Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my Interest in mmo's is gone i think

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I find the quest grind insulting to my gamer spirit.  It's truly lame and the quest/task are lame.  I have always been a UO/SWG type anyways so the genre abandoned me long before I have abandoned it.  

I think a lot of people are conflicted with the progression grind being all they know and maybe want but being bored with it.  I am one of those who disliked the purpose of MMORPG being progression grinds over virtual world from the start.  There are only so many ways you can do mass progression and it seems like the genre is stale to the point that a staple of the genre are frowned on.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Same. Why waste time playing an MMO when I can play Overwatch and have fun immediately.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    In the same boat here as well. I only have hopes for the two darkfall games. Rest seems a bit too casual and non-rewarding when it comes to PvP
  • Bear1968Bear1968 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Survival Games like H1Z1 add a new twist and are a nice change up and fun as hell!
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I've given up on them for now unless something really comes by and catches my eye. Going to stick with quick games like overwatch, etc.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    No longer am i a mmo player to, more focused on single player games these days...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

You have to play games where you can make a name for your self. That is what will keep you logging in. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Recore said:

You have to play games where you can make a name for your self. That is what will keep you logging in. 
    nah .. everyone has a different preference.

What keep me playing (not all games require logging in) is fun activities, and previously unseen content. I have enough real life friends, and I don't even have enough time for them, not to mention online people. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Recore said:

nah .. everyone has a different preference.

What keep me playing (not all games require logging in) is fun activities, and previously unseen content. I have enough real life friends, and I don't even have enough time for them, not to mention online people. 

That is too basic. Every game has fun activities and unseen content. 

I want to be somebody. Known in the world for my Tanking skills, Crafting, or PVP.

You are right, everybody has a different preference. Mine has evolved past yours.
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Same. Why waste time playing an MMO when I can play Overwatch and have fun immediately.
    Instant gratification are what MMOs are all about these days, isn't it?  You should feel right at home.

VG

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    After installing Rift which i still have my original account & characters i started a new character played a bit but couldn't get back into it at all.
    i tried out wildstar for the first time last weekend played up to the almost lvl 10 but have had no urge to get back into that game either.

normally i have no problem getting back into a game even if i've been gone for awhile but then again this loss of interest could be because i've gotten older and have other things to focus on like PS4 gaming or gaming on Steam but aside from a handful of games on steam i don't feel like getting into many other games i own for one reason or another. 

has anyone else had this issue where their heart just isn't into certain mmo games anymore ?
    I find that as I grow older and my experience grows, my tolerance diminishes. This applies to most things in life, but particularly to my hobbies. 

My free time is precious to me. I hate working for a living (though, I guess everyone does!) so when I'm not working I try to ensure that my free time is well spent. Sometimes this means focusing on relaxing to destress for work, so I might watch TV, play games, go for a walk etc. Sometimes this means focusing on health - cooking better quality meals, going to the gym or just going to bed early. Sometimes this means trying to grow as a person - learn a new skill, get better at a sport (roller derby ftw), acquire new knowledge. Point is, at the end of my free time I want to feel better than I did at the start of my free time. 

When it comes to games, I get my enjoyment / relaxation from a few fundamental processes:

• Seeing something new - finding new towns / cities, awesome views, new characters etc. It's exciting to see what amazing worlds the developers have built. 
    • Mastering the mechanics - its like problem solving. Identify the mechanics, test your hypothesis, problem solve, come to optimal conclusion. Theres a lovely little dopamine kick when you solve a problem
    • Being better than others - this one is very narcissistic, but I like knowing that I'm better than other players. It isn't about being top dog and is in no way attached to loot or time spent, I simple enjoy knowing that I can play a game better than other people. Also, I only care about people i know personally - I couldn't care less about being better than strangers!

As I get older and experience more and more games, I see less new stuff. A lot of it seems rehashed or simply generic. So, I get less enjoyment out of simply seeing new things. Even when I was young, this source of pleasure is limited - you don;t have to play a game for that long before you've seen most things and gotten used to it. 

The same applies to mastering the mechanics. The more games I've played, the more mechanics I've seen which makes each new game just a little bit easier to learn and master. In addition, my 25yrs of gaming has shown me many cases of "how to do it right", but many games do a half arsed job. This means not only do I find it easier and easier to master a game, but I'm faced with constant disappointment that the developers didn't take their systems far enough, shortening the lifespan of my enjoyment even further. 

As for being better than my friends, this only really applies when the game is challenging enough for player skill to shine through. If the game is too easy (as most MMOs now are) then it kills off friendly competition. How can I be satisfied about playing a game well if the game is easy?

So, over the last 3 years I've basically experienced the same burnout. I haven't found a single MMO that meets my criteria and will provide me with lasting entertainment, so I'm relegated to beta testing and waiting. With single player games, the same thing happens. I'll buy and try a game but the majority of them I get bored of within a few hours so quit and don't return. 

But, when I find a game I like, it reminds me why I love gaming. My latest game is Total War: Warhammer and I've sunk a lot of hours into it. The mechanics are sufficiently challenging that it has taken me a while to get to grips with everything. The game is new, and even though I'm familiar with the Warhammer IP, I love seeing new units show up in people's armies. My brother is also playing it at the same time and this is providing me with friendly competition - my campaign is going slightly better than his!

Before Total Warhammer I had a few weeks break where I couldn't get into anything, but before that was Final Fantasy 9. Sometimes it'll take me months to find a game that can really hold my interest. But, the wait is worth it and I just make sure that if I'm not enjoying a game, I don't waste my time on it and move on to something else. 
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    I find that as I grow older and my experience grows, my tolerance diminishes. This applies to most things in life, but particularly to my hobbies.
    Same here.  As I grow older, my experiences (both good and bad) increase.  There comes a point when I know what I like and enjoy.  The reverse is also true.l

VG

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Recore said:
    You have to play games where you can make a name for your self.
    That includes any game since it is not related to game mechanics but personal skills.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    edited June 2016
    All I want is an immersive open world sandbox that does not have mandatory open world pvp. (or an updated Star Wars Galaxies game would do lol). I can't believe no one sees the need for this, they keep making full loot/pvp games. Not all of us want that. I want the option to pvp, or the option to just explore and not be worried about getting ganked. I miss SWG =/
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Most of the genre has lost all credibility with bikini contests and selling unimmersive crap all over.  They don't even bother with any history or lore to the world.  When you release a new race and the highlight is some lame assed dance that doesn't fit the setting, you've lost me.  
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Kyarra said:
    I can't believe no one sees the need for this
    There is no point making a game for non-existing audience, that isn't hard to comprehend.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'm with you. My first MMO was Earth and Beyond. I loved it and played often. Then I moved to City of Heroes and played that almost daily (I took breaks occasionally) from opening weekend to the final day. Since then I've tried STO and Neverwinter and even a little bit of WoW before going to Wildstar. I couldn't quite get into any of them. Even though I love W* I only play it once or twice a week. Other things have taken up my time. Before I would make time for CoH, now not so much. When/if W* ends I'll going to call it quits for MMOs completely and move on to other hobbies. If I buy a game I want to have it for years on end, not just until the servers stop being profitable.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    slygamer1979 said:
     "I've gotten older and have other things to focus on like PS4 gaming or gaming on Steam "
    Lol this has got to be a troll remark.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited June 2016
    Recore said:
    I want to be somebody. Known in the world for my Tanking skills, Crafting, or PVP.
    I designed the orbital system, astrology (and astronomy), a couple of dozen critturs, a few major quests, some spiffy magical artifacts and several Events. Major work on two Classes and twenty-ish spells. A city street is named after one of my PCs.

... All for a game damned few people have ever even heard of, much less played.

e-fame is the most ephemeral of all goals.

No one remembers the game's most gigantic epeen in three years after he leaves. I wouldn't place a bet on being remembered for three months.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited June 2016
    Whatever.

ps; Guildwars and Path of Exile aren't MMO's. 
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited June 2016
    I find the problem is that progression has been standardized. The kinds of ways characters can progress in an MMO is VERY limited, so its a damned if you do damned if you dont thing.

People are tired of the traditional forms of progression in MMO, but there are no other choices. So either you find one you can tolerate, or dont play them at all.

The only kind of progression that hasnt been done is no progression, really. You start the game as a class, fully capable, with ample skill customization, but no levels, no stats, nothing. But then you still have to have stuff to do, so what choices are there? Quests, grinding or trading... i mean its all been done to death.

MMO's arent really worse, we are just tired of every form of play style that they can really give us. Really the only innovation left for MMO is in diff control schemes, and VR experiences.
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I play mostly single player games nowadays 
    bought Doom & Far Cry Primal on steam sale recently and playing Civ V & BE but haven't done them online yet.

I was just going to post a something about most MMO's i look at nowadays are korean made games they look good but have two massive problems 1.the grind & 2.cash shop bullshit

my MMO gaming i think started with Runescape when i was in high school and i spent years playing it on and off then a friend of my older brother's got me into WoW and i spent years on that from 2006-2011 playing and during those years i played a lot of other mmo's in between for a month or two at a time but went back to WoW.   If i got anything out of my time spent on WoW i made some long time friends who i have on FB and we share stories once in awhile. I also had a good reputation as a solid player which got me some attention and guild invites to different guilds over the years. but i quit because of the expansion resets on my progress when i got Cata that was it for me i couldn't take that shit anymore lol. now i just play PS4 & PC games much of which are single player or online but don't play with people often. my only real online game i play is Warframe on PS4.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    The Limited Scope MMORPG is the culprit for me. The designers find a lane, shoot for the nearest known point of retail and call it good. The scale of most games is myopic. When I see so many MMORPG fans saying that they now play Overwatch instead it tells me that world building is a lost art. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Only games on my radar are Obduction, No Man's Sky, and Skyrim remastered.  Not a single MMO out or in development that interests me right now.  Very depressing.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Instant gratification are what MMOs are all about these days, isn't it?  You should feel right at home.
    Nah, it just needs to be fun from the start and longterm. I once could invest 100 hours+ doing boring stuff to Get to the fun. Maybe I'm getting old or sumthin, but I cant Get myself to do that shit anymore. 

I also cry for games where playing a class means hitting 3-4 buttons. I miss posibilities, like if you are smart you can defeat Goliath. I miss counters, counters to the counters and counter to the counter of the counter. That is using skill = win, but not the fps aim = skill, but knowledge-preparation = skill and win.