Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Theme Park or Old School or something inbetween

2»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Grunty said:
    I mostly play computer based role playing games along with many other types of games.  I don't pay attention to or care whether others try to label the games I play in a positive or negative light.  Whether they think that the terms 'theme park', 'old school' or any other label they choose are positive or negative is their opinion. 

I play games because I enjoy them. I don't play games that I don't enjoy.  That is what matters. Not the labels.

That would make you a gamer.  Glad you are on the team!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Something in between but definitely closer to Old School. Some sandbox features would also compliment it nicely.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I really put mmorpg in two category.  One which try to cater to everyone, and another which have more focused audience.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I tend to favor old-school, and I considerably predate everything that's considered "old school" on this site.

But you can so clearly see the elements that were inserted into those games solely for Hourly Rates, intentional time sinks to generate revenue from an outdated pricing model.

And you can see the players praising those elements as "hard c0re yo!" You can see them heaping disdain on simple and sensible QoL changes, any quality of life is just pussyfication. "Real Men Suffer, it's just how we do things."

Eventually, you realize that those players are flag-waving fans of one specific title, the Holy One That Can Do Nothing Wrong. And they're never-surrender mortal enemies of one specific title, the Evil One That Can Do Nothing Right. There's just nothing more to them than an insane level of Brand Loyalty.

I don't have a lot in common with MMOasochists. Their arms are twisted from patting their own backs for sooooo long.

The gaming universe has moved along without them.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Old school games weren't homogeneous like themepark games are now.  
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The gaming universe has moved along without them.

Good. Games are better entertainment for me now.