Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

been away from Rift, but i would love Rift 2 with new Animations and Engine

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I loved Vanilla Rift. Was so much fun until they added more level grinding. I would if Rift had a sequel with better engine, maybe custom engine, with Guild Wars 2 level animations, also better Dynamic Event system. Love the faction instanced PvP modes. But would love ssomething closer to 40vs40 long Old AV type a battle mode.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Vanilla Rift with the World events and the PvP rifts was so much fun. Conquest when it first came out was a blast. The first expansion was fun too, the zones were INSANELY cool, but then a series of bad decisions started up and Nightmare tide just sucked. PvP is in a terrible place and I'm sure PvE hasn't changed at all.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    What you want probably will never happen. MMOs (in the west at least) need to change their design philosophy first.
    Designing and then building an mmo with intent for it to last for years is naive at best as well as challenging (content wise) as well as expensive. 
    We all want new games new content so why maintain one title forever when you can say just keep releasing new games as rounded whole. Leave old burdens behind, add new content and rework classes or whatever and you have new title. Players who dislike new can stay with the old and vice versa.
    When server pop drops below certain threshold pull the plug on said title and move on.

Most often than not new content comes in a form where it overrides or completely invalidates all the previous work so it really is nothing more than dead weight on a server a remnant from the past.

Well my 2cp on the matter anyhow. 
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Rift it self now more on a custom engine in how much they fix it and edit it so much it's never was the same engine when it started. In a long run a sequel may never happen. It takes time and cost with so little content to start with if there was a sequel.
  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Yeah even the first expansion, though not as good as the original (up to and including Ember Isle) was pretty fantastic. I was one of the very few that thought Conquest was cool. I just couldn't get it to stop lagging 50% of the time.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2016
    Yeah even the first expansion, though not as good as the original (up to and including Ember Isle) was pretty fantastic. I was one of the very few that thought Conquest was cool. I just couldn't get it to stop lagging 50% of the time.
    Honestly, I loved SL. It did a lot that many games didn't and except WotLK with the whole 2 ways into the expansion thing. On top of that, they gave you quite a lot of content for an expansion. Honestly, if Rift's latest expansion gave as much as SL (which it won't) it would justified in going to b2p. I mean Trino is even listing "2 new dungeons" as a selling point lol.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    My problems with Rift:

1) The endless rebalancing.  Every time I found a class combination that "worked" it was nerfed.  Eventually everything was bland and equal.

2) The artificial required stats for the endgame treadmill.  I had very good items with the stats stacked very well for my class.  They forced you to play the class in exactly the way they wanted you to, with no ability to customize yourself even with items.

3) Them making the rifts themselves pretty much worthless once you started that treadmill.  I enjoyed the rifts, quite a lot (especially before being nerfed into the ground), but the rewards became nil.

---

The actual thing Rift did best was bringing the blue shinies to the level of an art form.  I got into so many practically inaccessible areas, and in the enemy realm as well, to get my rare collectables.

---

It is hard to believe that rift is now over 5 years old and needing a sequel.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    edited October 2016
    Trion got greedy.. sorry, but I don't trust them anymore.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2016
    i hope i'm wrong but i don't think Trion is making enough money with Rift to justify a sequel. I would totally play a Rift 2 if they fix all the issues with the original game, but then i would also just play the original Rift if they fix everything that's wrong with it.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Unfortunately I just don't see a Rift 2 every happening.

I would play it immediately because I actually quite liked the world/lore of Rift, but, again, just don't see it ever happening.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    With them devoting so much time and resources to developing a 64-bit version of the Rift client I don't expect they will be looking at releasing Rift 2 anytime soon.

There is no reason for them to start working on Rift 2 until they feel they have exhausted the potential of Rift, which is obviously not the case due to the above.

What may be more likely is an upgrade to some of the graphics and animation of Rift once they have the 64-bit client in place, and a continued release of purchased expansions to drive forward enhancements to the game to bring it closer in line with more recent titles.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Since Rift 2 won't likely happen, what would you guys like to see coming to Rift that would really push the game forward?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    DMKano said:
    Isnt it funny how vanilla versions are the most loved when it comes to mmorpgs?
    Are they?
    Not true for WoW or Everquest anyway.  Either BC or Wotlk for the former; RoK, SoV, or for some even PoP for the latter
    DMKano said:
    Not always lol
    Torval said:

But since none of that is ever any more likely than Rift 2 I will have to suffice myself with fond memories of rogue tanking and chloro healing.
    Nice, I had the same two main classes on this game.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Rift 2 would be decent. I liked Rift, the last time I played it was possible to macro all your attacks into 1 button though, like what? XD
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited October 2016
    DMKano said:
    That's probably because expansions are usually a deviation from anything the previous version had.  For example in Rift vanilla to its first expansion, it was a huge change, aesthetically, gameplay wise, etc.

For me personally and not that it matters, I enjoyed Vanilla WoW the most of any games that have a "vanilla".  It was challenging, it wasn't over inflated with gear that was given out on a silver platter, world pvp actually existed, you had your own server community that you grew to know players unlike now, you didn't pull entire dungeons and AoE everything down, you had to use CC, I mean I could go on and on and on.  I mean.. pulling packs of mobs in "mythic" dungeons and mass AoE'ing with ease.. come on.  I will be the first to admit that I LOVE AoE's but being able to do such things on the hardest difficulty of dungeons is rather lame and goes to show how much Blizz has watered down their game

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited November 2016
    OhhPaigey said:
    Rift 2 would be decent. I liked Rift, the last time I played it was possible to macro all your attacks into 1 button though, like what? XD
    How general MMO are would be more of the same if there was a Rift 2. It's hard to make a MMO fun after few weeks worth of 3 years of dev time. With out doing same thing over and over, and on marco still like that for a lot of the class, but does not help with the dps. Get to lose a lot if a player can't control all the buttons.
  • jeatacjeatac Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Starfall Prophecy expansion that is coming November 16th along with 64 bit coding looks promising to me. I still enjoy the game and to me is one of the best games going right now unlike World of Warcraft.

I hope the new X-Pac keeps me having fun until something such as Pantheon becomes available to play. The rest of the MMO's out there are not as enjoyable to me.