Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Homicide Closes Down After Dropping Frivolous Lawsuit

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    I'm not entirely sure what happened.  But noone has the right to flat out lie about someone else.  Its called "Libel" and its illegal.  Opinions are not subject to Libel but if someone just tells a lie then it definitely is Libel and yes you should get in trouble for it.

Good Lord, are you actually supporting these guys?
    Like I said I didn't follow on what exactly happened.  But from this OP alone it looks like someone lied to defame the product and they were getting sued for it.
    Well perhaps you could have done some research on what actually happened before wading in with such a dogmatic position.

You also might want to do some work so you understand what is and isn't libel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So it's going under for any and all reasons other than making really shitty games that no one wants to play? Alrighty then.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Iselin said:
    So it's going under for any and all reasons other than making really shitty games that no one wants to play? Alrighty then.
    Maybe he should've used that as a marketing strategy "shitty games you don't want play" instead of fighting it. Worked for SyFy with their low budget crapfest "B" movies. I mean, look at Sharknado.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2016
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    I'm not entirely sure what happened.  But noone has the right to flat out lie about someone else.  Its called "Libel" and its illegal.  Opinions are not subject to Libel but if someone just tells a lie then it definitely is Libel and yes you should get in trouble for it.

Like I said I didn't follow on what exactly happened.  But from this OP alone it looks like someone lied to defame the product and they were getting sued for it.
    Short version:

Digital Homicide was angry about a Youtube review, so they decided to sue the reviewer for $10 million. That got some publicity, so Digital Homicide also sued 100 Steam users who spoke about them on Steam. At that point Steam decided it's best to stop doing business with Digital Homicide, so Digital Homicide sued Steam.

None of the lawsuits ever got anywhere, and now it looks like the developer has decided to shut down.

Some of those Steam users might have really said something that's illegal, but even so this is a case of developer going bonkers over a Youtube review and proceeding to sue everything in sight. Good it's over.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:

Exactly.

That FPS game they made was utter garbage

Its going under because he shot himself in the foot (and the head) for going after valve and steam users and getting his games yanked. I'm sure he was making a decent profit off of people who didn't know his games were shit or who bought it for the lols because they are usually priced cheaply. Plus add in that trading cards were more then likely bringing in a nice profit it would have been smarter to just not have said anything at all.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Some of those Steam users might have really said something that's illegal, but even so this is a case of developer going bonkers over a Youtube review and proceeding to sue everything in sight. Good it's over.
    It would have been next to impossible to try and prove that those steam users who left bad reviews were not stating an opinion unless they specifically said something like playing this game will give you cancer.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    There was a microsecond where I was slightly on this guys side, that was at the beginning of his interview with Sterling(however long ago that was).  Sterling is very over the top and rude, but that's what gets him views.

But the more this guy whined, the easier it was to dislike him.  He made really bad games, it's not a crime but it's going to come with legit criticism.  In retrospect he should have tried to be light hearted about the criticisms and just move forward.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Nobody lied about anything opinions and facts were all that was said about digital homicide and its aliases. That any one lied was solely the opinion of...Digital Homicide! The products defamed them selves. Have you seen or played any of them????!!!!! Geeze Digital homice should be sued for class action damages occurred when life was lost playing their dookie games. Cheers
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited October 2016
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

Digital Homicide was angry about a Youtube review, so they decided to sue the reviewer for $10 million. That got some publicity, so Digital Homicide also sued 100 Steam users who spoke about them on Steam. At that point Steam decided it's best to stop doing business with Digital Homicide, so Digital Homicide sued Steam.

None of the lawsuits ever got anywhere, and now it looks like the developer has decided to shut down.

It does say he was suing 11 steam users not 100.  And they made like 140 untrue statements.  Yes everyone knows the difference between something that is untrue and something that is a difference of opinion.  Someone is lying in this lawsuit.  Maybe its the developers but why jump on a hate bandwagon without knowing for certain?  There is so little information about the details of this lawsuit.  Its easy to wrek a game based on the first 11 reviews on steam if they spout lies.  For example what if the first 11 reviewers said the game only runs on Linux, or it doesn't support wireless mouse, or english keyboards.  I know I wouldn't even attempt to try a game with 11 responses like that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited October 2016
    filmoret said:
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

It does say he was suing 11 steam users not 100.  And they made like 140 untrue statements.  Yes everyone knows the difference between something that is untrue and something that is a difference of opinion.  Someone is lying in this lawsuit.  Maybe its the developers but why jump on a hate bandwagon without knowing for certain?  There is so little information about the details of this lawsuit.  Its easy to wrek a game based on the first 11 reviews on steam if they spout lies.  For example what if the first 11 reviewers said the game only runs on Linux, or it doesn't support wireless mouse, or english keyboards.  I know I wouldn't even attempt to try a game with 11 responses like that.
    But none of your speculation is true. Not only that there is no longer any lawsuit to defend.

This is the epitome of beating a dead horse.
    filmoret said:
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

But none of your speculation is true. Not only that there is no longer any lawsuit to defend.

Does anyone have a link to support anything about this?
    Rhoklaw said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

Please tell me you work for Digital Homicide, because if you don't.... you should put in an application.
    Because asking questions to find out the truth is such a bad idea.  Get a grip and maybe wake up before criticizing someone for asking basic questions that noone appears able to answer.

This is what I've found and it appears he was trying to identify 11 reviewers who they believed were competetors and not consumers.  It would be the equivalent of Chris Roberts suing Derek Smart for all the stuff he's said and done.  Without the actual reviews in question its hard to draw a good conclusion.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/digitalhomicides/discussions/5/350543389011121647/
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Kefo said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:

Exactly.

That FPS game they made was utter garbage

Its going under because he shot himself in the foot (and the head) for going after valve and steam users and getting his games yanked. I'm sure he was making a decent profit off of people who didn't know his games were shit or who bought it for the lols because they are usually priced cheaply. Plus add in that trading cards were more then likely bringing in a nice profit it would have been smarter to just not have said anything at all.
    Talk about biting the hand that feeds; it's like some developers just have no common sense at all. What about suing customers of the company that is hosting your game of their own free will, allowing you to reach those customers in the first place? At the very least your game is going to get yanked from the distribution platform.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    filmoret said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Please tell me you work for Digital Homicide, because if you don't.... you should put in an application.
    Because asking questions to find out the truth is such a bad idea.  Get a grip and maybe wake up before criticizing someone for asking basic questions that noone appears able to answer.

This is what I've found and it appears he was trying to identify 11 reviewers who they believed were competetors and not consumers.  It would be the equivalent of Chris Roberts suing Derek Smart for all the stuff he's said and done.  Without the actual reviews in question its hard to draw a good conclusion.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/digitalhomicides/discussions/5/350543389011121647/

Honestly, they didn't need competitors to write bad reviews because their games were universally horrible. They were on the complete opposite end of the spectrum when it came to games development. Most developers try to make playable games that will garner a high score out of 10 where Digital Homicide OBVIOUSLY flipped that around and attempted to make completely unplayable games that would be reviewed as low as possible out of 10. Just take a look at the history of their games. I mean the information that you're looking for is completely inconsequential. I would be very surprised if ANY developer, even an indie developer, felt it was a good use of their time to hate on Digital Homicide. Honestly, my son has created more compelling games and he's just learning to develop, and I might almost be willing to say literally there, too. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

Watch the review by Jim Sterling and the subsequent back and forth between the developers and Sterling and you should be able to draw a conclusion. I think Jim also has some information about the steam user comments, or maybe someone posted them on this forum. 

Imo, if anyone should be punished legally, it is the devs themselves. They shouldn't be able to act up like this causing many people a lot of stress and pain, threatening and bullying, and then just run and hide behind closing down their company. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Tiller said:
    Iselin said:
    Maybe he should've used that as a marketing strategy "shitty games you don't want play" instead of fighting it. Worked for SyFy with their low budget crapfest "B" movies. I mean, look at Sharknado.
    Works in Germany too. These movies are running under the tag "Worst Movies Of All Times" and especially the Sharknado Trilogy has gained cult status.

Don't fight it - just go with it. There is a niche for every genre that wants to be filled.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited October 2016
    Knowing what the games in question are,this story only had value as pop corn time material, because of the audacity that company had,to claim they are actual game developers.

On the other hand,the fact that Valve lets sh"t like those games on their store,is 100% their wrong doing.
    I'd be ashamed to sell this crap "games" to anyone.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    filmoret said:
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

The case was dropped like a hot potato

I'd imagine a lawyer probably threw some reality into the picture, for them. Like an honest lawyer will. The rest is PR bullshit. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

YashaX said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Short version:

Watch the review by Jim Sterling and the subsequent back and forth between the developers and Sterling and you should be able to draw a conclusion. I think Jim also has some information about the steam user comments, or maybe someone posted them on this forum. 

Imo, if anyone should be punished legally, it is the devs themselves. They shouldn't be able to act up like this causing many people a lot of stress and pain, threatening and bullying, and then just run and hide behind closing down their company. 
    Yea I'm not saying either way who is in the wrong at this point.  Jim Sterling the guy who made a 10 hour video of himself licking a PS4.  LOL I don't think I can handle even trying to see him say anything.  But yea the devs did shoot themselves in the foot because they should have known Steam would pull their games once a lawsuit was filed.  That shows a lot of immaturity right there.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

You really might want to look into this before posting in defense of these guys.  No one lied about anything on the reviews that started this.  He felt like they were lies, when to everyone else they were not.  You can file a lawsuit for anything, at anytime, it is up to a court to decide if it was a case of Libel or not.  I can go right now and file a suit saying you disrespected me online and sue you, even though you haven't, and it could go all the way to trial.  These guys dropped their case because they didn't have a foot to stand on and knew they were screwed the moment they filed it.  They were most likely going to be counter sued and destroyed in court and lose everything they owned.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys I was in this this thread talking about something I didn't even do basic research on and keep misusing legal terms. Basically I only read the subject. Please post links or any evidence that somebody already posted so I can continue ignorning them and talking out my hind parts.

Keep going...

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Hey guys I was in this this thread talking about something I didn't even do basic research on and keep misusing legal terms. Basically I only read the subject. Please post links or any evidence that somebody already posted so I can continue ignorning them and talking out my hind parts.

Keep going...

That sums it up very nicely!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited October 2016
    Talonsin said:

Keep going...

That sums it up very nicely!
    Then please provide 1 link proving that Digital Homicide is wrong.  Well if its that fucking easy to do then someone do it already.  Otherwise quit being assholes.  And for the record I haven't defended shit.  Quit putting words in my mouth that I didn't say.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    filmoret said:
    YashaX said:
    filmoret said:

Yea I'm not saying either way who is in the wrong at this point.  Jim Sterling the guy who made a 10 hour video of himself licking a PS4.  LOL I don't think I can handle even trying to see him say anything.  But yea the devs did shoot themselves in the foot because they should have known Steam would pull their games once a lawsuit was filed.  That shows a lot of immaturity right there.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Ok, I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there. For someone who screams blue bloody murder about how there is a lack of accountability and transparency in gaming, specifically with regards to Star Citizen, I find it astonishingly hilarious how you somehow cut these guys a break when it's been proven that they are essentially creating copy/pasta games using Unity assets. This is where I said previously that I was SO close to being able to say that my son has literally created games more original. The only reason I can't is that he DOES make use of Unity assets. I can also tell you that by using those assets he has been able to create games of similar quality to what Digital Homicide has produced with, literally, zero training outside of some online courses (he's just started high school this year). 

So I would encourage you to go and do some research and see for yourself what all the hoopla is about with these games. One thing is for certain, if a company is producing, on average, more than 1 game a month and they are a company of fewer than 10 people, that's going to be a big fat red flag. Honestly, advocating for a developer like this REALLY hurts your credibility, especially when you launch continuous attacks against games like Star Citizen which are building complex games from the ground up.

That is unless what you're interested in seeing more of is copied, re-used game systems that are shot out like the diarrhea of gaming. If that's what you're looking for then keep going, please, I misunderstood your position.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------