Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you care about approval of your peers?

somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
edited September 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
By "likes" I mean the various proxy "thumbs up" options on this site. Do they matter to you or not? Please read below before proudly protesting your aloofness; because it is likely to ring untrue. 

Honest answers only please; no pretences not to care what other people think, of course you care, it is part of being human. So please none of the evasive, or pseudo self-effacing nonsense about not caring about other people's opinions.  

My concern with this system is quite simple: it creates a social stigma that stifles honesty, and rewards mindless conformity. It basically silences dissent, individual opinion, or honest criticism via subtle and insidious form of censorship. 

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Can't tell if serious... 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited September 2016
    If you disagree with me then you're not only wrong but you're lying about and to yourself.
    Can't tell yet if Kopogero alt or not.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    There is afaik no downvoting fuction, so I don't see OP's problem as relevant to this forum.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited September 2016
    No. Actually, I almost never use the system. Strangely (!), I sometimes feel guilty when I don't because someone else votes for me.

But I would rather my comments and the people's comments that disagree with me rest not on how much fanfare exist for them, but instead rest on their merits.

But like I said, I rarely click agree or awesome if I think a post is extra special to me.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I disagree that it silence dissents any more than it does when people pile on a poster that has an argument that differs completely, its not like people use it in the same fashion that people on reddit use it.

On the other hand I find that the different positive aspects is a good thing, first it allows you to recognize that your point might not be totally crazy and that someone appreciate your posting. While certain people use the lol wrong, sometimes its actually good to know when your own point is kinda backward and stupid.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    By "likes" I mean the various proxy "thumbs up" options on this site. Do they matter to you or not? Please read below before proudly protesting your aloofness; because it is likely to ring untrue. 

Honest answers only please; no pretences not to care what other people think, of course you care, it is part of being human. So please none of the evasive, or pseudo self-effacing nonsense about not caring about other people's opinions.  

My concern with this system is quite simple: it creates a social stigma that stifles honesty, and rewards mindless conformity. It basically silences dissent, individual opinion, or honest criticism via subtle and insidious form of censorship.

So this isn't a question so much as a demand for me to approve of your opinion based on the approval I either need or don't need from my peers opinions because of a system of reaction buttons indicating pseudo approval?

I am thoroughly impressed.

edited September 2016
    Aelious said:

So this isn't a question so much as a demand for me to approve of your opinion based on the approval I either need or don't need from my peers opinions because of a system of reaction buttons indicating pseudo approval?

I think that's harsh. I mean, why else do these buttons exist besides approval? Especially on a site where there is no such thing as a dislike.

He is asking whether or not these buttons matter to you. You are arguing that he has cornered that you to admit that that you agree with people based on "agree, awesome, insightful, lol" clicks. I'm just not sure that those things are adequate.

I think they stated that the reason why there isn't a disagree button is because they are afraid of trolling. What about pseudo un-approval?
    Post edited by BeansnBread on
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Grunty said:
    If you disagree with me then you're not only wrong but you're lying about and to yourself.

Only that last paragraph really makes me think it is that account.  Then again I am one of those people who goes out of his way to be nice and collect likes. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
     BeansnBread said:
    Aelious said:

I think that's harsh. I mean, why else do these buttons exist besides approval? Especially on a site where there is no such thing as a dislike.

He is asking whether or not these buttons matter to you. You are arguing that he has cornered that you to admit that that you agree with people based on "agree, awesome, insightful, lol" clicks. I'm just not sure that those things are adequate.

I think the sated reason why there isn't a disagree button is because they are afraid of trolling. What about pseudo un-approval?

Removing the first two paragraphs of the OP would have been a good start to having a decent conversation. It was very passive-aggressive and took away a feeling of wanting an actual answer. To me it felt like a trap to be honest and I thought relating my feeling of a bait and switch, in a playful way, was the way to go.

You however related it great so I'll answer you ;). The buttons honestly make no difference to me. As a forum this is a medium already intended to have open dialog, that can either be in agreement or disagreement, and the buttons to me are a way for those typically silent to chime in without forming a textual response.

As a side note the LOL button can be used as a disagree response depending on the context.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    This reeks of Kopogero. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    Aelious said:
     BeansnBread said:
    Aelious said:

I think the sated reason why there isn't a disagree button is because they are afraid of trolling. What about pseudo un-approval?

Removing the first two paragraphs of the OP would have been a good start to having a decent conversation. It was very passive-aggressive and took away a feeling of wanting an actual answer. To me it felt like a trap to be honest and I thought relating my feeling of a bait and switch, in a playful way, was the way to go.

You however related it great so I'll answer you ;). The buttons honestly make no difference to me. As a forum this is a medium already intended to have open dialog, that can either be in agreement or disagreement, and the buttons to me are a way for those typically silent to chime in without forming a textual response.

As a side note the LOL button can be used as a disagree response depending on the context.

Yeah, you know. I Agree.

Except.. I think the LOL button should be removed completely. If that is the nebulous disagree button that everyone agrees is a disagree button, then... wtf? Seriously. Is it a SJW move to avoid people feeling sad? I don't get it. Why would we have a button that is in disagreement, not say disagree? Does it  not make people feel sad anyway?

It seems really, really, awful to me.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

the people here are not my peers. . .but rather adversaries. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited September 2016
    Nevermind .
    Post edited by kitarad on

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited September 2016
    You're obviously new to the site. No one conforms to the same opinions on this site since the implementation of the system.

Forum PvP is still excellent here and is no different to when the system didn't exist.
    Post edited by immodium on

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    Grunty said:
    We'll know it if he makes another "we all agree the state of mmos is bad and we need to go back to x" topic more than once in a week.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Yeah, you know. I Agree.

Except.. I think the LOL button should be removed completely. If that is the nebulous disagree button that everyone agrees is a disagree button, then... wtf? Seriously. Is it a SJW move to avoid people feeling sad? I don't get it. Why would we have a button that is in disagreement, not say disagree? Does it  not make people feel sad anyway?

It seems really, really, awful to me.
    I use LOL when something is funny. It could be funny because it was humorous or funny because it was ridiculous. Never really considered it a dislike button and I hope the people that posted something humorous didn't take my LOLs that as such. :) 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Of course people do.  It's what makes society.  Everyone likes a bit of acknowledgement.  That even goes for those who only like it when they are being asses.

I self identify as a monkey.

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    lol, social media in whole is more of a cancer to society, where every kid can act like a douche bag and think they're cool and all. You got some shining moments out of social media but not enough to justify the need of still having it around.  The internet, let alone social media, are still young, not even 30 years old yet in the typical house hold. Yet it's easier for non educated people and morons to get on to social media than finishing high school.  The more social media crap keeps spreading, the more I miss the 90's, hell even the 80's.  Damn texting everywhere is pissing me off, people texting while driving, in the restaurant, at the movie lightning up the whole room.  It's like the parents teach their kids the fine art of texting before teaching them how to live properly and that is already starting to cost us a lot in the manufacturing industry, not because of not having enough jobs, but because our young "texters" can't even last half a shift anymore.  The generation coming our way 20 years from now won't be pretty, they think their ipads / iphones are made out of thin air. 

But still, social media is in a better place than One Man's Lie.  ;)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Silence, green person. Your dissent is not permitted. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    You eventually reach the stage where the likes, dislikes and opinions of a bunch of total strangers typing on a web forum really, really don't matter.  I reached that stage decades ago.  It's more of a young person thing to worry about trivialities like approval and disapproval from people you don't know, will never meet and care less about.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I have no peers

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I kinda just like having a large post count. Also seeing how long I've been a member of something. Likes and dislikes don't really matter all that much to me. I do want to get a blue account name just because I like blue more than green, but I don't go out of my way to do that. You are also kind of being presumptuous saying we are lying if we don't go for those. Not everyone has to do the same thing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Couldn't care less about that stuff.
    I ALWAYS listen to everyone's opinions and i like to decipher how different types of gamer's and people think,but in the end,i have been around a very long time,been there ,done that so i am quite satisfied with my decisions,thought process over weather anyone else agrees or disagrees.
    I am like that in every facet of life,i never care about petty things,i often get upset in real life when i see people lose it over VERY minute reasons.

Example ..I witnessed a store manager lose it on the female employee because she spilled her coffee on the floor,i mean he was angry,lips quivering,i swear he wanted to beat her.So i stepped up and said ...buddy there are more important things in life to worry about than a spilled rink on the floor.he did not respond but i doubt i had any impact,the angry manager will likely get angry again over petty reasons.

It is the very reason i scoff at THIS SITES agenda like "pointing fingers" or their rules that seem to favor the ANGERED over the other.IMO if you cannot control your anger,YOU are responsible and no site or person shoudl lay blame anywhere else than yourself.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

While clearly true, it isn't quite so simple. 

The system simply models human society. We ostracize those with dissenting opinions constantly. We eschew honest criticism when it conflicts with something as mundane as social niceties. We wall off certain opinions through positive and negative selection. The system as a whole rewards mindless conformity with social acceptance.

Weve called this tribalism, nationalism, religion, etc. Yes, the few who see this try to break out but the mass of humanity has so far failed to gain its feet...

I for one suspect we'll fail and die. But I've always been an optimist (from the perspective of the aliens we'd exploit should we succeed).
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    How does a person clicking on "agree" to a post silence dissent?  I dont think a single person here has every wanted to post a conflicting opinion but then decisded not to based on the number of "agrees" in the original post. 

If you want proof, check out DMKano.  He is one of the highest ranking people on this site based on the thumbs up stuff and people are always posting conflicting opinions with him. 

Who the heck even looks at that stuff?  I guess now that I looked, they should add a "moron" or "holy crap this guy has a limited view" option...

=)
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD