Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead Body, I Choose You! Teen Finds Corpse During Pokemon Go - MMORPG.com News

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

imageDead Body, I Choose You! Teen Finds Corpse During Pokemon Go - MMORPG.com News

In Riverton Wyoming, a local teen found more than a Weedle while out walking during a Pokémon Go adventure. Local station KTVQ reports that Shayla Wiggins found a body floating in a local river on Friday morning. No word yet if it was the work of Team Rocket...

Read the full story here

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I wonder if Pokemon go will be blamed when hipster asshats start wandering into dangerous neighborhoods on their "adventures".
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Xeno.phon said:

I wonder if Pokemon go will be blamed when hipster asshats start wandering into dangerous neighborhoods on their "adventures".

I mean in this case I'd thank the app for making a teen find a body. And in general it's making people be more active.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    Seems pretty tasteless to be making a bunch of pokemon jokes around somebody's death. Stupid article. I actually went to check to see if it was a tongue and cheek news article first, but no, it isn't.

Bit douchey, Murph.
    I like to complain about games.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Honestly, after walking 5.1 km yesterday and another 4.3 today. I've met quite a few playing so far and it's given me the opportunity to meet people like me frankly. And watching some of the families of 4-5 people playing (adults and kids) trying to catch the next one and talking about their discoveries... that's priceless.

You can knock it all you want but... it's better than some of these basement-dwellers that frequent on here.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Ridrith said:
    Seems pretty tasteless to be making a bunch of pokemon jokes around somebody's death. Stupid article. I actually went to check to see if it was a tongue and cheek news article first, but no, it isn't.

Bit douchey, Murph.
    Different sense of humor. I LOL'ed at it. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Yeah, I'm not some overly sensitive pussy, but if I were the loved one of that "dead body", I would probably be on my way to your place of business to pay the author a visit right about now. I hope, for your sake, that if anyone connected happens to read this, they are more understanding than I happen to be.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Forgot the most important part of the story? Did she get her Pokémon?
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    hope they have a revive
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    DMKano said:
    Plot twist - they died playing Pokeman Go
    I saw this earlier and that is exactly what I though too.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited July 2016
    I agree with some of the comments above; this article was in poor taste. Having a "sense of humor" or not, I'm sure that he wouldn't find it funny if it was one of his family members. We live in a culture that clearly doesn't reflect before they make a comment, or in this case, write an article. Making a joke about it wasn't necessary...
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited July 2016
    If I were you Bill, I'd be hoping that the loved ones of the person found don't visit this website. To be brutally honest, if I were one of them I'd be heading to the company HQ to have a little chat with you and your superiors. This strictly hypothetical chat may or may not involve the use of a crowbar.

[mod edit]

I'm the least PC person I know, and have a pretty morbid sense of humor myself, but this was just in terrible, terrible taste.
    Post edited by Vaross on

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited July 2016
    I look at it like this, if there's someone's life you care deeply about (even your own), it's easy to see there are some places you just don't go in seeking humor. There are many better angles for a media outlet to take on such a story, the last choice should be humor IMO. 

You have two tragedies here, first someone possibly dying in a horrific way (drowning), two a teenager trying to have fun, having to be the one to find that out.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2016
    While it may not have been necessary to make a "joke" comment on this news, i have to say that i had a 1 second long chuckle. When you are put to sleep for a surgery, the surgeon and their colleagues make jokes about you or any physical "defect" you may have (someone even won a court ruling against a doctor for that). Pathologists make fun of corpses at the morgue. People go to funerals to drink coffee instead of offering sincere condolences.... seriously. I rather read an article like this over all the BS negativity on CNN, Al Rojo Vivo, NBC, Fox, etc.

My opinion. We are all going to die anyway at some point... mind as well not make it a sadder reality.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    This is a game site, not yahoo, not msn, not cnbc or fox or whatever news site you check out often.  This is a site about games,  so in that respect I don't see any issue with a tuned focus on the gaming aspect and not the death aspect.

Example:

Gaming News Site:  Wiimote Flies Out of Hand and Gives Kid Black Eye,  Dr. Mario Called.

News Site:  Video Games a Danger to Person and Property

Whether or not you find it to be in your personal taste, lets move on people.

edited July 2016

While it may not have been necessary to make a "joke" comment on this news, i have to say that i had a 1 second long chuckle. When you are put to sleep for a surgery, the surgeon and their colleagues make jokes about you or any physical "defect" you may have (someone even won a court ruling against a doctor for that). Pathologists make fun of corpses at the morgue. People go to funerals to drink coffee instead of offering sincere condolences.... seriously. I rather read an article like this over all the BS negativity on CNN, Al Rojo Vivo, NBC, Fox, etc.

My opinion. We are all going to die anyway at some point... mind as well not make it a sadder reality.

As a person who's had to sign a waiver more than once stating you might die after we put you to sleep, and open up your chest to cut on your heart. I can say with confidence once you're living on a machine as well as a bit of skill and luck, you realize it gets no better than that sad reality. You shouldn't approach that reality lightly. It's over to soon for us all.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    So I read the article and wasn't offended, i guess i could see how people would be offended but i mean i have lost a lot of family and loved ones in my life and i've seen the different ways people relate to loss.. obviously Bill had no emotional ties to the victim here, but some people try to make light of death because it's easier that way.

I personally don't see any malicious intent in this article and i don't think it was too over the top but obviously my opinion differs from others and thats fine because i can see how some people would consider it too much.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    This is the most fascinating part of Pokemon Go to me.  When you have people walking around in random areas outside of their "routine", things are going to happen.  I think this is great and the world needs more reasons to step outside of our comfort zones.
    Nanfoodle said:
    Forgot the most important part of the story? Did she get her Pokémon?
    I guess they might have come across a Gastly?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think sometimes people like to feel offended to make them selves feel superior. This story naturally has some dark humor to it. If you don't see it you are blind and it is not off topic, it's about a game lol
    mbrodie said:
    So I read the article and wasn't offended, i guess i could see how people would be offended but i mean i have lost a lot of family and loved ones in my life and i've seen the different ways people relate to loss.. obviously Bill had no emotional ties to the victim here, but some people try to make light of death because it's easier that way.

I personally don't see any malicious intent in this article and i don't think it was too over the top but obviously my opinion differs from others and thats fine because i can see how some people would consider it too much.
    Offended? I don't think it's matter of offense, I just find it disappointing. I mean this in as respectful a way as possible, but this type of humor seems overly juvenile to me.  I think a good way to explain my take is the movie Stand By me. What starts out as a fun adventure with kids seeking to see a dead body, quickly becomes that sad reality when they find it. 

Other than that the game itself seems rather ingenious and productive, anything getting people outdoors (outside of shopping/working/eating) is good in this day and age.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Distopia said:
    mbrodie said:

Offended? I don't think it's matter of offense, I just find it disappointing. I mean this in as respectful a way as possible, but this type of humor seems overly juvenile to me.  I think a good way to explain my take is the movie Stand By me. What starts out as a fun adventure with kids seeking to see a dead body, quickly becomes that sad reality when they find it. 
    I think thats being quite a bit too harsh when the focus isn't really the death or the person but the fact that it was Pokemon Go that allowed this experience to happen.

That in itself lends itself to humor.  

Every other real news site out there can take the hard, somber stance.  In no way does this joke somehow diminish one's ability to mourn a loss, be sympathetic to a victim or understand the seriousness of death.  This is simply a poke ... at a game related mishap.  

Distopia said:
    mbrodie said:

I'm not really sure how to get across what i want to say.. (Stand by me is a great movie btw) but i think it's one of those things that people arent going to agree on...

either you saw it for what it was and found the attempted humor at a terrible situation

or

you found it distasteful and inappropriate.

honestly either stance is fine i'm not judging everyone has their own moral compass and what they do and don't find acceptable. I'm not really sure how to say what i want to express.
    Distopia said:
    mbrodie said:

I think thats being quite a bit too harsh when the focus isn't really the death or the person but the fact that it was Pokemon Go that allowed this experience to happen.

That in itself lends itself to humor.  

Every other real news site out there can take the hard, somber stance.  In no way does this joke somehow diminish one's ability to mourn a loss, be sympathetic to a victim or understand the seriousness of death.  This is simply a poke ... at a game related mishap.  
    there you go, thats pretty much what i wanted to get across from my point of view i suppose.

there has been so much finger pointing at pokemon go "oh but kids are gonna die" "this is gonna happen" "bad stuff" "bad pokemon go"

and then this actually happens, where from a positive experience of a person exploring their home looking for pokemon they come across an unfortunate circumstance.. i think it's kind of the irony in the whole situation
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    I take it we need a "triggered" warning for this thread?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin