Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$900k is Not Enough, $2-3M More Needed to Complete the Game - Chronicles of Elyria News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

image$900k is Not Enough, $2-3M More Needed to Complete the Game - Chronicles of Elyria News

The Chronicles of Elyria KickStarter page has been updated with the news that new fund raising strategies to bring three million more dollars into the development coffers. Soulbound's KickStarter project raised $900,000 but according to the update, the 'reality is

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Pay the baker a fee to bake the bread you gonna buy..

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Since when did gamers start funding indie companies with millions of dollars for a game before it's done? Oh wait, since Star Citizen. This is stupid, and I have no intention on helping supply them with MILLIONS to complete their indie MMO. That's ridiculous.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    To be fair, they're not saying they're going to KickStarter or any other crowd-funding source, but that they have their own plans. We'll see, I guess!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Not shocked, we all knew this was coming. My guess is 3 mill wont be enough as well. This project is more ambitious than this studio understands. If all you take from what they are doing, trying to make a MMO with dynamic story. That alone would be huge. 
  • modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Click bait title, YEAH!
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I understand the hesitancy to back games far from alpha, and if you are happy with what's out there right now great for you. While there are a lot of good games out there, even MMORPGs, I don't think there are any great or amazing games. There haven't been any improvements or breakthroughs for years, aside from basic graphic improvements. I'd rather support a project for a game with potential than shell out another $60 for another rehashed game with limited enjoyment. 
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Are they even sure that 3 Mil. is enough? Or is that yet another target to survive just enough for the next round of: find the investors? :p
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Tofke said:
    Are they even sure that 3 Mil. is enough? Or is that yet another target to survive just enough for the next round of: find the investors? :p
    My guess this is just one round of many. I think the 3 mill they need wont be enough to deliver the dynamic story they have promised, let alone everything else. 
  • belocbeloc Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited September 2016
    Not surprised at this. I am not a software developer however I have been a Network Engineer for 20+ years as well as a business owner and let me tell you, from a purely business perspective, $900k with what they are trying to accomplish is not even in the same realm as enough. He mentioned burn rate. If I had to guess, and yes its a guess, I bet he easily burns $80k-$100k a month. This would give them, with no additional funding, 9-10 months before money is needed. If you look at when the kickstarter ended we are about 3-4 months into that. So he has burned through 45% of his "initial" fund raising. Its about time he started looking for the "next" round.

Not faulting them. They are doing nothing "wrong". I am just simply stating a realistic view on this. I agree with DMKano. Even $2-$3 million is not enough.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Anyone that didn't see this coming is blind.  They promised the moon with a budget to buy a bottle rocket to send you there.
  • mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited September 2016
    So we have to pay them to make a game 3m what is will be full same as the other 30000000000 mmo on tha market nothing special and new, zero innovation. Hm save your money and dont make this game, much better and easier way.
    Or maybe hm i have many good idea, support me on kickstarter and I can make the game for sure much better then this one and I dont need 3m anyway.
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Wha wha whaaaaaaa. This game had unrealistic goals to begin with. 4 mill wouldn't be near enough.
  • LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I don't believe they have the business acumen to deliver what they are promising. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Lol, I could hear the screams while I was only half way through the title of the article.  Curious to know how many strokes have happened.

This is why I maintain that ppl should keep their excitement in check until close to game day.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So much stuff takes them by surprise. Creating a web page, funding, what's next?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited September 2016
    My Guest that they didn't get the outside investors needed to get the game done. So they asking for more money. Will take them a lot more then 3 mil to get this game done.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I'm really hating these companies ...

"It likely doesn't surprise anyone, but between employee salaries, contract fees, medical/dental insurance, license fees, software purchases, rent, other insurances, internet fees, hosting fees, computers and furniture, and taxes, the money won't last forever."

Here's a thought, figure this out BEFORE you kickstarter

This isn't that hard, we forecast costs all the time.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Sovrath said:

"It likely doesn't surprise anyone, but between employee salaries, contract fees, medical/dental insurance, license fees, software purchases, rent, other insurances, internet fees, hosting fees, computers and furniture, and taxes, the money won't last forever."

Sovrath said:

They have known all along, plan has always been to fund and build in successive rounds, likely the same with release, look for a MVP approach that is very lean in features.

They learn from watching how others do it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

mgilbrtsn said:

Lol, I could hear the screams while I was only half way through the title of the article.  Curious to know how many strokes have happened.

This is why I maintain that ppl should keep their excitement in check until close to game day.

I really doubt even their most arduant supporters are much surprised by this announcement.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Nanfoodle said:

Not shocked, we all knew this was coming. My guess is 3 mill wont be enough as well. This project is more ambitious than this studio understands. If all you take from what they are doing, trying to make a MMO with dynamic story. That alone would be huge. 

Exactly. I have been saying that all along (much to dismay of fanboys)

People just dont understand how complex and demanding these projects are. You know ambition and enthusiasm does maybe bakes bread but not provide flour.

And one note more. These 3 million, are not enough either. It will maybe be enough for alpha state , but not much beyond that. Pretty soon they will ask for more.

I really wish these games to succeed. But dreaming it will not help much.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Every single time an indie company promises some crazy in depth sandbox game and has some insanely low cost for how many systems the game has or how great it looks, I try to understand why they think they can do it with that little amount. It's either work for 15 years with a tiny team trying to make it happen off that small amount (ultimately failing because they overpromised) or they keep trying to raise money over and over to hire more people which might succeed if the games premise is enough to make people spend. I just can't give anything to kickstarters because who knows anymore what is actually going to be what it was supposed to. Just look at the awful mess that is Eternal Crusade right now. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Dragnelus said:
    Pay the baker a fee to bake the bread you gonna buy..
    It is not so strange like it sounds, Ferrari is made for you after you paid... Of course if the game is a Ferrari or a KIA is still up to anybodies guess.

I am not surprised that they need more money though, the project is rather ambitious and that cost money.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Hay man, nothing wrong with Kia's.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Is this the new trend? asking for unrealistically low amounts of money(low in terms of game development) knowing it will not be enough to fund a full featured mmorpg just to take money from people anyway?

Either they really don't understand how game development/costs work or they are flat out scamming people. I don't know what to believe. Maybe it just got over their head and thought they could make a AAA tier mmorpg without the funds/manpower of a AAA company. /facepalm