Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if we could go "ranging"?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
This is just an idea. It was sort of inspired by Game of Thrones.

Suppose you could form up a group and then accept a Ranging Quest. 

That quest would have a series of goals that would take the group deeper and deeper into the wilds of Terminus.

As you meet intermediate goals, there are rewards.

Weather would be a real factor. 

You would need to plan for and stock up to be sure you have enough of what you need, because you would be going places where you can't buy and sell or access any bank.

If you complete all the goals, and return to the point of origin, it is a successful ranging and there is a larger reward.

There would be a story to the group quest that would unfold the deeper into it you went, and as you completed goals.

Solo versions of this could be called Scouting Quests.

You would of course have additional adventures along the way that would be spontaneous and unscripted. But the Ranging Quest would add measurable objectives as you go. 

Just for discussion. :) 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    You might be on to something. I definitely would like less/more meaningful quests since I'm really wanting to hope back into open world exp parties again. Only problem is that kill quests or something that takes you to specific areas will kinda hold people's hand. I kinda like the thought of finding a decent sport to grind exp with a group and explore naturally. But maybe having a wide variety of those types could work. Again though, over time people will just pick the most 'efficient' types so idk...
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Sounds good, HOWEVER CHAIN QUEST ARE OFTEN BAD FOR ADDING GROUP MEMEBERS.

In a game that is made for groups.  It would suck if you feel short one or two and can't invite that alone guy standing next to the party. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Assuming you mean a chain quest that you have to complete during one online or group session ? (otherwise it would just be a chain quest I guess) - That might be too time consuming considering Pantheon is probably going to be "slow" travel and slow pace and therefore this would take many hours to do ?.

Otherwise a nice idea, although it could be a bit themepark'ish in nature and I think they are trying to limit story driven content and be more eq like.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited July 2016

Chain quest are always bad for mmos.

I think single quest that are extremely hard to attain is a much better approach.  No worst feeling when two group members leave you stranded half way through.  I remember the book quest line in LOTRO had many people spamming chat to do part 5 !!!

- The group can work their way up that hill to kill that elite.

- The group can work their way through a deep complicated forest to pick up that item.

- Open world mini dungeons.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    This is just an idea. It was sort of inspired by Game of Thrones.

Suppose you could form up a group and then accept a Ranging Quest. 

That quest would have a series of goals that would take the group deeper and deeper into the wilds of Terminus.

As you meet intermediate goals, there are rewards.

Weather would be a real factor. 

You would need to plan for and stock up to be sure you have enough of what you need, because you would be going places where you can't buy and sell or access any bank.

If you complete all the goals, and return to the point of origin, it is a successful ranging and there is a larger reward.

There would be a story to the group quest that would unfold the deeper into it you went, and as you completed goals.

Solo versions of this could be called Scouting Quests.

You would of course have additional adventures along the way that would be spontaneous and unscripted. But the Ranging Quest would add measurable objectives as you go. 

Just for discussion. :) 

It's a good idea in concept - but it's hard to translate this to game design - because in game fast travel abilities - such as wizard teleports (which will exist in Panthenon as single and group) - will quickly move entire groups across great distances.

Many movie/book concepts involving the logistics of moving/travel and provisioning rations are next to impossible to do in MMOs due to fast travel, no need to sleep for characters, no need for food/drink as a requirement for survival (most games treat food/drink as buffs), - and when you add a fast night/day cycle in the mix - it would make meaningful survival even more tedious. In games in general - "health" of the character is a simple HP bar - things that would affect health like weather, exhaustion, hunger, sickness, diet, etc... are ignored as are deemed "to tedious" and "distracting of fun" in most game design, so they are marginalized and their impact on characters in game is trivial to non-existent.

Again it would be possible - but not in Pantheon - at least not to how you envisioned it - it could be a long chain quest that required the party to visit many locations in order, and complete tasks along the way - but it's just a chain quest in the end (those have been done in EQ1 17 years ago).

Just one more reason I think fast travel should be extremely limited. Let players port to some relatively safe area on each continent.

I'd also like to see survival stuff like eating and sleeping (camping) be of greater importance. I think every time you camp for a few hours it should charge up some sort of rested stat like Vitality which provides a passive bonus to everything you do. As it gets low, the bonus goes away and eventually turns to a debuff. You should of course be able to restore the Vitality by various means including eating good food/drink or spending time in a tavern.

That would also act in a similar way to "rested xp", and be a greater boon to the casual player.