Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you help take a survey on MMORPG gaming habits please? (uni project)

2»

Answers

• smysirlakismysirlaki Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Hi there @UniProject10 ;
    I will be happy to help! 
    I am a Phd candidate and I also study MMOGs!
    Nice work!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Hi there @UniProject10 ;
    I will be happy to help! 
    I am a Phd candidate and I also study MMOGs!
    Nice work!

Why did you make a second account just to try to get more people to join your study?

I don't really know what you are trying to prove, but you really have to think out the reasoning behind a lot of things before just jumping into a survey with questions like this.

You ask very off things connecting dots that aren't there for some people. I forget peoples names quite often, but I know for a fact that has nothing to do with gaming, I just remember other features of people and remember them after a couple interactions with them. I go places fast because every job I've ever had required me to move faster to get to a destination and it changed how I normally walk, not because I play MMORPG's. Even questions about multi tasking are brought up making the assumption people who play MMORPG's cannot hold attention to one thing at a time, but a lot of people multi task that don't play games at all. You ask these questions in relation to games, but you don't give options that state maybe as a person I do these things, but it's unrelated to the fact that I play video games. 

Why do you ask so much about consciousness. If people weren't conscious of what they were doing right now, why the hell would those people be on a forum discussing anything. Your answers will be skewed. Go out, get a group of people who are currently playing an MMO, stick them in a room with PC's have them play a game for 2 hours, then ask these questions. The people on this forum aren't going to be able to answer these questions since obviously we are browsing a forum and not playing a game at this exact moment. It isn't like people aren't able to function after playing games, it doesn't have the same effect as drinking which is what you are trying to link, and even drinking wears off after a while. I don't go drive my car and forget where I'm going, who the hell does that? Even my friends who wasted 20 hours a night playing MMO's didn't do that.

I didn't really feel like watching a guy do an instance in WoW for 3 minutes either, it was super boring and wasted a lot of my time. I didn't feel like playing any games after that, or making a sandwich. Also what kind of sandwich was that? Marmite? Gross. Why would I want to go make that? That didn't make me want to play games. Or make food. Irrelevance isn't going to help your survey. 

This is insulting to people who play games the way it is currently laid out. There has to be less skew towards things, otherwise it just looks opinionated off the bat, and nobody wants to make what they enjoy look bad. 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Its insulting if you aren't smart enough to see its just a few questions.  I mean honestly you get all offended and start acting childish because of a survey?  The survey gives you the option to make yourself look good or bad and its up to you how the answers are, not the survey itself.  Don't you know that Science starts with theories?  You cannot get peed off because someone has a theory.  You should be happy its being tested instead of just stated as fact.  I mean it is possible that people who play mmo's for more then 20 hours a week have short attention spans.  You never know if you never do a survey to find out.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Read forum and answer questionnaire?  Can't do it, sounds too much like multi tasking.

Reading the forum is my root activity.  Following a link to a questionnaire would create a new step beyond my current activity.  That might cause overload!

Cause heaven knows I can't play a game and have a web browser open to a guide site while watching a youtube video about the game at the same time!  Nobody here would ever do that!  Or *gasp* be running Pandora as well!

I didn't answer the questionnaire but I hope this helps!

(ok, maybe all I really did was read the forum posts and then post a stupid comment!  Let's just keep that between us.)
  • smysirlakismysirlaki Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited July 2016
    Hi there.
    @Panther2103 , Just for the record. This is not a second account.
    My name is Sofia and I am a Phd student at the University of Piraeus in Greece.
    I am studying a totally different subject (Leadership and MMOGs) and I also plan to post my research questionnaire in this forum.
    I hope I can count to your help and support, since the collection of the data is a challenging issue for us researchers.
    Thanks!
    :)
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited July 2016
    Never mind someone already mentioned lol
    Post edited by Seelinnikoi on
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I did try to give the questionnaire a go, but ran into technical issues. 

Apart from the questions being biased or just badly designed (like someone earlier said, RPGs are my main genre, but no option to select it. I also average 1.5hrs per gaming session, but that fell outside of options available), after the first video completed I didn't get an arrow pop up to progress. 
  • UniProject10UniProject10 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Hi Smysirlaki,

Thank you for your comments regarding how challenging it is to collect enough data for research.  This is a very difficult part of my thesis, more so than I expected.  Good luck with your research work.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Butter and jelly sandwiches, BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES!!!!!! URGE TO GAME GROWING!!! CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF!!!!!! MUST LOG ON NOW!!!!!!! 

lol... 
    The survey isn't biased.  To believe otherwise is refusing to think.  Biased questions trap you into agreeing with a statement.  This survey allows you to disagree with all of the statements.  So it isn't biased.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    DMKano said:
    No - because this will only be used to paint video gaming and gamers in bad light.

Too late for that...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    filmoret said:
    The survey isn't biased.  To believe otherwise is refusing to think.  Biased questions trap you into agreeing with a statement.  This survey allows you to disagree with all of the statements.  So it isn't biased.

You think that is going to get us to change our minds?  You aren't thinking.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ThoseWhoStriveThoseWhoStrive Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    Except the survey contains very leading questions and loaded questions; they automatically assume something about you that may or may not be true, but due to the question's wordings, you are forced to answer it as if it is true. See wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

e.g. A survey question asked about the degree of successfulness in reducing gaming hour times. That assumes that the participant has had issues with gaming hours and has tried to reduce them before. There is no "not applicable" option if you have not had issues with gaming hours interfering in life.

I advise you to take a course on statistics and correct research/sampling methods before saying something isn't biased. Bias takes many forms, and bias itself is simply a method providing consistent results that are skewed from the truth.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    filmoret said:
    Its insulting if you aren't smart enough to see its just a few questions.  I mean honestly you get all offended and start acting childish because of a survey?  The survey gives you the option to make yourself look good or bad and its up to you how the answers are, not the survey itself.  Don't you know that Science starts with theories?  You cannot get peed off because someone has a theory.  You should be happy its being tested instead of just stated as fact.  I mean it is possible that people who play mmo's for more then 20 hours a week have short attention spans.  You never know if you never do a survey to find out.
    Yes science starts with theories and while science can help its the scientists that tend to screw things up. The good scientists come up with a theory and then ask unbiased, open ended questions and see if the data lines up with their theory. If it doesn't then they discard the theory and start again. Bad scientists come up with a theory and then proceed to design studies that are meant to reinforce their theory. They ask questions that are biased and/or closed ended that are there to reinforce what they think the answer should be.
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Meh, I took it.  I wasn't very impressed with the questions either.  "Have you stopped beating your wife?"  Not biased at all :)

Second video I had to go full screen to try to see what was he was playing.  Is there anything more boring than watching someone else play a video game?  Well unless you are my 11 year old grandson, lol.

I don't think he/she will get very good data out of it.  Best of luck using it for a dissertation or trying to get it published.
    I appreciate your feedback.  I have had many incomplete surveys and just need a few more completed ones to close off.  There is some repetition, which is probably not conducive to finishing it,  but it is all relevant.
    A big thank you to everyone who has taken part.
    filmoret said:
    Except the survey contains very leading questions and loaded questions; they automatically assume something about you that may or may not be true, but due to the question's wordings, you are forced to answer it as if it is true. See wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

e.g. A survey question asked about the degree of successfulness in reducing gaming hour times. That assumes that the participant has had issues with gaming hours and has tried to reduce them before. There is no "not applicable" option if you have not had issues with gaming hours interfering in life.

I advise you to take a course on statistics and correct research/sampling methods before saying something isn't biased. Bias takes many forms, and bias itself is simply a method providing consistent results that are skewed from the truth.

It isn't biased.  You are assuming gamers are too stupid to answer the questions so they don't look bad.  But anyways whatever helps you sleep at night.  BTW this proves that people are too stubborn to answer a poll and makes me think We are living in the woods shooting the mailman because he was on our property.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

It isn't biased.  You are assuming gamers are too stupid to answer the questions so they don't look bad.  But anyways whatever helps you sleep at night.  BTW this proves that people are too stubborn to answer a poll and makes me think We are living in the woods shooting the mailman because he was on our property.

You are giving people a hard time yet you can't deal with steam giving you a refund. lol.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

By the way, the sandwich is vegemite not jelly...sorry!
    I am just calling for a few more participants to complete my survey.  I need people who start it to follow it through to the end, as quite a few fail to finish it.

Thanks though to all who have taken part.  It is good of you to give time to take part.

• InesIrisInesIris Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2017
    @UniProject10
    Hello, I'm doing a study on MMORPG gaming behavior as well. However I focus on playing World of Warcraft and sibling closeness.
    Since I have some difficulty gathering enough participants, I was wondering if you might have some tips.
    Do you know how I can post my survey on this forum?
    (http://fmru.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0PzqdJVL8VbzDF3)

Iris & Ines