Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For the Un-hyped, A Wonderful Exploratory Experience - No Man's Sky Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFor the Un-hyped, A Wonderful Exploratory Experience - No Man's Sky Review

No Man’s Sky is a hard game to quantify. I mean, we initially included it on MMORPG’s list because we (along with many others) expected it to be a multiplayer experience akin to say Elite: Dangerous. But as launch drew closer, we began to realize that No Man’s Sky is indeed a single-player experience.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Bill - Good Article and I could not agree more. It is a good game with times where you try to sit for a half hour of time and 2 will go by, and you still want to get to that Transmission Tower that is only a few minutes away. Yes the game is not for everyone. Hard core PVP fans and adrenaline gaming junkies will not like it at all.
    I am enjoying my time in game and do not care if I do or do not see another player .. I enjoy the exploration and thrill of discovery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Not a bad review but I find your rating pretty low, the game is every bit of what it promised it would be. The problem is the players that hyped this game into something it never claimed to be. I personally would have held the rating until after Monday's patch.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    The difference between P:Go and NMS in terms of "multiplayer" is that in Pokemon multiple players on their phones will see a rare creature in the same location virtually and affect each other directly based on their real world location, making it an interactive experience:

In No Man's Sky, two players sitting across the country may be in the same spot virtually, but will not see each other, will not see creatures in the same location, etc.  NMS even allows you to pause the game.

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Sounds like a game for grandpa. All cosied up with his plaid blanket and flask of tea playing NMS while nodding off at regular intervals.

Nice to see devs catering for a new type of gamer.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    everytime I see NMS and Elite Dangerous side by side I think NMS is a game for childern

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    It looks like an ok game. Gameplay looks very repetitive though and a little too consolish. It definately is not worth 60$. Maybe 20-30 max. At least for me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2016
    Game is a solid 8 for me. I am an explorer at heart and this game scratches that itch for me. The game runs like a dream for me ( I think my i7 and new 1080 help with that) and I have logged over 40 hours already and have only warped twice. I love this game and I think it will only get better.
    I can honestly understand the frustration others may have with performance. The features that are in are fine enough right now for me. I am exploring alien language and am having a grand time.
    In all fairness we have to -1 your review scores as you tend to be on the overly optimistic and positive side of things and sort of enjoy practically anything. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I think the score is lower due to buzz on forums and the internet. this game is more like a solid 8 if you only took it for what it is.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The difference between P:Go and NMS in terms of "multiplayer" is that in Pokemon multiple players on their phones will see a rare creature in the same location virtually and affect each other directly based on their real world location, making it an interactive experience:

In No Man's Sky, two players sitting across the country may be in the same spot virtually, but will not see each other, will not see creatures in the same location, etc.  NMS even allows you to pause the game.

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

My comparison was meant to be Pokemon Snap. Fixing. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

I think the score is lower due to buzz on forums and the internet. this game is more like a solid 8 if you only took it for what it is.
    I know this makes some people very upset but I see it literally the least best space exploration with planetary landing option in the market today

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    I know this makes some people very upset but I see it literally the least best space exploration with planetary landing option in the market today
    Yet a good one for the genre because those that may have been disenfranchised by this game will perhaps seek out alternatives and open the market up wider for games of it's ilk
    this much is true.

I think gamers should however contemplate on how the least best option became the most hyped  and in my view not focus on the gamers but the messages sent to them and how said messages where specifically reconstructed. (aka what was said, what was NOT said, and how it was said)

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Where to start with this pile of garbage?  Having put 6 hours in to it myself before uninstalling it, the only regret is not knowing about the 2 hour refund policy on Steam, otherwise I would of asked for a refund. The hefty price tag for this fraud is a complete joke.  The advert on their part of being near impossible to meet someone but being possible a lie since the game is offline, nothing is saved on their servers since you get a save file of your progress on your computer, lol.   Anyway, the game has so many issues : ship scanner is useless, ship control is complete garbage (FF14 flying mounts are 300000 times more enjoyable), ship refuel to take off is complete bull, no bookmarks, beacons that keeps giving you places you already visited so you end up being mixed up as hell, trading post takes forever to find back since there's no bookmarks, NPC's are useless even with 70 words learned, still got no clue wtf the NPC is trying to tell me.   For those still thinking about getting it, WAIT, wait until early / mid 2017, if the devs care at all about their crappy game, they'll update the living hell out of it to make it playable, but as it is right now, you're getting yourself in to a one hell of a buggy alpha project.  Really sad, because I really hyped the game up on here, but it ended up being one heck of a empty promise.   Anyway, if you like Skyrim even to this day, stick with Skyrim, because NMS is a cheap replica of Skyrim but with a billion less budget, lol. 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Agree with the final score, is around that considering all ups and downs.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    NMS @ 59.99 = Complete POS waste of cash

NMS @ 19.99 = Amazing Indy game

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

SEANMCAD said:

Really? Which other game allows for a seamless transition from space to surface and back like in NMS?
    I can walk around on a planet, harvest / scan / shoot stuff / interact, hop into my Space ship, take off and fly into Space, fly around / mine / destroy, enter a Space station, get out, walk around, trade, hop back in and exit station, fly around in Space to next planet, blast through atmosphere, land, hop out and walk around again.
    All fully seamless without a single load screen!

Elite: Dangereous doesn't have this and when the planetary landing module is released, you need to have the 25 bucks Horizons season pass.
    And so far the footage I've seen is all barren moons/planets with some weird plant or alien structure here and there. Nothing like NMS has.
    And that will be almost two years after Elite:Dangerous initial release? Hardly fair to compare the two in that way.
    Let's see what Hello Games does with upcoming content patches, after they sorted out the PC problems.

Now, where Elite:Dangerous excells at is the amazing space experience with combat With Incredible back drops. I give it that. It's a totally different game, very combat focused! Different audience.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

SEANMCAD said:

You may be correct, but I'd at least like to hear your opinion on Shores of Hazeron and Ascent: The Space Game. I'm tempted to say Rodina, but that game isn't close to being finished as I recall.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

Really? Which other game allows for a seamless transition from space to surface and back like in NMS?.
    Elite Dangerous
    Space Engineers
    Emprion
    StarMade
    Ascent

and in the works
    Stars One
    Planet Nomads

SEANMCAD said:

You may be correct, but I'd at least like to hear your opinion on Shores of Hazeron and Ascent: The Space Game. I'm tempted to say Rodina, but that game isn't close to being finished as I recall.
    I dont know Shores but I have been watching some Lets Play of Ascent and what is remarkable to me is that this game is now out of early access, has rather interesting features and all created by literally one person

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I think what people seem to me overlooking is the sheer brilliance of the engine and coding.. A seamless nearly infinite universe in less than 6 GBs people!! That fact they have created something so expansive and massive in such a tiny package of code is the real success here. Stop and consider for a moment where these tools could lead. Seamless TRUE worlds to explore for traditional MMO's, picture this universe with Mass Effect story telling and graphics. You are not giving these guys credit for the sheer brilliance of the coding and that is the real story here.
    psiic said:
    I think what people seem to me overlooking is the sheer brilliance of the engine and coding.. A seamless nearly infinite universe in less than 6 GBs people!! That fact they have created something so expansive and massive in such a tiny package of code is the real success here. Stop and consider for a moment where these tools could lead. Seamless TRUE worlds to explore for traditional MMO's, picture this universe with Mass Effect story telling and graphics. You are not giving these guys credit for the sheer brilliance of the coding and that is the real story here.
    its far more common place of a code approach then you are aware of.

infinitely large procedurally generated worlds/universe is not that amazing or new anymore

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

Really? Which other game allows for a seamless transition from space to surface and back like in NMS?.
    Elite Dangerous
    Space Engineers
    Emprion
    StarMade
    Ascent

and in the works
    Stars One
    Planet Nomads

Sorry but none of those games come even close, except Elite:Dangerous, but the planetary landing module hasn't been released yet and I can't say I am all that impressed yet with the planets/moons shown in footage (and how many there actually will be, as it's not even procedural generated as far as Im aware of). Though, the flying footage itself approaching the planet and landing looked impressive.

The only one interesting is practically a NMS clone in the works, is Planet Nomads.
    It seems to have base building and planetary vehicles, but we have to wait and see how it all turns out.