Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the death of Divergence Online

blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

well, after taking peoples money, and giving little if any return, here is the new game news for Divergence:Online

http://imgur.com/a/Np9sa

So pretty much putting DO on back burner, to make more money. He was awash with giddy girl feelings when DO green lighted, and said how much it helped to developing the game, although, in game little progress was ever noted...mostly bug fixes, that caused other bugs. Now it's, and I quote "tuff Shit" to the players who don't like it. yea, and he'll censor you by ungrouping you from their FB page, because he said " he doesn't get paid enough for this kind of abuse".  Which is pretty much why I have to post elsewhere about my displeasure of the new direction. Anyway, he cant censor us here, so post if you have an opinion about it. Company name is Stained Glass LLama, lead developer (only developer) Ethan Casner. TBH, not sure why Steam is even letting him green light this, but I sounded the alarm, cant do more than that can I  :|

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
Games being watched:  Project Genom
Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

Comments

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    wow, no comments...cant believe it was on most hyped mete for weeks at top and near top, yet no one commented?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I thought this game had died and been resurrected more than once and then the developer came on here and started insulting people.  Or is that some other game?   
  • blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    edited August 2016

lol, just trying to warn, as they're making a bid in green light again for the new money making scheme..here is a section from greenlight  site

quote Hardhex" Making this prequel was more of a choice of the players of Divergence: Online than it was our choice -

About half Divergence: Online's players didn't want the modern "survival" aspect in that game, so we removed it and gave

it it's own standalone game so that Divergence: Online players don't have to deal with hunger/thirst/etc if they don't

want to."

total bull...no one was asked if they wanted it, in fact, when you tried to put it in game, a lot of dissenting voices

said it didn't fit...so ethan wanted to do this, and so this is the outcome of HIS want, not the game community

please note, there were about 4 online active players.

@ Flizzer ...lol, yes same game...the producer is so crude and unprofessional, you can see he says "tuff shit" to players who don't like it, in the link I put of their game load-in screen with message. not much of a producer either, more of a starter of games, not so much producing and finishing one.

they are actively removing any post they deem unliked, just like removing me from FB group because I was dissatisfied and said so. so you may not see some posts there, just good ones.  lol  I'm doing this because I refuse to be silenced by them.

if you folks know of any more popular mmo sites that dvertise and review games, please list them for me, to "be heard"  :)

oh, and thanks Vardahoth, I try them as well.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

they are actively removing any post they deem unliked, just like removing me from FB group because I was dissatisfied and said so. so you may not see some posts there, just good ones.  lol  I'm doing this because I refuse to be silenced by them.

There is no "they" or "them" in this scam, there's only "he" or "him". Ethan Castner is the sole beneficiary of any funds that are donated to his various fundraising schemes.

Looks like he's figured out a way to "crowdfund" his entire lifestyle, lol
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    That is proof that anyone can roll a pile of crap together, add in a 'feature' list, and get it on Steam. It really is dismaying that crap was on Steam. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Didn't mmorpg have an interview with the dude or whatever last year?
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Was this the one that had the interface straight up ripped off of SWG. Claimed to be the next SWG?  If so then I can not say I am suprised that they / he took the money and ran. Ripped off assets from other games called it his own.. People gave him money and then he up and quiet..  Called that one back in the day..
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    dont people get arrested for scams anymore?
    The real problem is that people do not know how to read. People are pretty much 'donating' to all of these crowdfunded projects, not actually investing. Paying for things when it gets released, if it gets released. There's no guarantee that the project has to ever be released or finished though.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited August 2016
    flizzer said:
    I thought this game had died and been resurrected more than once and then the developer came on here and started insulting people.  Or is that some other game?   

You are correct. Most these folks must have missed the first debacle of this developer, and all played here on this site years ago when he posted pre-rendered screen shots of a game he wanted to make, but didn't make and claimed it was an actual game all so he could get a forum and game slot here. He then went on to verbally abuse the staff here after a member was able to prove his "game" was fake; he then claimed he would never deal with MMORPG.com again.

Fast forward 2 years later he begged and pleaded for a spot on the site after he was able to prove there was a game, by then the damage was done and none of us regulars even gave this crap game a second look. He started posting pics of his trashed out office building he rented in the screen shots section, would rage towards other members here on the forums that dissed his lack of progress the list goes on.

He was able to 'borrow" money from a few guys who help co-found his little studio; and later pushed them out of the project, never paying them back or giving them credit for anything. I think they called him out after they figured out this guy was just full of himself, and it was all a pipe dream and he had no idea how to run a business. The writing was on the wall with this one folks, long ago. I'm kinda surprised he made it to steam with this, yet not. He was a good bull*****er afterall.

It also didn't help they didn't listen to anyone, and would ban people and lock threads they didn't agree with.

Someone should warn these poor souls https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727416555

Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    He always resurfaces at some point during the year, scam enough money to live off for a while, then mess around with his game until its time for more living expenses.  People continue to fall for this scam.  
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    there really should be some sort of idiotproof forced warnings on charity like this. I did not give this scam money, but when a company is using a big blockbuster name like divergent, there are alot of younger girls who don't normally play mmo that might get all hyped and wanna throm money on screen.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    dont people get arrested for scams anymore?
    Sadly no. When you rob a store you get 20 to life. When you rob a pension fund you get a fat bonus. This is the world we live in. Unless you steal from the rich like Bernie Madoff did, this is when they get your arse in prison.

Same in gaming, there are many "scams" out there selling as good games. But I don't mind, I'm ok with losing 20$ every now and then, its not like I waste thousands on games monthly. I'm ok since there are cool ideas out there that can't get enough traction from all the wannabe AAA titles pushed by big companies. Games were made by gamers for gamers and now they are made by businessmen for the masses. This is why 90% of the games look like keeping up with the Kardashians show.

Don't lose hope my fellow gamers:)

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Never donated, but his idea always sounded nice, and he showed some cool videos , also he got that calming voice perfect for scamming. 

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Year Zero is a heart-wrenching dystopian concept album by Trent Reznor, not a MMO engine by Ethan Castner.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Looks too much like a been there done that version of Fallen Earth, all the way down to the 2009 engine. Maybe he's not done ripping off other MMOs?

Tiller said:

You are correct. Most these folks must have missed the first debacle of this developer, and all played here on this site years ago when he posted pre-rendered screen shots...

Was that the 2006 fakes or a later one? Someone should make a timeline of this stuff, because it looks like we've got a whole new chapter of this story about to unfold soon. 

Here's some of the high level stuff: 

2006 - used other people's art and called it his own

2008 - charged $50 for "early access to patch notes"

2013 - Kickstarter Campaign #1 - Collected $19,626
    Successful only thru some creative funding efforts

2013 - IndieGoGo Campaign #2 - Collected $24,259 

2015 - IndieGoGo Campaign #2 - Collected $7,108

2016 (Jan) - Divergence Online goes live on Steam

2016 (Jan) - Divergence Online removed from Steam
    And the usual "the problem is everything except me" rant

2016 (Aug) - Asks people to help greenlight "Divergence: Year Zero" so he can start collecting Early Access money on the new title

This review sums up both Ethan and his game. 

edited August 2016

LynxJSA said:
    Tiller said:

You are correct. Most these folks must have missed the first debacle of this developer, and all played here on this site years ago when he posted pre-rendered screen shots...

Was that the 2006 fakes or a later one? Someone should make a timeline of this stuff, because it looks like we've got a whole new chapter of this story about to unfold soon. 

Here's some of the high level stuff: 

2006 - used other people's art and called it his own

2008 - charged $50 for "early access to patch notes"

2013 - Kickstarter Campaign #1 - Collected $19,626
    Successful only thru some creative funding efforts

2013 - IndieGoGo Campaign #2 - Collected $24,259 

2015 - IndieGoGo Campaign #2 - Collected $7,108

2016 (Jan) - Divergence Online goes live on Steam

2016 (Jan) - Divergence Online removed from Steam
    And the usual "the problem is everything except me" rant

2016 (Aug) - Asks people to help greenlight "Divergence: Year Zero" so he can start collecting Early Access money on the new title

This review sums up both Ethan and his game. 

lol that was a trip down memory lane.
     here's another http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/91899/question-integrity-of-those-screens/p1

another fit he threw here http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/233412/we-give-up-on-mmorpg-com-divergence/p1

SWG Bloodfin vet

edited September 2016
    Ok now he has gone and criticized the work on Dual Universe, and stated that they have mislead people?  I just happened to be watching this video and reading the comments, and  was like "wait, wtf is he on about?" This guy needs to just stop.

"Obviously anyone in this situation uses octree or quadtree at the very least, but there's a reason why "not everyone" uses it, just like there's a reason why they go out of their way to never say the exact words "Yes this is actually taking place on the actual server and it isn't the same PC i'm running this client on"; Because this is in-fact, a local test. It's being handled "on the server" only to the extent that the server is... the same one pc he's also running this client on, ergo the abysmal FPS. Running a client and server on the same endpoint results in virtually zero latency since network traffic only has to travel through the computers FSB and not through thousands of miles of internet bottlenecks but it is anything in the world but a "real test" because of that. I've given these dudes a huge amount of latitude out of professional courtesy and never posted one negative comment on their videos, but shit's getting out of hand. I understand the needs for exposure better than anyone else and the desire to "showcase" what it is you're selling worded in a way that drives controversy, but at the point you start intentionally misleading people for the sake of views, that's when you've gone too far."

That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    As long as we keep falling for this nonsense it will only inspire more people to do it. Stop giving money to these upstart developers and it will die off. I can't think of a single crowd funded MMORPG that has been successful beyond raising a lot of money only to end up in a cycle of development hell that leads to a mess of a game at release if there even is one at all. The only winners are the shady developers that are pretty much just freeloading off of the money they collect while delivering very little for it.

People need to start disputing charges and getting their money back on this stuff. Crowdfunding is NOT a donation. These are not charities, they are selling you a product. If you don't receive the product you purchased, then you have every right to a full refund. Merchants pay a hefty fee when people do charge backs and there is no time limit on them. I have done this a few times already and won my claims every time. I have no patience for scam artists and fortunately my bank agrees with me. I am a customer, not an investor. Crowdfunding is nothing more than a pre-order. 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited September 2016
    Steam should filter these bad games better!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited September 2016
    I don't know about this game, but I am wondering why devs don't make a good mmo.

If you make a good MMO game, people will (probably) come.

Unless, ofc, people have better things to do, but that would probably exclude all gaming entirely.
    I don't know about this game, but I am wondering why devs don't make a good mmo.

Because they hate you.
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    How about: They hate themselves. I like that phrase better. :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This is scandalous !! Has no one held him accountable ?