Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    goboygo said:

.. the rest well, "there's trouble" "I just love trouble, I'll be over here laughing and taking jabs at people while someone else figures it out, but I actually hope they fail because it will make me feel better about myself......."

Wow.. i do not know if it was intentional but you just described, very accurately, a certain individual. The one who leads the bulk of the anti SC / anti CR army.

The one who several years back proclaimed himself as an internet warlord.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Shodanas said:

The one who several years back proclaimed himself as an internet warlord.
    Lets not go there.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    goboygo said:
    Brorim said:
    database comes now .. lol .. they are in trouble ..

I'm glad you don't work for me, with your quitter doom and gloom attitude you would last about 2 days on the job.  The most successfully people don't see "lol trouble" they see challenges and they find solutions. 

That's what the upper 20% do in this world, the rest well, "there's trouble" "I just love trouble, I'll be over here laughing and taking jabs at people while someone else figures it out, but I actually hope they fail because it will make me feel better about myself......."

I'm glad I don't work for you either. I probably would have confronted you months or years ago as to why a database for persistence wasn't built yet. 

If this was a last minute change (adding persistence) then I would question your ability to successfully lead this project. If persistence has been a goal from the beginning and it wasn't in the design document then I would question your ability to successfully lead this project. If it's in the design document but planned for now when it should have come sooner...well you get the picture.

@Kefo

perhaps you want to reflect on the reason why "Star Citizen Persistent Universe" (the multiplayer game) is named "persistent" since October 2012. 

Maybe you can then answer the question if persistence was in the design document from the beginning ;-) 

Have fun
    Erillion said:

@Kefo

perhaps you want to reflect on the reason why "Star Citizen Persistent Universe" (the multiplayer game) is named "persistent" since October 2012. 

Maybe you can then answer the question if persistence was in the design document from the beginning ;-) 

Have fun
    I already knew that since I've been following the project since KS. You might want to reflect why after almost 4 years they have basic functionality of persistence for a game that has it as one of its main features
    A few common questions are asnwered in the "Alpha 2.4 Persistence FAQ"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/persistence

The following information will be added to that FAQ soon according to a Dev Tracker post.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/333690

"*** How do I access my Hangar? ***

The Hangar is now directly accessible from the Main Menu. You will no longer log straight into Hangar as in previous versions.

*** Ok, I'm in the Hangar... where is my ship?! ***

The Hangar is empty when you first log into it. Walk up to the landing pad and a blue dot will appear on the floor. Click this blue dot to initiate the new LiveWorks AR Port Modification feature, and you can select your ship.

Please note that the LiveWorks AR system is still a feature in development. We would appreciate any bug reports on the Issue Council: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council

LiveWorks AR is also available inside Crusader on the landing pads. A full writeup of how to configure your ship in the Hangar and Crusader is now available on the 2.4.0 Persistence FAQ here.

*** How do I get a spacesuit inside Universe? I just died in the airlock and I don't have enough aUEC to get one in the store! ***

No worries, we give you a free one! When you log into Universe (Crusader), there's a spacesuit inside the locker inside your EZ Hab.

*** How do I change what I am wearing? ***

You will wake in Universe at Port Olisar wearing your indoor clothing. If you plan to head out into space you will have to change into your flightsuit or risk explosive decompression in the airlock. You can change your outfit in two locations – in your bedroom with a new wardrobe, or at the valet units beside every airlock.

Click F on the EZ Hab locker or on the Valet locker to exchange your wardrobe. If you'd like to go to third person to see your character, click F4, and click Z to enable free look! "

Have fun

Here is one for our Doomsayers that believe that the Star Citizen MVP will be disappointing.

Wally Builds An Mvp Version - Dilbert by Scott Adams

;-)

Have fun

Erillion said:
    Here is one for our Doomsayers that believe that the Star Citizen MVP will be disappointing.

;-)

Have fun

Wow a block of wood? you must really believe in this project since I thought it was more like dirt or perhaps something more insubstantial like air 

;)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    edited June 2016
    But it is the best damn block of wood, eveh!
    ;).  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

But it is the best damn block of wood, eveh!
    ;).  

You mean the best damn Minimum Viable Product block of wood ever
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    New article from Derek Smart is up on his site:

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/06/star-citizen-fidelity-of-failure/

Make what you will of it.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • BrorimBrorim Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Erillion said:

;-)

Have fun

MVP should be the product presented at KS .. Not the product delivered ..
    edited June 2016
    vorpal28 said:
    New article
    I challenge the "new" ...

Same ole same ole ... even more so than usual. A mash-up TLDR combined version of his last three blogs (and those had IMHO doubtful "content" to start with).

When the main "new" fact in this article is the (of course unproven) claim that Chris Roberts has a toupee, then you know what to expect from the rest of the (very long very boring) article.

Have fun

PS:
    Too bad if the guy someone talks about in his blog goes public and shoots down the false statement made in the blog:
    https://imgur.com/oj4B9zE
    Also too bad if someone is then pissed about it, follows up with many more tweets and is completely ignored by the man in question 
    (well, would YOU have answered someone that tweets to you "..nobody gives a shit about what u guys do.." ?)

PPS:
    Ahh, holy back pedaling ... ad hominems against Jon Dadley coming in hot and fast at a rate of one tweet per minute. My my, what a change .. first he is named in the blog a "talented senior designer", now he is being told to STFU by the blog author.

Post edited by Erillion on
    Erillion said:
    vorpal28 said:
    New article

Same ole same ole ... even more so than usual. A mash-up TLDR combined version of his last three blogs (and those had IMHO doubtful "content" to start with).

When the main "new" fact in this article is the (of course unproven) claim that Chris Roberts has a toupee, then you know what to expect from the rest of the (very long very boring) article.

Have fun

PS:
    Too bad if the guy someone talks about in his blog goes public and shoots down the false statement made in the blog:
    Also too bad if someone is then pissed about it, follows up with many more tweets and is completely ignored by the man in question 
    (well, would YOU have answered someone that tweets to you "..nobody gives a shit about what u guys do.." ?)

PPS:
    Ahh, holy back pedaling ... ad hominems against Jon Dadley coming in hot and fast at a rate of one tweet per minute. My my, what a change .. first he is named in the blog a "talented senior designer", now he is being told to STFU by the blog author.

I'm not sure about the false statement since he said Jon Dadley left, which he did do.  That would mean its a true statement unless false has some other meaning in your world.

As for the rest, I'll have to check when I get to the hospital and see what these flurry of tweets are.
    And another development milepost passed for Star Citizen, Space is now safe for Naturists.

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    Erillion said:
    vorpal28 said:
    New article

Have fun

PS:

PPS:

Read the tweets. Being told to STFU doesn't take away from the fact that he called him a talented senior designer, hell he even says in other tweets that he was key talent, funny how you didn't mention that.

DS does do some ranting but are you really surprised at this point?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited June 2016
    Erillion said:
    vorpal28 said:
    New article

Have fun

PS:

PPS:

Ha! Maybe you should read his new blog instead of spreading your normal misinformation.

Read about what? Another developer who has stayed with one company for years. *yawn*

Contextually speaking, turnover in tech-related companies is massive. Why? Because really smart, creative, innovative people want to do new stuff. So once the shiny is gone, they're out! I find it funny when people speak in completely contextually-specific terms with complete disregard for anything external. Did you know that the median tenure at Google is just over 1 year? How about that Amazon.com is only 1 year? 

Soooooo, yeah! Basically, if you are able to retain talent for a couple years, great! Two and a half years is actually pretty long. 

Also, while we're on the subject, why is it that The Escapist article was the MOST relevant thing in the world!!!!! Yet, someone who actually worked at CIG, but not anymore, essentially calls DSmart an idiot and the response is, "Yeah, but did you read his blog?!?!?" This is first party information from someone who had every opportunity to either say nothing or completely throw CIG under the bus. Instead, he chose to, in essence, laugh at DS.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited June 2016
    What I find the most hilarious, is how anyone could take;

1) A  0- 19 losing streak "(wannabe, forth rate,no talent, hack) game  developer( that
       could not develop his way out of a wet rice-paper bag during a 100 year Okinawan
       monsoon) " that has "games" that are no better than visual virus shovel-ware.

2) A self proclaimed internet warlord, and documented shit-posting troll, that likes to
       start flame wars just for the hell of it, because he is in a good mood.

3) Proven habitual liar, back-peddling nitwit, that bans his customers at the slightest
       hint of any criticism about his "games".

Seriously, cause he sure as hell does NOT have the respect or admiration of the rest of the game development community.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    PM me when the game is launched.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited June 2016
    Arillix said:

1) A  0- 19 losing streak "(wannabe, forth rate,no talent, hack) game  developer( that
       could not develop his way out of a wet rice-paper bag during a 100 year Okinawan

2) A self proclaimed internet warlord, and documented shit-posting troll, that likes to

3) Proven habitual liar, back-peddling nitwit, that bans his customers at the slightest

Seriously, cause he sure as hell does NOT have the respect or admiration of the rest of the game development community.
     Derek Smart has made shit games no doubt. His crappy games are irrelevant to the fact that's he's right about the failings of SC.

Actually the beyond crappy games he made with the latest one being nothing more than a huge pile of s**t are very relevant with his hate saturated rants and personal attacks against CR, CIG developers and us backers.. or "shitizens" as he prefers to name us.

This individual is in absolute no place to pass any judgement whatsoever about the process of developing a game. He neither possesses the required skills nor the insight about creating a game let alone a highly complex project like SC.
    Shodanas said:
    Arillix said:

Derek Smart has made shit games no doubt. His crappy games are irrelevant to the fact that's he's right about the failings of SC.

Actually the beyond crappy games he made with the latest one being nothing more than a huge pile of s**t are very relevant with his hate saturated rants and personal attacks against CR, CIG developers and us backers.. or "shitizens" as he prefers to name us.

This individual is in absolute no place to pass any judgement whatsoever about the process of developing a game. He neither possesses the required skills nor the insight about creating a game let alone a highly complex project like SC.
    While I won't defend Derek Smart, Shodanas, I will make the following comments that could be inferred as a defense.

He has more development experience than 99.9% of the Star Citizen backers, yes his games aren't very good, but they got made and published. His original concerns about Star Citizen had him vilified by the vocal minority and as such he just seemed to say fuck it and went to town, as such he's responded in kind.

There are valid concerns about Star Citizen, which the vocal minority seem to be blind to or make excuses for Chris Roberts, has garnered a vast amount of money to make Star Citizen, his original vision could have been done with a much lower amount of cash, as he got more cash he expanded the scope and as such the game never made the original release date of 2014. 

People keep saying that they are happy to wait, well good for them, as they will have no choice in the matter, Chris Roberts has taken the money and founded X amount of separate studio's to make the game. There was NO need for this to have ever been done, had he outsourced he would have had all he needed made on time and a set budget. I can't think of another crowdfunded game that gathered a large amount of cash for a title then went about building a mini gaming empire. I personally did not pledge my money for him to found a gaming company, I pledged my money for his gaming company to make the game, and yes there is a distinction.

We might get S42 releashed this year, I think this will probably happen although I think it might get over shadowed by other projects that are coming CoD:IW and ME:A being examples.

I don't want Star Citizen released as an MVP that will then have features added to it at leisure, it's currently in Alpha, and so far it looks (from the mighty youtube) to be still in need of alot of work, with a huge amount of the features not yet implemented.

What CIG/RSI need to do is simply provide a realistic release shedule and I'd imagine a large percentage of the naysayers would quiet down.
    CrazKanuk said:
    Erillion said:
    vorpal28 said:
    New article

Have fun

PS:

PPS:

Ha! Maybe you should read his new blog instead of spreading your normal misinformation.

Read about what? Another developer who has stayed with one company for years. *yawn*

Contextually speaking, turnover in tech-related companies is massive. Why? Because really smart, creative, innovative people want to do new stuff. So once the shiny is gone, they're out! I find it funny when people speak in completely contextually-specific terms with complete disregard for anything external. Did you know that the median tenure at Google is just over 1 year? How about that Amazon.com is only 1 year? 

Soooooo, yeah! Basically, if you are able to retain talent for a couple years, great! Two and a half years is actually pretty long. 

Also, while we're on the subject, why is it that The Escapist article was the MOST relevant thing in the world!!!!! Yet, someone who actually worked at CIG, but not anymore, essentially calls DSmart an idiot and the response is, "Yeah, but did you read his blog?!?!?" This is first party information from someone who had every opportunity to either say nothing or completely throw CIG under the bus. Instead, he chose to, in essence, laugh at DS.
    Hey that's great that Google and Amazon have a median tenure of 1 year. Now how about you compare some video game companies and the people in charge how long they have been there. I don't care about the artist or programmer who is handed something and expected to do it but rather the person who is in charge of the programmers or artists. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kefo said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Erillion said:
    vorpal28 said:
    New article

Have fun

PS:

PPS:

Hey that's great that Google and Amazon have a median tenure of 1 year. Now how about you compare some video game companies and the people in charge how long they have been there. I don't care about the artist or programmer who is handed something and expected to do it but rather the person who is in charge of the programmers or artists. 

Yes, I completely understand how this works. Someone says something you believe. Someone refutes that with factual evidence. You say you don't care. Yes, we get how the cycle goes. Technology industries have the lowest employee retention of any industry. That's a fact. I would link something here to support that, but I'm assuming it would be pointless anyway. If you do have a genuine interest, feel free to Google it. It's actually quite interesting. 

Also, while I can appreciate you putting Management on a pedestal, they aren't the ones who need to learn the code base. While Managers are valuable because of the relationships they've created within a team, the grunts or peons are very important in that they very rarely hit the ground running. There is almost always a learning curve. So with lower retention rates, the problem becomes one of flattening that learning curve somehow because, otherwise, you have a 6-month uptake and another 6-months of productive work before they leave. See how that might be a problem? So, yeah, two and a half years is not problematic. Also, this isn't the first time that people started yelling about the sky falling when someone left CIG, is it? I understand it must seem like an integral cog to the CIG machine, but it really isn't.

Feel free to call me an idiot if CIG should release a press release indicating they cannot continue without him. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Kefo said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Erillion said:
    vorpal28 said:
    New article

Have fun

PS:

PPS:

Yes, I completely understand how this works. Someone says something you believe. Someone refutes that with factual evidence. You say you don't care. Yes, we get how the cycle goes. Technology industries have the lowest employee retention of any industry. That's a fact. I would link something here to support that, but I'm assuming it would be pointless anyway. If you do have a genuine interest, feel free to Google it. It's actually quite interesting. 

Also, while I can appreciate you putting Management on a pedestal, they aren't the ones who need to learn the code base. While Managers are valuable because of the relationships they've created within a team, the grunts or peons are very important in that they very rarely hit the ground running. There is almost always a learning curve. So with lower retention rates, the problem becomes one of flattening that learning curve somehow because, otherwise, you have a 6-month uptake and another 6-months of productive work before they leave. See how that might be a problem? So, yeah, two and a half years is not problematic. Also, this isn't the first time that people started yelling about the sky falling when someone left CIG, is it? I understand it must seem like an integral cog to the CIG machine, but it really isn't.

Feel free to call me an idiot if CIG should release a press release indicating they cannot continue without him. 
    You seem angry. Are you angry? Cause that's not like you lol
    Some gaming companies have great retention rates, Blizzard for example