they never stopped working on it.  

NMS in my memory said it was going to happen right up to release even after giving a date and being days away (knowing what the game would end up looking like).  I am guessing NMS made waaay more money as well so I think it was a much larger "scam".  I am not sure either one was a scam since they delivered something.   What they knew all along is the difference.  With Repopulation they were always pretty clear going along.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    snowman22 said:

Do they sell the survival game now, and with any success?

If not, where is the funding coming from for the engine conversion?

One would assume they had a pretty tight budget before the redesign, just wondering where the money comes from to keep the original title moving forward at a steady pace.

Also, it almost never a good sign when previously forthcoming devs go dark for an extended period of time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Kyarra said:
    I know I regret putting money into this game. I was expecting a SWG clone, instead I get ARK survival. Boring..
    Kyarra said:
    there still going to dot he repopulation mmo its just fragmeanted is the first part
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am pretty sure that there are licensing that is based strictly on success/profits/royalties.Not saying this si what the guy did but most likely.

Also this was at one point 1/2/3 people so i wouldn't call it a scam,i would say a lot of hard work but never had a chance to be anything amazing.

As to survival game mode,just look around people are supporting those and every single one of them is near identical,ARK including.However i doubt those who wanted a repop type shooter game would be much interested in an ARK type game,so good luck to them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.