Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New allegations of art plagiarism and plans to disable the tutorial.

Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
edited June 2016 in Star Citizen
CIG can't make a good tutorial, or they don't care to fix the one they've started, at this time.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4n61ea/petition_for_response_from_cig/d4142cw
"No disagreement here! Backers looking out for our best interests is one of the thing that makes this process great.

I'm happy to report that we talked about this in today's sync, and the tutorial will be removed from the menu before the next Free Fly. (I also don't want to take credit the change; QA brought it up first!)"

How tough is it, really, to make a tutorial? Discuss.

In other news, Art Directors at CIG aren't very thorough.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop3k1
Is CIG hierarchy to blame? Probably not, but if they couldn't tell Gardiner's neck isn't that long, maybe they need eye exams. How hard would it have been to just take a new pic of her? Isn't she on the payroll, for some strange reason?

and more ..

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop5hj

http://www.pcinvasion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Star-Citizen-Banu_merchantman_side_Version_A_callout-2-1024x379.jpg

and I'd like to include a shout-out to Gameinformer for taking CIG to task for what was an obvious lie in 2015 development timeline.
 http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/06/08/from-nintendo-nx-to-star-citizen-our-e3-2016-longshots.aspx

"Developer Cloud Imperium Games has said that the game, with its various components, will come out by the end of this year. However, this schedule from early 2015 is already off-track given that the first episode of the single-player campaign, Squadron 42, definitely isn't out as planned."

People sometimes buy things on the relative immediacy of availability. Telling people something will be available much sooner than the reality is a dirty trick. They had to have known such a schedule wasn't possible in 2015, but they lied to make sales. Hey, just make excuses later, like that people don't know what they're talking about, right? It makes CIG look like they don't know what they're talking about.

Comments

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    It's too early for a tutorial as the few workling mechanics ingame change on daily basis.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    First they have to finalize the game mechanics. THEN it makes sense to make a tutorial, based on things you know won't change until launch day. As the current tutorial is known to be broken in some places, its better to turn it off.

W.r.t. to the art issue. I concur that CIG should more carefully check on the work submitted by freelance artists. It seems those freelancers took some shortcuts and sold the outcome as their own work to CIG. CIG had no reason so far to assume that this is not genuine artwork made by those freelancers themselves. Now they have reason.

W.r.t. timeline - yes, things take longer than expected. CIG was optimistic in some of their estimates and backers have talked about this unrealistic optimism in the official forums since 2012.
    Do I personally think these were deliberate LIES ? No.

Have fun
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Adjuvant1 said:
    CIG can't make a good tutorial, or they don't care to fix the one they've started, at this time.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4n61ea/petition_for_response_from_cig/d4142cw
    "No disagreement here! Backers looking out for our best interests is one of the thing that makes this process great.

I'm happy to report that we talked about this in today's sync, and the tutorial will be removed from the menu before the next Free Fly. (I also don't want to take credit the change; QA brought it up first!)"

Is CIG hierarchy to blame? Probably not, but if they couldn't tell Gardiner's neck isn't that long, maybe they need eye exams. How hard would it have been to just take a new pic of her? Isn't she on the payroll, for some strange reason?

and more ..

The tutorial was removed upon player request. It definitely needs more work plus at this stage of the alpha it doesn't fulfill any real purpose. However it is still better than many finished games tutorials i've seen over the years.

As for art usage with no permission, yes it is definitely bad practice and an issue. CIG should look into this ASAP before it snowballs into something bigger.

However...

I will give you a friendly advise about being extra careful who you quote and link to.

You see this guy was caught using entire blocks of a press release from Bioware, and by using i mean copy - pasted, in order to promote Alganon back in 2010. Of course he shifted the blame to a subordinate and went on doing his stuff. And of course being the individual he is he has the nerve to point fingers and lecture others. Luckily not all people have the memory capacity of a goldfish as he presumes.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Shodanas said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

and more ..

The tutorial was removed upon player request. It definitely needs more work plus at this stage of the alpha it doesn't fulfill any real purpose. However it is still better than many finished games tutorials i've seen over the years.

As for art usage with no permission, yes it is definitely bad practice and an issue. CIG should look into this ASAP before it snowballs into something bigger.

However...

I will give you a friendly advise about being extra careful who you quote and link to.

You see this guy was caught using entire blocks of a press release from Bioware, and by using i mean copy - pasted, in order to promote Alganon back in 2010. Of course he shifted the blame to a subordinate and went on doing his stuff. And of course being the individual he is he has the nerve to point fingers and lecture others. Luckily not all people have the memory capacity of a goldfish as he presumes.

Does that makes what I posted disingenuous, or are you deflecting?
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited June 2016
    I don't care about this game one way or the other but I'll say this,

It's better to be hated than ignored.  All you guys are doing with your unending hatred of the game is feeding it, getting it more and more widespread advertising and making its defenders love it all the more (And throw more money at it in the process to spite you).  If you think you are hurting the game you're deluded.

Derek whats his face is another matter, he is a nobody developer with multiple failures under his belt that is getting some fame from hating on a game that is popular.  Him I understand since this is the only way he will ever accomplish anything ever in his god awful "career".  Hating this is his one chance in life.

As an example, you know that new ghostbusters film that everyone hates and has millions of dislikes?  The dislikes are working in its favor, it got more advertising from being crap than it ever would otherwise.  The film will make billions based on just how well known it is and how curious people are.  It will also get feminists and sjw plebs to get see it who never would of otherwise.
  • dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited June 2016
    PSA: You need to continue reporting people who are baiting, harassing, attacking, taking threads off-topic etc. They ARE being banned; but if you don't report it, there won't be any consequences.

They continue to attack, harass, deflect, post unfounded allegations, lies, take unflattering threads off-topic in order to get them locked, which then ends the unflattering discussion.

Just do it. It's only two clicks.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

edited June 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
      Oh jeez, the oldest trick in the White Knight handbook. Deflecting to DS. Lawl

I think you both need to educate yourselves on what deflecting is.

I wrote that using art without permission is bad practice and an issue. I wrote that CIG must resolve this issue fast before it evolves into something that can harm SC.

However, since the OP regularly uses DS as a source of info and provides links to his blog & tweets i decided to give you people some insight about how big of an hypocrite, among other things, this individual is.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    So two wrongs make a right then?
    edited June 2016
    As to the latest plagiarism claim, it's very clear actually, and leaves no room for interpretation.

The privateer concept image created by Rob Mckinnon for CIG is of actor Ian Somerhalder. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0813812/

An image which CIG then plastered a copyright notice (see lower right corner of screen) on

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/xtdzzbsiamwidr/source/SC_PRIVATEER_OPTION_001_FRONT_RM.jpg 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12976-Aurora-Sale-Thanks

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Shodanas said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

I wrote that using art without permission is bad practice and an issue. I wrote that CIG must resolve this issue fast before it evolves into something that can harm SC.

However, since the OP regularly uses DS as a source of info and provides links to his blog & tweets i decided to give you people some insight about how big of an hypocrite, among other things, this individual is.
    That is literally deflecting mate.

Instead of discussing solely on the topic at hand you went on a rant on a guy that didn't even needed to be mentioned.

Shodanas said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

"However, since the OP regularly uses DS as a source of info..."

Unfounded. I can cite half a dozen threads off the top of my head, started by me, which hit this site before DS dissemination. That was a lame attempt to dismiss my contribution. I consider it a compliment from you, though, so, thanks.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    scorpex-x said:

It's better to be hated than ignored.  All you guys are doing with your unending hatred of the game is feeding it, getting it more and more widespread advertising and making its defenders love it all the more (And throw more money at it in the process to spite you).  If you think you are hurting the game you're deluded.

Derek whats his face is another matter, he is a nobody developer with multiple failures under his belt that is getting some fame from hating on a game that is popular.  Him I understand since this is the only way he will ever accomplish anything ever in his god awful "career".  Hating this is his one chance in life.

As an example, you know that new ghostbusters film that everyone hates and has millions of dislikes?  The dislikes are working in its favor, it got more advertising from being crap than it ever would otherwise.  The film will make billions based on just how well known it is and how curious people are.  It will also get feminists and sjw plebs to get see it who never would of otherwise.
    And much like the silly uproar surrounding the new Ghostbusters film, one would suspect much of said uproar is being intentionally manufactured. It very much reminds me of the film The Wolf Of Wall Street where a hatchet job Forbes profile turns Jordan Belfort into an overnight sensation. Keep up the good work advertising for SC for free anti-fans. Bang up job.

Oh and nice to see you back Adjuvant, and also goodbye as I'm sure you'll be getting re-banned with all speed.
    Thanks. Knowing that it means more to you than to me, I'm happy to oblige, because it's always for the right reason.
    Yes the right reason, from the people who did wrong and still doing wrong. Hypocrisy at it's finest.
    That's not what was implied. I do right. I get punished. I was punished for the right reason. There's no real rule here but mob rule. I don't care what people think or say otherwise.
    In all honesty my friend you got punished because you couldn't control your temper and let people bait you into making comments that violated the site TOS. That's the point I've been trying to get across to many of you on that side of the argument, that your own behavior becomes self defeating to yourselves AND to your point of view. Which in the end actually benefits the very people you are fighting against.
    In all honesty, Mr. Zebub, my most recent ban was for alluding to both the time this site referred to a game project, over completed products, as "best in show" and the time this site made a guild for GW2, a game it showed clear favor over other products, and implying it might do the same for current games in development. I made a speculation, based on truth, which made the site look bad. I expect when I do it to make them mad. I have trouble giving a flying fuck. I might be unfixable in that regard.
    Bloodaxes said:
    Shodanas said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

Instead of discussing solely on the topic at hand you went on a rant on a guy that didn't even needed to be mentioned.
    - i wrote a comment regarding the tutorial.

- i portrayed my thoughts considering the unauthorized art usage by CIG. I believe i was quite clear about the matter. It is bad business and thus must be corrected fast.

- i did not mention said guy. The OP did by providing links to his tweets as his source of info. I merely pointed out the hypocrite said guy is.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    scorpex-x said:

And much like the silly uproar surrounding the new Ghostbusters film, one would suspect much of said uproar is being intentionally manufactured. It very much reminds me of the film The Wolf Of Wall Street where a hatchet job Forbes profile turns Jordan Belfort into an overnight sensation. Keep up the good work advertising for SC for free anti-fans. Bang up job.

Oh and nice to see you back Adjuvant, and also goodbye as I'm sure you'll be getting re-banned with all speed.
    Thanks. Knowing that it means more to you than to me, I'm happy to oblige, because it's always for the right reason.
    Yes the right reason, from the people who did wrong and still doing wrong. Hypocrisy at it's finest.
    That's not what was implied. I do right. I get punished. I was punished for the right reason. There's no real rule here but mob rule. I don't care what people think or say otherwise.
    In all honesty my friend you got punished because you couldn't control your temper and let people bait you into making comments that violated the site TOS. That's the point I've been trying to get across to many of you on that side of the argument, that your own behavior becomes self defeating to yourselves AND to your point of view. Which in the end actually benefits the very people you are fighting against.
    In all honesty, Mr. Zebub, my most recent ban was for alluding to both the time this site referred to a game project, over completed products, as "best in show" and the time this site made a guild for GW2, a game it showed clear favor over other products, and implying it might do the same for current games in development. I made a speculation, based on truth, which made the site look bad. I expect when I do it to make them mad. I have trouble giving a flying fuck. I might be unfixable in that regard.
    Fair enough. If I don't see you again before the inevitable happens, take it easy. Its been fun.
    I do what I feel I have to do. You do what you feel you have to do. Mods do what they feel they have to do. None of the latter reflects on me.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Shodanas said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Shodanas said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

- i wrote a comment regarding the tutorial.

- i portrayed my thoughts considering the unauthorized art usage by CIG. I believe i was quite clear about the matter. It is bad business and thus must be corrected fast.

- i did not mention said guy. The OP did by providing links to his tweets as his source of info. I merely pointed out the hypocrite said guy is.
    Even the last thread on mmorpg here regarding the edited image which had nothing linked to him changed subject to accusing the OP of being with goons and then into another dsmart hate thread.

So I beg to differ.

(Btw I don't give a rat's ass about both of them so I'm not defending anyone but the point of these threads going off topic on purpose so they get locked)

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I don't know which was off more.  The announced launch date by CIG or the announced ELE by smarty smart.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited June 2016
    filmoret said:
    I don't know which was off more.  The announced launch date by CIG or the announced ELE by smarty smart.  
    SC will eventually release be it in the near or distant (i hope not) future.

As for the E.L.E... i hope DS is not paying his lawyers by the hour. =)
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Kyleran said:
    I wonder what it's like to make it your lifes ambition (Derek's blog) or even your hobby (like this OP) to get up in the morning and find multiple faults with CR, CIG or SC?

I wonder what it is like to wake up everyday and defend cig,cr and your herem leader.
    Damn! I wonder what it would be like to wake up and see none of this. You fan- and hatebois really have lots and lots of time to waste on an unfinished game :)
    At least you provide mmorpg.com with content (though it is quite predictable).

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    This is information overload. What Star Citizen did was wrong and should be discussed between the backers and other interested parties. On the other hand I hope the game does well because it does look like it would be fun to play.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Distopia said:
    Kyleran said:
    I wonder what it's like to make it your lifes ambition (Derek's blog) or even your hobby (like this OP) to get up in the morning and find multiple faults with CR, CIG or SC?

I wonder what it is like to wake up everyday and defend cig,cr and your herem leader.
    In what way did he defend CIG? 
    Apparently If your not with someone your obviously against them and supporting the other side of the cause....

Some peoples brains aren't wired to see middle ground and cant understand someone who can.
    Shodanas said:

However...

You know that's 100% false. But don't let that stop you from using falsehoods to promote an agenda, while employing the usual deflecting tactic to derail the OPs thread.

Then you tell someone to be careful what they link to, while trying to shut them down and not providing any proof of link of anything you've stated. And you have nothing to link to because it's false.

Anytime someone points out something about CIG or Star Citizen, you guys yell "Derek Smart". It's getting old now. STICK TO THE TOPIC!!

Bascola said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Even the last thread on mmorpg here regarding the edited image which had nothing linked to him changed subject to accusing the OP of being with goons and then into another dsmart hate thread.

So I beg to differ.

(Btw I don't give a rat's ass about both of them so I'm not defending anyone but the point of these threads going off topic on purpose so they get locked)
    I got warning for making the thread. 

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/452023/tutorial-how-you-make-promo-artwork-for-spaceship

Unfortunately that's how it is on these forums. The mods are biased fambois and allow clowns like we have here in this thread to attack the OP instead of talking about the topic at hand.
    The main issue is that any attempt to defend a topic, just shows - and proves - that they simply have no argument to defend. So instead they attack, deflect, harass.

This plagiarism issue is rampant. Once is a coincidence, THREE times is not.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop7eb

And as I type this, there are others being looked into.

If this were another publisher or dev, they would all be jumping up and down, ready to attack them over it. But since it's CIG and Star Citizen, instead, they attack the people who caught it.

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    dsmart said:
    Bascola said:
    Bloodaxes said:

So I beg to differ.

I got warning for making the thread. 

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/452023/tutorial-how-you-make-promo-artwork-for-spaceship

Unfortunately that's how it is on these forums. The mods are biased fambois and allow clowns like we have here in this thread to attack the OP instead of talking about the topic at hand.
    The main issue is that any attempt to defend a topic, just shows - and proves - that they simply have no argument to defend. So instead they attack, deflect, harass.

This plagiarism issue is rampant. Once is a coincidence, THREE times is not.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop7eb

And as I type this, there are others being looked into.

If this were another publisher or dev, they would all be jumping up and down, ready to attack them over it. But since it's CIG and Star Citizen, instead, they attack the people who caught it.

Stones and glass houses Derek, fix your own mess of a game before you go and accuse others. Otherwise it's just Crab Mentality.
  • cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I think if they actually did use a copyrighted image they need to admit to it and stop doing it. However, in my opinion, using DS as a source is highly questionable. He has made a lot of accusations with little to no proof given, and a lot of predictions that haven't happened.

He has his own agenda, whatever that may be. These threads, and DS himself, are bringing a lot of attention to Star Citizen. From the videos I've seen of Line of Defense, there is a lot more playable in SC than there is in his game, which has been in development since 2009 or 2010. If he spent as much time working on his game as he does bashing CIG and SC, his game would have been out long ago.