Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Citizen of the World

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageA Citizen of the World

Much of the Camelot Unchained news last week was “there is going to be bigger news next week (Friday)”. Unfortunately, I have to write this column before said bigger news lands so I ask, where does that leave my little chunk of internet real-estate? I suppose I could wax poetically about philosophical MMO concepts and sociology applied to MMORPGs then scaled up for use in real life but frankly looking at current events in society right now I find myself in a fairly disillusioned state.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    The most recent screenshots they've shown are gorgeous, I really like the environment so far

PBR water:

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited June 2016
    My guess is, (speculation on the number 4) something to do with PS4. I don't know if they can do the complete game crossover, but maybe Cube.
    Haroo!
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Tim and MMORPG,

Thanks, as always for the coverage and the story.

The most recent screenshots they've shown are gorgeous, I really like the environment so far

PBR water:

Thanks, slowly but surely the tech that we need to create a game that looks like it belongs in 2016, is being added to the engine. We're not there yet, but we're a heck of a lot closer to that than we were 6 months ago.
    While we have been very clear that Camelot Unchained will not look like the latest and greatest Unreal/CyrEngine/etc. game, we know, at a minimum, it has to look good. Over the next year we'll continue to push the boundary of what is possible while also maintaining a high frame rate in large-scale battles. I don't know where we will end up other than to say that I think a lot of people will be surprised at how good the game will look when we launch. At least, that's our plan.

Jermzy said:

My guess is, (speculation on the number 4) something to do with PS4. I don't know if they can do the complete game crossover, but maybe Cube.

It's a good and logical guess. Hopefully our Backers are very happy with what that number means to the game and the studio. As always, time will tell. Fortunately, the time is tomorrow. :)

Thanks again Tim, MMORPG and all those who read Tim's story.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Interesting article.... but I am still stuck on mankind's future.

Anyway, I am dreaming of wide scale building and crafting going on at the same time the boys are out playing cowboys and indians. The world is looking beautiful and I am ready to delve in deeper.

Nanulak

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Things are looking great, Mark! Still have my expectation unrealistically high for your latest and greatest! Looking forward to grand scale realm wars again!
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Jermzy said:

I would love to see a full cross over with the PS4 and/or Xbox One and the PC. Could you imagine all three mixed togeather in some really massive battles. That would be super impressive and since both Sony and Microsoft are really starting to open up to the idea of allowing cross play with each other and the PC, it is getting ever closer to something like that happening.
  • TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    edited June 2016
    Another interesting read!

The good news is that hate and ignorance lie on the wrong side of history. Believe it or not.
    Post edited by TigsKC on
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I've been a fan of Mark since I played my first MMORPG ever (DAOC vanilla), so it makes me happy to see him so involved with our little community here at MMORPG.com.

The game looks to be a very unique MMORPG experience.  I'm hoping they're able to instill the same kind of realm pride in CU we enjoyed in DAoC.  It's a much different audience these days, so it'll take some ingenuity to do it.

Pardon my general ignorance, but does anyone know what kind of servers they're going to use?  It may sound archaic in today's world, but I don't think megaservers are a good idea with this kind of title.  I feel like the experience should be a much more intimate one in the way DAoC RvR was, and megaservers really take away from that in my opinion.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

I've been a fan of Mark since I played my first MMORPG ever (DAOC vanilla), so it makes me happy to see him so involved with our little community here at MMORPG.com.

The game looks to be a very unique MMORPG experience.  I'm hoping they're able to instill the same kind of realm pride in CU we enjoyed in DAoC.  It's a much different audience these days, so it'll take some ingenuity to do it.

Pardon my general ignorance, but does anyone know what kind of servers they're going to use?  It may sound archaic in today's world, but I don't think megaservers are a good idea with this kind of title.  I feel like the experience should be a much more intimate one in the way DAoC RvR was, and megaservers really take away from that in my opinion.

Not to worry. CU will have multiple, smaller servers... not a megaserver. Remember your account is realm-locked on a per-server basis. There would need to be at least three servers (and likely more) to allow you to play each of the three realms.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Someone on reddit confused me with TT (should I be flattered? hmm... =) )

Anyway, here is that fancy comment:

Thanks for your article :) The things you say are near to my heart especially the kind words about the "re-abilitation". It was and still is a tough choise doing so but in the end it will bear great advantages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/4ofxy9/column_a_citizen_of_the_world/
     W...aaagh?
  • gerousgerous Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I hope its NOT anything to do with a PS4 crossover. I could not care less about consoles and would be dissappointed to think any dev time was being spent on it.... What's next a bloody mac port? sheesh.
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211

gerous said:

I hope its NOT anything to do with a PS4 crossover. I could not care less about consoles and would be dissappointed to think any dev time was being spent on it.... What's next a bloody mac port? sheesh.

In an RvR game, the more the merrier. Although i highly doubt this is the case. It was already stated it would be a huge timesink. Unless they are subbing it out to another company.....Still, all just speculation. We will have to wait till 3pm est today. :)
    Haroo!
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    @TimEisen Yea, from behind and 100 yards distance in a dark street on a rainy night - we look like twins. That must be it.
     W...aaagh?