Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall New Dawn Beta (InDev) has begun

13»

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Players on the test server have doubled this week. Lot of people running around Agon. Hopefully this keeps up until they are able to patch in some of the game changing features.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    DKLond said:
    Dullahan said:
    They are pretty different games, and both are up front about what they intend to offer.

Rise of Agon wants to offer a classic Darkfall experience with minimal changes.

New Dawn wants to overhaul the game and fix the major flaws making it more appealing to a broader audience.

Rise of Agon will probably attract the hardcore arena pvp fans. If New Dawn delivers, its likely to attract at least some of the other 95% of players that left and believe Darkfall didn't live up to its potential.
    So... one game will end up with half a person, and the other game 9.5 people? How gruesome for the poor soul torn apart by your math. I pity his family.

... oh, you think more than 10 people are interested in Darkfall? I respectfully disagree.
    And you couldn't be more wrong. There is a huge contingent of people who want a hardcore pvp sandbox MMO. It won't have the flashy 1 million player launch like all the shitty themepark games, but it's not supposed to.
    If, by huge, you mean 5-10K players who're willing to put up with awful PvE and aren't going to ragequit when they're ganked endlessly - then you could be right :)
    Your reading of the tea leaves is way off. One only has to look at the complete and utter failure of themepark MMOs, mixed with the surge of hardcore pvp survival games to see that there is a lot of interest in games like Darkfall. It certainly has its problems, but the genre/type of game it is won't be a problem.
    For your sake, I hope you're right. While I agree that themepark MMOs have failed to keep the attention of the kind of playerbase we saw with WoW (well, some seem to have millions playing still) - I'm afraid they're FAR more successful overall than Darkfall could ever be.

But don't get me wrong, I played and enjoy the original Darkfall for a little while. But, ultimately, it was content-barren - and I simply don't believe there's a way around how the majority crave content.

That's not to say how the VAST majority of players simply don't enjoy full loot PvP - even though I, personally, love the concept. I think Darkfall would need a ton of design changes to be a satisfying full loot PvP game - but even with those changes, I doubt the playerbase could ever exceed ~10-20K regular players.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Dullahan said:
    They are pretty different games, and both are up front about what they intend to offer.

New Dawn wants to overhaul the game and fix the major flaws making it more appealing to a broader audience.

Rise of Agon will probably attract the hardcore arena pvp fans. If New Dawn delivers, its likely to attract at least some of the other 95% of players that left and believe Darkfall didn't live up to its potential.
    So... one game will end up with half a person, and the other game 9.5 people? How gruesome for the poor soul torn apart by your math. I pity his family.

... oh, you think more than 10 people are interested in Darkfall? I respectfully disagree.
    And you couldn't be more wrong. There is a huge contingent of people who want a hardcore pvp sandbox MMO. It won't have the flashy 1 million player launch like all the shitty themepark games, but it's not supposed to.
    If, by huge, you mean 5-10K players who're willing to put up with awful PvE and aren't going to ragequit when they're ganked endlessly - then you could be right :)
    Your reading of the tea leaves is way off. One only has to look at the complete and utter failure of themepark MMOs, mixed with the surge of hardcore pvp survival games to see that there is a lot of interest in games like Darkfall. It certainly has its problems, but the genre/type of game it is won't be a problem.
    For your sake, I hope you're right. While I agree that themepark MMOs have failed to keep the attention of the kind of playerbase we saw with WoW (well, some seem to have millions playing still) - I'm afraid they're FAR more successful overall than Darkfall could ever be.

But don't get me wrong, I played and enjoy the original Darkfall for a little while. But, ultimately, it was content-barren - and I simply don't believe there's a way around how the majority crave content.

That's not to say how the VAST majority of players simply don't enjoy full loot PvP - even though I, personally, love the concept. I think Darkfall would need a ton of design changes to be a satisfying full loot PvP game - but even with those changes, I doubt the playerbase could ever exceed ~10-20K regular players.
    20k regular players is setting the bar pretty high. This is not that kind of game, nor should it be. It's a niche kind of game, and we need more of those. I'm just spitballing here so somebody can tweak these numbers but with Darkfall's map you probably only want like 5k active subs, or thereabouts.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I've been playing and having a great time.  I was going to wait for release and skip the whole Dev Server thing but I think I'm going to jump right in.  Lots of dwarves around and Alfar always looking for AFK miners :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Dullahan said:

20k regular players is setting the bar pretty high. This is not that kind of game, nor should it be. It's a niche kind of game, and we need more of those. I'm just spitballing here so somebody can tweak these numbers but with Darkfall's map you probably only want like 5k active subs, or thereabouts.
    I think the map could accommodate more than that. There are something like 150 player holdings on the map. With New Dawn, players less interested in maintaining and defending a keep or hamlet will also have housing options in and around cities and villages throughout the world.

I'd also imagine if the world was somehow filled to the brim they could always open additional servers.

20k may be pretty high for Darkfall in 2016, but I believe if done right and with more than just hardcore PvPers in mind, a game like Darkfall could easily exceed 20k active players. After all, the game did originally sell over 200k boxes.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Dullahan said:

Sure, if you don't want a significant team doing significant content updates - then 5K players might barely be enough to sustain it.

Again, Darkfall was a decent design and beginning - but to keep people interested, they need a LOT more than just the framework.

That said, there will always be a handful of players who're so invested in their characters - that they don't mind exhausting content and never having anything new happening.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Dullahan said:

Sure, if you don't want a significant team doing significant content updates - then 5K players might barely be enough to sustain it.

Again, Darkfall was a decent design and beginning - but to keep people interested, they need a LOT more than just the framework.

That said, there will always be a handful of players who're so invested in their characters - that they don't mind exhausting content and never having anything new happening.
    Only if your standard for "keeping people interested" is multiple tens of thousands of people. With sandbox mmo's the framework is the most important part. That's the nice thing about it is people (for the most part) make their own content. You'll obviously need developers to tweak stuff as needed and add content, but it doesn't have to be all that significant. Just slowly build up a deep game. Despite UW's failings they managed to add a decent amount of content with a small team and playerbase. If New Dawn (or RoA) can add content at that rate, that would be fine.
  • cdm1972cdm1972 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Funhulks!