Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO or W* - More forgiving PvE for an old timer?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I'm not much of an action MMO player, historically.  I'm old and slow and uncoordinated.  That being said, I'm interested in ESO because I like the ES games, and I'm interested in WildStar because it seems like a quirky Western in space.

Anyway, I'm mostly a solo PvE player these days.  No PvP.  I sometimes do dungeons and almost never raid.  That being said, for my playstyle, which of these two games has more forgiving PvE?  Less moving and dodging and attacking while moving?  Easier rotations?  Easier in general?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I enjoy seeing other players running around and chatting from time to time.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well you can try Widlstar for free unless ESO has a free trial but I don't think it does.  So if anything it wouldn't hurt to try Wildstar first.  If the game grabs you, then there you go.  If not, then buy ESO for however much it goes for these days.  Seems like it's always on sale somewhere. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

That's a thought!  I guess I'm just hesitant to get into them if either of them has really challenging solo PvE.  I play these days to relax.  I haven't raided since vanilla WoW.
  • 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    final fantasy 14 is your best bet dude, its chill and has a pretty long global cool down.  Wildstar forget about it...iam 31 and my wrist kill me after playing it for 30mins

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    ESO has gamepad support which makes action combat more enjoyable and also comfortable.
    Also you should try final fantasy xiv trial http://store.steampowered.com/app/312060/
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Wildstar has the most fast-paced combat I have ever seen. It is quite challenging, with the dungeons being especially tricky. By the sounds of your post, Wildstar is most definitely not for you.

ESO is quite alright. In most areas I had an easy time progressing - it is more about the story and questing, rather than difficult combat. There were a few times where I started a quest I could not finish for the life or me, no matter what I did with my skills. I suppose I ventured into an area ahead of time. They changed the difficulty completely from what I've heard, making any area accessible now. Sounds like a good match for you - one can simply explore at their own leisure.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I enjoy seeing other players running around and chatting from time to time.
    I would suggest ESO.

As mentioned you can try WS and that may work but the combat is - as mentioned above "heavy". Population not as good either.

ESO you can pick up on e.g. Amazon at sub $20 - currency of your choice. No need to buy the DLC or sub - it will be weeks and weeks before you need to think about that by which time you may want a change; it is a "big" game.

One of the complaints of mmos is that they have moved to cater to "solo" players. The heritage of ESO is the single player ES games.

As such it works as a single player game (opinions vary as to how well but the heritage is there.
    It works as a co-op as a result of the megaservers used (one per platform per US / EU) - there are usually other players around wherever you are.
    And as an mmo it has dungeons that require groups (as well as public dungeons that can be played solo, co-op).

What may also apply is that at anyone time you use a limited number of skills in ESO  - you change them as and when you like e.g. to best suit an encounter, play a different way etc. (having first "unlocked" them which is a big part of the game - a lot of horizontal progression).
  • allizzarallizzar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    ESO has gamepad support which makes action combat more enjoyable and also comfortable.
    Also you should try final fantasy xiv trial http://store.steampowered.com/app/312060/

I will second that. I found ESO horrid with mouse and keyboard and found it much more engaging with a joypad. As a older gamer past being able to compete or care in PVP I find both ESO and Wildstar to be good PVE games. I didn't enjoy any of the classes in Wildstar, but I think its a solid game and you can play it for free.
     ESO gives more opportunity to just screw about and hit things. Along with a very rich class system if you don't care for FOTM.

On the other hand you cant go wrong with FF14. It is just excellent. The polish alone stuns me.
  • allizzarallizzar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Torval said:
    I really wish FF14 wasn't so dungeon and raid focused for progression or I would hop in for a few months and play through the story to cap.

but if you didn't care about progression and wanted a game for story and screwing about... would you play FF14? serious question, no troll.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Out of those 2 and what you're looking for i would say ESO... i frequently play both and recently you'll have your needs met in both games, due to i see people running around in both, but as other people have mentioned wildstar is very twitchy and reaction oriented, where countering in ESO is a lot more forgiving and easy to manage.

They are both super fun games for different reasons, i love wildstar for it's attitude and difficulty / group content and how in your face it is with everything... it's really upbeat and fun and i enjoy super fast paced combat with dodging and targeted abilities etc...

ESO feels a lot more gritty and realistic and it's such a huge world with so much to see and do and the graphics still look pretty amazing now. The combat is a tab target / action combat hybrid.. but it's a lot more forgiving as i said earlier too, with things like block being bound to a mouse button and dodging not being as important not that it isnt completely but you can mitigate a lot easier in ESO than in wildstar

I think giving them both a try would honestly be your best bet also... ESO is cheap and Wildstar has a free trial and i think like myself you'll find merit in both games.
    OK, thanks guys!  Sounds like ESO is my best bet.

I played FF14 for a while.  What got to me was the running of the same dungeons over and over and over, just at higher levels.
  • AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108

I played FF14 for a while.  What got to me was the running of the same dungeons over and over and over, just at higher levels.
    Sounds good if there is more than 15 dungeons!
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited June 2016
    ESO's combat is more tactical and slower.  Wildstar is more frantic and requires more movement.  In Wildstar, you have to constantly dodge out of telegraphs that are on the ground.
    Agnhar said:

Sounds good if there is more than 15 dungeons!

I remember there being a handful of dungeons that you had to do repeatedly, with the only thing really changing being the level of the mobs.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    i would suggest ESO over WS, it really depends on your preference, ESO has that a really good lore, and a very beautiful world ( so does WS, but the style are very different )

i recently got back to ESO, i was a VR 14 on PC, and i quit for almost 1.5 years,

so far, i have been soloing the whole campaign and side quest, and i am just enjoying myself,

yes, sometimes i feel like it does not feel like an MMO as there is no chat box on the console for ESO, and i barely group up or chat with anyne, it truly feels like ES single game, but then like you said,

i ocassionaly bumped into other players while doing public dungeon and in the open world, and i liked it.

but seriously, ESO is just a wonderful game and the story is just insane!

So What Now?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Never played WS but as an older gamer I didn't find ESOs controls too onerous to deal with.

If you are looking for basically a solo experience then ESOs your game most definitely.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    ESO
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    I am 70 years old and I Play ESO with no problems on a PS4.  I also have no problems with EVE on my PC.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    4Renziks said:
    final fantasy 14 is your best bet dude, its chill and has a pretty long global cool down.  Wildstar forget about it...iam 31 and my wrist kill me after playing it for 30mins
    Ever considered getting a trackball instead of a mouse? Just moving with your thumb means no more mouse-wrist and it is faster as well. It takes a few hours to get used but certainly worth it, even if I doubt that is your only problem with WS I doubt that is the only time you feel your wrist (I can feel my wrist starting to ache after 4-6 hours gaming with a mouse, but I never felt the trackball even after 18 hours).

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I've been playing both games lately to make a decision on which one to settle on.  For me, it's a simple answer.  Wildstar gets tedious very fast because your senses are overwhelmed with loads and loads of pve quests active simultaneously and all you really do is run about killing things.  I hit a wall at Whitevale as it got very tedious.  

ESO is a very more easily paced game with lots of story and lore and a more interesting world.  Wildstar is manic 100mph/kph whereas ESO will be a game to savour.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    ESO 100 percent. WS, is a bunch of complex painful to the eye hit boxes, and like lanes, and takes awhile to figure out how to use them right. ESO, is so easy, you can almost just slap your keyboard and still win. Either though have no harsh pens for dying. WS is free though, so there is that. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    ESO is your best bet. If you take it slow and do ALL the quests, it's very easy to get over-leveled for the content, in which case the difficulty of encounters drops significantly.

Wildstar is a lightshow of flashing telegraphs, it's a far more "gamey" game than ESO. It reminded me of some manic platformer instead of an MMORPG, lol.