Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware Gets a New Leader, EA Worldwide Studios Formed - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBioware Gets a New Leader, EA Worldwide Studios Formed - General News

EA has placed several of its game studios under the banner of EA Worldwide Studios. Maxis and EA Mobile are now the foundation studios in EA Worldwide Studios with Patrick Soderlund taking the helm. In addition, EA announced that EA Senior Vice President Samantha Ryan is taking charge of Bioware.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I still miss what BW used to be. Wonder what will be left after this change.
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Remember the last time EA tried to dilute the BioWare brand with BioWare Victory and BioWare Mythic?

Because that worked so well : D
  • LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77

Nanfoodle said:

I still miss what BW used to be. Wonder what will be left after this change.

Just the name.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    Merge dem all baby! It shall all be a big messed up family squeezed in :D

@blueturtle13 you know that woman that was in charge of Maxis? That monster evil woman with her fake smile ruined SIMCITY. Oh the salt, NEVER FORGET!!!!

I'm still mentally recovering...  :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    You know how they have all of these games where you get to run a game development studio? There should be one where you play a publishing company whose job is to cancel, tear apart, or just generally ruin every good game idea and studio that comes around. EA could make it.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Which lady are you talking about? Lucy Bradshaw or Rachel Franklin?
    Bradshaw was the GM during that time and was kind of the face of the whole SimCity thing but she worked there for 23 years. Hardly fair to cast shade on a whole career over one game that she did not even produce.
    Yeah it was Lucy.

I mean it wasn't her fault, these people are pretty much pretty PR figures over what they really have of impact on the game itself, and EA's move currently seems to be of increasing that.

Now if what lead to the shutdown of Maxis after Simcity to be who's fault... That's more on company direction that while she was the Boss, I would think EA was pulling strings from the very top.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Frostbite is allowing EA to devolve games to multiple studios if needed. This organisational move, I suspect, is aimed at consolidating this. A model that UbiSoft use to great effect.

Since Andrew Wilson took over he has worked - with some success I feel - to transform EA's "sorry image". Hopefully this move will lead to great titles that will underscore the achievements so far.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

DMKano said:

Bioware is dead for all practical purposes (and I mean Bioware prior to EA) - EA is keeping the brand name but in reality they've been fully absorbed into EA.

:, (
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Samantha produced 'No One Lives Forever' great game. Good to see a woman in charge. Not enough in the industry in my opinion.
    Yeah because gender is always important when it comes to qualifications and leadership skills. At least they make up for the deficit in programmers and executives with cosplayers and community managers though. 
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited September 2016
    DMKano said:
    Bioware is dead for all practical purposes (and I mean Bioware prior to EA) - EA is keeping the brand name but in reality they've been fully absorbed into EA.

I think as games became more complex to make bio ware couldn't keep up with being a top brand. What they did to swtor was on them. 

They mismanaged development of swtor in trying to make a single player vs mmo to the point the engine was not developed properly for its intentions and purposes as an mmo. They were thinking of things like killing companions permanently for an mmo. The level of amateurishness towards their regard for something new seems to have affected them and instead of firing the bad people they chose the easier route and sold out to ea.

had they sold out earlier, swtor would probably have a better mmo engine and may be in that regard make it s better game. 

Swtor or is not a bad game, but for an mmo it's not great.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Samantha produced 'No One Lives Forever' great game. Good to see a woman in charge. Not enough in the industry in my opinion.
    All hail the new leader!
    What a great game that was. I'm excited about the future of Bioware. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I thought that horse was dead few years ago

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    DMKano said:

I think as games became more complex to make bio ware couldn't keep up with being a top brand. What they did to swtor was on them. 

They mismanaged development of swtor in trying to make a single player vs mmo to the point the engine was not developed properly for its intentions and purposes as an mmo. They were thinking of things like killing companions permanently for an mmo. The level of amateurishness towards their regard for something new seems to have affected them and instead of firing the bad people they chose the easier route and sold out to ea.

had they sold out earlier, swtor would probably have a better mmo engine and may be in that regard make it s better game. 

ESO seems to have made the same game engine work fine.

Actually ESO  does not currently use the Hero engine , but instead their own engine.

Link http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

You licensed HeroEngine a long time ago. What role did the Hero Engine play in the development of ESO?

We started ZeniMax Online from scratch, with no employees and no technology. We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. Our plan is for ESO to be a world class MMO, with the most advanced social features found in any MMO to date – so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development.

• OriginOfWavesOriginOfWaves Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Damn I can set a watch now to the "Bioware is dead", "only in name" folks that come out of the woodwork whenever a Bioware related article shows up on MMORPG. It's amazing really, better than setting you watch to the internet standard time for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    So they did all the scripting in the Hero Engine and transferred everything into their custom engine later. Hmm 
    That would explain this:
    http://static.elderscrollsonline.com/cs/kb/pdf/ESO_PC_MM_EN_digital.pdf

As they were going to use it but found it not suiting their needs so started creating from scratch.  Since the scripting actually could have been done on the Gamebryo engine that they use and has been used on MMOs before.

Thankfully they didn't go with HeroEngine for the actual game, just the prototyping.

The makers of HeroEngine are in such dire financial straits that their company had to shut down for a few months due to insufficient funding at the end of 2015. They somehow managed to find a new investor and resumed business, but it looks like a very shaky proposition.

If I was a MMO developer, I certainly wouldn't risk the future of my game on a engine that is barely surviving in the market. That's not a good bet for future development and enhancements.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    DMKano said:

I believe in some of the same aspects as you. I think that the biggest down fall of Bioware was that in the beginning EA pretty much gave them  a blank check to develop their games for them and in the case of SWTOR that was their undoing. Because of having large pockets of cash at their disposal for their projects meant they now took bigger risks than they would of normally done had they of been their own company.  If it wasn't for having bigger pockets Bioware would not of allowed themselves to be seduced by a demonstration of the untried Hero engine.

But, the engine alone was not the sole reason as to why  SWTOR did not meet expectation.Along with that was the artwork, story and class development that was lacking initially. Remember how we all thought that Wouldn't it be great if Bioware made a story driven MMO? And now we know that in hindsight the answer is yes and no.  SWTOR did not need to have every single  interaction with a NPC  done with CGI animation. It made for slow game play when you were in a group of people and actually created a the solo centric aspect of the game . While a lot of us  enjoy that kind of story others were just spacebarring right on through it. The only story that needed CGI were the class story and planetary/main type stories. Fetch quest type quests could of been handled with a simple pop up type window like they have now which really is superior to the way it was before. Simply put Bioware could of used the resources that was spent on CGI in other areas of the game  instead of wasting it on 100% CGI interactions.

Unfortunately for SWTOR  Visceral games under EA is developing a new Star Wars IP and while that does not mean the death of SWTOR it surely wont help it. Biowares future seems to be looking good for f the  Dragon Age and the Mass Effect series along with their hopes for their secret IP they have yet to announce since they are pouring more dollars into those projects than  they are with SWTOR.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    So they did all the scripting in the Hero Engine and transferred everything into their custom engine later. Hmm 
    That would explain this:
    http://static.elderscrollsonline.com/cs/kb/pdf/ESO_PC_MM_EN_digital.pdf

As they were going to use it but found it not suiting their needs so started creating from scratch.  Since the scripting actually could have been done on the Gamebryo engine that they use and has been used on MMOs before.

Thankfully they didn't go with HeroEngine for the actual game, just the prototyping.

The makers of HeroEngine are in such dire financial straits that their company had to shut down for a few months due to insufficient funding at the end of 2015. They somehow managed to find a new investor and resumed business, but it looks like a very shaky proposition.

If I was a MMO developer, I certainly wouldn't risk the future of my game on a engine that is barely surviving in the market. That's not a good bet for future development and enhancements.
    Yeah it makes since but I still don't know why they just didn't use the Gamebryo engine they are so familiar with and use in almost all their games. It has been used in many MMOs. I guess they were looking for particular things for the engine to do that they felt needed it's own engine. Which is not what they are known for. Interesting none the less.
    Gamebryo engine does not have a native networking layer and good network programmers are hard to come by. Plus Beth's version of the gamebryo engine (Creation Engine) is very old in some of it's core code and it's age is causing some obvious ailing in it's titles. Trying to overhaul that engine to make it functional for an MMO would be almost impossible and you might as well just make an entirely new engine. Bethesda's skills at such is pretty finite, and that's part of why Zenimax created an entirely new studio with a team that could build out an engine which would actually be capable of the task.

That's part of why you see Bioware's forays into multiplayer titles pretty spotty as well, like their own Aurora Engine which they built for Neverwinter Nights, while scalable, was a pretty cumbersome engine and did not update well, which saw the removal of the networking layer in the next version of the engine.

To do a good networking layer is pretty hard, and a good networking programmer capable of solving the massive scaling issues that MMOs face even more so. Trying to re-purpose pre-existing and old engines to the task is an added layer of challenge that is generally not worth the effort.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Bakgrind said:
    DMKano said:
    <snip>

Unfortunately for SWTOR  Visceral games under EA is developing a new Star Wars IP and while that does not mean the death of SWTOR it surely wont help it. Biowares future seems to be looking good for f the  Dragon Age and the Mass Effect series along with their hopes for their secret IP they have yet to announce since they are pouring more dollars into those projects than  they are with SWTOR.

Even more fundamental: SWTOR - as discussed - does not use Frostbite.

EA moved to an internal engine - adding to its capabilities as required - when they realised they could not afford to develop or adapt a new engine for every game. The Hero engine will have added support costs in addition to whatever licence agreement (fees) they have.

And internally would you rather work on a game using Frostbite (EA wide, growing, supported) or ..... the Hero engine. Well someone close to retirement might look at SWTOR but for most it will be seen as as sunset project; old tech, going nowhere, added support costs etc.

So once the new game is out - and since it will be able to use all the assets developed for SW BF and the scripting stuff developed for Dragon Age etc. that should be sooner rather than later (40% reductions in development time on average have been mentioned as a result of Frostbite) I to would expect SWTOR to be wound down.