Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon:RotF is the savior of mmo's

I believe Pantheon:Rise of the Fallen is going to save the genre! And before you roll your eyes an mmo that focuses on community and challenge is not a niche game. In fact, it is everything that makes an mmo special than other genres and attracted me to the MMO in the first place. There are things that make this a must have game and pretty much the savior, if it succeeds. Here's a short list:

For one, We don't want more casual games! And it's not aimed for kids. Point,it's a one of kind, Well technically its more like Everquest but with more stylish combat features like relics which gives a mana pool to non magic classes (White relics allow magic casting abilities like ressurection to a class such as a rogue, you can carry up to 3 relics at a time), another feature is magic affinity which determines how many spells per affinity you can cast, its basically seperate mana pools. A wizard starting out has a high fire affinity allowing him to cast more fireballs than other classes, etc. Point, it breaks from the Everquest model (Boss dragons needing a raid force). You don't know how much of a relief that is! Instead of group items being completely worhtless around the world just because you happen not to be in a raid guild, now the focus becomes of making every nook and cranny of the world filled with mystery, legend and worth. 

Point, slow combat. technically this is more like Everquest than any other game and given the tools of the new and fresh combat system it looks and feels something from the past. But slow combat allows for viable camping, social interactions that you have not seen since 2002 and is just better for the overall grind that takes place in every mmo. Point, there is no cash shop. Point, its being made by Brad McQuaid. This guy is a legend. He's the creator of Everquest and is back at it making another game again since Vanguard:SoH. He makes games that are much closer to the classic DnD world than anyone else. He has his hands full in Pantheon and no doubt he's gonna bring us back. Point, The people Want it. I believe for a smaller project im saying less than 100 million that Pantheon is going to make more money than it costs faster than WoW. It took a full year for WoW to become profitable from its 250 million developement cost.

Its gonna save the genre. IF this succeeds, this will certainly get the attention of other devs to make other games with more community driven, hardcore, old school, DnD mmorpg's and break the casual mold that current games are designed for. Look the average PC gamer is 34 years old. We pride our selves for being more mature than say consoles. If Pantheon:RotF breaks the barriers surrounding so called niche games than me, you, just about everyone will get what they want, and from now on. This will spawn not only for the mmo, but for other genres to take note. We are tired of casual games and business models. Last point of the argument of why this will save the mmo genre is that It's our last shot. Look i followed the Everquest Next saga and know that there's no buzz anymore. The genre took a death blow when EQN was cancelled. This is our chance to get it back. Everyone who loves the genre or grew up playing it like me, NEEDS to cheer the developement of this game on and support it like it's going to be the savior, because it will, we just don't know it yet but don't wait until its too late...

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You were the one who, only a few months ago, was saying the same thing about EQN.......very vehemently, I might add.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Only this game is being developed and 100% will be shipped. EQN was Smedleys shot at saving the genre. The one that started the whole mmo as we know it today, in 1997. McQuaid was the first person he hired. So know the history of the business before you nonchalantly dismiss this so easily.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I pledged to this game and am looking forward to it but let's be real yo.  LMAO
    I pledged to this game and am looking forward to it but let's be real yo.  LMAO
    Good, don't mind the thread, It's forum magic ;)
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    If Pantheon manages to be a tactically interesting game that requires community, it could certainly make me and my friends play it.  Unless it makes a lot more money than the f2p games out there no one in the industry will notice.

I think my biggest concern with Pantheon is it will get watered down into just another pointless themepark like most games these days... I have no confidence they will stick to their vision.  If they do, that'd be amazing... but....
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Have fun with that.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Oh look it's THAT thread again!
    Harbinger of Fools
    They are making a game that lasts for years, not sure where i originally heard that from but it resonates on what McQuaid is all about. Vanguard wasn't a failure to me, and i dont know why people said it was, maybe because he made Everquest but im sure if he just had more time and better technology he could make a dynasty. There's not too many of those in all of the industry some people just update without any expansions but im sure this is the start (Because the combat is so damn slow) of a game that has mutlitple expansions and not a one trick pony.
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    The game will be saviour IF it succeeds?

If it succeds in what?

With that logic, any game that is being developed can be a saviour IF it succeeds. 
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Because VG was a failure in every sense of the word....

Worst launch ever? Check
    CEO abandoned the game at 1st opportunity? Check
    Buggy as hell 7 years later? Check
    Empty, lifeless, dull looking world? Check
    Can solo to cap with every class in a group centered game? Check
    Watered down themepark gameplay? Check
    1 server with terrible population? Check
    Kept on life support entire lifespan? Check
    Little interest even after F2P? Check
    Closed it's doors despite barebones development team? Check

If VG wasn't a failure then the word failure is as watered down as the genre.

Ramajama said:
    The game will be saviour IF it succeeds?

If it succeds in what?

With that logic, any game that is being developed can be a saviour IF it succeeds. 
    It will be another Everquest basicallly. Imagine its 1999 all over again in 2017. That would be EPIC.
    The awe of MMOs is gone my friend.  Everyone and their moms have seen it all.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Because VG was a failure in every sense of the word....

Worst launch ever? Check
    CEO abandoned the game at 1st opportunity? Check
    Buggy as hell 7 years later? Check
    Empty, lifeless, dull looking world? Check
    Can solo to cap with every class in a group centered game? Check
    Watered down themepark gameplay? Check
    1 server with terrible population? Check
    Kept on life support entire lifespan? Check
    Little interest even after F2P? Check
    Closed it's doors despite barebones development team? Check

If VG wasn't a failure then the word failure is as watered down as the genre.

I seem to recall it being somewhat hard to solo in Vanguard at launch.  I don't know if they changed it down the road.  I played this class that could melee and heal similar to the monk in World of Warcraft.  It took a long time to kill things similar to a Paladin in EQ, but it eventually got nerfed making it difficult to solo.  There were some things I didn't like about Vanguard, but it was a playable game.  I thought they simplified spells and classes a bit to much and I didn't much care for the addition of the Asian area s I didn't like the art work to much.  Overall it was like an EQ lite IMO.  It was like EQ that was simplified and had a lot stripped out of it.  It seemed to lose it's D&D theme in many ways.
    For people it shouldn't. It shouldn't be about business, it should be about community. The Everquest i played in 1999 WAS the best game but at the same time had the perfect storm of community that i will never see again. The pros at it loved to play, everyone else found what they were good at and made a community out of it. There were the funny guys, the trolls, the dramatic people. If you dont find that in any other community you will find it in Pantheon. We welcome you too. Lets bring back little corner of the internet again where we can share what we love and bring joy and excitement to the game we love. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Even though I'm really wanting this game to give me the feels again (and recent streams have achieved this feeling), ultimately, everyone has to eat and choices will be made to reflect that. The only way the mmorpg genre can be 'saved' is if less competition is around so devs can have confidence in their original vision versus having to fight for numbers to survive. People from the 'olden' days seem to forget that there was much less competition than there is now, which will always influence quality.
    For people it shouldn't. It shouldn't be about business, it should be about community. The Everquest i played in 1999 WAS the best game but at the same time had the perfect storm of community that i will never see again. The pros at it loved to play, everyone else found what they were good at and made a community out of it. There were the funny guys, the trolls, the dramatic people. If you dont find that in any other community you will find it in Pantheon. We welcome you too. Lets bring back little corner of the internet again where we can share what we love and bring joy and excitement to the game we love. 
    I get that in every game I play, new or old.  I don't get this EQ1 community was/is better.  They're all the same.  You meet people from all walks of life in any game.  Some you can relate to, some you can't.  Some are just plain nasty, some are a joy to play with.  I have not played a single game where the community was better.  It's all in the experience.  You may be lucky in some games and not others but all in all, it's all the same.  You play any game long enough, it all balances out to the norm for MMOs.
    I get that in every game I play, new or old.  I don't get this EQ1 community was/is better.  They're all the same.  You meet people from all walks of life in any game.  Some you can relate to, some you can't.  Some are just plain nasty, some are a joy to play with.  I have not played a single game where the community was better.  It's all in the experience.  You may be lucky in some games and not others but all in all, it's all the same.  You play any game long enough, it all balances out to the norm for MMOs.
    The community of Everquest was legendary. People have kids to that game. Everquest babies. P1999 is the only mmo that has that same excitement of community. And theyre all coming to Pantheon! Most of them have pledged. I can almost say it would nearly be the same experience as the first everquest launch. Everyone is not expected to play the min max but play the immersion. Slow combat, dungeons, if you play it to win something like TESO or current mmos you wont get much from it, you play it cause other people are enjoying the same thing you are. There are so many games where you enjoy the game but not other people, this is different. You play it because you enjoy both the game and the company. Umm theres a youtube of a dev livestream and you automatically get the sense of Wow i need to pitch in ie. use your abilities on this fight, and you do that so often that you get the sense of i like helping other people, or the basics of group play. Group play in other games are lets kill this instance so i could get a random shot at blue gear. Well this is totally different. Lets get this dungeon because we dont know whats on the other side, it could be a boss it could be a named it could be an new ability you get permanantly by defeating a boss. I believe he said you gain abilities by defeating certain dungeons and thats totally a feature in Pantheon.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    When it turns out you're wrong and the objective truth becomes clear because the game fails to achieve much success, and therefore changes almost nothing about MMORPGs, and therefore can't reasonably be considered "the savior" of MMORPGs....when that happens, will you accept the fact that you were wrong?

Seems more likely you'll scrounge for any scrap of an excuse before you'd admit that all objective evidence will inevitably point to the fact that there is no significant audience who wants a mediocre-graphics tedium-focused (ie oldschool) MMORPG.

Your post is unreasonable.

For example, Factorio is a small survival/crafting game.  It will never be a huge success, but I like it.
    • I would post that Factorio is a game I like, and possibly detail the reasons why I like it.  That's reasonable.
    • I would not post that Factorio is "the savior of survival/crafting games".  At ~500k sales it probably made enough money to sustain, but by no means is that shaking the foundations of the survival genre. (Don't Starve Together has sold around 4.5 million, for comparison.)  Posting that it's the savior of the genre would be unreasonable.
    It'd be reasonable for you to say you're excited by a game.  But games which are clearly destined to generate little interest and revenue obviously aren't going to "save" an entire genre -- they almost never impact a genre at all.  (The only times they do is when some subsequent developer comes along and takes any good ideas and implements them with much more polish.  This rarely happens, but it does happen and generates some of the larger game successes -- and while the precusors are often cited as inspiration (UO/EQ) nobody is unclear that it's the polished game (WOW) that really changed the genre.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Since when do niche products focused on nostalgia 'save' any industry?
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Whoa, someone is wearing the strongest set of nostalgia glasses I have been witness to.
    There will not ever be a savior of the mmorpg genre, it had it's time, and now it takes it's place along side the FPS, RTS, MOBA's etc.
    IMHO fanatics are the worst form of attention anything can get, games or otherwise.

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I am 33, and I'm all game for PANTHEON, currently sweeping noobs in wow/pvp 2.2k.

If this one fails, we wont see a hard oldschool mmorpg with great fantasi immersion until a time, where we probably get injected with a serum that will make us sleep and live through a whole life in a simulator.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Wizbuiz said:
    I am 33, and I'm all game for PANTHEON, currently sweeping noobs in wow/pvp 2.2k.

If this one fails, we wont see a hard oldschool mmorpg with great fantasi immersion until a time, where we probably get injected with a serum that will make us sleep and live through a whole life in a simulator.

The question of the coming of the saviour is all about what type of game "saves" the genre from what otherwise death of the genre. Everyone here is not an mmo player. I can already tell from your attitudes and what games you play that you are an outsider who's only purpose is to pay our devs money so they can continue making games that we love. TESO is a faction, Final Fantasy is another faction, Star Wars is a faction. WoW is a faction. Those are all players that come from original games that weren't mmos to begin with, but use the formula to become massively mulitplayer. The True mmo players are all old school. The other mmo players are players who play WoW clones. All of these factions there isnt a single game that can satisfy or become "Truly a Savior" to anyone of them because we havent hit the Virtual Reality era yet. But to the old schoolers, The TRUE MMO players, Pantheon is the savior. Do you get what im sayin?
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    So there is an mmorpg messiah? I knew I should of read the Bible :(

Let me phrase it this way, The genre almost died on us. To other people they are like What are you talking about, theres mmos coming out left and right. Those arent classic mmos but either WoW clones or game franchises that take mmo formula and make it their own. To us 20 million original Everquest players and UO Asherons Call DoAC the genre is DYING. In fact, its almost dead, there are no games that would come out that appeals to US! the original and ONLY mmo players. We arent newcomers like warcraft star wars elderscrolls who use us. Those people dont care about the mmo but play a version of it. WE CARE ABOUT THE MMO. To us, the original users, thats our game genre. Its dying and it will be saved!