Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions are not a good Idea!!! You are warned!

flashmemoryflashmemory Member UncommonPosts: 4
Having separate factions is a terrible idea. It absolutely destroyed some of the best MMOs I've played. You may want to reconsider that idea. Change the name of the factions to just be placeholders, red, blue, green factions and mix your population up between the races. Good LUCK! I have 20 years of MMO experience and gaming.

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• setsua28setsua28 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Lmao DAOC would like to have a word with you.  
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    LOL
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Well many people would disagree with that.  I prefer factions with clear differences in my MMO's.
  • brieenbrieen Member UncommonPosts: 71
    DAOC was a great PvP game and it had 3 factions. UO had factions and its still going after almost 19 years. Factions if done right are really good. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    People are utilizing niche games as a defense for full faction gaming. Do you really want this game to be niche? Snail is already smart enough in realizing that a full on PvP title only applies to a small target audience, thus the PvE server(s). Every game that has a faction system suffers over time mainly because the majority of players are PvE who enjoy occasional PvP at best. Factions only divide the community in that regard in order to favor "immersion" which honestly only a small amount of individuals like at the price of having a consist number of people to do things with. This results in factions becoming lopsided over the coarse of time. Its seen in Aion (still so even though they added an incentive program and had to rework asmo's looks to look at like the other side to a degree), Rift (mercenary system and blended chat so people can still do 'balanced' faction pvp while having unified pve, but the pvp server they have is dead), and even WoW suffers from such imbalance with certain servers having mostly horde or alliance (Stormrage is a prime example of mostly alliance players).
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    you are not going to ever see each other anyways, especially with multiple servers.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    brieen said:
    DAOC was a great PvP game and it had 3 factions. UO had factions and its still going after almost 19 years. Factions if done right are really good. 
    I like games most when you pick your factions within the game world rather than on a character creation screen, SWG being the best example as far as MMORPGs go. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I wonder if what the OP means is that factions should be willingly joined by the players as opposed to them being these strict delineations where one race can't join another faction  because that faction is at war with them. Or some such thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    My assumption is factions would really only matter on the PVP server.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Factions are one of the best parts of the MMO genre.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    He warned us!
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Patently untrue.  I would go so far as to say the opposite is actually more accurate.  Games like LOTRO would have benefited greatly from an opposing faction system had the IP allowed them to expand on existing lore.  Granted some games started but subsequently abandoned their faction systems but that's usually a last ditch effort to try and improve grouping in a game with dwindling populations and seldom, if ever, ends up improving or saving the game.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Every faction game I have played I have always wished I could attack my own faction. 
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Everything is a bad idea these days. What they should really do is just give you a cgi movie upon entering the game that says: YOU WIN!

This needs to happen, if it doesn't..

Sincerely,

Your Warning
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    In Global MU Origin, we currently don't have a faction but we do have a good guild system. Guild shop, guild buffs and guild events are making it fun for every member because you can get pretty good items for free b participating in guild events. However, I don't know how are they going to add faction in game.
  • gameshogungameshogun Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Having separate factions is a terrible idea. It absolutely destroyed some of the best MMOs I've played. You may want to reconsider that idea. Change the name of the factions to just be placeholders, red, blue, green factions and mix your population up between the races. Good LUCK! I have 20 years of MMO experience and gaming.
    Are you a joke?

"Separate factions is a terrible idea" and then you claimed you "have 20 years of MMO experience"

Seriously? You are telling us that the following sucks?
    1. Ultima Online - 1996 and is still alive and kicking
    2. Lineage 1 - 1997 and is still alive and kicking
    3. Dark Age of Camelot - 1997, still alive and kicking
    4. Lineage 2 - still alive and kicking
    5. EVE Online - very much alive
    6. World of Warcraft - 'nuff said

So, where is your "20 years of MMO experience" for you to make a statement that "separate factions is a terrible idea"?

I call this complete bull.

Come on, if you are going to make such bold statements, make sure to back it up with solid facts.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I think this may be a wind up guys. :)
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Factions are a great gameplay mechanic for good solid organized PVP. Guild based PVP instead of factions really only benefits those who join big guilds and enjoy the chaos of constant conflict with other guilds. Factions provide world and lore loyalties, with guildish gameplay within that organized set up.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited November 2016
    Kyleran said:
    My assumption is factions would really only matter on the PVP server.

Indeed. Factions on a PvE server is great for character identity but no real tactical advantage.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

This is what happens when someone drops the mic, the guy who gets hit in the head with it gets his own crazy ideas.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• krymsontydekrymsontyde Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited November 2016
    You can run any of those games you listed on a homebrew server in your moms basement. Being on life support means they are alive but definitely not kicking.  It is all about evolving and I agree faction based games in this MMO market is an absolute disaster choice. You definitely want as many people to engage with as many people as they can.

Also, look at what happened to Rift. Probably the newest Faction Based MMO of the last generation. The developers actually abandoned that game to scrub devs who are ruining it. They have admitted it was one of the worse decisions they made. Nuff said. Rift was in fact one of the best MMOs I have played and that game went into the toilet losing millions of subscribers because of factions. They eventually had to allow players to find each other because that was the only way they could save the game. Faction based MMO is just a terrible idea. I agree 100% with OP. You guys must be a bunch of old people who have not adapted to a new generation of players. Basically your kind of generation belongs in the old folks home of MMO player.
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I hate games without factions. I hate that all are starting at the same spot, having the same classes, the same races. I want a game that tries to get a faction to work together and to feel realm pride. I want a game where people get famous on the server within the faction for being good leaders, good crafters, good tanks etc instead of like now when Everything is so non-personal. In DAOC i loved that we had a crafter that crafted the best Arrows and staffs on our server. He was not a good player in the war but he was famous for that. We had a Paladin leader that was famous just because he was such a great leader, He was far from the best player besides that.

But I see where you are coming from.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    What the OP is trying to say, and every fan of Faction should consider.  People are going to abandon the losing faction.  When I played Planetside I never watched for this so I don't know the reality of these statements.  But I can understand and accept the possibility.

1. PvE players will be the first targets.  This has been seen in EvE, and accounts for all the post on this site begging PvE players to try EvE.  Over time they will leave.
    2. Once and If faction based PvP begins, there will be a dominate side.  Players on the losing faction will look for servers where their faction is dominate and create characters there.  Or just delete and join the winning faction or leave.
    3. Power Guilds (PGs) will dominate the game and servers.   PGs will send guards to protect the PvE harvesters and crafters.  PGs will meet the needs for gear and consumables, protected leveling.  Solo players will not, and will leave.
    These are real considerations, and can't be ignored or dismissed.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.