Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Screenshots!

francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
edited November 2016 in Camelot Unchained

Click to enlarge images.
From this week's update: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/screenshots-for-everybody/

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Although SS's don't mean anything to me as anyone can make good looking landscape,i do have to acknowledge a smile because i did not see any yellow markers over npc heads...yet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited November 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Although SS's don't mean anything to me as anyone can make good looking landscape,i do have to acknowledge a smile because i did not see any yellow markers over npc heads...yet.
    I doubt anyone can make good looking landscape, it requires a lot of skill and effort, especially in the case of CSE given that they've built everything themselves: their engine, lighting system, models, textures, etc.

I agree however that today it's easy to just purchase a few assets from Unity or Unreal store and get a "decent" landscape in no time, just nothing comparable to what we get with talented artists working on the biomes for months.
  • LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I don't like the landscape.  I want to see fantasy elements to the landscape.  The fact that it looks like a normal woods is boring and unimpressive.
  • ElorantaEloranta Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Looks great! Can't wait for beta! 
    pokrak
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    At least they managed to meet the general standard for a good "realistic" landscape. The water's edge areas could use some improvement though, they look a bit 2010...
    Ledrir said:
    I don't like the landscape.  I want to see fantasy elements to the landscape.  The fact that it looks like a normal woods is boring and unimpressive.
    It's the "basic" landscape and they will be adding fantasy stuff after from what I've understood. Here are some of the things they've shown so far but I guess they'll be adding a lot more than that:

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Ledrir said:
    You'll see lots of fantasy, there is a rather straightforward reason for "only grass and trees" this early, as Tyler explained in one of recent streams - they want to explore the visual capabilities of their engine to the max, before starting to work on epic and more demanding stuff. Thus making it even...epicier =)
    At least they managed to meet the general standard for a good "realistic" landscape. The water's edge areas could use some improvement though, they look a bit 2010...
    Water is in rudimentary form, and will be polished a lot, as MJ explained the other day on Massively OP:

"As to the water texture, yep, it was a bit of quick work. Like everything else with the game, it's still a work-in-progress. The good news is that all we need to do is take a couple of weeks and write a really good water shader and/or use bits of WaveWorks as RealmHerald mentions. 

As always, it's a process, and if you have seen our screen shots from Pre-Alpha -> Alpha -> Current, you can see the dramatic improvement in them."

W...aaagh?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2016
    Nice landscapes.  Looking forward to seeing more unique graphics, videos, UI's of the game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Agreed, I think they've just started working on the water with the wet PBR they've shown on Vine not so long ago. They've talked about using some NVidia tech to make more realistic oceanic simulation. We'll see how it looks like in a few months.  =)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Wizardry said:

If the screenshots looked like crap would you have said so?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    not much known about the game right now.  would love to start seeing some streams of game design and actual features soon.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited November 2016
    Cant see the world animated so waiting on updated gameplay. 
    edited November 2016
    not much known about the game right now.  would love to start seeing some streams of game design and actual features soon.
    Many of the game features are described in length on the CU Wiki and the website, and there are many videos in which the devs present the different systems.

CSE has said that it shouldn't take too long before they start streaming some gameplay, so I'll stay tuned.  =)
    edited November 2016
    New screenshots from this week's update:

"This is all very much a work in progress, and I must preface that while it seems we are going for realism, we certainly plan to add more fantasy elements. Right now a more realistic world helps us tune all these lighting changes as we can gauge our work against what “feels” right, which is sometimes a hard thing to figure out. Trust us, we have a ton of knobs to tune now, so anyone jumping in will certainly find some great shots, and some not so great ones. Bear with us. Like we told you, it’s going to keep getting better."
    Post edited by francis_baud on
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Wizardry said:
    True anyone can make screenshots but screenshots do show the general art style, and in this case I like it.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Agreed, I think they've just started working on the water with the wet PBR they've shown on Vine not so long ago. They've talked about using some NVidia tech to make more realistic oceanic simulation. We'll see how it looks like in a few months.  =)

can you swim in this game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is only incoming mmo for what I am interested , liked this progression & way where it going , I hope they are not dissapoint me at end

can you swim in this game?
    Yes, you can even drown if you try that with heavy armor or too much in your backpack. Swimming will be one of ways to travel between moving islands (source):

W...aaagh?
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited January 2017
    Rhoklaw said:
    No offense but for some reason, the screenshots remind me so much of Lord of the Rings. Not in quality but just environmental setting.
    Tolkien used bits and pieces of British, Norse and Irish mythology for LOTR ... and because CU also uses a British, Norse and Irish inspired lore and fitting landscape the screenshots feel familiar ;)
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I wan to see ruins, cities or landmarks before I can judge on the Art Style.
    I have to agree with others, natural landscapes are pretty easy to make with a random landscape generator.
    But I am willing to wait as Mark Jacobs said that at this stage graphics were at the bottom of the list, as they were focusing on the engine and implementing features.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    I saw screenshots in the title and just assumed it was DnL time  :o

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:
    I have to agree with others, natural landscapes are pretty easy to make with a random landscape generator.
    But I am willing to wait as Mark Jacobs said that at this stage graphics were at the bottom of the list, as they were focusing on the engine and implementing features.

Landmarks and epic stuff will come in the end (just in case you missed my previous explanation - http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7064955/#Comment_7064955), they are still fine tuning their engine and experimenting with light/shades/textures on generic landscapes.
    DMKano said:
    World scenery screenshots are largely meaningless as every Kickstarter project can show off cool scenery vistas.

Where it all falls apart is gameplay, animations, combat etc.... - THAT is the hard part.
    Unlike typical Kickstarter type of "let's put together couple fancy screenshots and some epic story", this is completely reversed - the essence i.e. the monstrous engine (I better not start on counting all it's capable of...) developed for 3+ years which is slowly getting some makeup, and even so it's still alpha makeup.

On the contrary, if you want you can find timelapse videos on YouTube, in which guys make awesome looking landscape in UE/Unity, from scratch i.e. from it's elementary assets, virtually in couple hours.

Of course, combat is not guaranteed to be good - it can still easily fail or turn out to be boring. I'm just pointing out the difference between this and just another Unreal/Unity shoestring budget Kickstarter project.
    nurso said:
    ste2000 said:

Just to add, first two images are part of five (!) Jon made in less than eight hours, it illustrates rather his speed in 3D modeling than some highly elaborate epic stuff. These are meant to be eventually modified/textured and then randomly scattered around the landscape, as monuments / traces of unknown past, and not more than that.

That is, I guess @ste2000 had something bigger in mind, and the game is still not in that phase. Artists are just starting to make small pieces of future epic scenery - say, last three statues will be part of PoP (place of power) shown in the next-to-last concept.
     W...aaagh?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    nurso said:
    ste2000 said:

That's a Statue and an Artistic Impression of a landmark (which looks great).
    Sometimes the way an Art Style looks on paper can be quite different from the way they actually look in game.
    But as I said I want to see actual places in game to see how they look like and how well they fit with the environment.
    I am not criticizing by the way, I said that I was aware that graphics were not at the top of the priority list, and I was willing to wait before making a judgement on it.