Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you help take a survey on MMORPG gaming habits please? (uni project)

UniProject10UniProject10 Member UncommonPosts: 14

Gaming Forum - Invitation to Participate

Gaming Study

This is a research study that intends to investigate whether different sub-types of gamers react differently to gaming cues. It also aims to examine whether or not gaming cues trigger an altered state of awareness, and consequently affect the urge to game.  This study will also investigate the extent trait mindfulness (being attentive and open to what is happening in the present moment and each successive moment) plays in a person’s urge to game.

·        We would like to invite people who are 18 years of age and older who have played a Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) at least twice per month in the past 12 months to participate.

·        The questionnaire will take approximately 15 minutes to complete.

If you are interested in taking part in this study and would like to see more information, please follow the link provided at the bottom of the page.  The internet link will take you to a page that will provide additional information about the study and will allow you to take part if you wish.

You may enter a prize draw to win an Amazon gift card to the value of $50 by entering your email address in a separate link at the end of the study. Entry is entirely optional.

Participation is completely anonymous and you will not be asked to provide sensitive information.  If you require any further information about the study or wish to discuss any aspect of it, please feel free to email:

Mrs Helen Stanley ([email protected])

Alternatively, you can contact one of the project supervisors:

Dr Adam Rock ([email protected])

Dr Gavin Clark ([email protected])

This project has been approved by the Human Research Ethics Committee at the University of New England (Approval No. HE16-124) Valid to 01/06/2017).

Please click on the link below to take part in this study.

http://unebcss.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_aXEipsPGkoChUA5

School of Behavioural, Cognitive and Social Sciences

University of New England

Armidale NSW 2351 Australia

Telephone: + 61 (02) 67734553

Answers

• motasheronmotasheron Member UncommonPosts: 16

Gaming Forum - Invitation to Participate

Gaming Study

This is a research study that intends to investigate whether different sub-types of gamers react differently to gaming cues.

"This is a research study that intends to prove that gamers react the same to gaming cues as abusers of both alcohol and gambling do."

Fixed...

Just look at the research interests of the scientists behind the study on their official university pages

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    No.
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited July 2016
    I took the survey, but any results are invalid if the state of today's mmorpg market is not taken into account.  My answers would be very different if the market wasn't as it is at the current time.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Ugh mindfulness.  I can see why some people would want to pursue that kind of mindset, but I definitely don't.  The whole point of  gaming (and reading and watching movies) is to be able to forget about the real world, get swept up and not notice the passage of time...
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited July 2016
    I tried to take the study.

Was assaulted by questions that looked like they were aiming to establish if I'm demented or lunatic.

Then I was asked about my current state of consciousness and awareness.

Stopped there, because I failed to see how measuring my reaction to a row of questions whether I'm retarded would have anything to do with MMORPGs or gaming.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    So I took it. I was really hoping there would be questions after the video segments cause I want to know why that guy made butter and jelly sandwiches, and specifically why he used SO MUCH BUTTER!?

Other than that you should really identify WHY people game and how that impacts their awareness vs just types of gamers. A person who games because it is their entertainment medium of choice (like me) is likely going to be more mindful and aware than a person who plays games as a form of escapism, or someone who plays them as a competitive esport.

Best of luck, here's one of our students who did a few studies on gaming if you're interested: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michelle_Colder_Carras
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited July 2016
    Vrika said:
    I tried to take the study.

Was assaulted by questions that looked like they were aiming to establish if I'm demented or lunatic.

Then I was asked about my current state of consciousness and awareness.

Stopped there, because I failed to see how measuring my reaction to a row of questions whether I'm retarded would have anything to do with MMORPGs or gaming.
    I don't think we took the same study.

The study was about whether or not, as a player of video games (and specifically online games) you tend to lose yourself in the games to the exclusion of other things, whether or not your awareness of your surroundings are, for lack of a better word, blunted (or not) because of playing games.

It also tested whether your desire to play games increased (or not) if you were attending to something mundane or witnessing a session of gaming.

Also, words like consciousness and awareness are not evil words and have nothing to do with one being "retarded".

edit: removed a bit as in retrospect it was unnecessary and not in "good forum spirit".

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    One technical difficulty with the study is they don't ask whether you liked the game shown in the 2nd video.  I specifically dislike that kind of game, so it did not raise my desire to play one, but if I had seen a different, more appealing game on the screen it would have raised my desire to play one.

@Rusque ; I thought maybe it was almond butter or soy butter, which you would use more of because they are like peanut butter.  But yeah, I was disappointed there were no questions or anything related to the sandwich making.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • UniProject10UniProject10 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Hi everyone,

I appreciate you taking the time to look at my study and I appreciate your feedback.  I totally understand that there is a lot of positive reasons to game and it has many advantageous outcomes.  This is just study to learn more about gamers.  It is in no way meant to put a negative slant on gaming. I found the constructive comments really informative, thanks.

• XxPriestxXXxPriestxX Member UncommonPosts: 133
    In Australia, more games are banned and demonized than in most of the rest of the world, thus I find the subject of this study, or nearly any study on gamers or the effects of gaming highly suspect when said study is coming from that land mass.
    Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Do not support such pseudosciences!
    This study adds to the body of knowledge within the scientific community. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I participated in the survey.

The Sandwich video is priceless.

I didn't read any of the questions though, because i'm too impulsive. I did answer them all though.

Hope that helps you out.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If you're doing a study that is actually trying to measure what you claim you're trying to measure (and many psychology studies aren't), you've really got to come up with better questions.

For example:

How long would you spend gaming, each time you game?

• Less than an hour
    • 2-3 hours
    • 4-6 hours
    • 7-10 hours
    • More than 10 hours
    The obvious answer for most people would be "it varies."  And even if you weirdly happen to always spend exactly 80 minutes, then the answer becomes "none of the above."  You're designing questions more to get data you can average and run statistics on than to actually elicit meaningful information.  At best, that will get you results of garbage in, garbage out.  And I'm not sure that your study will even rise to that level.
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Happy to help. Seems MMO's make some of my fellow gamers whine and moan. Jeez!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Seems like these 'surveys' appear on a fairly regular basis, theres always a new one. The thing is, its a subject thats already covered fairly extensively, but i get the feeling that people weren't happy with the results, and just want to do them again and again until they get the results that they think are the proper ones. Obviously as players we are doing it wrong, fairly consistently, otherwise, why would they keep doing these surveys.
    I'd suggest they give up and just do the usual creative use of statistics, but i think there is far too much of that kind of thing being done already. :p
    There are many studies being carried out in numerous areas.  The more data we collect, the more accurately we can understand many aspects of gaming.

I do really appreciate people taking the time to take part in my study.
     Thank you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2016
    Started to take the survey but like sooooooooooo many of these tests the questions are just not properly thought out.
    Example asking me what game genre i play the most,there is no rpg just mmorpg.I have also had distinct phases throughout my years,going from 90% fps's to 90% single rpg to 90% mmorpg and then back to single player games of all genres,so my spectrum reaches everywhere and anywhere.However the test FORCES you to pick an answer which would be false in my case and i am sure would be false in many cases.
    Also i noticed a thought trend towards meditation.Almost any kind of competition and other aspects can teach people to relax,yes even working in a new environment.Taking an actual behavior or meditation study would not necessarily be better.An example because it still sits in my mind like it was just yesterday.When i was a really young kid,i was always sick,so had a later start in sports "around age 9".What i remember VERY well is that i was always nervous until i competed for a certain length of time,then i became very relaxed and my improvement was ten fold.I made this point because imo no CLASS in meditation could ever match actually being there to experience the competition.Also you would "think"being a nervous kid i would be the perfect candidate for a stay home gamer,but far from the truth and a lot had to do with outside influences like peers for example.

Schools teach one dimensional thinking,one way trends like ...learn this math equation or learn to form proper sentences,NONE of schooling teaches you to react with outside influences or the REAL world,only in books and theory.

I have compiled my own thought process on various types of gamer's and how they think and react and my conclusions have proven to be correct MOST of the time.I can read people quite well,part of that comes with age and experiencing millions of different personalities throughout life.I also react to different personalities and trends based on mood at the time,so even that changes constantly.My point here is that a survey might hold some weight for that particular day but could be 100% different the following day,therefor would be a total waste in trying to form some common trends in theory of behavior.

My long winded post is in hopes that people in the future put more thought into their questions and not rely solely on common "studies" questionnaires.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I took the test.  It was definitely one of the worst designed tests I've ever seen.  I've been around social testing since the late 1970s, even helping develop some surveys for both the Anthropology and Sociology departments when I was in school.

This survey is biased.  The premise and conclusion are pretty evident in the questions.  I think most any one who frequents this site will not be impressed with this survey.  Please allow me to show you several unrelated videos to waste your time, then ask the same question again and again to see if my opinion changes after some duration.  I hope your survey logged the time each result was entered, as I could have simply walked out to the restroom while the videos were playing, and, for all you know, I did.

I'm still not an axe-murderer.  Are you?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Thanks to all who have taken my survey. I also appreciate your interesting feedback.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    No - because this will only be used to paint video gaming and gamers in bad light.

I agree with this. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Hi there,

I still need a few more people to complete my survey.  It would be great if you would consider taking part.
    Thank you.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea it appears the survey is trying to figure out if people who play video games a lot have their ability to operate in the real world hindered by such activities.  Now the commercial thing you did watching some dude make a jelly toast is something that really didn't need studying.  If you had used a game trailer instead of just some dude playing some mmo it would have been much more effective.  Just like watching the guy eat jelly toast actually made me want to eat jelly toast.  This is why advertising exists.  Because flaunting something in front of people makes them want to eat it.  And depending on the individual and culture it would be appealing or not.  Show a nice plate of Lobster to Africans and they are grossed out.  Show that same plate to USA and they want to eat some Lobsters.  Anyways good luck getting the study and no it isn't biased so long as he takes the data and reports it accurately.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Thanks, that is interesting!
    I still need a few more participants.....