Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Darkfall...for a PVE focused player?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited October 2016 in Darkfall
yeah I can see the comments now.

First, I actually DO like PvP. In fact, I loved it in both EVE and pvp servers on WoW. A PVE only focused game without pvp servers gets very boring for me. I never engage, unless it looks like an enemy. But I do love PvP, and dying is a lot of fun than just going around pwning everything and falling asleep.

With that said, in EVE you could go to a quiet system (by studying the map) and get left alone (mostly) even in nullsec. I built up quite a nice network of personal systems in nullsec and had little outposts around and even (solo) had my own single system under my control. Since it was just me myself and I the space hermit, it took a lot of grinding and a full year of getting that goal accomplished (maybe could have done it sooner, dunno, did a lot of other stuff too and it was just me the space hermit) but I finally had my own place in nullsec. This was the most fun I ever had and felt the most accomplishing thing I've ever actually done in any game.

So I know Darkfall is a PvP MMO (like EVE), but EVE offers TONS of PVE content (missions, some story stuff, crafting, trading, industry, planet base building etc). And even lets a PVE player, with enough work, time, investment accomplish something as far as PVE goes. It would of course probably been easier with friends, but I did it, and no game, singleplayer or otherwise felt so satisfying and felt so much fun.

As for WoW. I played on Emerald Dream, originally I was on a pure PVE RP server. But it was so boring, kept falling asleep as I went around grinding quests without any worry of dying at all. Even later on at endgame zones (broken isles) it was just too boring. So I moved to ED, and it was far more exciting and fun. 

I didn't really play too long though, cause I'm tired of WoW after over 10 years of playing (same with EVE Online, which I've spent quite a lot of time in). Plus I want more of a game that is either sci-fi or fantasy on a planet. I don't feel like playing space games right now, kinda tired of them. I like land beneath my legs lol.

I was originally thinking of going back to trying out ESO or GW2 or FFXIV...but I played all those and didn't really like them. GW2 felt meh, GW1 was far better (to me anyway). FFXIV the world is super linear, tiny and loading screens...loading screens everywhere. And ESO just makes me want to play Skyrim, so I play ESO and 30 minutes later I'm playing Skyrim instead lol.

Then I realized, Darkfall...the single only MMO I actually have never tried. Mostly because my friend said there is very little PVE content to do and its 100% PVP. However, a thread on here over in the LFG forum on MMORPG.com seems to suggest, like EVE, I can go off from crowded areas and just focus on PVE stuff...but still have to be careful of players and experience PvP content. It seemed to suggest there is a lot of PVE stuff to do, like PvP content.

From what I've written, does it sound like Darkfall fits what I am looking for? Honestly don't want to keep re-trying the same MMOs over and over with the same result. Like a rat in a maze going around and around the same path lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well, later in the post toward the end. I actually meant "experience pvp CONTENT" not "experience pvp comment" lol. But I don't have an edit button for the original post. Can only edit replies for some reason. Oh well.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    You can edit the original post by looking for a little gear icon at the very top (where the title is and the purple background).

Also the two Darkfall remakes are PvP focused, while the "original" Darkfall has mainly shifted towards a PvE style game with occasional PvP.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • darknagualdarknagual Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I enjoyed my time in darkfall pveing.Being in a clan that holds a holding near good pve spots helps. I would often spend hours grinding magic on blood golems and shadowknights. Make it a habit to bank often because you never know when your going to get jumped which did happen a few times to me but thats all part of the game. PVE even got more fun when i learnt to do PVE on a mount. I would plow through mobs and make 5 times the amount of gold...that was the most fun PVE i have ever done
    According to the forums here, it looks like all versions of Darkfall are gone except one. And the darkfall I found on Steam, someone on the steam forums for darkfall (steam version) said if you buy it, there are no servers to play on. There is only a single version of Darkfall left. Not sure how popular it is or not, but the Darkfall forums on MMORPG.com are kinda quiet.

But all the other versions aren't on Steam or any other digital store.

Looks like I might actually have missed out on it sadly. 

edited October 2016
    Or is there two versions up? Agon and New Dawn? 

This is like the most confusing MMO lol. Is there two versions running at the same for some reason? All taken down like the guy on steam posted? 

I can't find any digital store with either New Dawn or Agon. I was gonna use my steam money to buy Darkfall Unholy Wars, but that is definitely gone. I found a wiki for New Dawn, but it kept saying it didn't exist. 

I think I might avoid this game tbh. I have no idea why so many versions and why information is all over the place what is up or not. I'd rather play an MMO that is...not so...well maybe shady isn't the right word...but it looks like they keep releasing darkfall in various names and then they fail lol.

Plus, from what someone said in darkfall forums on mmorpg.com AND steam darkfall is the population is really dead. So I guess the game died or something. Or just isn't popular. I dunno.

I don't even know if the game is up, but I guess its dead because there are no digital game stores that even list the game. Steam has unholy wars only, but that isn't online anymore. Or is it? Again the information I'm finding is all over the place for this MMO lol

• darknagualdarknagual Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited October 2016
    Rise of Agon and New Dawn are 2 version of the original darkfall that are being brought back by 2 companies that bought the license from Aventurine. They have slightly different goals in mind as to how the original game should have been but are basically the same game. Rise of agon servers are in the US and newdawn server is in france.

Darkfall unholy wars is basically darkfall 2 with better graphics and many other changes but aventurine left out the soul that makes the original darkfall a great game so it eventually shut down. Just forget that monstrosity ever existed

check out there webpages
    https://darkfallriseofagon.com
    https://darkfallnewdawn.com
    Rise of Agon and New Dawn are 2 version of the original darkfall that are being brought back by 2 companies that bought the license from Aventurine. They have slightly different goals in mind as to how the original game should have been but are basically the same game. Rise of agon servers are in the US and newdawn server is in france.

Darkfall unholy wars is basically darkfall 2 with better graphics and many other changes but aventurine left out the soul that makes the original darkfall a great game so it eventually shut down. Just forget that monstrosity ever existed

check out there webpages
    https://darkfallriseofagon.com
    https://darkfallnewdawn.com
    ah okay, that makes a lot more sense. 

That is interesting the same game (sorta), but two by two different companies. Kinda reminds me of Fallout 3 by Bethesda, but New Vegas by someone else.

Thanks for the explanation :)

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2016
    Darkfall's PvE can get very repetitive, very fast. That being said taking on some of the tougher things the game has to throw at you is insanely fun, but they absolutely require a group. And yeah you will certainly be able to find quiet areas that you won't see other players much to PvE.

The kraken is the first super big boss you'll be able to take down. It can be done with smaller groups that only have 2 strong players and a few newbs to man the ship and the guns if you use the right tactics. As you get tougher you can join groups fighting dragons. 

Honestly I would never join Darkfall just for the PvE but if you like both PvE and PvP it can be quite fun.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2016
    DMKano said:
    Not sure why others are afraid to say it - so I will

It's terrible for a PvE focused player - it's a PvP game through and through.

Because he said he has played EVE and loves PvP.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    darkfall is being played by different players.. yes the core of darkfall is pvp.. since there is almost nothing safe...

but you can play the game as you like.. most poeple in darkfall hate pve... but its necessary since you kinda need enchance mats @ the meta game..

If you make a name for yourself and become a crafter of pve'er by collecting mats.. ( and there are a shitton), you can have a  pretty good time in darkfall..

But like i said above.. doing pve in darkfall is never safe.
    One of my friends on steam let me play on his account and let me play his character with a bunch of stuff.

It doesn't seem to be what I pictured. In EVE, I could be a hermit or play with one of my other real life friends (which I forgot actually, but one of my friends helped a lot early on in EVE to my goal of getting a single star system, but he didn't like EVE that much). Darkfall doesn't really have that chance to do, and I teamed up with another guy that was friends in-game with my friend...but meh. I just couldn't get into it at all.

I kinda like EVE PVE a lot more than Darkfall PVE. EVE PVE felt like there was a ton more to do for everyone. But I've played EVE so long and accomplished my entire goal with it, just can't continue EVE.

Also. I know I didn't play THAT long in Darkfall (only 4 and a half hours). But in games I always stick with and play for a long time, I know pretty much right away if its for me or not. And in MMOs if I don't have fun grouping, that doesn't tend to be a good sign.

Maybe in the end, I just need a month to three month break from EVE and then play it again lol. Just was hoping for something else.

There is Project Genom that is out on Steam in early access. That looks like a ton of fun. But its alpha, and early access. Reminds me of Mass Effect, with a bit of Firefall and Tabula Rasa.