Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Screen Of Death Without Sound

NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
  So I had a bit of nostalgia and decided to redownload AoC, but on a new computer. I haven't played in around 3 years, but realized I still have a ton of Funcom points. Yay?
 So I get it all patched up and what do I get? The black screen of death, kinda like 2008 called, but without sound. I've tried windowed, high textures, low textures, checked and unchecked tweaker. My drivers are updated, my new system is high end. I even tried running as admin. I have no custom GUI anything. Shader changing did nothing. I did the repair broken, and nada.
  I tried to post to the forums and I can't get in. I updated my passwords through account management 2 days ago, and still no access. I also emailed support, but haven't heard back from them.

Comments

• Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    edited October 2016
    BSOD  can be a over clocking issue, a ram issue or driver issue. Can I have your pc specs please and O.S.

When ever I get BSOD I clear the Cmos first and make sure all of the bios settng are correct. Use your manual to go through your bios options
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    What does windows logs tell you? There should be at least one report of error from the time you crashed with details.
  • NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    So about an hour ago, I managed to fix it. Not sure I want to play, since I STILL haven't heard back from Tech Support and it was still broken. I still can't post to the main forums either.
    Turns out the problem is the download from the main site is a broken piece of crap. I got it to work by completely deleting it and downloading it from steam.

PS- there were no error logs, it was simply a black screen inside the windowed game box with a cursor. All my other games work fine, it had nothing to do with my computer.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    What makes you think you've fixed it, if it is just an hour ago? BSODs are rarely caused by software issues and it can take days for them to reappear. Especially, when theyre caused by faulty CPU, GPU, RAM, Solid disk, PSU, or any other faulty HW. It took me almost a year to diagnose my occassional BSOD I had in some games, and it was because of an overclocked GPU.

There are tons of possibilities what might be causing your BSOD, from faulty HW, clocks, voltages, bad wiring inside case, corrupted windows installation, or many other causes. BSOD may happen in all games, but just as well it may happen in some games or even in a single game. It is almost 100% not because of Age of Conan, but because of your HW/SW configuration, even if it happens almost exclusively in AoC. 

Just a small clue, AoC is a lot more dependent on CPU than GPU than other games. You might want to start there, if you're serious with the diagnostics, and dont want to just be unreasonably angry against Funcom.

The fact that the technical support team didnt reply to you yet is because BSODs are almost impossible to diagnose over distance, and they know it is caused at your end, and not theirs.

REALITY CHECK

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Still not having any problems with the game now. I think you are mistaking the BLACK screen of death for the BLUE screen of death. My system never crashed. There were never any crash errors. The game simply wouldn't load, except for the cursor.
    This was a  huge problem when the game first came out, and it was a software issue then, too, related to the shader settings.
    My CPU is an Intel 2.6 GHz, 16G RAM, with an NVidia GTX980M- my specs are great, but not so top of the line that it can't work with an older game:P

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    There really isnt much difference between black and blue screen of death. I never doubted your HW specs. Something might have gone wrong with the installation, it happens sometimes. I really doubt they would put up a client causing BSODs on its own at this stage of the game, thats not very likely. But I might admit, something could go wrong with the installation, which simply happens from time to time.

REALITY CHECK

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    BSOD the B stands for Blue
    Are you onto something or just on something?