Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG 2 in development

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
Welp a new unsubstantiated rumor about a reboot being in the works and we should hear info on this e3 this year or next. No info on who is developing it for now other than EA will have it's hand in publishing it. Shooting for 2017-18 before the end of the new trilogy. I can't tell you how I know....this message will self destruct in ......
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    EA can't deliver awesomeness.  Their corporate way of handling franchises, it will be just a game that exploits the SWG brand with fans and delivers a half assed game. It is as if they hate creativity (except when it comes into monetizing games).
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Tiller said:
    EA will have it's hand in publishing it.
    Then, I guess it doesn't really matter if it's true or not...
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    That would be .....i dunno....it gives me goosebumps when i think (back) about it. Time will tell....
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I feel I have been baited somehow, but what the hell it's fun to indulge.

I'm thinking action combat, instanced housing, and an unprecedented real money store. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The trouble with unsubstantiated rumours is, that tends to be all they are.
    If a development team really was working on a SWG 2, then there would be more credible sources rather than some oddball comment on a forum.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Archlyte said:

I'm thinking action combat, instanced housing, and an unprecedented real money store. 
    Exactly. I doubt there's any truth to the rumour but if there is we won't be getting SWG 2. It won't be anything like SWG, just some cheap knock-off borrowing the name to lure players in.

Archlyte said:

Exactly. I doubt there's any truth to the rumour but if there is we won't be getting SWG 2. It won't be anything like SWG, just some cheap knock-off borrowing the name to lure players in.

Yeah Battlefront comes to mind. Eye Candy galore but no depth or substance. They would have things like a Teras Kasi Vibroknuckler but no TK profession or class. Just a memoir weapon for $9.99
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Tiller said:
    Welp a new unsubstantiated rumor about a reboot being in the works and we should hear info on this e3 this year or next. No info on who is developing it for now other than EA will have it's hand in publishing it. Shooting for 2017-18 before the end of the new trilogy. I can't tell you how I know....this message will self destruct in ......
    Come back to me when there's more than that. Otherwise this means nothing. Sorry.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If EA are involved, the game will be nothing like SWG, but it will be "StarWarsy".

Think more in term of SWTOR 2 than SWG 2.....
    If EA are involved, the game will be nothing like SWG, but it will be "StarWarsy".

Unfortunately I'm sure you are right. They will use the same echo chamber designers and all that. They will probably want to re-use their stupid cinematic cutscene decision fork too. 

After the recent Starwars battlefront debacle, a game which graphically at least, looked amazing, but in all other ways was utterly rubbish, its hard to imagine that EA would venture outside of what they have with SW:TOR, its certainly extremely doubtful they would sink more money and resources into a genre that requires the level of effort that SW:TOR required before it eventually became successful, and the level of effort required to keep it so, and given that Starwars battlefront has such a low playerbase, despite the sales figures, isn't exactly conducive to them sinking more money into the IP, even less so for one that may or may not be a direct competitor with SW:TOR :p
    http://swbstats.com/
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited May 2016
    I hope they focus on combat,
     smart npcs that move to different areas depending on game 'politics' affected players and in game events,
    dynamic environments,
    open world mechanics such trade caravans,
    in depth crafting,
    music making,
    player made content (arenas, traps, quests etc),
     mini games (sports, cards, holochess, swoop racing),
    lots of races and customization for character creation,
    skill based system and not lvl ( unlock certain classes through epic quest chains),
    no mindless side questing taking up developers time (keep main story short and sweet but have lots of in game systems)
    Raid bosses, and certain 'epic' scenarios (think raids) but requires experience to clear
    Many ways to invest hard earned 'wealth' into game (poltiics, npc etc)

If they focus more on making the game have fun repitive content then the jounrey doesnt have to be as long, which means they can retain more customers for having great content that does exist, while later focusing on new content such as more 'story' and space combat etc

The problem with MMOs is they try to focus on story or the jounrey so much and making it long enough, that the lack other systems. They can try to incorportate a longer reason to play as in with NPC alignment, politics, and those choices matter, and having guilds and bounty hunting, also giving reason to playing alts.

Im not against making the jounrey short per se, but I am against the idea of killing an NPC for the 1000 time so easily to just to get a ding. That is pointless. And they can try to offer the same 'longetivty' of replaybility to their game by other means.

Such as making gold/wealth so much more important that 'farming' for gold allows for many fun and intreesting ways to do thing in the game. Such as paying NPCs (alingments), bounty hunting, building content etc

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I have this fear that it will be like what Disney did with Pirates of the Caribbean Online.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Phry said:

After the recent Starwars battlefront debacle, a game which graphically at least, looked amazing, but in all other ways was utterly rubbish, its hard to imagine that EA would venture outside of what they have with SW:TOR, its certainly extremely doubtful they would sink more money and resources into a genre that requires the level of effort that SW:TOR required before it eventually became successful, and the level of effort required to keep it so, and given that Starwars battlefront has such a low playerbase, despite the sales figures, isn't exactly conducive to them sinking more money into the IP, even less so for one that may or may not be a direct competitor with SW:TOR :p
    I agree with part of this: I don't think they'll sink more effort into another game than they have with Battlefront - the payoff versus the investment for that was huge for EA, whereas it took a lot of effort and time and iteration to get SWTOR to a point where it started to make sense (and even that's debateable, given the initial budget and investment to begin with).

That being said, I don't think they will walk away from the Star Wars IP - it's a very strong performer. EA specifically references Battlefront and Galaxy of Heroes (the mobile game) in their latest earnings report, which showed better-than-expected earnings.

I may not like the current games, but someone likes them enough to shuck out the cash. And cash is what the market follows, unfortunately in this case.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/10/star-wars-battlefronts-ongoing-success-helps-ea-earnings-beat-wall-streets-expectations/
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Phry said:
    The trouble with unsubstantiated rumours is, that tends to be all they are.
    If a development team really was working on a SWG 2, then there would be more credible sources rather than some oddball comment on a forum.
    Not true, this is precisely how news of TOR first surfaced. These types of rumors started popping up between 2005-2006... WHich just so happens to be the time the game started it's planning/development.

I'm not saying this is true (SWG2), still lack of official/credible sources, isn't a reason to write a rumor off outright.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Why would they make another SW mmo to compete with their current SW mmo?  It makes no sense and I highly doubt this is even a rumor.  Unless by rumor you mean OP starting one.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    Why would they make another SW mmo to compete with their current SW mmo?  It makes no sense and I highly doubt this is even a rumor.  Unless by rumor you mean OP starting one.
    Who knows what plans are for TOR moving forward, maybe they feel 2018 or so is a good time for a follow up (different type of MMO design). With more of a current product focus (the new star wars timeline). These types of companies always tend to think along those lines. Especially EA, they're not exactly known for long term product support, they usually opt for yearly releases of a franchise. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Ridelynn said:
    Phry said:

I agree with part of this: I don't think they'll sink more effort into another game than they have with Battlefront - the payoff versus the investment for that was huge for EA, whereas it took a lot of effort and time and iteration to get SWTOR to a point where it started to make sense (and even that's debateable, given the initial budget and investment to begin with).

That being said, I don't think they will walk away from the Star Wars IP - it's a very strong performer. EA specifically references Battlefront and Galaxy of Heroes (the mobile game) in their latest earnings report, which showed better-than-expected earnings.

I may not like the current games, but someone likes them enough to shuck out the cash. And cash is what the market follows, unfortunately in this case.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/10/star-wars-battlefronts-ongoing-success-helps-ea-earnings-beat-wall-streets-expectations/
    Its kind of hard to see how they can call the starwars battlefront an ongoing success, you really only have to compare it to games like BF4 etc to see how badly it is actually doing, at least beyond the initial box sales, although it is doing better than battlefield hardline, but, that should surprise absolutely nobody.
    Starwars battlefront has a combined server peak of nearly 50,000 players, 6000 of those on PC, compared to BF4 which has a combined peak of roughly 150,000 of which nearly 35,000 are on PC.
    If there is any ongoing success here, its from BF4, not SW:BF.

http://bfhstats.com/
    http://bf4stats.com/

Of course, it could be that the rise in revenue is really from the mobile game, but that would be kind of an embarassing one for EA, given the hype that surrounded SW:BF prior to launch etc.
    Wallstreet though, is all about gambling on tomorrow by hyping up today, those guys suffer from more hype than we do here, but then, i really don't think they live in the same world as the rest of us, sure am glad i don't live in thiers! :p

edited May 2016
    Player base doesn't matter except in subscription games. For games like SW:BF, it's all about box sales and paid DLC - however much they can get in that first year, before they have the "next" game to release and perform the cycle all over again.

That's pretty much how all of those multiplayer FPSs have gone (COD, BF, etc) - get lots of box sales up front, push DLC hard in the first year, then crank out a new version a year or so later and do it all over again.

100% agree with your statement about Wall Street.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I'd play it.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Unlikely...
    It would just mean that EA is putting money into building a game that will be in direct competition with a game that already cashs in on the IP - their own game.

Same reason why WoW 2 never happened.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ridelynn said:
    Player base doesn't matter except in subscription games. For games like SW:BF, it's all about box sales and paid DLC - however much they can get in that first year, before they have the "next" game to release and perform the cycle all over again.

That's pretty much how all of those multiplayer FPSs have gone (COD, BF, etc) - get lots of box sales up front, push DLC hard in the first year, then crank out a new version a year or so later and do it all over again.

100% agree with your statement about Wall Street.
    14M sales and counting and mentioned in dispatches as a key driver in their recent good results - SW BF has done well. The game looks amazing and plays OK. And will get better. As Destiny did. As WoW did even.

As for the "rumour" - 2017-2018 would be quick; not impossible for late 2018 with a big enough team but. And EA's deal with Disney is time limited as well - could be renewed of course. .  
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Tiller said:
    Fake, SWG fans would hate a sequel that aimed at a wider audience and it would compete with their other star wars mmo.  Basic business sense means it won't happen.
    edited May 2016

scorpex-x said:
    Tiller said:
    Fake, SWG fans would hate a sequel that aimed at a wider audience and it would compete with their other star wars mmo.  Basic business sense means it won't happen.
    idk... EQ2, GW2, L2, RO2, FFXIV...

There have been a lot of sequels to MMOs in the past, with varying degrees of success. I've never bought into the notion that MMOs "eat" into the sales of other MMOs, and that it has to be a winner-take-all scenario.