Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameforge Lays Off Staff to Concentrate on PC Titles - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageGameforge Lays Off Staff to Concentrate on PC Titles - MMORPG.com News

Gameforge has announced a significant round of layoffs after disappointing results from its foray into mobile gaming. According to CEO Alexander Rösner, the company will remain focused on PC games such as Orcs Must Die! Unchained and the EU versions of TERA and Aion.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2016
    Stizzled said:
    Not surprising, the mobile market is so saturated right now that you have to do something truly unique to even get noticed, no matter the size of the company behind the project. 
    I think the trick of success on mobile isn't much about something unique to offer, is have a good strong marketing and promotion to make the biggest amount of people get "addicted" to your game instead. And who can compete with the big boys? :expressionless:

It's a jungle out there!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's also imperative to make as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time. 99% of mobile games are "flashes in the pan" -- maximize profit in minimal time is the key.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    But, but mobile is so easy ........

And size is no guarantee. Zynga for example; people had doubts about Candy Crush prior to it being taken over and results since have not dispelled those doubts.

Innovative titles are what tend to break out. If companies could create them to order ..... well they wouldn't be innovative.

The companies with guaranteed mobile success currently are Sony, Microsoft, Apple and Google.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would love to hear more companies refocusing on PC games!
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    Innovative titles are what tend to break out. If companies could create them to order ..... well they wouldn't be innovative.

The companies with guaranteed mobile success currently are Sony, Microsoft, Apple and Google.
    Innovative titles WITH proper Marketing. Good Mobile games that just RIP due lack of players are not missing. You don't even get to hear about many, it's O.o

A big difference for me in terms of mobile vs PC... is that a good Mobile game will not get as much attention and highlight as a good PC game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2016
    Torval said:
    On top of that AT&T is buying Time Warner for $85.4Bn USD. That could change a lot of things for gaming on Warner Brothers IPs and content distribution. AT&T will control Harry Potter, Tolkien (what's currently controlled by WB), DC heroes, and so on.
    Maybe if there will be a Crazy People remake, they can change the ad in it for:
    don't mess with us, if we fold, you'll have no damn games (on phones)  :lol:
    https://youtu.be/dktVJ3qRGS0
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Typically I am very sad to see anyone laid off. Having said that, to many companies are trying to cash in on mobile with dime a dozen games. Just like tons of developers did with MMO games. I can also count the number of mobile games I have played seriously on a single hand. I don't fall for these silly cash grab micro transations and I never will. Make me something with some meat to it and I will toss you 60 bucks, but I will not be nickle and dimed by you.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    They only have 6 mobile games according to this list: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Gameforge+4D+GmbH
    They all look below avarage within their genres. Maybe they would had better luck if they had picked ARPG.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Good mobile gaming blows.  Love seeing devs focusing on PC's.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I was a "fast reader" on this title and what I saw was " Gameforge Lays off Staff .... and it's closing down thier PC department"

I was like : Finally, Aion is free now, but then .......

Oh well .. moving on!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This would be great news if Gameforge wasn't just utter garbage.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    What's this?  Can someone who said pc deveopers were abandoing pc for mobile, please stand up....please stand up.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited October 2016
    @MaxBacon, @SBFord are both right. To win at mobile you must both capture a large audience very fast, and quickly switch into a money making cash shop mode. As seen in Pokémon GO. Truth is Mobile gamers are bigger Play For Free (P4F) than PC gamers. Neither wants to spend any money on gaming. Once they realize the game isn't free, they move on.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2016

mgilbrtsn said:

What's this?  Can someone who said pc deveopers were abandoing pc for mobile, please stand up....please stand up.

Me! Actually I didn't. However:

That Gameforge are now turning away from mobile does not change the fact that previously they opted to "favour" mobile over PC. And the reasons they did that will not have changed. PC hasn't gotten any easier. There is no "Gameforge plan huge expansion in staff to work on PC titles". Their earlier "abandonment" (a bit strong imo but) hasn't changed.
  • Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I'd love to see the day, this company ceases to exist.
    Anyone who played Aion recently, knows how utterly clueless they are about the game.
    They don't give a single **** about users feedback either.

Turning a once great game into another crappy p2w galore.

I uninstalled it a few days back, when they introduced an event, where you are supposed to hand in "xp gain increasing scrolls" to recieve XP directly, so that you don't even have to kill a single mob, just buy xp from the shop directly.

Greedforge is a huge disgrace to the gaming industry.