Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thread necroing and my suggestion..........

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
So question, what is considered too old for a thread to continue discussion in and consider it a "necro"? Is it a rule made by each moderator? Is it due to popularity of the discussion? Size of the forums you are posting in? Is there really anything wrong with continuing a conversation in an existing thread that may have been pushed a few pages in rather than clutter up the forum database with more threads on a similar subject?

In some cases you get the whole "there is already a thread on this, use the search"  from people if you post another topic; where again you are breaking these rules of the forum.

case in point this thread

Was that thread too old to continue discussion in? I don't think the person who did it had any intention on trolling anyone with revisiting the conversion. I was going to post in it, but it was of course locked. I could start a new post on this topic, but again, I'm probably breaking some forums rule in doing so.

So my suggestion would be just to have threads auto lock after they drop off 50 pages back AND hit a one year date. If the forum only has 2 pages well then it can't be considered a necro, it's an ongoing discussion. This way we know ---ok, maybe we should just start another discussion thread on this issue and it's not looking like we are creating numerous threads on the same topic because we are scared we are gonna get a warning for necroing. 
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Yeah, that was definitely a necro. The last post was made in September of 2014. Three months is what I would consider the maximum cutoff.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    MikeB said:
    Yeah, that was definitely a necro. The last post was made in September of 2014. Three months is what I would consider the maximum cutoff.

Why not automated locking of old threads?  I heard that computers are good for automating tasks.

Optionally, you could change the background color of those threads.

Optionally optional, you could have a warning telling someone they are about to post a necro and have them confirm the action or cancel.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"