Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO Had/Has the Best Loot System?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited June 2016
    First and foremost, and I think most people would likely agree:

Loot drops need to make sense.  I mean how dumb is it to have bears and wolves dropping gold and armor?  We've all seen that.
    Similarly, a giant mushroom monster probably wouldn't drop weapons/armor, etc. either.

As far as loot and raids and such, I do like the traditional idea of a dragon's lair full of treasures.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing that done to where you could actually sneak in and steal gold/items without killing the dragon, if you were really, really talented at sneaking around(and I don't mean magic invisibility stealth).

I believe, personally, that all the best things should be crafted by players.  I'm okay with raids playing a big part.  I mean, to craft that enchanted golem-skin leather jerkin, someone is going to have to kill the golem first.

Oh, and as far as current games:  None have impressed me enough to make me say they got it right.  There are alot of MMOs I haven't played, however.

TL:DR - I think mobs should drop what they carry, generally.  The gnoll with the iron sword should drop a regular iron sword, etc.  Loot should support crafting, not invalidate it.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Lokero said:

Loot drops need to make sense.  I mean how dumb is it to have bears and wolves dropping gold and armor?  We've all seen that.
    Similarly, a giant mushroom monster probably wouldn't drop weapons/armor, etc. either.

As far as loot and raids and such, I do like the traditional idea of a dragon's lair full of treasures.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing that done to where you could actually sneak in and steal gold/items without killing the dragon, if you were really, really talented at sneaking around(and I don't mean magic invisibility stealth).

I believe, personally, that all the best things should be crafted by players.  I'm okay with raids playing a big part.  I mean, to craft that enchanted golem-skin leather jerkin, someone is going to have to kill the golem first.

Oh, and as far as current games:  None have impressed me enough to make me say they got it right.  There are alot of MMOs I haven't played, however.

TL:DR - I think mobs should drop what they carry, generally.  The gnoll with the iron sword should drop a regular iron sword, etc.  Loot should support crafting, not invalidate it.
    STOP IT RIGHT F-ing NOW with the most people agree with BS. Calling you out on this.  Just stop it. 

Speak for yourself and what you want.  Do create this "most people want" as your imaginary army of people supporting your point.  It is fake.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    STOP IT RIGHT F-ing NOW with the most people agree with BS. Calling you out on this.  Just stop it. 

Speak for yourself and what you want.  Do create this "most people want" as your imaginary army of people supporting your point.  It is fake.
    Well, that "most people would agree" thing was related specifically to the animals dropping loots, not to the rest of my post.  And, I would wager that most people would agree with that statement about the wolves and bears and such dropping nonsensical loots.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    AC                     /end
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Crafting would have to be much more important then or no one would kill animals.....UO did a good job of loots on mobs but it was a pain in the @$$ to sort through the drops to see if anything was any good.....I just usually role played that the bear was guarding a helmet that he dropped and not really wearing it....Kinda like a dragons lair or something.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited June 2016
    "Most people would agree" that full loot better be happening in our virtual games than come knocking at our doorsteps due to lack of games that offer us worthy loot that we enjoy obtaining.

Games are directly responsible for the delay of third world war as well as avoiding many conflicts through the world. Entertainment, especially cheap one is what keeps us from going full loot and PvP on each other. To answer OP question what MMO has/had the best looting system, it is the one where it takes great skill and risk to obtain such loot as well as great chance to lose it for using it unwisely.

Loot that gives me significant advantage, power or simply glory/bragging rights for the community around me to witness is is the loot that satisfy me the most, not some loot that boost my character by 1-2% overall power, which at the end regardless of how good loot I could have I still can't overcome some newb gank of 2-3 and lose it. That's one of the worst loot designs I've seen.

I liked SWG loot the most since first I had to become powerful to use powerful loot, which took year+ of dedication and persistence. My jedi with the powers I obtained and the loot to go with it made me feel like a true jedi knight at the end in the Alliance, where I could actually stand my ground on newb ganks and use force speed to separate myself from massive zergs. It was a truly epic experience and sadly this is what's been lacking a lot in our modern MMO's, a place where players can feel the glory, and become something more than a clone of others around them.

edited June 2016
    Bit of a random thought:

You are roaming through the wilds, and off in the distance you see a massive, giant snake.  It's terrifying, and he could probably swallow you whole.  Still... how can you resist checking out such a massive creature?

It's not moving much, so you bravely(or foolishly) approach.  As you get a good view, you notice that there is a piece of armor actually emerging from its mouth.
    That's right, apparently you aren't the only brave and curious person to approach the snake... it is regurgitating the remains of its last admirer.

Before you get over the shock that giant snakes seem to be re-gifters, the snake finishes and slithers away, ignoring you completely(he's probably eaten enough adventurers lately) and leaving you with the remains.

You pity the fool who believed that some metal armor would protect him/her from a creature that could simply swallow him/her instantly... But, while looting through his/her (slimy)armor, you have to admit to yourself, this person had good taste in gear.

^ That's the kind of thing I wouldn't mind seeing as far as loots go.  I guess it would also give new meaning to the term "corpse looting".

Edit for clarity:  I'm not talking about players actually losing all their stuff or anything, specifically.  Two main points being: 1) Loot tables being based on/affected by players previously killed by monsters(rather than completely random or fixed). 2) Loot can be acquired in more creative ways than only "kill Raid Boss A".
    Post edited by Lokero on
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Xodic said:
    I liked the days where a sword was a sword and a magical sword was a magical sword, not a level 60 sword, a blue level 60 sword or a purple level 60 sword. 

So much this.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I've played a lot of MMO's and, while I've had a lot of fun raiding and engaging in challenging content with my friends, I pretty much detest the entire idea of random, fully formed, loot drops from bosses.

I hate the bad blood that it creates.  I hate the tension in the air when 2-3 people need the same item and suddenly the guy you were just laughing and joking with is your worst enemy because you both need some ridiculous glowing gloves of prostrate examination +10.

The one system that I want to see, and that I still haven't seen yet, is a system where the boss drops items that are required for crafting rather than fully formed loot.  If our raid kills a giant wyvern, then we should basically get all of the useful crafting parts of that creature as a single pile of loot.  The guild can take the crafting materials and either sell them on the market and divvy up the profits to the raiders, or craft items with them to sell back to the raiders at a fair 'guild market value', or craft items and sell them on the market and divvy those profits up for the raiders.

We do this in EVE Online already in a way.  The big 'bosses' of the world drop extremely rare loot.  So one person takes the loot, we do a quick market check, that person splits the profits among us before he even sells it and then he keeps his portion of the profits after the sale.  If he manages to sell it for more, and make more profit, then that's the benefit of being the guy who has to do the leg work.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    RNG has to make sense too....how is that I only have a chance of getting a tiger paw off of a tiger???? But so many get x item quests do this and put rng on the dumbest stuff....
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2016
    I am not sure what game has this loot system but I like one that allows crafters which is what I like to play,  while hunting come across even rare ingredients totally by chance and through crafting then make items. Since the rare ingredients are all based on chance and the more you hunt the better your chance is it encourages hunting and rewards it. There should also be dungeon loot of course but crafters can make items too.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Planetside 1

You never had to worry about losing gear, but you could acquire different factions' loot by looting the enemy players. And you had storage lockers to keep them in. I thought this was a really fun for a fps kind of game.

for traditional mmorpg games..

Everquest

I think EQ was the best. Usually if you were lucky enough to get gear, it was useful, and if you couldn't use it, you could sell it. It wasn't like the standard system, where you get a bunch of junk gear while questing that you just sell to the vendor.

There were also lots of items in the game that you would keep forever and never want to sell, like the breathe underwater earring, things that gave you night vision, items with spells on them (like healing), items that summon things, etc.

The best part about the loot there is that most of it was tradable, even after use.

But ... there is no way I would have the amount of time I did to play that kind of game again. It was a blast, but I could never repeat it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited June 2016
    Kopogero said:
    "Most people would agree" that full loot better be happening in our virtual games than come knocking at our doorsteps due to lack of games that offer us worthy loot that we enjoy obtaining.

Games are directly responsible for the delay of third world war as well as avoiding many conflicts through the world. Entertainment, especially cheap one is what keeps us from going full loot and PvP on each other. To answer OP question what MMO has/had the best looting system, it is the one where it takes great skill and risk to obtain such loot as well as great chance to lose it for using it unwisely.

Loot that gives me significant advantage, power or simply glory/bragging rights for the community around me to witness is is the loot that satisfy me the most, not some loot that boost my character by 1-2% overall power, which at the end regardless of how good loot I could have I still can't overcome some newb gank of 2-3 and lose it. That's one of the worst loot designs I've seen.

I liked SWG loalledt since first I had to become powerful to use powerful loot, which took year+ of dedication and persistence. My jedi with the powers I obtained and the loot to go with it made me feel like a true jedi knight at the end in the Alliance, where I could actually stand my ground on newb ganks and use force speed to separate myself from massive zergs. It was a truly epic experience and sadly this is what's been lacking a lot in our modern MMO's, a place where players can feel the glory, and become something more than a clone of others around them.
    There are still games that permit this sort of power imbalance, or supremacy between players.

Difference is instead of making you grind for it for over a year they sell it to you via the RNG cash shop. 

EVE recently went down this road, used to be it would take almost 30 real years to get all possible skills (meaning it was near impossible unless the game even lasted that long) and there was a cap on how fast one could earn skills.

Now with the magic of the cash shop, you can buy full skill injectors from other players and accelerate your skill gains tremendously.

In a close to home example I just had a corpmate say the other day he went from no skills in flying cruiser hulls to good skills in a day.

Now he may have just used ISK he earned in game, or bought PLEX and then sold them for ISK which he could then use to accomplish it.

One very wealthy player recently used his massive ISK reserves (aledgedly from running an in game lottery) to obtain every skill in the game with an estimated cash value of $28K.

Fortunately with EVE's skill caps on activities this has far less impact on other players, especially long term veterans such as me, but still is a power gap (or advantage if you will) that can be influenced by spending cash. (or if you are ISK rich enough in game.)

Also one other big limiter is the skill points can only be extracted from other characters in the game, meaning not everyone can tale this road or an inverse sort of ponzi pyramid sets in where eventually there won't be any characters left willing to sell their skill points.

Not the only game that sells power imbalance though, and in games such as AA or BDO it can be more impactful on others.

Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jg999jg999 Member CommonPosts: 10
    I'll second realistic loot drops on mobs (like animals). I think there should be less item loot drops and more crafting importance placed in games- loot can usually deincentivize crafting. Trash loot should be the opinion of players view in what they can use/create/ sell something for, a free market sort of thing, not developers views. Would make it more interesting to me.
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    darkfall or similar,
    And also reading this thread again this morning .. D+D online has a great loot system also ...My 3 favorites

1.AC
       2. DDO
       3. AO                 tied with UO  wad very generic in the early years and its playfield and full loot dictated that .. but later it got more interesting as expansions added content
    edited June 2016
    Asheron's Call has an awesome loot system which encourages player trading to search for that perfect stat combination.
    A mix of AC1's loot system and UO's crafting system would have been an amazing itemization mechanic.
    Man AC system is so fuggin fun ...  and even made grinding mobs a great time , i may fire it up and play some without using any of the portal subway or bots :)

why .. why cnat Turbine /warner just make AC3 based on AC1 .. it would be a great game ...
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Minecraft has a nice system. The armor is crafted and repaired from raw materials, occasionally you find armor in a chest, typically it needs repaired, this still requires materials. Occasionally there is a special enchant on the items too, store it at your custom built home and use it for the right application, such as fire armor to resist fire damage and so on. 
  • HeronnHeronn Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited June 2016
    any loot dropping that doesn't require me to be on the alert after every single monster kill, lets face it. I am not playing a game to only kill a single monster and be done. I think the worst ones, no matter what the contents of loot might be  are the ones that just spew out the monster and expect you to run all over the place to collect.

This version makes me rage when I see it in a game
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Asheron's Call had the best loot slot machine.  Any drop had the potential to be useful, whether it was to break it down into materials, wear it as part of a matched set for vanity purposes, have a useful resistance or high armor value, that minor or major you needed during crafting, decent in every way plus that minor or major or more that you wanted while adventuring, or that self-buffing item for someone without the ability or will to cast buffs all the time. 
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Everquest

I'm talking a view of Everquest after a few expansions.

While most MMOs struggle with expansions, or even patches, obsoleting gear, EQ did not.  Sure, hardcore raiders were probably always wearing current expansion gear, but if you take a look at a casual raider or group player you were likely to see pieces of gear across several expansions.  

Also, the game balanced risk vs reward with loot better than most, which ties into the previous point.  If you were in a casual raid guild and doing a raid from a prior expansion and it was challenging, its very likely the gear would be upgrades for you.  Same thing with grouping.  Gear acquisition was not limited to the expansion you were currently in.

I think a large part of EQ's success is that the casual and semi casual had so much to do for their own progression. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Lokero said:

I don't need my own post. . I agree with this completely.  I wish some game could make this work with an MMO economy.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    waynejr2 said:
    Lokero said:

Yikes I'm not sure that requires all caps and cursing.  Looks like it has been edited?  I am seeing "most people would likely agree" now.  I think you are going to have a hard time getting rid of this on forums.  I just always assume that it is opinion and self biased.  I know one thing:

Most people suffer from illusory superiority.  This "most people" quote is a fact and something that you are not going to be able to get away from.  I appreciate your not liking it though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• mustang2750mustang2750 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    For current MMOs the best loot system imo is Elder Scrolls Online
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    natpick said:
    darkfall or similar,
    Dude, do you need attention or what? Can you make that sig even bigger?