Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game On #87 - Is No Man's Sky a Disappointment? - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageGame On #87 - Is No Man's Sky a Disappointment? - MMORPG.com News

This week on Game On, Chris and Ryan sit down to discuss week one in No Man's Sky. Will overhype and poor PC performance mar this once awe-worthy game? Later they talk about RIFT's new expansion, Demon Hunters and demon invasions coming to World of Warcraft and more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited August 2016
    "Awe-worthy" really? Only if you succumb to the Hype Train. Any kind of effort spent looking into NMS soon dispelled any awe. This one always looked like it would be a disappointment, so no surprise that it turned out the way it has.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    "Awe-worthy" really? Only if you succumb to the Hype Train. Any kind of effort spent looking into NMS soon dispelled any awe. This one always looked like it would be a disappointment, so no surprise that it turned out the way it has.
    agreed

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I really wish people would stop with the negativity and stop judging the game on what its not, and start judging on what it is. I am loving the game and am not alone.  I've been playing almost non stop since midnight on the 8th and am barely scratching the surface of the game so people that play it maybe an hour and feel they are qualified to pass any kind of judgement on the game are total and complete ignorant assholes. I can assure you I have more hours in game than any of the people reviewing this game and I am still finding new and interesting things every few hours. Maybe in a year or so I will feel qualified to actually review this game for its true value, but what I know for sure is that NONE of you will ever be qualified. 
    edited August 2016
    psiic said:
    I really wish people would stop with the negativity and stop judging the game on what its not, and start judging on what it is. I am loving the game and am not alone.  I've been playing almost non stop since midnight on the 8th and am barely scratching the surface of the game so people that play it maybe an hour and feel they are qualified to pass any kind of judgement on the game are total and complete ignorant assholes. I can assure you I have more hours in game than any of the people reviewing this game and I am still finding new and interesting things every few hours. Maybe in a year or so I will feel qualified to actually review this game for its true value, but what I know for sure is that NONE of you will ever be qualified. 
    one of the things that bothers me the most about NMS fans is a hyper continuous focus on explaining what this game 'is not' while rarely ever saying what 'it is' and the fact that they are not aware that they are doing it nor to the extent that they are. 'is not' is not a very good sell for a game

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited August 2016
    I can enjoy have fun with it. 

I think the question would be: Is No Man's a 60$ Disappointment? Then kinda for me, for several reasons but it's not it about being a bad game, it's the cost vs worth.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Agree. It's just sickening how far these people go into trashing this game on the internet.

People have been screaming, angry and frustrated with big studios keep throwing out the same recycled garbage games every single year ( FIFA, CoD, BF, etc ).
    That there is no longer any inovation within the industry and everyone playing safe.

Now we finally have a Indy studio actually doing exactly that! Trying to inovate and do something new. They get slammed and trashed like no tomorrow, because People overhyped themselves into fantasy lala land! /facepalm

That reddit thread is just a sickening joke and like I said in another topic. You can make similar threads from practically any other game out there (especially MMO's), where lead Developers are talking and boasting about awesome game features that end up being cut, delayed, etc due to budget and time constraints.

That is just the reality of game Development and you would have thought People would have learned their lesson and keep their expectations in check by now, until the game has gone gold and the final feature list and specs are listed on the back of the Box and sites like Steam!

People that are screaming deceit and false advertisement, have no clue what they are talking about!
    There is no false advertisement on the PS4 game Box, nor on the PS Store, nor on Steam, nor on the official website!

If you want real lies, deceit and false advertisement, then it was Gaute and Erling from Funcom promoting Age of Conan, putting features on the back of the Box that were not in the game!
    Then you can scream deceit and false advertisement.

No Man's Sky is a solid game and plenty of people are having a good time.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Not worth $60 - repetitive in all facets. Everything feels shallow and is purely quantity over quality. Plus: https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y4i3a/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_front_page/
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited August 2016
    http://steamcharts.com/

http://steamcharts.com/app/275850

It's peak players on steam is 212,321 as of this post.

It's number 6 at current with 42,839.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I don't think it's worth $60 but that's pretty subjective, would also be nice to get a bit of transparency from Sean Molyneaux.

Overpromised, underdelivered, boring ass walking hoving simulator for sofa surfing console jockies that like playing with fisher price toys, oh and fun for stoners I guess.

:D

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    Let's stop feeding the hype-train for the next big game and maybe we won't feel as disappointed about it when it doesn't live up to our inflated expectations.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Disappointment ?

Hell NO !

I'm thoroughly enjoying my exploration, just started on my 3rd star system. I've played 60+ hours so far, so I've already got my money's worth.

It's everything I hoped it would be ! :D
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If the hype was based on the HG misleading consumers, then it was never awe-worthy in the 1st place.
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I like the game ... I find myself doing something and then boom 2 hours has passed without me noticing. If you are looking for a fast paced game ... this is not it. I think this is like a popcorn movie ... Not going to make the masses happy, not going to win awards but it will make those who like it happy.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    The game is Amazing ! It lacks a lot of game play but I still hope it will be added latter .

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I like some parts.  Other parts are crappy and up to RNG-gods.  For example, 3 systems last night it was 14? total planets.  Of them 6 were Mars red and barren.  Only 1 had "trees".  All the rest were mushrooms and darned near every species I saw were hooved.  One system (which I grabbed an abandoned ship on) was basically lifeless except for the orbs that get you insta-attacked and plutonium.  Otherwise not a single other thing of note.  (I was furious because it took me forever to hunt down a landing pad/galactic terminal because I needed t repair even just the landing gear on the newly acquired ship)
  • LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    edited August 2016
    Hello Games never over hyped this game compared to other MMORPG's out there and we all know who they are. The game has always been about exploration and crafting resources to continue your game play. Even other sites posted game play a year ago. I don't even care that it is not an MMO. I am absolutely enjoying the game and for me that is all that matters. People can be such dics about these things. It is like they seep into their minds and come out with game play that doesn't exist, then they post their ridiculous rants (much like I am doing now) and call it a fail. A team of 13 people built this game and did what triple A studios won't. That is beautiful. The trolls- pure shame...
    Lateris said:
    Hello Games never over hyped this game compared to other MMORPG's out there and we all know who they are. .....
    1. Hello Games is not an MMORPG so why is it being compared to MMORPGs in this sentence?
    2. what 'other' MMORPGS are you refering to that were more hyped then this game?
    3. of course they over hyped it

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    When No Man's Sky was placed on the Top Games on MMORPG it usually confuses people into thinking the game was actually one MMO, one common event on this website i'd say.
    edited August 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    When No Man's Sky was placed on the Top Games on MMORPG it usually confuses people into thinking the game was actually one MMO, one common event on this website i'd say.

That is the problem with what this site has become. They should rename this website already.

The MMORPG genre had it's best time and is in pretty much in a shambles at the moment really (nothing much on horizon) and for this site to survive they had to start covering other, non-MMORPG games as well.

The problem is that this site is still called MMORPG.com, so it does confuse people.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    This site has been covering non-MMORPG's for years, it isn't anything new.
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lateris said:
    Hello Games never over hyped this game compared to other MMORPG's out there and we all know who they are. .....
    1. Hello Games is not an MMORPG so why is it being compared to MMORPGs in this sentence?
    2. what 'other' MMORPGS are you refering to that were more hyped then this game?

There are plenty of games and MMORPG's that were overhyped way more than NMS, to the point it could never meet people's expectations.

Most recent examples:

Star Wars: Battlefront ( delivered ridiculous low content, shambles of multiplayer features. Everything was put in Paid DLC!)

Destiny (eventhough I and millions of others enjoyed it for long time, it dissapointed many due to hype)

BDO and B&S were very recent overhyped MMO's, but Archage took the crown of insane hype, mostly done by rabid fans into the Extreme.

SW:TOR. Marketing Budget greater than the actual Development Budget. I leave it at that.

Guild Wars 2, WildStar, ESO, Defiance.... Insane hype to the point it was bound to dissapoint.

I can go on and on if you would like?
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lateris said:

There are plenty of games and MMORPG's that were overhyped way more than NMS, to the point it could never meet people's expectations.

Most recent examples:

Star Wars: Battlefront ( delivered ridiculous low content, shambles of multiplayer features. Everything was put in Paid DLC!)

Destiny (eventhough I and millions of others enjoyed it for long time, it dissapointed many due to hype)

BDO and B&S were very recent overhyped MMO's, but Archage took the crown of insane hype, mostly done by rabid fans into the Extreme.

SW:TOR. Marketing Budget greater than the actual Development Budget. I leave it at that.

Guild Wars 2, WildStar, ESO, Defiance.... Insane hype to the point it was bound to dissapoint.

I can go on and on if you would like?
    I dont think any of them not a single one of them was hyped more than NMS.

NMS had an interview on the Colbert Report for fuck sake! articles written about it all over the place like walpaper even non-gaming sites. nope those didnt reach the level of NMS marketing hype. nope not

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    60 bucks for a game with an infinite amount of content, what a steal. What this game is? I've already said it in another thread, it is a walking simulator underneath all of its layers of ' gameplay.' A walking simulator with an endless amount of things to see and experience.

You might visit a 100 planets that are all boring, I might visit a 100 planets that are all amazing. You will only see the tiniest fraction of the game if you play it for the rest of your life. Properly reviewing this is ludacris, @psiic is absolutely right about this, it might take 100s of hours to get a balanced view.

This game is bigger then anything before it, then any game out there. That might make you experience seem insignificant, it is just that that elevates this game into an experience for me. Yes, animals might have a bit more fleshed out characters, as could aliens. But planets vary widely and can be incredibly impressive and more stunning then anything ever seen. Also, you might be someone who will never experience this. So let me tell you a story on why this is unique for me, unique to play and experience.

I get a signal from a planet far away, a beacon that beckons to be explored. I enter the atmosphere of the planet and see some buildings on the surface, I decide to land next to them. I check my UI, the beacon is a frigging EIGHT hours of walking away, that is 8 hours of real time walking to get there. And you know what? It is an interesting planet with a proper amount of flora and fauna. So I am actually contemplating to walk there. I could grab my ship, fly to the spot in 5 minutes and ' score' my reward or I could spend the next 8 hours walking there. 8 hours is more then I spend on most games these days, even the good ones. But if I do it I might actually ' map' all the species and get a nice reward to boot, take in the scenery and gather and sell some minerals, might meet an alien or 2 and learn a bit of language.

I started this morning. I am going to walk for 8 hours. I have little time with a family and very demanding job but I will do it and finish it, no cheating. I did the first hour this morning, no hurry. I got a new multi tool, met an alien and harvested a huge lump of gold. Saw the sun rise and go down, got into a heat storm and had to run into a cave to cool down, learned a few new words. I've got 7 more hours to go and can't see myself getting bored. This is only my beginning, a small journey. And if they ad proper content and enhancement patches I might stay here for years.

That is NMS to me. The hype is worthless to me, other people their disappointment does not mean a thing to me. Because although this universe is shared by all, it is MY journey, and no one will ever do or see the same.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    If I had been following Hello Games and Sony's marketing, I'd be pissed. Instead, I saw a few trailers, and generally was impressed by the tech. I bought it, and don't regret it. The experimental patch branch works well on my machine, and while I wish my 960M Laptop handled it better, I can't say the performance has been too bad since changing to the experimental.

That said, I expect I'll "get through the black hole" and call it quits, because just seeing new worlds with slight variations will probably get old. But by then, I'll have had a few dozen hours of game time, and unique game time at that. 

Is NMS the second coming that was marketed/hyped? Nah. But it's fun, and fills a void in my gaming library I didn't know I needed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.