Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky Review Thread

Comments

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited August 2016
    This is a mod, They slapped together some ready made feature packages.  Some that they didn't own a licence for, and assembled the semblance of a game.  This is what you get from a businessman who tries and makes a game.  Clearly they didn't buy a humanoid animation package or humanoid (NPC) AI package.  Hence the First Person view and no NPCs leaving their ships.  They have made a game and brought it to market, and that is the first step in the learning process.  I congratulate them on what they have accomplished.  Well done, and good luck on their next attempt.  May be they can use this to get jobs with a real development studio.

IMO, a better game than this is Planetbase.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I havent played that but I want to be clear I am using the word 'context' instead of 'goal' etc. Namely because 'goal' quickly gets confused with the greater goal and then starts getting into silly phiolophical debates over the meaning of life. No I mean context at that moment.

So a puzzle to get to over the bridge for example is context. The problem that Rising World has is that there is very little context to ANYTHING. meaning its literally just an infinite open world where you have all the tool but you dont need to mine anything, you dont need to bake anything, you dont need to gather anything so no context. Now to be fair that has been changing and they have been adding some context but they have a long way to go still. So context, not goal

Part of the problem is you haven't played Journey because it has very little context but is amazing. The only information you are provided in Journey is that you're a robed figure in a vast desert, traveling towards a mountain in the distance. That's all gleaned through the visuals. 
    no puzzles at all. zero correct?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• chelvaricchelvaric Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited August 2016
    this game is worth the 60 euro. 
    there is no content?
    - trading system with a sell here for more profit and buy here for less system like all trader games
    - fight system - pirates will come and they will be harder the more you carry, you can attack space stations and fleets if you want
    -sentinels - mine to much or kill animals and they will kick your ass
    - mine for rescources 
    -survive the enviorment it gets harder the closer to center
    - scan animals and upload them for money 
    - name everything you find
    -make animals your pets
    -learn languages word by word
    -increase your standing with each faction
    - get to the centre
    -update ship and weapon and suit 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Personally I'm going to wait and watch some in-depth PC reviews before forming a proper opinion. It's not really grabbing me enough to lay down £40 at this point.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Game looks so boring
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    He had me dying when he gave that lead in and then said and in the end what we get is a, "dinosaur squirrel"  HILARIOUS!!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I think the major put off for most PC Gamers is the price for the type of game it is. 
    Stay away from console+ games if you want to pay reasonable prices. You can't expect a publisher to run away from the easy and obvious price point for that market. Just wait until it's on sale.

I've paid attention to this game from the beginning and I never had the same expectations some of you have. At no f#%king point was I expecting anything more than flying around and checking out new worlds and naming stuff and the small bells and whistles which accompany that play style.

Then again some of you are the same nutters who will join an OWPVP game and try and will it into a PVE wonderland. As you were I suppose.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited August 2016
    Konfess said:
    This is a mod, They slapped together some ready made feature packages.  Some that they didn't own a licence for, and assembled the semblance of a game.  This is what you get from a businessman who tries and makes a game.  Clearly they didn't buy a humanoid animation package or humanoid (NPC) AI package.  Hence the First Person view and no NPCs leaving their ships.  They have made a game and brought it to market, and that is the first step in the learning process.  I congratulate them on what they have accomplished.  Well done, and good luck on their next attempt.  May be they can use this to get jobs with a real development studio.

IMO, a better game than this is Planetbase.
    I wonder if there are plans for humanoids?  Killing sentry bots is great and all but.  Really it's all about what they plan on adding more than what is in at launch, unless they are going to release it and forget about it.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211

Edit: Renamed thread to cover more impressions / reviews rather than just Jim Sterling's.
    The game looks like it plays exactly as they said it would ie they told you right throughout its development what it was going to do and people hyped it perhaps not understanding what they like/wanted.

No shocks or surprises by the looks of it yet people now seem shocked and disappointed saying they will wait for a price drop.

so tell me what's changed compared to what you were led to believe that got you so excited in the first place?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    SEANMCAD said:

I havent played that but I want to be clear I am using the word 'context' instead of 'goal' etc. Namely because 'goal' quickly gets confused with the greater goal and then starts getting into silly phiolophical debates over the meaning of life. No I mean context at that moment.

So a puzzle to get to over the bridge for example is context. The problem that Rising World has is that there is very little context to ANYTHING. meaning its literally just an infinite open world where you have all the tool but you dont need to mine anything, you dont need to bake anything, you dont need to gather anything so no context. Now to be fair that has been changing and they have been adding some context but they have a long way to go still. So context, not goal

Part of the problem is you haven't played Journey because it has very little context but is amazing. The only information you are provided in Journey is that you're a robed figure in a vast desert, traveling towards a mountain in the distance. That's all gleaned through the visuals. 

From what I've seen there aren't puzzles per se. You can take cloth and transform it into bridges and the like but nothing you really have to figure out.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited August 2016
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

From what I've seen there aren't puzzles per se. You can take cloth and transform it into bridges and the like but nothing you really have to figure out.
    fair enough.

I just think NMS as well as Journey really do not have enough to justify the amount of hype from fans and all and I might add without the Developer ever even using the word 'minimalism' which this game appears to be targeted

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

fair enough.

I just think NMS as well as Journey really do not have enough to justify the amount of hype from fans and all and I might add without the Developer ever even using the word 'minimalism' which this game appears to be targeted
    How long did you play it to form that opinion?
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

You see, I would disagree. Journey is an amazing experience, and truly beautiful and moving. I've played a bit but mostly watched others. 

That is why I say that some of these "games" really do speak to a completely different audience on a completely different level.

I consider myself mostly an explorer these days and making why way through, say, Journey, or some such thing can be very enjoyable on many levels. This is not to say that "I" don't enjoy things such as combat or building, but I (and I assume others) can be in a space and enjoy it for the "sake of being in the space".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

edited August 2016
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

You see, I would disagree. Journey is an amazing experience, and truly beautiful and moving. I've played a bit but mostly watched others. 

That is why I say that some of these "games" really do speak to a completely different audience on a completely different level.

I consider myself mostly an explorer these days and making why way through, say, Journey, or some such thing can be very enjoyable on many levels. This is not to say that "I" don't enjoy things such as combat or building, but I (and I assume others) can be in a space and enjoy it for the "sake of being in the space".
    Let me try this then

Space Engine.

10x the exploration game that NMS is. ever heard of it? why is NMS getting hype off the scales?

If Jounrey had super hype hype ultra hype turn it up to 11 hype with interviews on news shows and articles written about it every friggin week for a year before it came out then yeah.I would think that is fucking overkill for a game of its type

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited August 2016
    chelvaric said:
    this game is worth the 60 euro. 
    there is no content?
    - trading system with a sell here for more profit and buy here for less system like all trader games
    - fight system - pirates will come and they will be harder the more you carry, you can attack space stations and fleets if you want
    -sentinels - mine to much or kill animals and they will kick your ass
    - mine for rescources 
    -survive the enviorment it gets harder the closer to center
    - scan animals and upload them for money 
    - name everything you find
    -make animals your pets
    -learn languages word by word
    -increase your standing with each faction
    - get to the centre
    -update ship and weapon and suit 

I am sorry, but that is extremely barebones gameplay.  Over half your points can be consolidated.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

Let me try this then

Space Engine.

10x the exploration game that NMS is. ever heard of it? why is NMS getting hype off the scales?

If Jounrey had super hype hype ultra hype turn it up to 11 hype with interviews on news shows and articles written about it every friggin week for a year before it came out then yeah.I would think that is fucking overkill for a game of its type
    That's great but what about the people who like that type of game? It seems to me that what your are saying is that in order for a game to be "hyped" it has to have a specific list of things that you find important.

Having said that, there seems to be a certain social stupidity to developers and had they been more specific to what their game was "about" they probably wouldn't have to be defending their work.

edited August 2016
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

Let me try this then

Space Engine.

That's great but what about the people who like that type of game? It seems to me that what your are saying is that in order for a game to be "hyped" it has to have a specific list of things that you find important.

Having said that, there seems to be a certain social stupidity to developers and had they been more specific to what their game was "about" they probably wouldn't have to be defending their work.
    there is nothing wrong with liking that type of game and their is no injustice to them.

option 1: 'tell the public about this great game'
    option 2: 'tell the public about this great game every single fucking day for 2 years and hype the super ultra hype with dance girls, light shows, late night interviews, topped off with a hype event as if the game coming is the best game of all time in the universe. Its a fucking wandering game! oh which is a game feature you can do in almost all sandbox games right now regardless of said gaming having other features that are a CHOICE

please do not mix up option 1 with option 2

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

Let me try this then

Space Engine.

Well space engine is not really a game now is it?
    Sure you can" explore" in that engine and sure it has some nice vistas but thats about it, planet surface, nice sunset, cool asteroids but nothing really to do in that engine so compare that to NMS is moot.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Is "Journey" procedurally generated?

I think exploring a manually handcrafted world where the developers presumably lovingly manually placed in all sorts of easter eggs and beautiful sights, etc, is probably going to be more interesting (and feel more magical) than exploring a bunch of procedurally generated ones.
    Maurgrim said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

Let me try this then

Space Engine.

Sure you can" explore" in that engine and sure it has some nice vistas but thats about it, planet surface, nice sunset, cool asteroids but nothing really to do in that engine so compare that to NMS is moot.
    let me try this again

The 'engine' of Space Engine is a better 'game' then NMS

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    SEANMCAD said:
    Maurgrim said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

fair enough.

Let me try this then

Space Engine.

let me try this again

The 'engine' of Space Engine is a better 'game' then NMS
    For realistic solarsystems yes, thats about it.
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Well, for what its worth I have the game and I am really enjoying it.  I am not concerned that I will not meet other players.  In fact I prefer it that way.  Its nice that while exploring I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder for players whose only purpose in life is to gank players.  

Also I have encountered puzzles in the game.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    kb4blu said:
    Well, for what its worth I have the game and I am really enjoying it.  I am not concerned that I will not meet other players.  In fact I prefer it that way.  Its nice that while exploring I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder for players whose only purpose in life is to gank players.  

Also I have encountered puzzles in the game.
    How's the combat?  I would consider playing it for some PvE type combat, both space and fps.  Is there worthwhile loot?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hopefully there will be some great mods put out.  Mods can make some games so much better.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Having looked at a few review/gameplay videos that have been posted about the PS4 version .. from what i can tell about what I see .. It looks like a mix between Elite Dangerous and Myst. I loved Myst and played Elite Dangerous as well. Now I could be all wrong on this but those are my impressions .. and I like how the game does not hold your hand .. Too much of that in a lot of games out there right now.