Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ten reasons why ESO is the best current MMORPG...

somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
I'll keep it as short as possible: -
  1. It has a great IP incorporating ideas from quality single player games and interesting lore. 
  2. The world is deep and immersive. 
  3. The quests are intricately crafted with interesting NPC's. 
  4. The phasing creates a changing world as you progress; you can witness the consequences to your actions. 
  5. You do not sit in a hub town waiting for the group finder tool to pop. 
  6. The combat, and the combat options (incorporating a limited skill bar and extensive customisation options) allow the greatest freedom since GW1. 
  7. It looks pretty. 
  8. The cash shop is relatively unobtrusive. 
  9. It has a huge amount of content; many hours of quests and little requirement to repeat the same content over and over in the desperate need to earn some trinket. 
  10. It is a game on the rise; it is not an ageing, waning game that has seen better days and is fighting against attrition of its playerbase.  
  11. and as a bonus... it is releasing regular content... 

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I find the game mind numbingly boring.  A themepark quest grinder to the core.  Limited freedom, no free aim in combat, no auction house mechanic.  It is as if they did everything half way.  Well we like action combat but no way we can give them true free aim.  Dull itemization, no risk vs reward.  

Now it is not the worst linear quest hub themepark out there, but damn is it a snoozefest.   
  • somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Mardukk said:
    I find the game mind numbingly boring.  A themepark quest grinder to the core.  Limited freedom, no free aim in combat, no auction house mechanic.  It is as if they did everything half way.  Well we like action combat but no way we can give them true free aim.  Dull itemization, no risk vs reward.  

Now it is not the worst linear quest hub themepark out there, but damn is it a snoozefest.   
    dam, I should have added that as No. 12
  • ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    After 2 years of playing I can double your list in cons. I did it in another thread around here but I'm not going to again. Glad your enjoying yourself..but as Mardukk said..it's boring. Perhaps because the game just got too damn easy. Perhaps it's the 4 classes. Whatever it is, I finally folded..

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Yeah but easy doesnt seem to affect most gamers in 2016....Most just want to be entertained not challenged.
    Yeah but easy doesnt seem to affect most gamers in 2016....Most just want to be entertained not challenged.
    Which would you rather? 

a) to be entertained but not challenged. 
    b) to be challenged but not entertained. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Love ESO also.   Good thing since it will probably be the last huge PvE themepark game we will see for a long time, forever?   Market seems geared towards MOBA's, mobile games, and survival/PvP gankfest games.
  • ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I'd prefer at least a happy medium. Truth is if I want to be entertained I turn on a movie. I'm not saying a game isn't supposed to be entertaining but If I'm not challenged much it's  like a bad movie and I change the channel.

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    edited September 2016
    Which would you rather? 

Entertained via challenges. They're not mutually exclusive. Take lessons from the Souls series.
    lufiaz said:
    Which would you rather? 

Entertained via challenges. They're not mutually exclusive. Take lessons from the Souls series.
    Exactly true, most games provide a mixture of both; most detractors choose to ignore challenge and decry entertainment. 
    edited September 2016
    Question for the OP:   You say you can see a changing world as you progress.  Isn't that seen other themepark games such as WoW and LOTRO?   How is it different in ESO.  Not sure what you mean by phasing allows you to see it.  Admittedly, I havent played a character through all the content yet so I might not have reached this phasing you talk about yet. 
    flizzer said:
    Question for the OP:   You say you can see a changing world as you progress.  Isn't that seen other themepark games such as WoW and LOTRO?   How is it different in ESO.  Not sure what you mean by phasing allows you to see it.  Admittedly, I havent played a character through all the content yet so I might not have reached this phasing you talk about yet. 
    ...phasing happens after many quests. As in you shift to a different phase where the world shifts around you. Yes WOW does something similar (but honestly, that game was broken for me around WOTLK so not too interested); but ESO does it more intricately and more subtly, it happens on a small and brilliantly immersive level. 
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Which would you rather? 

I can watch a 2 hour film and be entertained without it being challenging. I prefer to be entertained. If it's too challenging, I can spend precious time achieving little and really feel my time is wasted.

Family, kids, friends, hobbies and a business means I want to play for an hour or two and get somewhere.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I will agree here. No other modern MMO gives you more customization in what armor to wear, or what weapons to use, what othe skill lines to pick. What abilities to train, what to skip..etc. 

Deep and immersive. What makes me laugh are those that will come in and say played two and a half years, it's not that good. Well it gave you two and a half years of entertainment so far...it must have something. 
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Scripted without real freedom. Best mmo? Maybe. It only tells you how the rest of games are.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Those seem like pretty good reasons, and I'm half tempted to try it again, but then I remember how much I disliked the combat.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    Those seem like pretty good reasons, and I'm half tempted to try it again, but then I remember how much I disliked the combat.
    Same. It's a huge turnoff, especially early on. ESO has quite possibly the most mind-numbing low level experience of any MMO I've ever played - and I've played some stinkers. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its a game thats far from new, and has had a fairly 'rocky road', and while the OP's list is an opinion, its probably one that not everyone will agree with.
    As soon as you feel you have to persuade people they should be playing a game, its kind of admitting to yourself that people don't want to.
    ESO is a bit yesterday, though there is nothing wrong with old games, any shine that ESO may have had, faded long ago, perhaps when/if they make ESO 2 they will allow players to choose a race, and then develope their character from there, the same way they do in regular Elder Scrolls games, rather than the absurd choices of sorcerer, dragon knight or whatever it was, and nightblade etc. I know Zenimax and Bethesda are different, but you would have thought that Zenimax would at least have conferred with Bethesda a bit more, perhaps if they had the game wouldn't have been released with so many inconsistencies, and perhaps have a magic system that didn't rely on holding a certain type of staff etc.
    All told there are more than enough reasons not to play ESO, the main reason, is that although its an Elder Scrolls game, its frustratingly not in the most important aspects of the Elder Scrolls IP.
    DMKano said:
    flizzer said:
    Love ESO also.   Good thing since it will probably be the last huge PvE themepark game we will see for a long time, forever?   Market seems geared towards MOBA's, mobile games, and survival/PvP gankfest games.

Bless online would disagree about ESO being the last huge themepark mmo.
    Good to know.   I had heard about Bless but don't really know much about it.  Need to look in to it now.  Didn't realize it was considered a themepark MMO. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    ESO was fun for a couple months. Last time logged in I think I played about 10 minutes before the boredom kicked in.  :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited September 2016
    Strongly disagree. I tried it over and over again. And as much as I like the Elder Scrolls lore I hate the game itself. It is one of the most boring mmos out there for me.
  • GenetikCodeGenetikCode Member UncommonPosts: 48
    The games.. ok. But the most hated thing about ESO is the looong installation, it takes ages, download, patch, download, patch etc etc. think i gave up after about 3hrs of this on a new pc.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It sure has warts but for some reason I keep trying others (Archage, BDO, etc.) and keep coming back to this one.

What I like most about it is that it's two very different games in one:

1. You can chill solo questing or grouping occasionally in PVE to run dungeons... do it for 15 minutes or a couple of hours.
    2. Or you can go into a PVP campaign and play in groups with voice chat all day long if you want an old-fashioned, group-based MMORPG experience.
    I feel bad for the PVP-phobic who have never tried the second game. IMO, it's the better game of the two.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    ESO pvp? Its beyond broken... not playable at all.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.